Is Hit Detection Off Lately Or Is It Just Me?

36 replies to this topic

#21 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:33 AM

Just you.

#22 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:39 AM

View PostJason Parker, on 02 September 2014 - 08:33 AM, said:

Just you.

except for the many, MANY other players experiencing the same thing

#23 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:58 AM

View PostSandpit, on 02 September 2014 - 08:39 AM, said:

Just for giggles PGI should disable HSR again for a week or so ...

I don't deny that in certain ping situation HSR is off, it has to be because such systems simply have their limitations and can't make up for the lack of local servers (which by the way is one of the many reasons I do not understand that anti-dedicated player hosted server stance the industry has taken for a few years now).

But in my view, especially when watching the "proof" videos that pop up in these kind of threads usually, 90% of the "HSR is off" moaning, comes from people that imagine things (like seeing their crosshair on target when it actually is off at the moment of shooting) or do not understand how convergence and the positioning of their guns on their mechs is influencing their targeting (especialy when leading on long distances with PPCs, ACs and the like).

#24 Catra Lanis

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:38 AM

There is an increase in shots that don't register. The last 3 or 4 days I have started to miss a lot. I've been running around in Yen Lo and even if the target is not moving laterally but running straight towards or from me the AC20 just goes right through.

I'm not a crack shot but I find it hard to believe my accuracy dropped that dramatically overnight for no apparent reason.

#25 Jalik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 199 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:46 AM

It's andecdotal, but it feels like the hit reg is much worse at some occations than it used to be. Usually I don't experience huge problems with it but yesterday that spider run away from me in a straight line, me following him with about equal speed, and I shot him in the back and legs for 30 sec or longer. I don't want to say he didn't take any damage, but it was certainly not what I expected. I only was able to kill this guy when he stopped and turned around. He stood still for a while (a beginner pilot apparently) and tried to kill me when I was circling around him and finaly was able to leg him.
Maybe this is a symptom of the same issue that leads to the desync? Or maybe he was laggy?
I'm playing from Germany with a 110 ms ping (improved from 125 ms since the migration).

#26 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:04 AM

View PostSandpit, on 02 September 2014 - 08:39 AM, said:

I guess I am lucky then. Cause I am hitting as good if not better than than I have been of late. ^_^

#27 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:07 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 03 September 2014 - 02:04 AM, said:

I guess I am lucky then. Cause I am hitting as good if not better than than I have been of late. ^_^

I think it's been off since the migration for specific weapons that it was never off for before.

As an example, I normally play my TBR-P with 4 CERMLs and either 2 CERLLs or 2 CLPLs, depending on what's working at any given time. For the last couple of days, the lasers simply aren't doing the damage they were...and we're talking about hitting stationary targets as a benchmark.

I swapped the larges out for CUAC5s (in chainfire) and what do you know? The damage it back.

Now, I know that lasers and MGs are "hitscan" weapons and ballistics were always "iffy" in the past (except for the Gauss). I wonder what would cause it to flip-flop like that? I would imaging ping/lag would have something to do with it, but I'm pinging in a little better on the new servers than the old ones. I haven't got a clue, I just managed to find a "fix" for it.

#28 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:15 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 03 September 2014 - 03:07 AM, said:

I think it's been off since the migration for specific weapons that it was never off for before.

As an example, I normally play my TBR-P with 4 CERMLs and either 2 CERLLs or 2 CLPLs, depending on what's working at any given time. For the last couple of days, the lasers simply aren't doing the damage they were...and we're talking about hitting stationary targets as a benchmark.

I swapped the larges out for CUAC5s (in chainfire) and what do you know? The damage it back.

Now, I know that lasers and MGs are "hitscan" weapons and ballistics were always "iffy" in the past (except for the Gauss). I wonder what would cause it to flip-flop like that? I would imaging ping/lag would have something to do with it, but I'm pinging in a little better on the new servers than the old ones. I haven't got a clue, I just managed to find a "fix" for it.

My AC20 2 Mediums on my Alts Victor worked well yesterday. Maybe its a Clan (stealth)Nerf? :huh:

#29 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:24 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 03 September 2014 - 03:15 AM, said:

My AC20 2 Mediums on my Alts Victor worked well yesterday. Maybe its a Clan (stealth)Nerf? :huh:

Hard to tell, man. I avoided CUACs for the longest time...the spazzfire from them was annoying and the ammo dependence just made it worse. Same thing with CLRMs. But, they're working fine now. Go figure, right?

#30 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:33 AM

I could not stand the UAC20! I threw one on the Hellbringer along with an ERPPC(Test Server). I was SOOO unimpressed with the Dakka!

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 03 September 2014 - 03:35 AM.

#31 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:34 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 03 September 2014 - 02:04 AM, said:

Same here. And I use all weapon types on my mechs.

View PostWillard Phule, on 03 September 2014 - 03:07 AM, said:

As far as hitting stationary targets goes, that actually is a problem ever since especially at point blank range when they are unpiloted or shut down. I think this is one half an edge case in which the client position and server position of the stationary mech are simply not in sync and do not get updated on the client for whatever reason until the mech boots up and moves again. The other half is being just too close to a light or medium mech when being a heavy or assault for the weapons to converge on the target thus they shoot past the mech.

But when we talk about normal combat situations (both mechs moving and at ranges > 100m) for me all weapons hit and do damage just fine across the board. Especially the C-ML and C-LL on my clan mechs and the MPLs and LPLs on my Jester.

#32 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:58 AM

View PostJason Parker, on 03 September 2014 - 03:34 AM, said:

As far as hitting stationary targets goes, that actually is a problem ever since especially at point blank range when they are unpiloted or shut down. I think this is one half an edge case in which the client position and server position of the stationary mech are simply not in sync and do not get updated on the client for whatever reason until the mech boots up and moves again. The other half is being just too close to a light or medium mech when being a heavy or assault for the weapons to converge on the target thus they shoot past the mech.

But when we talk about normal combat situations (both mechs moving and at ranges > 100m) for me all weapons hit and do damage just fine across the board. Especially the C-ML and C-LL on my clan mechs and the MPLs and LPLs on my Jester.

I was referring to things like D-DC LRM boats that are fixated on a single target. Standing right behind him, pounding his rear LT to kill the ECM...that kind of stuff. UACs work just fine. Lasers, not so much. 4 CERMLs = 28 points of damage. 2 CERLLs add another 20 to it. There's no way it's got 48 points of armor on a rear torso.

#33 Cpt Zaepp

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 88 posts
  • LocationOn Alpine, Hamburger Hill, watching my team spreading out like a cheap prostitute on Solaris VII...

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:13 AM

Hit-reg is bad. Seems like whole volleys disappear into thin air.

I have the feeling it got worse with the rejoin-patch, but I may be wrong. The game worked very good for me before this patch.

Furthermore it seems like hit-reg is better as long as I play against players with a similar latency (~ 130 ms). But I may be wrong as well.

#34 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:24 AM

View PostCatra Lanis, on 03 September 2014 - 01:38 AM, said:

There is an increase in shots that don't register. The last 3 or 4 days I have started to miss a lot. I've been running around in Yen Lo and even if the target is not moving laterally but running straight towards or from me the AC20 just goes right through.

I'm not a crack shot but I find it hard to believe my accuracy dropped that dramatically overnight for no apparent reason.

I have a hard time hitting things on some days but that's all me. When I am doing well and hitting everything I do find that shots go sideways or pass right on through but its limited to one or a few matches then self corrects somehow. It has not gotten near as bad like during the spider apocalypse. Then you could actually face bang a target see the reaction of the hit and nothing registers.

Im still not ready to blame pgi because after seeing how many different things are messed up on the net these days I tend to think many of the issues are far beyond their control. Because of that I tend to give them a pass as its working better more often than not.

If you doubt what I am saying read the mail in most any other internet based business. Everyone is having issues even the markets and very seriously banking and credit cards.

Or move to Chattanooga TN , It wont fix it but it will make sure its not on your end. http://gizmodo.com/5...nooga-tennessee

Edited by Mudhutwarrior, 03 September 2014 - 05:25 AM.

#35 DieGruneMorder

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:34 PM

I had an issue the other day shooting directly at a catapults torso from a 45 degree angle....3 times and no damage whatsoever.

#36 Zoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:24 PM

Yeah, it's been really stupid hard to kill a spider or firestarter recently. On my screen, I hit him with dual large clan pulse lasers about 12 times (so 24 lasers) and he still doesn't have any open armor.

#37 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:51 AM

Let me update my previous opinion:

Hit Reg is bad for lasers and clan auto-cannons. Hit Reg is fine for IS Autocannons and Gauss.

(BTW turn on damage glow and watch in some games how a leg will glow when you CT hit someone with a laser.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users