BattleMechs

58 replies to this topic

#41 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:55 PM

Yea I only ever owned one victor and dint even like it before the nerfs lol. Im not an assault pilot though. I will agree though that the original need for a VTR nerf is mostly gone. Honestly I'd rather have the jump sniping meta than all this incessant lrm boating and arty strike no-skill non sense. I can tip my a hat begrudgingly to someone who kills me by actually having to aim.

#42 Prezimonto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:57 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 September 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

define just fine?

The nerfs to the meta, fine. My ability to out turn an Atlas had NOTHING to do with Poptarts, and got to tell ya..... the flood of VTRs on the field sfo the last year, 99% of them weren't Brawlers.

The VTR is a mediocre chassis now, at best.

I agree. It was my favorite chassis because it was the king of in your face brawlers. I almost never jump-sniped with it, and was generally bad when I did. But as a Brawler with a big engine, full JJ, an AC20 and 2LL, it was a beast... until it wasn't agile enough to survive AND keep dishing damage the whole time. I haven't played one consistently outside of Stock Mech Nights for months now.

#43 Bartholomew bartholomew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:06 PM

I do miss the agility. It used to be able to fight on the ground like nobody's business.

Now they generally can't keep up in a furball, So more armor is generally better. Been getting banshee's.

#44 Carl Avery

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:08 PM

View PostRoland, on 02 September 2014 - 09:08 AM, said:

What are these important things of which you speak?

Primarily the ability to run the old 2x PPC + 2x AC5 build. While this is no longer the unchallenged king of the pro-level builds, it does have advantages over the 2x ERPPC + 1x Gauss Timberwolf; it maintains a 30-pt. FLD Alpha at long-medium range (and the projectile speeds are closer to each other), while having a higher DPS and a much higher (~30%) sustainable DPS. If you sacrifice something to make those IS AC5s into Ultras, you can get even more DPS on average.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 September 2014 - 09:10 AM, said:

You mean, you consistently see the top tier players Poptart in their Dragonslayers. Not really the same as the VTR being the "best mech". More along lines of a single, P2W variant abusing a broken Mechanic, to stay on top.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but it looks to me as though you're confusing me with someone who defends the pro-level playstyle. I don't; I'm just pointing out how it works. When I said "best battlemech," I meant "the 'mech that is best able to win amongst professional-level gamers," and that'd be either the Timberwolf or the Victor. Please don't mistake {my acknowledgement of this simple fact} for {an approval of the gaming practices of the pro-level players}.

Edited by Carl Avery, 02 September 2014 - 03:47 PM.

#45 Hillslam

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:05 PM

Victor nerf was ridiculous. Period. End of Sentence. End of paragraph.

I've stripped and shelved all mine. And all were set up as brawlers, not a 'tart in the bunch. Too bad - they took the chassis about as polar opposite from the lore as they could have. Its now only good for sniping.

When a TBR can outrun/outturn a Griffon, PGI has no legs to stand on turning the Victor into a molasses sled.

But alas, the nerf street is a one way street.

#46 skorpionet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 292 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:42 PM

For all those terrorized by jumpsnipers I can reassure that VTR pilots want, above all, the reset of insane movements nerf.

#47 Phashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationBuckeye stuck in Michigan

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:24 PM

My DS was rocking this past week. Dusted him off for the first time in months, and having a blast. Of course, I never played the jump-snipe game... <edit> but he seems to be a little sluggish... but then I play fast mediums 90% of the time, so everything is relative...

Edited by Phashe, 02 September 2014 - 06:26 PM.

#48 Past

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:35 PM

This is my Dragonslayer i think you'll agree its very non meta:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fba7d76e1f5613b

since i have bought it for real world currency:

Turn rate nerf:
Cant handle the 400XL speed usually drive it less than full throttle to avoid running into walls defeating the 400XL purpose. Really hurts close range brawling which is what its for.

Torso twist speed nerf:
Main armament is on the torso and reduced aiming capability. Deliberately left arms as sacrificial now harder to shield with.

Arm movement speed nerf:
Close range weapons on arms now harder to aim for the fast movers that come close enough to fire them.

S-SRM2 nerf:
2 less damage per salvo on the twin S-SRM2

Jump jet nerf:
the 3 Jump jets probably don't fulfill much purpose beyond just having a just a single one now yet don't really have anything worth swapping them out for.

That quite a slap in the face for something i paid money for especially since i bought it so close to when they decided to ruin it. The 400XL is also quite a time investment to grind the Cbills for also.

#49 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:48 AM

I ran a Near stock Victor yesterday(Dubbs and Endo full armor more AC ammo). It worked well once I got my rhythm.

#50 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:36 AM

I don't think the Victor is dead at all, however, I do agree that PGI should have simply made JJ sake go through the entire jump, that would have solved poptarting with out effecting mobility so much.

As some of you guys pointed out about people crying because motion sickness. Most if not all of them simply wanted their Ezmode poptarting and I have said that from the very start, calling them out on their BS.
Remember when the JJ sake was implemented and people were crying because it was making them motion sick, and when PGI toned down the screen sake they were all like, "No, I meant, the crosshair shake was what was making me motion sick :ph34r: ".
I wish I could have had the power to punch people through the computer screen at that moment.

Edited by Coralld, 03 September 2014 - 07:27 PM.

#51 Kageru Ikazuchi

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:54 PM

VTR-9S (AC/20 - SRM-6/4/2 - 2xML) is still one of my favorite brawlers.

I learned jumpsniping in a VTR-DS (2x AC/5 - 2x PPC still works) ... it just takes better timing and heat management.

However, any time I start drifting into nostalgia-land for VTRs or CTFs, I realize that any IS Heavy or Assault will likely be confronted by a Dire Whale or Laser Vomit on the other side ... it's a tough realization to make.

#52 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:30 PM

Damn, if you cant make the Victor work and do well in it then its the pilots fault not the mechs.
My Victor does great and I have no problems outperforming many other assaults in it.

Nothing needs to change for this mech.

#53 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:53 PM

The turn speed nerf makes building a brawler with a STD engine in it, near impossible on any competitive level.
Being forced to run a STD-280 or STD-300 in it for the weapons it needs, your turnspeed is abysmal.

Any Victor pilot knows that your CT is HUGE, when you can't turn to shield it with anything less than a 325 minimal, you're just driving around in a coffin.

VTR is not an Atlas, its 20 tons lighter, so why is one of the best brawlers the IS has still neutered now that both Clanners are out, and the PPC is nerfed into the ground?

Edited by Mister D, 04 September 2014 - 12:03 AM.

#54 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:57 PM

View Postcdlord, on 02 September 2014 - 08:22 AM, said:

Since the nerf was due to the meta-builds wrecking havoc on everything, you all did this to yourselves. My Dragon Slayer plays just fine if you don't try to meta it.

OK, play me in a timberwolf and I'll **** your face...

...Oh, then you will just cry "meta timberwolf".

We didn't do anything - you guys merely cycle the meta adjective to other mechs with your circular idiotic logic blame game.

#55 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:02 AM

View PostCarl Avery, on 02 September 2014 - 03:08 PM, said:

Primarily the ability to run the old 2x PPC + 2x AC5 build. While this is no longer the unchallenged king of the pro-level builds, it does have advantages over the 2x ERPPC + 1x Gauss Timberwolf; it maintains a 30-pt. FLD Alpha at long-medium range (and the projectile speeds are closer to each other), while having a higher DPS and a much higher (~30%) sustainable DPS. If you sacrifice something to make those IS AC5s into Ultras, you can get even more DPS on average.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but it looks to me as though you're confusing me with someone who defends the pro-level playstyle. I don't; I'm just pointing out how it works. When I said "best battlemech," I meant "the 'mech that is best able to win amongst professional-level gamers," and that'd be either the Timberwolf or the Victor. Please don't mistake {my acknowledgement of this simple fact} for {an approval of the gaming practices of the pro-level players}.

No one's taking the DS anymore dude, it's ****. It doesn't compare with the Timberwolf. 2ppc 2ac5 doesn't even come close to what you can put on the Timberwolf dude or any other clan mech for that matter. I'd rather take a stormcrown than DS at this point, and I could probably beat the DS with those 50 tons vs. 80tons.

DS has been overly nerfed to oblivions. It's over. Even the non-sniping kids agree. Like I said, it doesn't matter because we can just use the Timberwolf now. Nerfing everything you think is overpowered doesn't solve anything, but 90% of this community is so bad that you all ruined this game so you'll eat your words once it all comes back to you.

#56 Charronn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationPictland

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:25 AM

View PostKageru Ikazuchi, on 03 September 2014 - 08:54 PM, said:

VTR-9S (AC/20 - SRM-6/4/2 - 2xML) is still one of my favorite brawlers.

I learned jumpsniping in a VTR-DS (2x AC/5 - 2x PPC still works) ... it just takes better timing and heat management.

However, any time I start drifting into nostalgia-land for VTRs or CTFs, I realize that any IS Heavy or Assault will likely be confronted by a Dire Whale or Laser Vomit on the other side ... it's a tough realization to make.

I ran my Ilya last night,after a couple of good games I realized that it just can't cut it against the Whale or TW.These mechs have made it obsolete.Sad to see my old triple ultra being out dakka'd.

#57 DieGruneMorder

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:31 PM

A horrible tragedy. I mean all i used to see were Victors at the top of the scoreboard....day in ....day out LOL!!! Yeah right, like this mech was the one that needed nerfing. Pretty lame. FIX JUMPJETS TOO!!!

#58 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:42 PM

http://th03.devianta..._by_JERICOB.jpg

#59 Kiryuin Ragyo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationNorth Korea

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:29 PM

View Postskorpionet, on 02 September 2014 - 08:17 AM, said:

I want to tell you a story, the Victor's Death.

In the past time Victor mechs model were know for their mobility in the battle field, true brawler mechs. A bad day a man, in the factory, underpowered their specs, no more brawlers in the fight.
Thanks to jumpjets Victor mechs, above all Dragon Slayer hero variant (true money for it), were know for their jump sniper ability. A bad day the same man made a malfunctioning lot of jumpjets, all Victor mechs never leave the ground.
Then a new technology arrives on the inner sphere, more powerful mechs, more powerful weapons. Victor mechs can't do nothing to defend their lands, no one at the factory knew how to fix, no one listened to the mechwarriors.
At last new dropships can contain only 3 assault mechs, why descend on the battlefield with twenty tons less in a coffin? The Victor is dead and you've killed you.

p.s.: excuse me for my poor English language.

Dead yeah...

Spoiler

Edited by Kiryuin Ragyo, 05 September 2014 - 02:30 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users