Those Who Complain About Lrms

166 replies to this topic

#1 Gryphon187

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:38 PM

During 3 games yesterday, there were people who were complaining about LRMs. Basically the gist of their complaints were 1) "the only reason I was killed was due to someone, or several someones, using LRMs", and 2) REAL 'MechWarriors would stand and slug it out with lasers, not be a coward and hide behind cover and launch LRMs. My response is this: AMS, ECM, and FIND COVER! Most Battlemechs can mount AMS and/or ECM. Use it! Also, stick near cover and use it when you get the warning signal. These are not 100% effective, These things will help extend your life in the game. As far as standing and slugging it out, I am not that honorable, I fight to win, not for honor. I PREFER to stand behind cover and attack the enemy, while avoiding return fire. Additionally, in order to be more effective with LRM + Artemis, line of sight is needed. That means exposing myself to possible return fire. I have been on both sides of the LRM issue. I have pounded Battlemechs into dust with LRMs, and I have been the recipient of being pounded into dust by enemy LRMs. I accept LRMs as part of the game. I deal with them using the above methods, or I die. But I don't complain about them.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:06 PM

I guess those LRM QQers are the sorry off-springs of those who died frequently to proximity mines in Golden Eye 64.

Oh, the fun I had with those, and the amount of rage I caused. ;)

Edited by El Bandito, 04 September 2014 - 08:08 PM.

#3 Lynx7725

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:42 PM

Y'know, we almost made a whole week without any LRM threads. That would have been a historical moment for MWO forums! Sigh...

#4 Bartholomew bartholomew

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:48 PM

That'll never happen

#5 Tezcatli

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:55 PM

They need to buff individual LRM launchers and nerf grouping them together. No longer allow piggybacking someone's lock, except for when used with Tag or Narc. It should be an effective weapon system that requires some skill imo. Not just sit in the back and go "Click, click, click, click."

#6 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:00 PM

I think they need to nerf whiners, they're way too OP.

#7 Pecosdude

• Pip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:09 PM

View PostEscef, on 04 September 2014 - 09:00 PM, said:

Haha, thats a good one.

#8 Johnny Reb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:11 PM

View PostLynx7725, on 04 September 2014 - 08:42 PM, said:

Y'know, we almost made a whole week without any LRM threads. That would have been a historical moment for MWO forums! Sigh...

At least in the last 2 months.

#9 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:37 PM

People should complain about NARC instead. It needs drop damage.

#10 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:45 PM

View PostGryphon187, on 04 September 2014 - 04:38 PM, said:

During 3 games yesterday, there were people who were complaining about LRMs. Basically the gist of their complaints were 1) "the only reason I was killed was due to someone, or several someones, using LRMs", and 2) REAL 'MechWarriors would stand and slug it out with lasers, not be a coward and hide behind cover and launch LRMs. My response is this: AMS, ECM, and FIND COVER! Most Battlemechs can mount AMS and/or ECM. Use it! Also, stick near cover and use it when you get the warning signal. These are not 100% effective, These things will help extend your life in the game. As far as standing and slugging it out, I am not that honorable, I fight to win, not for honor. I PREFER to stand behind cover and attack the enemy, while avoiding return fire. Additionally, in order to be more effective with LRM + Artemis, line of sight is needed. That means exposing myself to possible return fire. I have been on both sides of the LRM issue. I have pounded Battlemechs into dust with LRMs, and I have been the recipient of being pounded into dust by enemy LRMs. I accept LRMs as part of the game. I deal with them using the above methods, or I die. But I don't complain about them.

I quote the argument between Egg Chen and Wang Chi in "Big Trouble in Little China" about the wisdom of an umbrella in the rain.

Wang Chi: A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face, Jack.[/color]
Egg Shen: Yeah, and a wise man has enough sense to get in out of the rain![/color]

Edited by Kjudoon, 04 September 2014 - 10:46 PM.

#11 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:49 PM

View PostTezcatli, on 04 September 2014 - 08:55 PM, said:

They need to buff individual LRM launchers and nerf grouping them together. No longer allow piggybacking someone's lock, except for when used with Tag or Narc. It should be an effective weapon system that requires some skill imo. Not just sit in the back and go "Click, click, click, click."

Yes... nerf teamworkin a teamwork game. We must encourage Rambotardia. There's too few people walking around thinking they're Rambo here or the Master Chief with a thousand respawns in their back pocket and healing potions to boot.

#12 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:11 PM

View PostTezcatli, on 04 September 2014 - 08:55 PM, said:

As long as PGI buff LRM speed to 200 m/s and nerf GECM function to canon value, I am totally fine with that.

Edited by El Bandito, 04 September 2014 - 11:13 PM.

#13 FREDtheDEAD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSouth Autstralia

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:20 AM

The problem is with PUG games.

I don't doubt it's fine for premades and private matches where teams have ECM cover and are built to be balanced fighting forces, but it's an issue with PUGgers where it's a complete rock-paper-scissors if your team or the enemy get any LRM boats or any ECM. I suppose this might change with CW... somehow... but it's bloody annoying at the moment.

#14 FREDtheDEAD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 406 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:25 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 04 September 2014 - 10:45 PM, said:

Wang Chi: A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face, Jack.[/color]
Egg Shen: Yeah, and a wise man has enough sense to get in out of the rain![/color]
And an assault mech pilot accepts that he's going to get very wet indeed before reaching cover.

#15 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:30 AM

PGI needs to change ECM to canon value.

Edited by Black Ivan, 05 September 2014 - 12:30 AM.

#16 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:31 AM

Then that Assault mech is not playing smart enough. I run assault mechs, and if I can't get it over 70, or at the very very slowest, the high 60's it's not fast enough to run. ANd yes, I know that most assaults can't do it. That means they have to play tighter to cover, and use AMS to soften the punches if not ECM.

I also run in PUGs from time to time when I'm grinding a quick game or two, or just don't want to be around other people for a while. You can never trust to have ECM, so you have to play all the time like you don't have ECM. It's called overcome and conquer. It's not always fun or easy or even possible. YOu may have a lot of derp on your team and that there will destroy you. But it's not the LRMs fault. Be aware of your surroundings, and play like you're really in the cockpit and could die. It generally makes you a lot more responsible and aware of your moves and keeps you playing smarter the whole time.

Not saying I manage it all the time, but I do a lot of the time.

#17 FREDtheDEAD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 406 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:33 AM

View PostEscef, on 04 September 2014 - 09:00 PM, said:

If PGI paid any attention to suggestions on the forums, UI 2 would look like Smurfys and 3rd person wouldn't exist. Clearly they follow their own path.

#18 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:35 AM

Isaid in the last 100 LRM threads and I say it again:

About the only thing that still bothers me about LRM gameplay is the fact that you get no feedback from the game whatsoever if you got hit by a NARC. I think adding such feedback should have been a no brainer at the same time the NARCs were buffed.

#19 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:37 AM

View PostXajorkith, on 05 September 2014 - 12:25 AM, said:

And an assault mech pilot accepts that he's going to get very wet indeed before reaching cover.

That's part of his skill; understanding what it's going on, what kind of mechs the enemy have before being late, ecc.

#20 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:38 AM

I know someone who quits matches just because LRMs are fielded.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users