Bravo! Weapon Modules Update

46 replies to this topic

#41 Theodore42

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 156 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:06 AM

You guys that say modules are useless... get one and put it on your mech. I was not expecting this but I think they are way OP now. Every module you bought can be used at any tier... I was expecting to have to buy tier 5 modules for 7.5M or something. And no heat at all? Didn't think the heat was that much, but my energy mechs run so much cooler since the update.

I expect a nerf incoming to the modules. Just get one for your favorite weapon and see. This is a damage buff for every shot you take beyond your max damage range, not just the 10% range improvement. I definitely feel like I have an unfair advantage against those that don't have it (and I didn't before).

Being end game content, once you have 10 or 20 mechs, this is something you should really look into. It is a tiny investment in assets compared to the purchase of mechs and xl engines. And no penalties (at the moment) makes it an obvious purchase.

If you skip this you are missing out.

#42 EvilCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:09 AM

I think that a good approach would be to keep new players in a separate queue until at least one of the following conditions has been satisfied:
1) The player has successfully brought to elite one chassis.
2) The player owns at least 12 mechs.
3) 200 kills.

After the goal has been reached the player would get a nice achievement with a special gift, may be a special variant of a mech.

This would both protect new players and give them an incentive to continue. Mixing veterans with new players is never going to work and only damages the game.

#43 PANZERKAT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 346 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:11 AM

A 200 m range increase to the AC 5 is HARDLY a slight increase. All that with no penalty or thought. You're simply gated by GXP and C-Bills.

These large range increases have essentially shrunk the maps and they are fairly small in the first place.

Boating has always been a problem. With the slight heat penalty, those who don't boat had the option of some extra range. Now, boats are rewarded. It's better to stick with one or two weapon systems so you can dump the correct modules in.

Not sure how this is going to pan out.

Edited by KOMMISSAR KITTY, 28 August 2014 - 07:13 AM.

#44 SubXulu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 196 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:33 AM

I was messing with modules last night, but assumed the omission of the heat penalty txt was just PGI dropping the ball again ... it does at least make some of them quite good if as previously described you have lots of GXP and CBills handy.

Edited by SubXulu, 28 August 2014 - 07:37 AM.

#45 FDJustin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:06 AM

View PostKOMMISSAR KITTY, on 28 August 2014 - 07:11 AM, said:

A 200 m range increase to the AC 5 is HARDLY a slight increase. All that with no penalty or thought. You're simply gated by GXP and C-Bills.

These large range increases have essentially shrunk the maps and they are fairly small in the first place.

Boating has always been a problem. With the slight heat penalty, those who don't boat had the option of some extra range. Now, boats are rewarded. It's better to stick with one or two weapon systems so you can dump the correct modules in.

Not sure how this is going to pan out.

62 meter effective, 124 max. Much less than 200, unless I'm missing something?
I agree that it will encourage some boating, but that won't always be the case. Some people will simply enhance the longest weapon of their loadout, as they get the most out of it, others will focus on the shorter ones. Others will just boat. None of those are going to prove to be without value.

You can't say a 2% / level range is significant, and a 2% / level heat penalty is slight. The heat makes it more of a detriment more often than the extra range. 2% per 1%, maybe, if you can control which level of the module you have installed. I warn you now, adding a heat penalty hedges out mechs much faster than any other sort of penalty.

#46 Roadkill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

It's okay to have negatives as long as they're properly balanced.

The problem is that heat isn't properly balanced against range. Range is only situationally useful - if you're inside the weapon's normal range, the range boost isn't helping. But the heat negative always applies. So the old modules were actually bad to use because they always provided a penalty, but only rarely provided a benefit.

Heat could be used as a negative on a module that provided increased damage, though, as both of those always apply.

#47 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:57 PM

View PostFut, on 28 August 2014 - 06:32 AM, said:

I really do believe that the new players need to be mixed in with Vets in order to improve their skills. Being able to watch, mimic and learn from people who've been playing for years is way better experience than all rookies playing match after match with/against each other.

While I normally agree with that idea... we're talking about players that haven't quite learned how to drive, torso twist, and shoot. Once a player gets past the stage when driving a mech isn't the first thing on their minds, then it's easier to watch other players and copy some ideas.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users