How Many Sub 100 Damage Players On Your Team?

119 replies to this topic

#101 Crunk Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 255 posts
  • LocationJamalia

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:50 PM

I do sub 100 damage all the time. I must be playing the game wrong. :D

Posted Image

#102 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:43 PM

View PostFlyby215, on 25 August 2014 - 09:49 PM, said:

Wow! And I thought I had bad matches. That's so awful I'd dare say it was staged! :D

Have you considered a class change? I had switched from my usual heavy class (Timber Wolf or Jester) to mediums (Stormcrow 6xERML + Narc 2xammo) and got myself onto several win-streaks through the day.

The thing is my Direwolf is my slump buster. I got 8 k/D with a 3.0ish W/L in that thing for some odd reason.

#103 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:23 AM

What do you expect in a 12-1 stomp? It happens. If one team has a few mechs go down early, the firepower advantage on the other side can just totally deny you any opportunity to fire back or do meaningful damage. Find me a close match (say 12-10) where half of a team does <100 dmg.

And individual players, even veterans, can go wrong all the time. Wrong mech, wrong map, wrong spawn, and you're toast. DWolf on Charlie spawn in River City? If an enemy Narc-Raven spawns at Alpha and comes for you, you may as well just get on your knees and pray for a miracle. Or try running an SRM boat up the long slope on Alpine. Or you just fall prey to bad luck: I just died on Caustic with <20 dmg. In the first minute a Summoner came running past my Griffin, and just as I turned to shoot, a DWolf crested the hill and one-shotted me in the back. It happens.

#104 Too Much Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 787 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:32 AM

View PostGorgo7, on 24 August 2014 - 07:49 AM, said:

Since this competition started I have been having alot of difficulty with the teams I end up in.
Often there are four or even six players on my team who does sub 100 damage. These players are not farming, they are simply new. So new they cannot answer typed chat (or read apparently)

Is the matchmaker screwy? Before, I would drop with Pugs that had experience and could hit what they shot at. Not this weekend.

I probably have a win loss ratio of 1/3. Ouch. It has been reversed.

I don't want to play with newbs. I did that when I started over a year ago.

Why is PGI punishing me? Are they punishing you?

Please don't leave dismissive comments. I am very upset by this and need confirmation that this is not happening just to me.
During the challenge I probably had 1 victory to 4 defeats. Normally, my win/loss ratio is 2/1.

#105 Kampfer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:34 AM

I've gotten 3 kills in a game where I did less than 200 damage, partially because the mech was already damaged, but mainly because a 12 ML Nova can do a lot of pin point damage. Just the other night I got 5 kills with zero kill assists. I only did 347 damage.
High damage isn't always the best indicator of success.
As for a team full of low damage dealers. Most of the time when this happens in my experience is the other team is sitting with 400-500 LRM tubes total and my team has about 80-120 total. They send in a spotter and it's game over.

#106 xhrit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 976 posts
  • LocationClan Occupation Zone

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:07 AM

View PostOdins Fist, on 25 August 2014 - 09:21 AM, said:

I can't remember what friend said it back in closed beta, but it goes like this.

"If you're not doing damage, you're taking damage".

Lights have a small exclusion from this, but not those that run the best weapons loadout possible for that particular mech.

3030 MUX rewarded players for damage received, because an assult mech sponging damage can seriously turn the tide of a battle. The amount of damage a mech can soak before it goes down is highly skill dependent. Good players can spread damage around better then bad ones, thus mechs piloted by skilled players can take more damage then mechs piloted by non skilled ones.

Posted Image

Edited by xhrit, 26 August 2014 - 03:09 AM.

#107 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:24 AM

I've seen someone do 50 damage & try to blame everyone else for the loss.

Next game they were on my team. They did 44 damage.

And, they had founders tags.

Now I know why jump jets needed to be nerfed.

To suit the 50 dmg lifer demographic.

#108 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:09 AM

Sometimes you commit to a push, but 2/3 of the team throws it in reverse. Always getting high damage is only possible with the high range and dps of the clan mechs.

Also, with the slow cbill gain I don't want to spend it on endo and dhs on every mech, leveled 2 griffins with narc, tag, uav and some medium lasers, didn't break 100 damage often, but xp gain was pretty good.

#109 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:25 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 26 August 2014 - 04:09 AM, said:

Sometimes you commit to a push, but 2/3 of the team throws it in reverse. Always getting high damage is only possible with the high range and dps of the clan mechs.

Also, with the slow cbill gain I don't want to spend it on endo and dhs on every mech, leveled 2 griffins with narc, tag, uav and some medium lasers, didn't break 100 damage often, but xp gain was pretty good.

If you can't break 100 dmg in a griffin, it is possible your loadouts need tweaking.

You should have at least 1 weapon that is effective from 500 to 700+ meters out or more, even if your build is a brawler. And not need to rely solely on pushes to get close enough to inflict damage. 1 or 2 large lasers, ER LL or PPC is all you need sometimes to go from dealing sub 100 dmg to consistent 200-300+ dmg.

#110 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:46 AM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 26 August 2014 - 05:25 AM, said:

If you can't break 100 dmg in a griffin, it is possible your loadouts need tweaking.

You should have at least 1 weapon that is effective from 500 to 700+ meters out or more, even if your build is a brawler. And not need to rely solely on pushes to get close enough to inflict damage. 1 or 2 large lasers, ER LL or PPC is all you need sometimes to go from dealing sub 100 dmg to consistent 200-300+ dmg.

With single heatsinks any energy weapon is useless, the heat disspation I had was spent on jumpjetting to help spread damage. I was only interested in the 3M griffin, so I didn't want to spend 4 million outfitting the other ones with dhs and endo.

The other griffin I run with medium lasers and srm's, there's no point compromising the brawling ability for a little bit of skirmishing. If you drop on alpine with a coward team, well, better luck next time, a single er large wouldn't have helped much.

Edited by Flapdrol, 26 August 2014 - 05:46 AM.

#111 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:28 AM

View Postdrunkblackstar, on 26 August 2014 - 01:32 AM, said:

During the challenge I probably had 1 victory to 4 defeats. Normally, my win/loss ratio is 2/1.

Now that you mention it, most of the matches you were on my team we lost. I'm not blaming you or anything like that but there's probably some strange elo magic going on there.
My win/loss ratio was still above 1/1 during the challenge, but not quite as high as it usually is.

#112 Mainerd

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Locationon a reclining chair so don't ask me to type

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:55 AM

The problem is the sync dropping. Normally they would be dropping in a group drop, but are forced into a solo drop. Maybe next time PGI can make it so only 5 or 10 of the matches need to be solo or just remove any stupid requirements.

#113 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:14 AM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 25 August 2014 - 09:00 AM, said:

I've done well in an assault by simply dying in the right place, at the right time. It's not always possible to get the high damage numbers and kill counts, and realizing when you're screwed for some reason and still being able to gain some kind of advantage for the team is a sign of a skilled player. My last win for the challenge actually had me scoring 67 damage in a Dire Wolf, I got shafted on the spawn points and was rushed by a couple of lights and mediums. Because I distracted them while my teammates rushed the other half of the enemy team we won losing only one mech. It's not always about you.

I'd call that making the best you could out of a bad situation, but not really "doing well". Sometimes it happens. Sometimes it's unavoidable. However, it's never ideal and I'd never, ever call one of those matches a "good" match. At the end of the day if you're not a scout, your job is to kill mechs. If you're not pulling enough damage to do that then you didn't succeed at your job. That's not always your fault, but it is what it is.

#114 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

I have to be honest and say that i actually ragequit yesterday. Its not usual behaviour for me, but I just DC'ed from the clan TS and logged.

After playing for around 90 minutes, i had managed to acquire a grand total of 1 victory. I could feel my soul being sucked out through my eyeballs everytime i looked at the scorecards at the end of each match.

Seriously PGI, lets not have anymore events that require only solo PUG play. Thanks.

Edited by Fade Akira, 26 August 2014 - 08:19 AM.

#115 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

Does this mean people won't say solo pugging is easy mode anymore?

There's a bright side to this after all!

#116 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

View PostGallowglas, on 26 August 2014 - 08:14 AM, said:

I'd call that making the best you could out of a bad situation, but not really "doing well". Sometimes it happens. Sometimes it's unavoidable. However, it's never ideal and I'd never, ever call one of those matches a "good" match. At the end of the day if you're not a scout, your job is to kill mechs. If you're not pulling enough damage to do that then you didn't succeed at your job. That's not always your fault, but it is what it is.

This is a team game, when you are helping your team win you are doing well, regardless of the status of your mech or what's on the scoreboard at the end of the match.
Making the best of a bad situation doesn't always mean you win, and there were still ways for me to still screw up and possibly cause the rush to fail. I could have died too fast, I could have failed to split up the enemy, I could have attacked and died in a blaze of glory for a little bit of extra damage, all of those would have blown the advantage.
What I did was move away from the enemy heavies and assaults, while spreading damage as best I could and returning fire only when possible. We might still have won had I not done that, but I skewed the odds massively in our favor, more so than any amount of damage I might have caused would have.

Had I been thinking like the OP I would have contributed almost nothing to my team.

Edited by Satan n stuff, 26 August 2014 - 11:10 AM.

#117 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 26 August 2014 - 10:51 AM, said:

This is a team game, when you are helping your team win you are doing well, regardless of the status of your mech or what's on the scoreboard at the end of the match.

I'll respectfully disagree. If that were indeed the case, then someone who does nothing more than hit an Atlas with 5 points of damage and then dies horribly is "doing well" if their team wins. The question is how much you contributed to the win compared with your peers.

Furthermore, simply "distracting the enemy team" isn't much of a contribution unless you're actively controlling the point of engagement, not just reacting to poor circumstances. If you were DC'ed in a corner, you're still likely to distract the enemy team. Does that mean you did well?

And, again, I'm not trying to be harsh or elitist here. I'm just trying to say that I don't believe that everyone who plays a game should walk home with a trophy.

Edited by Gallowglas, 26 August 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#118 Too Much Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 787 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:16 AM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 26 August 2014 - 06:28 AM, said:

Now that you mention it, most of the matches you were on my team we lost. I'm not blaming you or anything like that but there's probably some strange elo magic going on there.
My win/loss ratio was still above 1/1 during the challenge, but not quite as high as it usually is.
Sorry for that. I think it's PGI revenge for my criticizm.

#119 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

View PostGallowglas, on 26 August 2014 - 11:12 AM, said:

I'll respectfully disagree. If that were indeed the case, then someone who does nothing more than hit an Atlas with 5 points of damage and then dies horribly is "doing well" if their team wins. The question is how much you contributed to the win compared with your peers.

Read the edited post.

Also that is not helping your team win, there is a lot more to tactics than simply causing damage and killing mechs. If that 5 damage makes the Atlas turn around followed by, for example a Dire Wolf walking up behind him and killing him, then that is a pretty big contribution. If that person accomplished nothing at all besides dealing 5 damage then no obviously they are not doing well at all.

#120 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

So are people here just doing pointless baitchin, or is this a new way of tell PGI, that the match maker is broken ?

Which is really old news

Why is it broken.

People wanted separate ques and private match makers, in a low pop game, so every new addition just makes it more likely to fail

46 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 46 guests, 0 anonymous users