So You Got 50 Wins.....

67 replies to this topic

#41 M0rpHeu5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 956 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:08 AM

Op I don't disagree with you much even though I mostly enjoyed the challenge but, why did you threw so much money (looking at the masakari pack logo) on a game you don't enjoy that much?

#42 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:10 AM

Matches where .... realy realy terrible for me this weekend.
Even during the bad old times where 8 man teams dropped vs solo puggs i wasn't stomped and just trampled in to the mud so badly like on this weekend.
64 matches 24 wins .... and my d/k which is normaly around 1.2 was around 0.4

Is PGI ceaping record about those ppl beeing crittical about them and daming them to loose and die horribly ?

;)

#43 GumbyC2C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 392 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationDeutchland

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:16 AM

Just got the 50. That was hard and frustrating. I don't think this worked out the way they planned it. A suicide locust on almost every match, playing with so many puggies that frankly were very clueless, and a desync almost every other match. I don't think that's how PGI planned it to be. At least I hope not. Please let group drops participate in the next one so I can at least play with some people who know how to play. I don't even want to play for a while now.

#44 Jor Jurgenson

• PipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 48 posts
  • LocationGhost Bear Invasion Corridor

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:20 AM

I didn't have that bad of a go with it. I kind of addressed this in another post I wrote earlier, but, it was amazing at the difference between group play (which I almost do exclusively) and the solo queue.

I had a light charge my clanner streak boat solo and well... FWOOSH! First blood! Happened probably ten or so times that I remember.

Killed two Dire Wolves with my adder's flame thrower.

Killed 3 Timerwolves solo with my nova's machine guns.

Had some really rough rounds too where I turned a blind corner into eight mechs. Did that four times I think.

Had one match where our four medium brawlers killed eight of their guys while our assaults and heavies stood behind the rocks (Canyon D3 rock humping point) and didn't fire their weaponry once until we were all dead and they dropped the remaining 4 mechs in less than thirty seconds.

It was definitely a mind blowing experience, but, I'm glad I got all of it finished and got the loot.

The difference between solo and group queues is kind of amazing. Some of the other guys had really rough rounds though.

One of our guys had a 1680 damage round, killed eight of the enemy, and his team still lost. What a weird challenge. ;)

#45 Madw0lf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 367 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:26 AM

I think, all of you who are complaining about this challenge, were doing things wrong. I, personally, loved the challenge. Know why? I played a game I enjoy thoroughly, and had a bit of a reason to put more time into it than I normally do. Got to 28 wins last night, so that means I played around 60-70 matches over the weekend. I saw almost none of the problems youre all whining about. A couple suiciders/DCs, a couple of bad attitudes, but overall it was just like every other weekend in my games.

Dont know what all your problems were....but hell, I actually had a few of the BEST matches Ive had over the last couple of years this weekend.

#46 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:12 AM

Well, let me also get my stance straight, here.

I appreciate the rewards. I don't care if the Premium Time starts immediately. The basic concept of the contest seems fine.

Dunno if it''s my Elo, MM hate me, or what, but when, after 200 matches, you still haven't eked out that 50th win..........it burns you out. And almost never have I seen this much suicide farming, AFK farming, Discos without reconnect, etc. And that doesn't even begin to cover the general horrendous level of play and "teamwork" on most matches. When I could get people to listen, we would do OK, even if not a win, at least not a roll. But the number of matches I found myself facing 9-11 enemy....within 3 minutes of matches start? I pretty good. High average probaby. I am definitely a "team" player though, not a duelist. BUt even had I been "l33t", there was no winning those matches, and since WINNING is all that matters (which I am ok with) it meant so often a couple minutes in, and I knew the match was a waste.

Heck, there were times, the moment someone opened their mouth I knew it was over. Terra Therma, "Everyone rush and take Center".....on the wrong side of the map to get your numbers there first, on Assault, where the Derp Ring literally has no value. I mention that if that, and that if they flank and hit our base? Apparently our Lights were expected to RTB.... and hold it against a full company while our Fatties caught up. Anyhow, the team did ok that match, killed 4 of them before getting smashed.

Good concept, good rewards, too many bad players, too many exploits.

#47 GumbyC2C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 392 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationDeutchland

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:52 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 August 2014 - 05:12 AM, said:

Agreed. I actually liked the idea of wins to get the reward vs kills to get it. But not allowing group drops caused too much exploiting. It's a team sport. We should all act like it.

#48 Khujjo

• PipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:06 AM

Early on in the challenge I often found myself almost alone at the end of the games (I.e 3 minutes in) swarmed by the 37 remaining enemies. My win percentage must have been around 20%. I got to 10 wins after a couple of hours then 20 sometime the following day. I don't have much time to play on weekends as I have a family and better things to do, but I would have liked to have completed the challenge. I attempted more games when possible and soon realized I no longer gave a **** about this. In general the gameplay was awful. People were suiciding, spreading randomly, or camping excessively. It was pretty much the worst run of games I have seen. Can't say I'm looking forward to my next match. Hopefully my attitude changes, but the weekend's gameplay was rough at best for me.

Just read Bishop's post up above...sounds almost identical to my experience except I gave up on the challenge sooner.

Edited by KhujjoBD, 26 August 2014 - 06:08 AM.

#49 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:06 AM

48....damnit man.
Went ahead and finished it up on my lunch break.

Edited by Bilbo, 26 August 2014 - 10:06 AM.

#50 Transcendence

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:09 AM

The only thing this challenge accomplished was to showcase just how bad the ELO and MM systems really are.

Edited by Transcendence, 26 August 2014 - 06:11 AM.

#51 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:12 AM

I was one of the first to get the 50 wins.
That only happened because I managed to squeeze 18 hours of play until Sunday at 3am GMT.

Now the reasons I grinded and no-lifed it as much as I did:
1 - Tiered challenge: Made it a real challenge to get each of the tiers. Once I got 10 wins I wanted to get another 10. After those 20 I wanted to get 30 more.
2 - PUG challenge: Pugging can be extremely frustrating (so much that I'm one of the few that got bothered to play more after the 20 wins), but pugging can also be a challenge. I used this challenge to practice my leadership skills and battle tactics as well as complying with someone else's commands.
As an example, I started this challenge with over 400 Mill on my account. I didn't need the extra 6,5 Mill but the challenge "pulled me into it"

Granted the Challenges need to be tweaked, but this one was a step in the right direction from the Kill only based challenges.

About some of the tweaks commonly referred there is one thing I need and want to add:
The Score doesn't evaluate the work someone puts in a game.
That is one of the most hard things to be evaluated.

How do we evaluate a capper for his job in a Conquest match if we base the Challenge on Score?

How does the Score evaluate a pilot (who dies shortly after with very few KAssists / Kills / Damage) for being the bait that makes the enemy turn their backs on his team's main force and get crushed?

There are really lots of things that are hard to be considered by the game Score, but the win is the basic denominator for what we want when playing MW:O. So, to me, the win based challenge was a good choice by PGI.
And this reports back to the suicide farmers or the DC farmers.
How do we get those out of the equation is tricky, but I do believe PGI can find a way by the data gathered from all the challenges they have been issuing (or so I hope).

In short:
It was hard. It was frustrating. It was a damn challenge and I enjoyed it.

Now... I hope we get more challenges like this and until then I'll keep grinding C-Bills for a dropship or 2 ;)

Edited by FlipOver, 26 August 2014 - 06:13 AM.

#52 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:14 AM

So, once more we have someone wanting to ban LRMs and Clan Mechs. The horse is dead pal. Been beaten to death.
All in all, it was an interesting challenge, and hard to get. People with "lasers" kept shooting at team mates. Can't do that trick with LRM's, sorry. Had people disconnect often, etc. etc. This game could be a lot better, but we have to make it that way. Just because you don't like LRMs or Clan Mechs does not mean that some of us don't enjoy them. So I am looking forward to the next challenge. My LRM's will be ready. Bring it.

#53 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,974 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:16 AM

View PostLotharian, on 25 August 2014 - 11:01 PM, said:

Interesting, yet one flaw, you think like PGI. You think... there is nothing more I can do with the match maker I have all the science involved and the math is good. Yet still it fails. The real question should be; Why have a match maker? So many multiplayer games have open server swarms to chose... and if MWO did it you would be able to chose a server that is Clan vs IS and you could see that as the last man to join there is no ecm so now you know to bring one, or there are 2 lrm boats and you could make bank with that ecm raven with narc. WHAT??? did I just make sense??? Hmm is it so hard to see the flaws because you want to fix the square tire by polishing the edges rather than look to make a real change that will honestly work?
It is an eerie truism that people who think poorly will very often accuse you of what they themselves do. No, you did not just make sense; you simply offered up a "solution" to a nonexistent problem that requires a play format not yet in the game - assuming the level of smug, self-congratulatory arrogance you ascribe to me. /unfollow

View PostFlash Frame, on 26 August 2014 - 02:05 AM, said:

There is a reason you will NEVER see this type of gameplay in F2P games.

The reason is: custom ruled servers.

Actually, that's not quite true. There's no reason you can't have that kind of functionality in free to play games - provided there are player-run servers. But MWO (and many other games) uses a proprietary-server model for their game, which is what precludes custom-rulesets. I presume there are reasons for this; but regardless, it's not a trivial solution to usher in server support for random server clients, so it was rather silly to throw that out as a panacea for imaginary ills. =)

#54 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:24 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 August 2014 - 05:12 AM, said:

Well, let me also get my stance straight, here.

I appreciate the rewards. I don't care if the Premium Time starts immediately. The basic concept of the contest seems fine.

Dunno if it''s my Elo, MM hate me, or what, but when, after 200 matches, you still haven't eked out that 50th win..........it burns you out. And almost never have I seen this much suicide farming, AFK farming, Discos without reconnect, etc. And that doesn't even begin to cover the general horrendous level of play and "teamwork" on most matches. When I could get people to listen, we would do OK, even if not a win, at least not a roll. But the number of matches I found myself facing 9-11 enemy....within 3 minutes of matches start? I pretty good. High average probaby. I am definitely a "team" player though, not a duelist. BUt even had I been "l33t", there was no winning those matches, and since WINNING is all that matters (which I am ok with) it meant so often a couple minutes in, and I knew the match was a waste.

Heck, there were times, the moment someone opened their mouth I knew it was over. Terra Therma, "Everyone rush and take Center".....on the wrong side of the map to get your numbers there first, on Assault, where the Derp Ring literally has no value. I mention that if that, and that if they flank and hit our base? Apparently our Lights were expected to RTB.... and hold it against a full company while our Fatties caught up. Anyhow, the team did ok that match, killed 4 of them before getting smashed.

Wow 200 matches and not even 50 wins is harsh indeed. I maybe played 10 hours on Saturday and 5 hours on Sunday so if I take 10 minutes a match (including the search) then I might have played around 90 to 100 matches until I had the 50 wins.

And I also saw almost no deliberate disconnecting or suicide farming or afking. And in retrospect most of the matches were actually quite close with the majority of the few steamrolls I saw going to my team's favor. So our experiences were quite different.

But looking at this thread and all the other threads about the event, most people that usually drop with a group did not like the event whereas most people that mostly drop solo anyways actually did like it and report of having had some of the greatest matches. Which to me shows at least one thing: the skillsets required as an individual player in order to succeed are quite different between the solo and the group queues.

In my view the lesson PGI should learn is to simply allow groups in such events. Afaik the matchmaker will allways match a group on one side against a group on the other. So I don't see any valid reason anymore to keep those challanges solo.

It is quite obvious that enforcing solo play makes the game unfun for quite a large chunk of the playerbase and that can't be a good way to deal with things.

#55 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:28 AM

View PostJason Parker, on 26 August 2014 - 06:24 AM, said:

Wow 200 matches and not even 50 wins is harsh indeed. I maybe played 10 hours on Saturday and 5 hours on Sunday so if I take 10 minutes a match (including the search) then I might have played around 90 to 100 matches until I had the 50 wins.

And I also saw almost no deliberate disconnecting or suicide farming or afking. And in retrospect most of the matches were actually quite close with the majority of the few steamrolls I saw going to my team's favor. So our experiences were quite different.

But looking at this thread and all the other threads about the event, most people that usually drop with a group did not like the event whereas most people that mostly drop solo anyways actually did like it and report of having had some of the greatest matches. Which to me shows at least one thing: the skillsets required as an individual player in order to succeed are quite different between the solo and the group queues.

In my view the lesson PGI should learn is to simply allow groups in such events. Afaik the matchmaker will allways match a group on one side against a group on the other. So I don't see any valid reason anymore to keep those challanges solo.

It is quite obvious that enforcing solo play makes the game unfun for quite a large chunk of the playerbase and that can't be a good way to deal with things.

Well, one point to make....I PUG most of the time.

But I can PUG or teamplay and have fun. The amount of BAD PUG play (much possibly from "team players" not used to not having their back covered?) Was the kicker.

#56 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:31 AM

View PostRouken, on 25 August 2014 - 09:15 PM, said:

I thought this event was pretty decent. The two best prizes were early on and not too difficult to acquire. The 50 wins was a bit of a chore but the prize wasn't really worth it anyhow so no real compelling reason to go for it if you're not having fun.

6.5 million cbills for 50 wins... I made nearly 10 million in that time. ;)

#57 Madadh

• PipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:32 AM

It was obnoxious. I got like 30 something wins and just gave up. I had maybe... 3 to 4 good games where it wasn't just a lopsided idiot ball. One very good one even came down to a one on one. But the rest? 12 - 2. 12 - 1, 12 - 3. Over and over.

#58 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:39 AM

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally...50 wins.

Bloody heck.

Screw you, suicide farmers!!!! I got your names, and next we drop together, I will leg you all!!!!! (well, probably not, as that would be counterproductive... LIKE YOUR SUICIDING WAS; dillweeds!)

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!

#59 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:44 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 August 2014 - 06:39 AM, said:

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally...50 wins.

Bloody heck.

Screw you, suicide farmers!!!! I got your names, and next we drop together, I will leg you all!!!!! (well, probably not, as that would be counterproductive... LIKE YOUR SUICIDING WAS; dillweeds!)

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!

It took me most of my weekend to do it, about 18 hours in total. Fortunately with all the tryhards in my elo range ( at least for the weekend ) there wasn't much farming, I only got screwed by it once as far as I know, though it did happen on the enemy team several times.

#60 Arctourus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 482 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:54 AM

I liked the concept, but I don't like wins based challenges. The points based one from last week was much better. Points relies on the skill of the player, wins relies on the skills of all the players playing together. I didn't get to play much, but I was down to the wire just getting the 10th win because so many matches just went south so quick.

teamwork is hard to come by.

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users