#41 Destructicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

View PostHellcat420, on 04 September 2014 - 06:35 PM, said:

no they are not the same person as far as i know unless the guy has 2 forum profiles. .

dude...it seriously is the same guy
Niko changed his forum name when he moved to Canada to work closer with PGI

Edited by Destructicus, 04 September 2014 - 06:39 PM.

#42 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:41 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 04 September 2014 - 05:31 PM, said:

Instead of spouting B.S themselves and making assumptions---Thank you.

I've read your other threads. You should take your own advice.

#43 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:42 PM

View PostDestructicus, on 04 September 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:

dude...it seriously is the same guy
Niko changed his forum name when he moved to Canada to work closer with PGI

ok, but since i dont use twitter or any of that stupid crap the only info i get is from these forums, and i dont remember seeing anything about that(not that i would care to begin with tbh).

#44 Destructicus

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:45 PM

View PostHellcat420, on 04 September 2014 - 06:42 PM, said:

ok, but since i dont use twitter or any of that stupid crap the only info i get is from these forums, and i dont remember seeing anything about that(not that i would care to begin with tbh).

he actually posted an "I'M BACK" thread when it happened a couple months ago on these very forums

#45 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:50 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 04 September 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

I've read your other threads. You should take your own advice.

noted. I should have been more clear, the B.S regard was aimed at those who think that 250k is just a made up number.

View PostArchMage Sparrowhawk, on 04 September 2014 - 05:25 PM, said:

Somehow I cannot believe this.

no, not only can I not believe this, it actually makes me mad.
*deep breaths*

More leaned towards post like this, or the people who think PGI is making up the numbers when map deving in fact can be a costly endeavor in a game.

hellcat, I was not aiming it towards you even though I quoted you.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 04 September 2014 - 07:12 PM.

#46 Dirgez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:26 PM

I understand the frustration many convey on this topic but the expectations assumed by many is unreasonable. Yes map making is usually regarded as a more easier task but in reality it is a much more complex task, whether recycling assets or creating new ones. There is conceptualization, design, QA, and testing which all can, and most do, loop in and out of each other multiple times (reiterations) until it is deemed ready for primetime. All this takes much more time and resources than a lot people believe (because most are ignorant of the processes involved. )

This is not like slapping a new sticker on a box and selling it.

#47 Syncline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 205 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:34 PM

PGI should consider doing what they did in previous MW games (I can't remember which - drugs are bad, mmkay?) and make a few batches of huge maps, then partition them off to make multiple smaller maps out of them. This gives us more maps, and it's easier for PGI to make them.

#48 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:10 PM

View PostSyncline, on 04 September 2014 - 09:34 PM, said:

PGI should consider doing what they did in previous MW games (I can't remember which - drugs are bad, mmkay?) and make a few batches of huge maps, then partition them off to make multiple smaller maps out of them. This gives us more maps, and it's easier for PGI to make them.

Problem is that most of the maps in the earlier games had dramatically less detail than MWO maps which would previous this.. I spent a good thirty seconds looking at the statues at the hotel in Crimson last night, amazed that I had missed their existent previously.

#49 kuangmk11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 627 posts
  • LocationW-SEA, Cascadia

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:19 PM

Cryengine doesn't handle MW4 size maps at a decent framerate, 4kx4k max... also it only does powers of 2 (512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048 etc) so the next jump up is 8192x8192 meters. They would have to physically split up the map, not just the play area.

#50 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:28 PM

I suppose I'm completely different from everybody else that plays this game, but I want more maps to play on because of gameplay - I don't really care how detailed and beautiful they look. Even if you have to resort to MW2-level quality* to pump out a couple dozen maps for Community Warfare, that's still new unique terrain to fight on. While the Factory map and probably the new jungle map as well are beautiful, I don't think every map needs to be that incredibly detailed. And I for one am all for reusing assets. Esp. with lighting changes and other ambient conditions. (I mean, there's a fair bit of reused assets on the Factory, but you can hardly tell they're old since it's all green, and green is something new.)

In fact, I had the idea the other day that they should enlarge River City to twice or more it's current size - expand it towards the 6-line and add another city section that's mostly hilly terrain or add some terrain out on the F-line to make the water a more worthwhile place to visit.

* I might be exaggerating just a little... =P

#51 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:47 PM

View PostSandpit, on 04 September 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

each map takes 4-6 weeks and $250,000 minimum. Don't look for that to change

.......but....
why does people believe this?

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 04 September 2014 - 10:47 PM.

#52 kuangmk11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 627 posts
  • LocationW-SEA, Cascadia

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:53 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 04 September 2014 - 10:47 PM, said:

.......but....
why does people believe this?

PGI never lies

#53 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:59 PM

New maps would be most welcome.
There is also room for less costly expansions on current maps...
other parts of caustic valley, river city or canyon...
or maybe a small mining area expansion on forest colony...

#54 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:01 PM

View Postkuangmk11, on 04 September 2014 - 10:53 PM, said:

PGI never lies

...and this makes my day!

tnk kuangmk11 :)

#55 xhrit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 976 posts
  • LocationClan Occupation Zone

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:10 PM

1) pay crytech 250k to liscence the editor tech for distribution (i'm sure they could use the money.)
2) let premium users host matches on custom maps.
3) profit

#56 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:11 PM

More maps are coming and I have no doubt CW will be a major motivator for creating more...but here is the thing to understand, maps is a multi-discipline/multi-team project that more or less puts just about any other project under works on hold for sone period of time.

Working on maps means other things come to a grinding halt or when your team has little to nothing else to work, this doesn't just include art/model based projects. Likely the only things that aren't affected by maps is balancing and network...maybe some bug work.

If you want lots of maps in a short period, then you all but put new mech, new cockpit, new paints, new interfaces, new variable mech models, etc, etc on hold.

#57 Catalinasgrace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 256 posts
  • LocationHudson, TX

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:47 PM

Wow did this go crossed eyed fast...

I was simply stating that I hoped once CW is completed that they shift resources to map making. This game really needs it to say the least.

As far as cost goes, I couldn't really care less what it costs them... They are not the customer, we are... They are the people that went into business and made the game not me. I have 78 mech bays, I always have premium time, and I buy camos/colors, I bought both the complete phoenix pack and masakari pack. So what they do with said funds from us is not my concern. People will continue to buy items in game. I would be quite willing to wager that if the game had a lot more maps there would be more people playing and spending more time in game. That itself would lead to more profit. I would also be willing to bet that they could pull a couple of people to keep making camos, cockpit items, warhorns, and various other things they could sell for MC that wouldn't take many resources to get done.

Aside from that, I have no idea what it takes to make a map in the cryengine. I was just requesting that PGI shift their resources to map making once these other things are wrapping up...

#58 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:53 PM

Stop it!

I get pretty sick if people asking for more mechs, maps or modes.

We still have broken game! Balance, basic features, UI, netcode, broken assets on excisting maps and the list go on.

STOP asking for things while the base game is still broken and waiting for a fix!

#59 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:54 PM

View PostSarlic, on 04 September 2014 - 11:53 PM, said:

Stop it!

I get pretty sick if people asking for more mechs, maps or modes.

We still have broken game! Balance, basic features, UI, netcode, broken assets on excisting maps and the list go on.

STOP asking for things while the base game is still broken and waiting for a fix!

apparently not everyone see's the same picture as you. So while you wait for fix, others wait for their mechs, some for maps, and modes.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 04 September 2014 - 11:55 PM.

#60 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:55 PM

View PostSandpit, on 04 September 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

each map takes 4-6 weeks and $250,000 minimum.

Which is stupid. The game is stale because there aren't enough maps.

I read their process. It's ridiculously complex and iterative.

They should rush a bunch of new quick and dirty maps out the door quickly, re-using existing assets in new configurations.

They can retire the quick and dirty maps when they eventually release the next ponderously slow $250K maps (which, despite the elongated development process, will still be strangely released with plenty of bugs).

Edited by Appogee, 04 September 2014 - 11:56 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users