Capturing Points Should Award A Combat Bonus

10 replies to this topic

#1 WalkingDeathBot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 459 posts
  • LocationLooking for Paul so as to troll him

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:04 PM

See title. In the annoying cap the bases mode, capping a point should award minor bonuses i.e. +5% cooling, or better weapon recycle etc.

It would add something at least.

Thoughts?

#2 Sean von Steinike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:07 PM

No thank you.

#3 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:09 PM

nooooo. They give a capture bonus at the end and I am fine with that

#4 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:21 PM

It has been a hope of mine that capturing a point would indeed give a bonus.

My thoughts have been that capping a point or getting a kill would then allow you to use your consumables, in other words Arty or air strikes.

Would cull some of the insanity we have these days but also make it effective to use area denial tactics.

#5 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:08 AM

You get more c-bills in conquest for capping. If you win by cap in assault you get more points and there is another bonus if you help cap. So the bonuses are there, people just need to care about winning a little more. I don't know if any game mechanic will change player behavior.

#6 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

View PostWalkingDeathBot, on 23 August 2014 - 11:04 PM, said:

See title. In the annoying cap the bases mode, capping a point should award minor bonuses i.e. +5% cooling, or better weapon recycle etc.

It would add something at least.

Thoughts?

In-game power ups?

#7 FDJustin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:59 AM

Part of me wants to say yes. Most of me wants to say no... Diminishing firepower and less targets to spread damage on already makes for a snowball game.

#8 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:59 AM

Give end of match rewards? Yes. Give power-ups? Hell no.

And I do think it should reward even for trying. Somebody goes half-way on the enemy base on Assault but dies? Gets rewarded for the attempt.

That's how things should be done. Want Assault to not be Skirmish with Turrets? Reward people for trying to capture early.

#9 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:47 AM

Currently we have three game modes:
Skirmish.
Skirmish with turrets.
Skirmish with five bases.

The introduction of turrets and the insane increase in cap times turned all our game modes into TDM; it's rare indeed to win an Assault or Conquest match by base capture; most of the time it just devolves into the same death match as Skirmish.

Back before Skirmish was introduced, when we had Assault without turrets and Conquest with sane cap times, there was actually some strategy involved in the matches, and a lone light could carry off a win by playing smart even though all his team mates were dead. There were cap feints on Assault and bases traded sides several times during a match. Just try to remember the last time you saw a base switch sides more than once during Assault or Conquest.

Both Assault and Conquest needs an overhaul; they aren't supposed to be just "Skirmish with turrets" or "Skirmish with five bases" as they are currently.

Please PGI, bring the tactical play back to Assault and Conquest.

Edited by stjobe, 24 August 2014 - 10:48 AM.

#10 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:55 AM

I thought this was going to be about giving better rewards for assisting in a capture point in conquest. Currently, you step on a point once, you get the max bonus (which is lower than destroying a turret). Rather than have some kind of incentive to help cap points and reward mechs that do (you know, role warfare and all).

While I like the idea, I think that's a CW type thing, not just a random Conquest thing.

#11 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:55 AM

View PostSpike Brave, on 24 August 2014 - 08:08 AM, said:

You get more c-bills in conquest for capping. If you win by cap in assault you get more points and there is another bonus if you help cap. So the bonuses are there, people just need to care about winning a little more. I don't know if any game mechanic will change player behavior.

You typically get less than in either of the other game modes even if you win on kills with 740+ points.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users