87 replies to this topic

#41 Ozric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationSunny Southsea

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:37 AM

As much as this weekends challenge means nothing to me as I will not be joining the group queue, I understand that a group-only challenge is important to collect metrics. They need as many people as possible in the group queue so the incentive is acceptable. I wonder what the state of the solo queue will be? ;)

#42 A banana in the tailpipe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:38 AM

View PostOzric, on 05 September 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

As much as this weekends challenge means nothing to me as I will not be joining the group queue, I understand that a group-only challenge is important to collect metrics. They need as many people as possible in the group queue so the incentive is acceptable. I wonder what the state of the solo queue will be? ;)

A state of bliss.

#43 Onmyoudo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 955 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:49 AM

View Postlpmagic, on 05 September 2014 - 07:32 AM, said:

So, according tto this, there should just not be any challenges???? I'm confused.....I don't need warm milk in my mech so I can take my freaking nap, this is a battle game, if you don't want to fight then those people need to head over and play hello kitty....your statement makes it sound as if there should be NO challenges at all, because we should never be bound by any rules, ever...No offense intended, but that sentiment is laughable.

What? My post said that whatever challenge they did should be available to both queues, without restricting play from one or the other arbritrarily. For the 20 kills challenge, for example, there was absolutely nothing stopping that being achieved in the group queue other than PGI's say so.

#44 lpmagic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 319 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:18 AM

View PostOnmyoudo, on 05 September 2014 - 07:49 AM, said:

What? My post said that whatever challenge they did should be available to both queues, without restricting play from one or the other arbritrarily. For the 20 kills challenge, for example, there was absolutely nothing stopping that being achieved in the group queue other than PGI's say so.

There is a huge difference between the two queues so its not really ok to do them both, it would have to be two separate challenges, you can't leave it completely open to "both" they are two different things entirely, I think we should be happy they are doing anything at all, not complaining that everything they do, do, is crap. They will never make "everybody" happy at the same time, not everyone wants the same things......

#45 Alex Warden

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:21 AM

View PostTenacious B, on 05 September 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

If this is indeed a group only challenge.. Before all you solo only people freak out..
Jump on the Comstar TS3 server -
na1.mech-connect.net

Go down to the "Looking for group" channels, group up and get after them c-bills!

quoting this so it doesn´t get lost ^^ hey, community management, you should make a sticky with a comprehensive list of "public" teamspeaks :)

#46 RetroActive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:59 AM

View PostMott, on 05 September 2014 - 05:03 AM, said:

Oh. My. God.

These kinds of sentiments are really making me want to puke.

This is life. A HUGE PART OF LIFE is not being able to do some things you want to, being forced to do some things you don't want to and sometimes missing out on something that was designed and targeted for someone else besides you.

It is not the end of the ******* Inner Sphere if PGI holds one event or another, periodically, that isn't tailored to be a steaming pile of wimpy dung, just in the interests of being open to every clown who ever DL'd the game.

We can have variety, we can have uniqueness... these things are good. They don't harm anyone.

I can't think of anything less worthy of my time than me potentially complaining in 4 weeks when PGI announces a challenge that benefits ONLY non-unit solo players.

For the love of god... the "I want everything everyone else has/gets/wins/earns/wants" sense of entitlement across MWO's playerbase puts the whining of my 14 month old and 4 yr old kids to shame.

I think i'll give them both a cookie and a hug when i get home from work tonight and thank them profusely for not being little punks.

I'd like to give YOU a hug.

#47 RetroActive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:58 AM

LANCE CHALLENGE

Greetings MechWarriors,

We are pleased to invite you all to try out our first ever Lance Challenge.

You can track your progress in the Challenges page here:https://mwomercs.com...type=challenges.
You are automatically entered into any challenge, no opt-in required.

There are three tiers to this challenge, each with their own reward unlocked upon completion. Points are assigned based on Kills, Assists, TAG, NARC and Spotting. If your team successfully wins the match, 4 additional points will be added your total. In order for points to be awarded, you MUST be in a group of 4 players: No more, no less. You may, however, mix and match your lancemates across the weekend, as well as play in any game modes.

Please see the notes below for more specific details on the Challenge. See you on the battlefield!

Event Type: Challenge.
Event Begins: Friday, September 5th, 2014 at 10AM PDT / 1PM EDT / 5PM UTC.
Event Ends: Tuesday, September 9th, 2014 at 10AM PDT / 1PM EDT / 5PM UTC.

Prizes:
Tier 1 (200 Points): 3-days of Premium Time.
Tier 2 (550 Points): 1 Free Mechbay.
Tier 3 (950 Points): 6 million C-Bills.

Scoring:
Points are only awarded while playing in a Group of 4.
Kill: 1 Point.
Assist: 2 Points.
Spot Bonus: 2 Points.
TAG Assist: 2 Points.
NARC Assist: 2 Points.
Victory: 4 Points.

#48 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:02 AM

I'm really happy with this one; they're actually giving people incentive to 1) play in groups and 2) actually do useful things in those groups.

Kinda unfortunate that it apparently only applies to four person teams though. Surely it could be applied to anybody who drops in the group queue.

#49 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:07 AM

I take it challenge score points != match score, am I right?

#50 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:11 AM

View Postkapusta11, on 05 September 2014 - 10:07 AM, said:

I take it challenge score points != match score, am I right?

Scoring:

View PostAssaultPig, on 05 September 2014 - 10:02 AM, said:

Kinda unfortunate that it apparently only applies to four person teams though. Surely it could be applied to anybody who drops in the group queue.

It keeps the big 12-man units from constantly steamrolling groups comprised of a bunch of smaller groups. This way everyone is on the same playing field more or less.

#51 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:11 AM

950, oh my. now to find a grp of 4
and equipping a tag xD

#52 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:12 AM

View PostLauLiao, on 05 September 2014 - 10:11 AM, said:

Scoring:

That's a lot of grind, especially for a groups.

Edited by kapusta11, 05 September 2014 - 10:12 AM.

#53 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:13 AM

I guess

that seems like a fairly insignificant problem though. I'd rather run into a 12 man here and there and not have to 'sit' extra folks when our clan forms a group to do the challenge.

#54 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:14 AM

View PostLotharian, on 04 September 2014 - 05:55 PM, said:

It is strange that this game makes it difficult to join a group. Its a complicated process that involves getting together outside the game by means of third party communication software, using a overly complicated join group function in the game, then getting set up with no chance to see other players builds, I seem to always have to ask everyone what they are going to bring so I can get the best fit for the group, so many e-duh features missing from a game based on teamwork its amazing.

I have been in a couple guilds / clans. Good players and people but the process takes something away from the game. I most often solo drop just to get a couple games in (don't always have the time to put into the game that I want) rather than spend 10-15 extra min to get everything else in line.

Simply streamlining the process with common sense features would go a long way keeping players interested and help hook new players.

I've been playing for about 10 days now and had no idea you could even form groups. So it has to be done through outside software? Strange.

#55 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

you can form groups ingame, but only by inviting people to be your ingame friend and then inviting them to a group. There are no real ingame tools to connect you with friends or a clan though, aside from the extremely limited in-match chat.

#56 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:22 AM

View PostRetroActive, on 05 September 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

I'd like to give YOU a hug.

AND a cookie?

jk... that challenge breakdown is reward enough!

#57 Onmyoudo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 955 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:25 AM

View Postlpmagic, on 05 September 2014 - 08:18 AM, said:

There is a huge difference between the two queues so its not really ok to do them both, it would have to be two separate challenges, you can't leave it completely open to "both" they are two different things entirely, I think we should be happy they are doing anything at all, not complaining that everything they do, do, is crap. They will never make "everybody" happy at the same time, not everyone wants the same things......

This is incorrect. Both Steiner and Marik challenges applied to both solo and group queues. This challenge works on the same type of points system as the Marik challenge, so there was no reason it couldn't have applied to solo queues also. That said, I'm glad to see that the scoring system has changed to reward something other than kills. That's a step forward.

Also at no point in this thread have I "complained that everything they do is crap". There's nothing wrong with this challenge, I've only said that there's no reason it couldn't also have applied to the solo queue and that excluding large parts of the playerbase, be it either queue, is counterproductive.

#58 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:28 AM

View Postkapusta11, on 05 September 2014 - 10:12 AM, said:

That's a lot of grind, especially for a groups.

Well that depends on if your fellow lance mates scores are added to yours at the end of a match. Lets say I got 2 kills, 7 assists, 6 spotting assists, and a win. That would mean as an individual I scored 32 points in one game, and if I average 20 points a game you are looking at roughly 47 games to get tier 3. If my lance mates scores are also added to my score(which seems unlikely thinking about it) it would be even less. Even if it takes 50 games it should still be half the time it took to do the last challenge.

View PostKain Thul, on 05 September 2014 - 10:14 AM, said:

I've been playing for about 10 days now and had no idea you could even form groups. So it has to be done through outside software? Strange.

Legendary Founder and only have been playing for about 10 days now? :huh:

#59 CG Chicken Kn

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationSt. Catharines, Ontario

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:30 AM

Or at least be applicable to 2-3-4 person groups. Having whoever is in your lance constitute the extra people to make four, or whatever.

Ever since we have been shoveled in to the group queue with our two or three man lances, we have played a LOT less.
Like apart from the last free mech bay challenge, not at all. For months now.

#60 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:34 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 05 September 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

Well that depends on if your fellow lance mates scores are added to yours at the end of a match. Lets say I got 2 kills, 7 assists, 6 spotting assists, and a win. That would mean as an individual I scored 32 points in one game, and if I average 20 points a game you are looking at roughly 47 games to get tier 3. If my lance mates scores are also added to my score(which seems unlikely thinking about it) it would be even less. Even if it takes 50 games it should still be half the time it took to do the last challenge.
In response to myself I have to wonder though what the point is of having a requirement of a four person group if their scores are not added together. It seems like if the score is only on your individual performance in the group the "grind" would be on par with some of their other challenges, but if that is the case it seems pointless to arbitrarily require four people. :blink:

Edited by WarHippy, 05 September 2014 - 10:37 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users