9 replies to this topic

#1 Diablobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:41 AM

If there's one thing that the challenge has made very clear, it's that PUGing is a very frustrating and painful thing to do. Besides the typical pilots that don't know how to play, you run into tons of LRMs and ECM imbalance. One side might have lots of ECM and LRMs while the other has hardly any, or some combination of disparity that causes games to be one sided.

If PGI is able to make Elo work for the matchmaker, then how hard would it be to balance ECM and LRMs for each side? If one team has 3 or 4 ECM and the other team has one or none, there is a problem. Guess which side is going to win 90 percent of the time? A simple counter for each team needs to be established. If a mech joins a team that has ECM, one is added to the counter. Then, the next mech that comes along in the queue that has ECM goes to the other team. Both sides' counters need to be as close to equal as possible. There should never be more than one extra ECM for either team. The same thing might be done for LRMs as well.

Edited by Diablobo, 24 August 2014 - 05:41 AM.

#2 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:10 AM

Or ECM could be nerfed so it isn't worth 10-15 tons, and then the matchmaker could be left alone.

If ECM weighed 10 tons, would you put it on an AS7-DDC? I certainly would.

#3 Henree

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 501 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:16 AM

LOL! and lazors and ac20's and radar dep modules, hahahahahahaha!

#4 poopenshire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 684 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:26 AM

Posted Image

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:29 AM

I chose the PUG life BTW. :ph34r:

If one feels pugging a very frustrating experience, perhaps it is a great time to start group duoing with a buddy. Perhaps then you will understand what a true frustration is.

On a more serious note, both ECM and LRM need to be reworked for the health of this game. Hard counters should never exist in this game.
^
|
Damn, how many times do have I say the same obvious ****, in vain. :o

Edited by El Bandito, 24 August 2014 - 06:35 AM.

#6 Reitrix

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:34 AM

Had a funny match where my team had all the ECM and LRMs boats, other team didnt have any LRM or ECM. It amused me.

#7 Reitrix

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:45 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 24 August 2014 - 06:29 AM, said:

I chose the PUG life BTW. :ph34r:

If one feels pugging a very frustrating experience, perhaps it is a great time to start group duoing with a buddy. Perhaps then you will understand what a true frustration is.

On a more serious note, both ECM and LRM need to be reworked for the health of this game. Hard counters should never exist in this game.
^
|
Damn, how many times do have I say the same obvious ****, in vain. :o

I'd actually be really really happy if ECM pulsed every 5 or so seconds and broke any locks.
example;
LRM 'Mech presses R to target, Achieves missile Lock and fires, ECM pulses on the targeted 'Mech and causes the LRM 'Mech to have to press R and reacquire the Lock before firing again.

The cover would work similarly to how it does now, with it causing the umbrella effect, but you would get no stealth. Instead, Your Red Marker would flicker off/on every few seconds.

For the LRM side, I'd give it a shallower flight arc in general, and a slightly longer lock time (longer than Streaks) with a universal refire rate of around 5 - 6 seconds. No more LRM Rain.

But hey, opinions are like ********.

#8 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:47 AM

Considering that in Battletech, the Guardian ECM suite wasn't a hard counter to much...this ECM is broken.

Guardian ECM (what we're buying in the mechlab) is supposed to shut down Artemis IV (meaning you lose the benefit of the Artmemis), C3 networks, NARCs and Active Probes (although anyone with an Active Probe will know they're being jammed). It was NEVER intended to shut down Streaks or Targeting Computers.

The Angel ECM suite, which is supposed to come later down the timeline, is more in line with what we've got going now.

#9 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:54 AM

It would increase queuing times dramatically. The problem lies in the fact that it would have to find someone with a similar Elo that had the correct number of LRMs or ECM or try to find someone with a high/low Elo to balance then person it found with LRMs. But oops, that person has LRMs plus ECM so it would either have to dump them or wait till someone else joined the queue.

The more things it tries to match, the harder it is to find a good match.

BTW, it happens in the group queue as well. It's not really that big of a deal, if you are having fun playing.

I suspect you only have fun when winning. If that's the case, might want to reconsider your personal "victory conditions". Perhaps join a unit and have fun just being online and playing, as opposed to focusing in XP/Cbills, or everypug's favorite nonsense stat, KDR.

#10 Diablobo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

That's another thing. If one piece of equipment drastically affects whether or not your team has an advantage in a match, then that item is probably really imbalanced or OP.

It shouldn't really matter which side has the most ECM (or any), but it does. That's a sign of poor game design if one single item that is equipped decides the fate of a team.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users