#61 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:58 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 25 August 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

Now you're just being inflamatory, and your argument literally makes no sense. Your whole "challenge" (more like chest puffing), is based around the LRM argument. That can't be done right in a 1v1 environment, and I hate to break this to you, but 1v1 would prove literally nothing. This game is not played 1v1, it's 12 v 12.

Also, this is a discussion in regards to a specific topic, and your posts are getting WAY off topic, either get back to it, or go post somewhere else.

Let me remind you who started it ...

View PostEscef, on 24 August 2014 - 07:54 AM, said:

Ok, hyperbole does not make for a good argument. Pull yourself in and try again.

View PostEscef, on 24 August 2014 - 08:17 AM, said:

Are you on drugs?

View PostEscef, on 24 August 2014 - 08:17 AM, said:

Look, you're a Founder, which means you theoretically have been at this game for 2 years, and have yet to learn how to deal with LRMs, apparently.

Prior to that I haven't made a single personal comment. I left my opinion, he started quoting my posts and making insults.

#62 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:44 PM

As stated by others, LRM assault usefulness varies wildly by chassis and playstyle. Generally, I wouldn't consider a chassis for a boat unless it had at least 40 tubes and focused on carrying ammo with minimal weight allocated to backup weapons. You tend to trade mobility for saturation in comparison to say, a medium LRMisher or a heavy like the ever-reliable Catapult. You'll be a bit more durable in the front than a lighter boat, but your slow movement makes you EXTREMELY vulnerable to light knife-fighter/assassin drivers such as myself. So, you know, don't do it if you are unsure about your team's willingness to protect and spot for you. You know the blue deathball thing that tends to manifest in most pugs? You want to be in the dead center of that, if you can without compromising your missiles' flight paths.

#63 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:40 PM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 25 August 2014 - 12:58 PM, said:

Let me remind you who started it ...

Prior to that I haven't made a single personal comment. I left my opinion, he started quoting my posts and making insults.

Fair enough. So we're in agreement then? This is stopping, and we're getting back on topic?

#64 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:15 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 25 August 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

1-Mediums need the assaults and heavies to tank for them, because they are facing off against lots of assaults and heavies. In your scenario, the assaults are already out of the equation playing the role of artillery. Meaning a LOT less threat to mediums now. Heavies will be the front liners when possible, and the meidums can play front and second line roles without much of a problem.

I haven't followed the discussion, but we are assuming the Assaults on both teams to be boating LRMs, right?

Your argument is fair enough, but most Heavies are not designed for extended front line combat in company sized battles. That also extends to mediums, which are much more designed towards skirmishing. There are so many variables with that situation, that the amount of problems required to be solved is beyond viable for either team.

2- Yes, a medium can in fact rely on a light to provide a distraction. It has been done. However, since it's not the usual role, it's not easy to pull off. Especially since the medium is now the bigger mech. However, plenty of teams will focus down the light, then there are others that will try to get a quick kill on the medium and then deal with the light. It's not as obvious as "do I shoot that 45 ton medium, or that 100 ton Atlas?"

it's not easy to pull off as it largely depends on the reaction enemy team and your own actions. It is easy to draw fire in a larger 'Mech. I've done that in the inverse role, drawing atrtention away from Lights who then were able to eliminate specific targets much better than if we had done the opposite, but being able to be present without showing prencence in a larger 'Mech is a skill not many can pull off.

#65 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:20 PM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 25 August 2014 - 06:15 PM, said:

I haven't followed the discussion, but we are assuming the Assaults on both teams to be boating LRMs, right?

Your argument is fair enough, but most Heavies are not designed for extended front line combat in company sized battles. That also extends to mediums, which are much more designed towards skirmishing. There are so many variables with that situation, that the amount of problems required to be solved is beyond viable for either team.

it's not easy to pull off as it largely depends on the reaction enemy team and your own actions. It is easy to draw fire in a larger 'Mech. I've done that in the inverse role, drawing atrtention away from Lights who then were able to eliminate specific targets much better than if we had done the opposite, but being able to be present without showing prencence in a larger 'Mech is a skill not many can pull off.

I completely agree with you.

#66 Malcolm Reynolds

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:26 PM

Awesome as a meat shield...........no just no. so what does a mech with energy and missiles with out jj do.......missile boat. sounds good to me.

#67 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:28 PM

View PostKitsune Kaji, on 25 August 2014 - 06:26 PM, said:

Awesome as a meat shield...........no just no. so what does a mech with energy and missiles with out jj do.......missile boat. sounds good to me.

To be fair, only one or two variants of the AWS chassis can boat LRMs, the rest should be either SRM brawlers, or second line long range units, with (ER)LLs, and (ER)PPCs.

#68 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:39 PM

Well, as far as the other end of the spectrum goes, the task of "tanking" is best accomplished by causing people to fire at you, but do so ineffectually. It's a tricky business, especially in an assault mech. They're big. It makes them easy to hit, even if you are driving one of those 80kph XL engine aberrations. The assault's primary virtue with regard to the receipt of enemy fire is that it tends to have a great deal of durability for when it is hit. Therefore, I suggest that the "tanking" assault be used less as some kind of distraction for your team while everyone cowers, and more like the point of a spear during a short-range offensive maneuver. Certainly, they may be focused on and swiftly blunted, but a group moving as a coherent unit can generally take advantage of the situation to engage the enemy with impunity during such an event.

So I suppose what I'm saying is that there are two kinds of tanking, speed tanking and armor tanking. Speed tanking is done by lights, or very fast mediums, and is accomplished by strafing at high speed through the enemy formation and getting them to face the wrong way for your main force's assault. I have a lot more practice with this than with armor tanking, so if I am incorrect in a hypothesis about the latter, please do not be too upset. Armor tanking, within my limited experience, is where the most heavily armored mech advances at maximum speed toward the enemy while making certain to spread damage to as many components as possible. It is not as effective as it once was, due to the advent of PPFLD resultant from the Jager and numerous other builds that have come about in this day and age, but it is still very possible with careful planning, coordination, and torso turning. Of the three things that one may focus on in building an assault, for this you want a good standard engine so that you may twist faster, and max or near-max armor. Because you are sacrificing weapons for a build that relies on your team to finish what you start, don't expect to see too many of these in PUGs. One final note, ECM helps with this in that you may negate some missile fire, or negate enemy ECM, thus reinforcing your teams ability to support your charge, so the DDC Atlas is an exceptional machine for this.

#69 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:22 PM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 25 August 2014 - 12:58 PM, said:

If you think pointing out that you made an argument that is pure hyperbole is an insult than you must think honesty and facts are insults.

#70 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:40 AM

View PostTim East, on 25 August 2014 - 06:39 PM, said:

Therefore, I suggest that the "tanking" assault be used less as some kind of distraction for your team while everyone cowers, and more like the point of a spear during a short-range offensive maneuver. Certainly, they may be focused on and swiftly blunted, but a group moving as a coherent unit can generally take advantage of the situation to engage the enemy with impunity during such an event.

You took a bit of extra mileage here, but you've got most of the basics down.

The idea of a Spearhead 'Mech is that of generating and reinforcing momentum. The pilot needs to be able to tell the formation of the enemy team, find the weakest point and lead the charge into it. Of course that leads us to the importance of mutual trust. You need to be able to trust your teammates to follow and conversely do you need to project the compentence to give people the idea that you know what you're doing.

When talking about momentum, I'm referring to which direction the fronts of both teams are moving. If your front is moving towards the enemy position, and in doing that possibly pusing the enemy front back, that is considered positive momentum. There are various roles 'Mechs can take to increase and reinforce positive momentum or to stop, disperse or redirect enemy momentum.

I'm keeping myself brief here, but if you want to read my ideas on that matter, including a number of other things, feel free to visit an old guide by me called "Noob Teams", the Matchmaker and You. I hope you find some of it insightful.

#71 Arctcwolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

Here's the problem with traditional tanking in terms of RPG's...

The tank usually has a self heal/damage resistance, or a separate player healing them...allowing them to continue "tanking" damage long term. This game isnt an RPG. Its a team based FPS.

The only true way to tank in this game is to use speed and agility to avoid damage. typically, this means a mech needs to be able to move 80 kph or faster to be able to fire from cover and retreat back before hostiles can return fire. with IS mechs, this can be customized based on engine selection. with clans, u have to pick the right mech.

If we are applying strategy to this game, then the mech role assignments should be as follows...

lights run ahead...scouting...harassing enemy positions by using speed, agility, and stealth to avoid damage while trying to slow or split up the enemy forces. later in the match, they focus on flanking enemy positions, focuing primarily on the heaviest mechs by tonnage, taking advantage of speed to out-maneuver the larger mechs, and ganging up on said mechs 2:1 or better.

mediums lead the main group...focusing on finding and hunting down light scouts, as well as hitting an enemys main force initially, drawing them into position for the heavier mechs to lay down fire, using speed and agility to avoid damage. later in the match, they play the role of harasser for enemy mechs, while also defending the heaviest mechs from light mech harassment.

heavies are the main fighters. they move into a superior firing position where they can do the most damage in the shortest time possible. most focus will be on mediums since they will lead the enemy group, then falling back to cover to reassess and reconfigure forces to best damage enemy mechs as quickly as possible. later in the match, they will help with cleanup of lights and mediums that try to flee or flank.

assaults are always the vanguard. the vanguard pulls up the rear, providing support and defending key positions with as much firepower as possible. they have no agility, so when they move, they better keep moving till they get to the next position of strength. they lay down fire against enemy heavies and assaults, as well as mop up mediums that have been diabled due to legging or loss of arms. they provide overwatch, alpha strike capabilities throughout the match. they are supposed to be the focal point around which the rest of the group operates.

This is how a fight is supposed to be organized, but it rarely happens. Smart assault pilots, tho, know their roles. they dont rush headlong into a fight. they provide support for the rest of the team.

The idea of using assaults as LRM boats fits the role well. Ive run battlemasters, stalkers, and warhawks successfully as LRM boats. once the lrm ammo is gone, i always have a few lasers handy to fight with at the end of a match. having even a pair of assaults who play proper support inceases the chances of a win dramatically. whether its lrm boats or artillery platforms, either one can be effective with the right pilot and technique.

With new modules such as radar deprivation, this makes it much marder to play as an LRM boat. most times, u need lighter mechs with narc and tag to find targets for u. this plays into what i said about strategy above.

#72 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:39 PM

1) Who says you have to be in the rear as an LRM boat?

2) I'd wager most people have crap accuracy with their LRMs.

#73 ShinobiHunter

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

View PostAce Selin, on 24 August 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

Don't listen to what others think, play how you want and what you find fun.

+1

#74 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:58 PM

View PostArctcwolf, on 26 August 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

assaults are always the vanguard. the vanguard pulls up the rear,

van·guard

ˈvanˌgärd/

noun

the foremost part of an advancing army or naval force.

Yay semantics.

#75 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:19 AM

Here's the problem with traditional tanking in terms of RPG's...

The tank usually has a self heal/damage resistance, or a separate player healing them...allowing them to continue "tanking" damage long term. This game isnt an RPG. Its a team based FPS.

This is a very good point- but it's mostly a point about peoples' perception of what 'tanking' is and how it works. By the most common use, you cannot 'tank' in Mechwarrior Online, because there is only one form of actual damage soaking in it- avoiding the damage in the first place, or what I like to call 'proactive damage reduction'- capabilities that prevent the damage from having been dealt.

'Reflexive damage reduction', which reduces the damage as it is dealt, doesn't, strictly speaking, exist in this game. In a sense it does, because having a bigger 'mech means having greater durability, and thus the percent of damage you can take that is lost from each hit is reduced. Realistically speaking, though, between the weight-class matching, four-threes, and the relatively small variance (assuming the same percentage of maximum armor, an Atlas or Daishi is roughly five times as durable as a Locust or Fire Moth, where in an MMORPG you can look at same-level differences such as tanks with 300k hit points and DPS with 15k or less), this 'reflexive damage reduction' is a very small change. This is especially so when you consider that the 'mechs that effectively have more of this invariably have considerably less capacity for 'proactive damage reduction'.

'Reactive damage reduction' is then abilities that restore health or heal, essentially undoing damage after it's dealt. This flat out doesn't exist in Mechwarrior Online (which is a good thing mostly because of the absolute nonsensicality of it- it doesn't fit with any of the rest of how this stuff works either thematically speaking or in the more detailed analysis of the kind of tech the setting has) and also constitutes the majority of what's used in most MMORPGs. It's compounded in those settings by hilariously high hit point counts, which give those using these abilities more time to use them.

With the way the game operates, only 'reflexive' and 'proactive' methods work, and if one of them is in full effect the other isn't in effect at all- although many 'mechs manage a combination somewhere in between, with the two scaling conversely to one another. This makes it impossible to tank by those definitions.

However, the player-versus-player nature of the game and the more tactical rather than learned-pattern combat in it mean that players are capable of actions that, while not tanking in the MMORPG sense, are still a form of attention/damage dissipation. A light or fast medium can flank the enemy team and harass their backs while popping in and out of cover, a medium or fast heavy can make 'strafing runs' through enemy lines or along enemy flanks from behind, returning to the main force even as they draw attention, a heavy or assault can soak extra damage by forcing enemies to try and shoot them through corners or forcing enemy 'mechs to knock their arms off to get at their torso. 'Mechs with an appreciable LRM footprint or long-range direct fire weapons mounted in snipe-enabling locations can deny areas of open ground to the enemy, 'mechs with ECM can mitigate that same kind of area denial to a point while reducing the enemy capacity to target weakened 'mechs and 'mech parts, AMS reduces incoming missile damage for self and allies, and so on and so forth.

This kind of 'tanking' is available to all 'mechs and should be used when possible regardless of the size and weight of the 'mech- as nice as it is to be willing to die for the team, it's even more useful to be able to survive for the team- but specifically for the team.

Personally, when I'm running missile-heavy 'mechs, I do tend to keep to cover even though I maintain a certain degree of close combat capability. However, I will not refuse to get my own missile locks, and I will not refuse to take the front line if other front-line capable 'mechs are either unavailable or incapacitated (legged, out of ammo, destroyed or nearly so). However, this is also true of me in a light 'mech or medium.

I consider it wasteful when a 'mech of any size is unwilling to expose themself to risk for the betterment of the team, because this is a team game. That win accounts for, in most games, a good 60-80 thousand C-bills and 300-700 XP of gain for everyone on the team, and not being willing to put forth your effort towards that is an inefficient, ineffective, and generally rude to teammates way to play.

Keep in mind here that I will never look down on a sniper or LRM carrying 'mech for staying out of the spotlight when doing so is reasonable. It's when these particularly egregious cases come up- an LRM Stalker carrying only three medium lasers for backup weaponry that is either last to die on its team because it was hiding so thoroughly that it was last alive and still had pristine or at worst pale-yellow armor, or an ECM ER Large Laser Raven that continues to only snipe even when the rest of its team is visibly getting ruined by a hail of LRMs and has no other ECM source- that I start to frown on what's happening.

lights run ahead...scouting...harassing enemy positions by using speed, agility, and stealth to avoid damage while trying to slow or split up the enemy forces. later in the match, they focus on flanking enemy positions, focuing primarily on the heaviest mechs by tonnage, taking advantage of speed to out-maneuver the larger mechs, and ganging up on said mechs 2:1 or better.

mediums lead the main group...focusing on finding and hunting down light scouts, as well as hitting an enemys main force initially, drawing them into position for the heavier mechs to lay down fire, using speed and agility to avoid damage. later in the match, they play the role of harasser for enemy mechs, while also defending the heaviest mechs from light mech harassment.

heavies are the main fighters. they move into a superior firing position where they can do the most damage in the shortest time possible. most focus will be on mediums since they will lead the enemy group, then falling back to cover to reassess and reconfigure forces to best damage enemy mechs as quickly as possible. later in the match, they will help with cleanup of lights and mediums that try to flee or flank.

assaults are always the vanguard. the vanguard pulls up the rear, providing support and defending key positions with as much firepower as possible. they have no agility, so when they move, they better keep moving till they get to the next position of strength. they lay down fire against enemy heavies and assaults, as well as mop up mediums that have been diabled due to legging or loss of arms. they provide overwatch, alpha strike capabilities throughout the match. they are supposed to be the focal point around which the rest of the group operates.

I do, however, take issue with this part of your post. You've indicated these distinctions as 'always'- made blanket statements that are, simply, wrong.

Ravens that use all their hardpoints, Kit Foxes, Adders, and other Light 'mechs that drop their speed down to around 100kph or a bit lower make very effective fire-support 'mechs, clinging around the ankles of assaults and heavies and contributing additional firepower while either (1) moving around enough to take relatively little damage and distracting enemy fire or (2) being generally ignored and having free choice of targets. Some light 'mechs- particularly ECM Ravens, Spiders, and Kit Foxes, but to a lesser extent also Jenners, Commandos, and certain builds of Firestarter- are well-suited to taking sniping positions and can, instead of harassing and slowing/diverting enemies, locate weakened points on enemy 'mechs and finish them off before they get a chance to deal damage (particularly when the target believes they have cover from all enemies).

Medium 'mechs focused on LRMs are again excellent fire support as well as area denial, and like the well-suited lights, often make excellent snipers (although through slightly different means, Cicada aside). Certain mediums- mostly some Hunchbacks, but also SRM-laden Wolverines, Griffins, Kintaros, Stormcrows, and Shadow Hawks as well as others- make amazing ambush 'mechs, getting into position and waiting for an enemy to happen by, unloading a short burst of heavy fire, and then fleeing or hiding again. A few (particularly some Hunchbacks and most Centurions, but also certain forms of Blackjack, Vindicator, Nova, Wolverine, and Stormcrow) should not be trying to draw enemies into position but instead waiting for the enemy to be in position and then engage in agile, fast-paced brawling that will shorten their lives but if done effectively shorten the lives of enemy 'mechs much more.

Not all heavies are main fighters. Dragons are usually harassing 'mechs that harry the flanks and distract enemy forces, as are Quickdraws and a few forms of Catapult. Jagermechs are largely fire-support 'mechs, peeking over hills and providing ranged fire that can reach any part of the combat in progress. Many heavies do the medium 'mech 'job' you listed here better than medium 'mechs, particularly when using a standard engine and CASE (if necessary). Quite a few simply can't handle light 'mechs these days (and probably shouldn't be expected to on a regular basis).

While the team should probably anchor itself around the assault 'mechs, given their relatively low speed (in most cases) and relatively high firepower weight (again, in most cases- usually the same exceptions) that doesn't always mean that the assault 'mech in question should be expected to sit at the back of the weapons mass. Some builds of Atlas, Highlander, Dire Wolf, and Stalker are specifically built to take advantage of the durabilities inherent to their tonnages and soak damage from the front of the combat, as true vanguards. Others are intended to perform closer-in direct fire support that forces enemies to choose between taking out a target that deals less damage in any given period of time but is tougher, and shooting at a more-damaging but frailer 'mech (usually a heavy or another assault). Some assaults are best at the back of the pack- usually missile-focused or those that fire in small bursts of intense damage (looking at you Gauss Dire Wolf and PPC/dual AC/5 Victor- or is that now PPC/PPC/AC/10?) that then are difficult to reach but alluring targets intended to draw enemies into shootable positions.

With the degree of customization and variety of options even before then, it's really not effective to make blanket statements about what a given weight class is 'supposed' to do, because that can be determined as much by visual profile, hardpoints, hardpoint location, and what equipment can be mounted as by tonnage- all five of these factors (shape, available weapon options, location of weapons, construction decisions, and available weight of 'mech) are roughly equal in determining value, despite the fact that some of them help to shape others.

#76 Mauadib

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:09 AM

View PostGrey Black, on 23 August 2014 - 03:44 PM, said:

The short answer is: Depends.

*Clanners are different, yet similar. The Dire Whale is a terrible lurmboat, but the Masakari might be a good idea.

Snipped for space.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...541836bf9e17870

Is basically what you are talking about on the depends front. That fit has allowed me to keep up with people and sometimes even launch lrm 60s at 200 meters into dudes faces at the front lines following it up with the mlas. It lets me paint and mlas any lights that get close etc. It carried me through a number of 700+ damage wins for the 50 wins thing recently.

#77 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:08 PM

View Postuglydisease, on 23 August 2014 - 03:30 PM, said:

I just had an argument with a friend about how to use assaults correctly. He proposes that Assaults are supposed to be meat shields and should never be lrm boats. I disagree, especially when it comes to pugging when you are in a slow moving assault the rest of the team almost never waits for you making it impossible to meat shield. Its not uncommon for an assault placed in a poor spawn location to be wolf packed by a group of lights that rip out the mechs back armor. This doesn't do much to help absorb damage for the team either. In most assault mechs I wind up with weapons like AC5s, PPCs, LL and Gauss because the front lines are usually farther away from you than in a faster mech. My friend contents that assaults should NEVER be lrm boats. This seems silly to me as Stalkers make for some of the best LRM boats in the game. Honestly I felt like he was being a bit an elite purest.

When playing in a group the rules are a bit different I grant you but I still don't think there is anything wrong with using an assault lrm boat if the team is taking an lrm/tag/narc strategy.

Any opinions on this question.

The idea that Assaults should never use support or long-range weapons loadouts is a load of feldercarb. There are right and wrong ways to do it, but you can certainly use your Assault as an LRM boat - or fire support platform - effectively. That being said, it's generally a bad idea for an Assault to act as though you're going to melt if anyone shoots you; assaults should be using their firepower and toughness to project combat presence, and you just can't do that very well from two ridgelines away from the fight.

At the end of the day, though... while, again, there are right and wrong ways (or chassis) to go about it, LRM assault platforms are quite viable. Your friend is within shouting distance of the right idea, but he's still wrong.

assaults are always the vanguard. the vanguard pulls up the rear, providing support and defending key positions with as much firepower as possible.

That's... not what a vanguard is.

#78 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:14 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 27 August 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

That's... not what a vanguard is.

I suppose you got quite a few people with that. As non-native english speaker, I took the guard part of the word as the key meaning, in the sense that is was more in terms of mobile defense or fortification.

Now that I've been taught differently, might I implore what would be a proper millitary term for a division that has the primary task to secure positions and paths of retreat?

#79 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:20 PM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 27 August 2014 - 09:14 PM, said:

I suppose you got quite a few people with that. As non-native english speaker, I took the guard part of the word as the key meaning, in the sense that is was more in terms of mobile defense or fortification.

Now that I've been taught differently, might I implore what would be a proper millitary term for a division that has the primary task to secure positions and paths of retreat?

You have the Rearguard. They are usually the ones bringing up the rear, during retreats, they have the most dangerous task, as they will be moving behind the main formation, and engaging any pursuing enemies, to slow them down, or push them back, while the main force continues it's retreat un-interrupted.

#80 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:59 AM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 27 August 2014 - 09:14 PM, said:

Nah, those guys are the ones "in the van," the forwardmost part of a marching army. Like Iraqi says, during a retreat it's the rearguard that would secure the llines of movement and engage pursuing forces in order to allow the main force to move away unimpaired, before breaking contact.

That's not really what the OP is describing, however; he wants Assaults to hang back and backstop the team - essentially holding positions behind the front line and preventing people from flanking or pushing through to the rear. Lights scout and harrass; Mediums are the vanguard, hunting down lights and hitting the enemy force initially; and Heavies are the second-line combatants who do the lion's share of the killing.

The first problem with this order of battle is that it progressively exposes your weakest (non-light) elements to damage: first Mediums, then Heavies, then Assaults last. This allows the enemy to engage more fragile enemies first, while the Assaults come into play only when the enemy pushes the screening force of Mediums and Heavies back. The second, and more serious, flaw is that this nonsense would only work by mutual consent - the enemy team has to ascribe to the same bad tactical doctrine. If the enemy puts their assaults in the van with the heavies (and uses mediums as flankers, light-hunters, and mobile support for the Assaults and Heavies,) they will inflict heavy casualties on the enemy team while taking little damage on their own - because the Mediums, and to a lesser extent the heavies.

Only if both sides have decided to fight the same way will the quoted player's strategy work as it's intended - a sort of gentlemen's game where the Assaults amuse themselves swatting down the enemy's Lights, Mediums, and Heavies before moving on to the "real" battle when one side starts to run out of peasantry. It's not a good idea.

Edited by Void Angel, 28 August 2014 - 06:00 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users