• The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:48 AM

I figured I'd throw this out to start a discussion of planned future builds, and possibly provide some direction for those looking to build their own.

I plan, in the next month or so, to build the following:

i7-5820K
Asus Rampage V Gene
M.2 256-512Gb SSD (Intel or Samsung likely)
32-64GB RAM(Probably G.Skill 2666 or greater)

I suspect this will cost me in the neighbourhood of 1500-1700 CAD.

I'll be keeping my 7870 until at least Christmas when, depending upon releases/money available/mood, I'll upgrade to an R9-390/GTX880.

Long term planning suggests I should pick up an i7-6930K(if 8 core) around when Skylake-E(earliest probable Q4 2016) launches. I suspect there will be a RAM and/or GPU upgrade around that time as well.

I'l be reusing my case, PSU(at least until the GPU upgrade), and HSF(need to order the free Mounting Bracket upgrade from Noctua). I may replace the case and HSF fans however.
These are my "future proofing" efforts, and long term planning. If you are new to the PC enthusiast addiction hobby, this is some of thinking you should be doing.

What are your plans for the future?

#2 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

You can get the same performance out of that CPU without spending top dollar on the Mobo.

That's the thing with Intel CPUs, they aren't like current AMD CPUs that need at least a $170.00 mobo to clock the snot out of them, you can get the same performance (and BETTER) then any AMD FX CPU with less overclocking.

Look into it, save a few bucks, and throw it at a better GPU.

#3 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:06 AM

I just bought:

i5 4670
asus sabertooth z97 mark2
samsung ssd 250gb
kingston 16gb (2x8) @ 1866
cooler master (tower silencio 452 + modular 750W 80+ Bronze PU)

30-50 FPS ( on MW:O ) without GPU.

Will be on the look out for a GPU between November and February 2015 the latest.

#4 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

There is no such thing as future proofing in computing, your post is a huge expense for little gain in my opinion, but if you have the money to spend, it'll be fun.

What else do you use your computer for other than gaming?

#5 Carnage

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 34 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDrop Ship

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:40 AM

If your system is just for gaming then you are spending a lot of money for parts you don't need. A i7 4790K would serve you better than the CPU you are looking at. You are putting way more RAM than is usable for gaming and anything past 1600Mhz has very little effect on your games. You can go with a less expensive MB and still get the same play ability. Your biggest factor is your GPU and will make the biggest impact on your gaming PC period. Don't be fouled by fancy numbers or number of cores. Most games are not coded to run on more than four cores anyways. If you have money to burn build away, but if you are looking to build a solid gaming PC for the best price do some more research. Plus if you are going to build a new PC get a new PSU, using old PSU's with all new parts can lead to issues down the road ( depending on the PSU of course ). And I agree with the other "future proofing" is a myth. You can not expect to know what will come out in the next few years.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users