- - - - -

Update On The Desync Bug - Feedback

91 replies to this topic

#41 daishi2k4

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:46 PM

From my experiences, since the game continues normally for people not experiencing lag, this is definitly an issue with the network connection to a specific player (I didn't read the post explaining it yet).

The only good solution, which PGI is also pushing until they get an actual fix, is to reconnect. Since this is an official remedy, I would like to pitch what I hope is a simple work around until this is officially solved (my experience tells me that this will take a really long time to fix, expecially if you cannot replicate it in dev).

Please make an option in the Esc menu to reconnect with a single button click. It should drop the connection and make a new one without having to wipe the map from memory.

I love how you guys made the game so visually stunning using CryEngine, but the fact of the matter is, the amount of time it takes to drop the map, load the client, drop the client and load the map again takes a very long time (especially for people running 5400rpm HDDs).

Having an option that quickly recycles the connection to the server directly, instead of the roundabout method of disconnecting makes much more sense for what is essentially (I assume) a network problem.

The current method is really meant for people who have an issue with a program freezing or crashing. Even if you do eventually get this fixed, my experience says that you will have it occur in some other fashion later as more and more people enjoy playing MWO. This has always been the case in networked gaming, but as games have larger and more numerous assets, the traditional approach just doesn't work, since mainstream HDD speeds cannot really keep track of assets.

Regards, and keep up the good work!

#42 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:57 PM

daishi2k4, that is a REALLY good suggestion, despite being a bandaid, it seems the network engineers are stumped by this one. It might even allow certain hypothesis about the cause of the desyncs to be tested.

#43 Ahernar

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:41 PM

When i play , 15-18UT the bug appears rarely , about once per a 3 hour gaming session . It's a nuissance , not a real show stopper . I also watch all the games until the bitter end .

#44 tm10067

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:59 PM

Desynch appears less often but still appears. Interestingly Ctrl-Alt-Delete either cures it or disconnects from the match totally.

Also MWO works with memory very bad, it fills RAM to exception just in 2 or 3 matches, alpine and terra terma overload memory permanently. (WinXP).

#45 NextGame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:45 PM

there are no specific actions that appear to definitely cause the problem. Often I will get a desync when simply walking around.

Happens in different mech types, with different loadouts, stationary or moving, in combat or not. etc.

It has become less frequent since the previous fix, but it is still noticeably there and therefore not something to be put to the side.

Edited by NextGame, 02 September 2014 - 11:46 PM.

#46 RjBass3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 635 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationKansas City MO.

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:50 AM

The DeSync issue is an easy one to diagnose, but not easy to fix. The problem is with the large ISP's. They see all the traffic/bandwidth heading to the MWO servers and they start to throttle it in an attempt to squeeze money out of PGI, and at the same time telling the consumer their connection is to slow and they need to upgrade.

Yes that is a joke, I obviously don't know what causes the DeSync, but it does make you think about it and go hmmmmmm.

#47 Hagoromo Gitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconic Combine, outscirts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:55 AM

Is Vendicator will be out today for a C-Bees? And when we gonna put our hands on Mech Factory map?

#48 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:08 AM

Im wondering if it isnt packet size being used in the networking.
Ages ago it was this that caused discos, and if i remember its was fixed by altering packet size.

#49 Why Run

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 370 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:21 AM

Disconnects every single game. Often have to leave and come back to match. Additionally I'm desync'ing randomly. Every map thus far, sometimes for 15 seconds, sometimes for minutes, leave and try to come back and the match has ended. I most often see MachineGuns from an ember (basically any mech with 3+ machine guns), at the point of desync, but sometimes it's been with only 2 or 3 mechs remaining. Often game ruining.

#50 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:49 AM

Rarely have desyncs, cannot yet comment on if they have become more frequent. I did get a desync on Tourmaline 2 days ago. Though not directly visable at the time of occurence, there was a Firestarter shooting 4 MG's close by. (got to visually inspect this in all its static glory)

#51 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:41 AM

Desyncs are still happening.

#52 Cricket504

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 64 posts
  • LocationZeeland, MI

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:07 AM

Have seen desync about once every 8 matches . Charter cable for internet, i7-950, 24 Gig DDR3, GeForce GTX 570 and Win 7 Pro. Normal ping is 28 to 36 at most times even after server move. Seen it both during heavy combat and times when there is just teams moving into position. Ctrl-Alt-Delete clears it most of the time, never get DC'd doing it but some times the desync persists.

#53 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:48 AM

I've NEVER seen desync happening till the Reconnection function patch. I'm pretty sure something in that patch botch something.

#54 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:00 AM

if you cant find a problem with the network then maybe its not networking issue.

maybe its a problem regarding the hsr frameworks, and the other frameworks that handle the processing of server side client information, not the transit framework.

#55 Fauxwise

• PipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 66 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTropical Sweden

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:43 AM

I've experienced a decrease in the desync bug. Other than that vague statement I can't help you. Weapons fire could perhaps also have improved lately. Another vague statement, yes.

Edited by Fauxwise, 03 September 2014 - 09:43 AM.

#56 BladeXXL

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:43 AM

I had this bug a couple of time just after colisions woth other mechs with resulting rubberbanding ... maybe a hint.

#57 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 775 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:11 AM

I am lucky one. For 4 days only a few desync. Before it was much much more.

Before the last patch Ive had like every 5th game Cryengine failure. Not seen this last 4 days.

Ping went from 125 ms to 140ms (10 percent). Probably additional routing hop?

I am not happy that now game crashes every 3rd game with memory fault (I have 4 Gigs).
EVERY Terra Terma will crush during map loading with memory fault, then i rejoin and continue playing.

Buffer overrun obviously but I am not in the mood to convert hex values and do packet inspection.

Btw, clan machine guns will crash the game sometimes. Spider 5k with mgs - no crash.

Idea, decrease the GFX effect on MGs rate, dont nerf them!!!

Edited by ExoForce, 03 September 2014 - 10:34 AM.

#58 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:12 AM

Its still there but a fraction of what it was..

However I still ain't happy, and only happy people spend money.

Your support team know how PGI can make me happy, but all they do is quote ToS at me, while my premium ticks down, so until you make me happy, I don't help pay your staffs wages..

simples

#59 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:19 AM

View PostSprouticus, on 02 September 2014 - 05:10 PM, said:

you realize that the game servers are in EASTERN Canada, right?

He's not serious. He's been quitting the game for 3 years now. Any time now!

#60 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:16 PM

Let me see...

Pew pew moonwalk.

I think that's the sequence.

Between this and whatever happened to my Elo (losing probably 4 out of 5 games now), I'm about done with this venture.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users