How Many Sub 100 Damage Players On Your Team?

119 replies to this topic

#1 Gorgo7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,220 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:49 AM

Since this competition started I have been having alot of difficulty with the teams I end up in.
Often there are four or even six players on my team who does sub 100 damage. These players are not farming, they are simply new. So new they cannot answer typed chat (or read apparently)

Is the matchmaker screwy? Before, I would drop with Pugs that had experience and could hit what they shot at. Not this weekend.

I probably have a win loss ratio of 1/3. Ouch. It has been reversed.

I don't want to play with newbs. I did that when I started over a year ago.

Why is PGI punishing me? Are they punishing you?

Please don't leave dismissive comments. I am very upset by this and need confirmation that this is not happening just to me.

#2 Vinhasa

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:05 AM

Because damage is the only measure of worth/contribution is damage, amirite?

#3 3rdworld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:13 AM

Grimlock posted this one last night. 9 people on his team under 100.

Posted Image

#4 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:16 AM

Everyone has subpar rounds. Oh wait some never do. At least that's what they say here.

Well it beats me too. I assume its an ELO thing because I can play the same mech one day and I am surrounded 3 or 4 good players. Other times I seem to have high match score for my team (Just luck, I'm Not very good)

Most often we all do poorly and I fall in the middle.

Heard every supposed experts opinion on this matter and I think now its just a crap shoot because they experts are usually wrong.

#5 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:18 AM

I really don't care as some of them can be poorly rewarded spotters or bait.

#6 jlawsl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:30 AM

I have noticed the same thing. It happens all of the time. Sometimes they are new players, sometimes they are guys caught flat footed by a team worth of LRM spam. Other times, its that unlucky light that got whacked at long range early on. Or they were capping the whole game and finally got caught. Where I can see your frustration would probably be the guys that are the last ones alive, with little time left on the clock. You watch them plod around in a mostly fresh mech, blindly firing lrms, ignoring enemies that are popping up on their HUD, or getting shot at and looking around like they can't tell where it came from.

That kind of gameplay is annoying to watch. If you are forgiving, you may think they are missing because they are lagging out or just have a bad connection. But then again, I must say that there are guys on this forum that complain about the same thing but chalk it up to a fluke when it happens to them. I play almost exclusively solo(all of my friends quit pretty much). I went into a game yesterday where all of the guys with founder badges were trying to organize or take charge. Not bad to do. But then some guy with a legendary founder badge, that was dead, is telling me-"Kill something jlawsl". I kinda took offense to that a little because it seems like everyone has the opinion that solo drops are for new guys.

I was in an AWS-8R with a 240 standard-going 53kph. I was slow to get to the fight, but was still giving support on the way with 2 lrm 15s at long range, and had just killed a Firestarter at short range with srm 6s and LPLs. So, I just said "nah", knowing I was doing my part, to which the inevitable responses came. We lost the match by 4, but I ended up with the most kills-4 kill/2 assist and the most damage, almost 600. He didn't do badly, no kills, but over 500 damage and 8 assist, but all of the other guys giving grief and trying to be in charge, displaying badges, all had abysmal damage lower then 300.

I only mention guys with badges because A-They are the ones on the forums the most. And B-It usually means they have some kind of experience. That being said, I think everyone has bad games in solo drops. One day, you can be that guy on caustic or alpine that gets over 1000 damage in his Stalker, Stormcrow or any other mech you want to run tons of lrms on, but then you play on Crimson Strait and end up having to go underneath because their whole team went to the tunnel, or wait up top to die while your worthless to the team.

#7 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:33 AM

Sometimes damage happens, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it's not as bad as it seems.

The guy who solo-capped 2 points and then died when he got swarmed, doing only 50 damage, was at least doing something helpful.

The guy who charged in to the nearest mech and fired relentlessly till he died in less than 2 minutes? Not really helping the team much.

View Post3rdworld, on 24 August 2014 - 08:13 AM, said:

I'd remove the names from that.

#8 Why Run

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:52 AM

View Post3rdworld, on 24 August 2014 - 08:13 AM, said:

Posted Image

All I see here is OMG your Dire Wolves were so OP.

#9 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:00 AM

sick to be placed into teams with only idiots....

only trainers, lemmings and idiots. always 0:12 stomps.. matchmaker is a joke.. fighting against 4 DWF a Stalker and another 3 timberwolves rest are ECM kitfoxes or whatever..... my team... 1 ecm (IF any) rest brawler getting LRM melted....

such a big joke

#10 Illya Ghost Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 500 posts
  • LocationTaking your planets, eating your cookies.

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:07 AM

Not sub 100 overall.....but let's face it, sub 200, sub 100, generally not a great showing.
Posted Image

Over half the team, under 200. 3/4 in fact, including our two survivors.
Other team? 5 over 500 damage, 2 more over 350. Useful, contributative scores.

Yet my team won, theirs lost. Because the 2 survivors saw the writing on the wall, and instead of trying to get a higher score, started capping. I tied up the OpFor as long as possible, and had one other teammate who laid out decent hurt, and together, it was enough. We quite simply, within the first minute, were not going to win a straight fight.

About the only time your damage score tells "the whole story" is if you only play Skirmish. And that's training wheels tactic mode, so whoopee.

Edited by Illya Arkhipova, 24 August 2014 - 09:07 AM.

#11 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 892 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:10 AM

Focus on your own performance, don't worry about the others. Try to lead the new guys if you can, remember, new players is ultimately how our game survives as a whole.

Just a theory; but I suspect matchmaker is taking veteran players, pairing them with new players, vs a team of averages. Elo equals the same, but the Veteran has to carry big-time.

Reasoning? In the tournament I kept hitting up all the top ladder players, but off hours during the week I see many of these sub-100 games; I have at least a dozen screenshots kicking around where I am the only member of my team to exceed 200...

That's not to say I'm all that, of course. I have rotten games too... probably more than most since I insist on being the tip of the spear every match I play.

Edited by Flyby215, 24 August 2014 - 09:11 AM.

#12 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:13 AM

7 under 100
1 under 150
1 under 200
9 :D
Posted Image

Edited by Odins Fist, 24 August 2014 - 09:18 AM.

#13 Sandslice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

View PostGorgo7, on 24 August 2014 - 07:49 AM, said:

Since this competition started I have been having alot of difficulty with the teams I end up in.
Often there are four or even six players on my team who does sub 100 damage. These players are not farming, they are simply new. So new they cannot answer typed chat (or read apparently)

Is the matchmaker screwy? Before, I would drop with Pugs that had experience and could hit what they shot at. Not this weekend.

I probably have a win loss ratio of 1/3. Ouch. It has been reversed.

I don't want to play with newbs. I did that when I started over a year ago.

Why is PGI punishing me? Are they punishing you?

Please don't leave dismissive comments. I am very upset by this and need confirmation that this is not happening just to me.

*leaves dismissive comment*

There are several reasons why people do under 100 damage, most of which have nothing to do with being new.

-Getting narced and then relentlessly lurm-stormed.
-Getting artied in the face. (If the arty is placed with skill, it is often NOT lack of skill to fail to notice / avoid it.)
-Trying to recon / flank and happening to find their main column staring down the approach vector.
-Trying to recon / flank and coming under the crosshairs of a Pinpoint Engine. (I saw this happen to a Raven, who "heroically" charged around a corner to attack a Jager-40. That ended predictably.)
-Getting blazed by friendly fire. (I had a Summoner torn apart by a friendly alpha from behind last week, to the tune of 17 damage personally dealt.)
-Not finding the battle, despite all best efforts. (I had a steamroll victory last week where my Warhawk dealt all of 9(!!) damage, due absolutely to lack of opportunity; I never stopped moving toward the group, but the battle never stopped moving away from me and eluding my line of sight.)

There are others, but these are the main ones I've observed / suffered.

#14 ei8ht

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 82 posts
  • Locationobscured by ECM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:20 AM

It's the MM. When it doesn't have a large pool of players to draw from, it gets sloppy and just tries to get you a match within a certain period of time. And while it's doing that, it also tries to average out your W/L, so sometimes it also decides to screw you over. If you're good, carry harder.

#15 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:38 AM

Wish I'd taken a screenshot of one of my matches Friday evening: No less than four of my team mates posted 0 scores. Yep, zero for damage, kills, and assists.

Needless to say, we lost that one rather badly.

#16 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:52 AM

I'd like to see them add "exp gained" to the end totals (before premium of course).

I think there's some exceptions to the under-100 rule. I've had 2000xp games where I didn't do 100 damage.

UAV'ing and NARCing the entire team + multiple savior kills, to be precise. Then again, that same spotter on a team with nothing to benefit said UAV/NARC loses horribly and still deals....under 100 damage.

#17 Illya Ghost Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 500 posts
  • LocationTaking your planets, eating your cookies.

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:02 AM

is it always that the Bads come out on tournament/challenge weekends?

#18 MechWarrior849305

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

It's very fffffffffrustrating to see, that from the whole your team there are only 50% people that ... you know... fighting. At least they know HOW to fight :D
Posted Image

Edited by DuoAngel, 24 August 2014 - 11:50 AM.

#19 Fatal25

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

Everyone has a bad game from time to time. I just seen a Direwolf get narc 20 secs into Caustic Valley and he died within 70 seconds of the game starting from LRMageddon. He tried to make it to cover, but there was no way. This by no means indicates he is a bad player, it means he had horrible luck. If Cabrerra strikes out every time in one game is he a bad baseball player or did he have a bad game?

Don't get me wrong, I have seen bad players all weekend, myself included a couple games when I tried to push the envelope or got a phone call mid game. It doesn't necessarily mean they are a bad player unless you happen to PUG with the same guy a few games and they still can't reach 200pts. If that is the case maybe tactfully advised them they may want to hit the mechlab and training grounds a bit more. Sometimes it is as simple as unlocking your arms or turning mouse sensitivity down, don't instantly be jackhole. Try to give a helpful tip. If they don't want to take it, then be a jackhole.

#20 Kensaisama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 430 posts
  • LocationRedford, Michigan

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

Yeah ive done sub 100 damage, its my own fault because I did something stupid or wasn't paying attention and got creamed. No one is perfect :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users