• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:20 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 24 August 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

You must be from world of tanks hehe.

Seriously overall the individual is only 1 of 24 players and no matter how good a player you are, you only have a limited influence. Also I don't care how go you are, when you are on a team that just randomly scatters across the whole map, ignores warnings from scouts yelling at them they 6 enemy mechs have just flanked them and are coming from the rear and generally do just about everything they intentionally can to lose, your not going to carry hard enough turn that into a win.

Losses just happen or rather they should. What always gets me about ELO is that I am always concerned that it likes to set me up to lose. Overall I am sitting on about a 60% win rate and sometimes it just seems like I am set up to fail because I happen to be winning to much. Not sure if this is who it works or not but it sure feels like it at times.

**EDIT** Poo, quoted the wrong post. OH WELL!

I just want to say, calling the player the common denominator shows absolutely nothing. Now if he played on the same map, the same way, every single time and did everything like a flow chart, then yes he would be a fixed data point. He is not though, not only is he able to think on the fly and change up his plan, he is capable of mistakes but also bouts of extreme luck.

This means his data input into your little analysis there is not consistent. The only consistent common denominator is the Matchmaker. That is the only thing in the GAME that is hard programmed to work the same way, every game, every single time. Every single queue.

Edited by Pika, 25 August 2014 - 07:20 AM.

#82 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:39 AM

View PostMadTulip, on 24 August 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

see it positive. your elo is much lower now and the next games will be easier <_<.

That's a pretty big assumption.

#83 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

View PostWolfways, on 24 August 2014 - 10:21 AM, said:

I think I've had 15 losses in a row twice, but that was a while ago. You also get win runs, but just seem to remember the losses more.

Yup

As a sole PUGer who has played about 3,000 matches, my W/L is really close to 50/50. It all balances out in the end. The losses are more memorable (especially when it is a continuous string).

#84 Kutfroat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 228 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:46 AM

so, if all players are forced towards 50/50, how does the matchmaker create teams. when all players hover around 50/50, all are close together in elo? this sytem is just one big pile of sh.it! my stats are in freefall this weekend, not because i suck (of course there are games i do really bad in, everyone has them), but usually the game is over or decided within the first 30 sec. just had a conquest game on terra therma, and after 30 seconds i knew by the way my team moved out that this is lost, and we did lose. there was nothing i could do, no amount of damage, in an atlas ddc to win on conquest if my team moves out in a way that we are sure to be outcapped. and the sad part is, i told them not to do what they did...no one listened. the game afterwards...conquest on forest colony. i told my team the enemies will most likely rush water to cap our "spawn" at kappa (like they do in most cases). no one listened, enemies won. so the game was lost before it started...because i was in a team with people that dont read chat or look at the minimap at any point in a match.

Edited by Kutfroat, 25 August 2014 - 08:48 AM.

#85 hybrid black

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 844 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:47 AM

View Post151st Light Horse Regiment, on 24 August 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:

12 losses in a row now.

Thanks PGI, keep up the good work.

9 wins in a row looks fine to me?

#86 151st Light Horse Regiment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:47 AM

3 wins in 4 hours now. gg pgi, keep it up!

#87 Kyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:05 AM

View PostKutfroat, on 25 August 2014 - 08:46 AM, said:

so, if all players are forced towards 50/50, how does the matchmaker create teams. when all players hover around 50/50, all are close together in elo? this sytem is just one big pile of sh.it! my stats are in freefall this weekend, not because i suck (of course there are games i do really bad in, everyone has them), but usually the game is over or decided within the first 30 sec. just had a conquest game on terra therma, and after 30 seconds i knew by the way my team moved out that this is lost, and we did lose. there was nothing i could do, no amount of damage, in an atlas ddc to win on conquest if my team moves out in a way that we are sure to be outcapped. and the sad part is, i told them not to do what they did...no one listened. the game afterwards...conquest on forest colony. i told my team the enemies will most likely rush water to cap our "spawn" at kappa (like they do in most cases). no one listened, enemies won. so the game was lost before it started...because i was in a team with people that dont read chat or look at the minimap at any point in a match.

Not quite. Once your ELO stabilizes and you are at a consistent 50% win/loss, you have basically pegged yourself in an ELO tier. This means that on average your ELO will narrowly go up and down over time, but stay within a range (generally within 200 points). That is, until you actually improve skills further to place yourself in a higher tier.

Typically in chess, ELOs are grouped in ranges of 200 for "classes". Class "A" is 1800-2000, Class B is 1799-1600, Class C is 1599-1400, and so on. The expectation is that if someone's ELO is properly placed within a class, his performance playing games there should be sufficient to maintain a rating within that class.

Your Win/Loss will hit a reliable 50% win/loss once you find yourself at your current skill level's tier.

#88 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

View PostDibster, on 24 August 2014 - 05:37 PM, said:

The vast majority of PUG games are won by the team that dealt more damage kills the other Team first.

FTFY :D

View PostCookiemonter669, on 24 August 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

To those who are representing these elo numbers,where the hell are you pulling them from?

I dont see any in my stats

It is known as their bums as there is no true way to know. They like to think they know cause day be da bess dawg and da bess got good loe's dawg. :ph34r:

Edited by Almond Brown, 25 August 2014 - 11:21 AM.

#89 Onmyoudo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 955 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:29 AM

View PostVoidcrafter, on 25 August 2014 - 04:46 AM, said:

'Twas an irony - even if it sounds like big words and stuff I am willing to take on any mech up to a D-DC or/and DWF(sometimes that one too) 1v1 with my brawler TBR, providing that it's in my firing range.
My point was that MM should take those stuff into account if we're aiming for "fair"(whatever the hell that term means in MWO) balancing both the teams.

I know; I too, was being facetious. ;)

#90 MrMadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

View PostCN9 ACE PILOT, on 24 August 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

Just let me ask ONE thing.

What was the common denominator in those matches?

Play the blame game all you want, but i have NEVER had a loosing streak past 5games and the times i did i was playing very poorly.

You should clearly understand, that we have some reasoning behind thinking, that it's not our fault, that we're losing so much and that problem is most likely in fact, that we are playing on ELO cap, where much fewer players are playing with too wide dispersion of skill levels, so it's much harder for matchmaker to make proper distribution of players. What reasoning? This, for example, happens, when I have balanced or close to balanced match:
Posted Image

P.S. Can we, please, fix this forum already? The way, it lags, is making me really mad. It takes half an hour of lags and glitches to make a single freaking post on this forum.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users