#61 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:42 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 05 September 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

In response to myself I have to wonder though what the point is of having a requirement of a four person group if their scores are not added together. It seems like if the score is only on your individual performance in the group the "grind" would be on par with some of their other challenges, but if that is the case it seems pointless to arbitrarily require four people. :blink:

A solo challenge masked in a forced-group enviornment.

Just brilliant!

#62 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:52 AM

The only way to make the most of the scoring is hoping a teammate is willing to take out an LRM boat, and you riding a Light to spot for them... either through TAG (safer) or NARC (riskier, but much more annoying).

So, enjoy!

#63 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:02 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 05 September 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

Legendary Founder and only have been playing for about 10 days now? :huh:

I contributed when that was the only way to get into the beta. I'm a huge MW fan and had no issue coughing up the cash to help develop the game, I was just glad it wasn't 100% canned after Microsoft quit on it. As much as I still love and play MW4: Mercenaries it is time for the next game in the franchise. I guess that was 2 years ago or so that I did that? I can't remember exactly.

Anyway, closed beta was less than I hoped and I didn't really like the mechs/loadouts that were available at the time and figured I would just come back when the game launched fully. When that finally happened I still didn't really like what was available or the state of the game so I figured I'd hold out until the clans came in (I love clans, hate IS).

After a long time it finally fell of my radar and when I remembered to check a few weeks ago I saw that the clans had been introduced in June so I bought the highest tier clan package and jumped into the game.

Edited by Kain Thul, 05 September 2014 - 11:03 AM.

#64 Viges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:21 AM

Use 3d party products (ts, mumble etc) to form groups because we cant make our own ingame and join the challenge! *facepalm*

CW will be epic I guarantee it.

#65 Curley GumboKiller Bradley

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCold State

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:58 AM

So I want to make sure I understand this challenge.
As a solo player I need to find 3 other people to join the game as a lance.

Since I really do not play the game with others I need to find a place to get included into this "Quest".

And as far as I know there is no easy way to do this. So any points I make (so far 44 pts in 2 games) do not count until I get into a lance. And I have no easy way to get into a lance.

Options?

Add to the fact that people will be dropping in and out of your lance all the time reduces the actual amount of valid gameplay even more.

#66 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:58 AM

What's with all these rumors that you can't create your own groups in game without 3rd party tools to help?

...just add someone to your friend list, create a group and then invite them. Done.

#67 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

View PostCurley GumboKiller Bradley, on 05 September 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

Since I really do not play the game with others I need to find a place to get included into this "Quest".

And as far as I know there is no easy way to do this. So any points I make (so far 44 pts in 2 games) do not count until I get into a lance. And I have no easy way to get into a lance.

Options?

Reach out and make new friends! It's fun.

Or

Continue playing the way you have been and are comfortable with... and simply don't get some free rewards. Not the end of the world, really.

I got the 10 wins on the last challenge... didn't come close to completing the 3rd tier because playing with idiots in PUG Q just isn't entertaining to me. I didn't once cry that i couldn't get the rewards because of my game-play preference though.

#68 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:06 PM

Really guys? Seems like a pretty interesting and potentially enjoyable challenge from my perspective.

It's going to be a little Lurm heavy, due to the TAG and NARC bonuses, but oh well, at least people will be collaborating more than usual.

#69 Asaru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 231 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:12 PM

I have to agree with WarHippy while I'm really glad to see a challenge that can be done while grouped it is still a individual challenge because the scoring system doesn't take into account the three lance mates score. It would be really great to have it matter how well my other teammates did in each match.

Edited by Asaru, 05 September 2014 - 12:15 PM.

#70 Curley GumboKiller Bradley

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCold State

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:16 PM

So far no real takers by people in the game to join a lance. Might as well play something else this weekend if this keeps up.

#71 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:20 PM

View PostAsaru, on 05 September 2014 - 12:12 PM, said:

I have to agree with WarHippy while I'm really glad to see a challenge that can be done while grouped it is still a individual challenge because the scoring system doesn't take into account the three lance mates score. It would be really great to have it matter how well my other teammates did in each match.

Mind you I was speculating as to how this works as I have not seen anything about how the group interaction works with regard to score, and for all I know it does add up everyone in your lances score. That being said if it does add everyone up this seems like a rather easy challenge, but if it tracks everyone individually then like I said requiring a group at all let alone specifically four seems rather pointless.

#72 Son of the Flood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 397 posts
  • LocationTier 3 basement - searching for funyuns and mountain dew

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:21 PM

View PostTenacious B, on 05 September 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

If this is indeed a group only challenge.. Before all you solo only people freak out..
Jump on the Comstar TS3 server -
na1.mech-connect.net

Go down to the "Looking for group" channels, group up and get after them c-bills!

I concur with Tenacious B and would add to this that the password to the comstar teamspeak server is "wordofblake"

I haven't dropped on that server in some time, but have met some good folks on there. It's a great place to group up so I may be on there tonight. Hope to shoot some mechs with you guys this weekend!

#73 Ihasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 843 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:28 PM

View PostSon of the Flood, on 05 September 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:

I concur with Tenacious B and would add to this that the password to the comstar teamspeak server is "wordofblake"

I haven't dropped on that server in some time, but have met some good folks on there. It's a great place to group up so I may be on there tonight. Hope to shoot some mechs with you guys this weekend!

There isn't a password on the Comstar NA server.

#74 Son of the Flood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 397 posts
  • LocationTier 3 basement - searching for funyuns and mountain dew

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:50 PM

View PostIhasa, on 05 September 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:

There isn't a password on the Comstar NA server.

Thanks Ihasa, my bad on this. Been a while since I dropped on there, but that used to be the case I believe.

http://mwomercs.com/...then-look-here/

#75 MonkeyDCecil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 426 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:06 PM

This is the most bullshit of the Challenges so far. You have to play in groups of 4 period, in order to participant. SO pugers like me just do not ever get anything. This is bullshit.

#76 Ihasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 843 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:23 PM

View PostMonkeyDCecil, on 05 September 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

This is the most bullshit of the Challenges so far. You have to play in groups of 4 period, in order to participant. SO pugers like me just do not ever get anything. This is bullshit.

I never played this game solo; I never will. In fact I'd rather have my teeth pulled than play solo. Every other challenge, except the Beta Series tournament has been solo only oriented. So groupers like me never get to participate and never get the rewards. That's such bullshit, every single time. So buck up MarySue, there's more coming where you will get yours and I won't be getting mine, again.

#77 Kelbor

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:49 PM

View PostIhasa, on 05 September 2014 - 01:23 PM, said:

I never played this game solo; I never will. In fact I'd rather have my teeth pulled than play solo. Every other challenge, except the Beta Series tournament has been solo only oriented. So groupers like me never get to participate and never get the rewards. That's such bullshit, every single time. So buck up MarySue, there's more coming where you will get yours and I won't be getting mine, again.

Wow Ihasa. You should consider yourself really lucky to have so many friendly people to enjoy this game with. I tried to group up during beta and all I found is a bunch of diehards who try to achieve the perfect game in every match. It's so much easier ignoring all the text chat that listening to teammates on TS criticizing every flaw in your performance. You can keep your group play and I'll stick to solo and have fun. I'm out for this challenge.

#78 Ihasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 843 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:04 PM

I joined this game as a group. Me and two RL buddies, plus a couple defectors from STO. Since day 1 sometime at the start of closed beta, grouped up and never looked back, never played solo since. When the group wasn't on or started to dwindle there was the LFG PUG groups on Comstar NA teamspeak for about 4-6 months. From there into a clan that had a hard time pulling 4 mans together for another 4 months, and from there into a well populated Merc unit with quality people. I'll be there a year one week from now. Yes I'm kind of lucky. Lucky that I'm not as big an introvert as I think I am, lucky to get along well with others, lucky to avoid people I didn't get along well enough easily, lucky I found 2 guilds of great people without drama. But I've made some of that luck too, because I made the effort to go get a group when I was guild-less, and met lots of people doing so. I'm a better player, and a better person for it too.

#79 Mazikar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:34 PM

I think this will be much better than the solo challenge, that showed why games with a match making system fail. This will however make people really see how bad the grouping function in the game is and how much you really do have to rely on third party software to get anywhere. It's not that big of a deal but I find it remarkable that almost no work has been done to streamline a group process, in fact it gets more complicated every time they do anything with it at all.

If however they do make grouping easy this game could really get some momentum with challenges that are this rewarding, as long as they keep it up, I mean I have 70 mechs and I have custom paint on all my favorites, giving me more mech bays and cash to buy one that I might not have could in the end earn more money from me... right? As it stands though I think these challenges are pointing out glaring flaws, flaws that tend to frustrate. We shall see soon enough.

Edited by Lotharian, 05 September 2014 - 04:35 PM.

#80 Jebadias

Rookie

• Guardian
  • 9 posts
  • LocationDownriver Detroit, MI

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:15 PM

View PostAlex Warden, on 04 September 2014 - 06:20 PM, said:

oh well.. but still there have been way more challenges for solo players, while people like me, who HATE playing alone were forced to do so if they wanted to participate...

now PGI finally tries to "encourage" people to find groups and push the teamwork character of the game a bit... i think it´s just fair if not a good move...

and who knows, some may find that it´s well worth the effort...

I agree... I HATE Pugging. Problem with this challenge isn't that you have to group up, it's that you have to group up in multiples of four. What are the odds that my unit's TS server is going to have eight or 12 people in it? Apparently not that good or I would be dropping right now instead of wasting my time in a forum.

View PostLightfoot, on 04 September 2014 - 06:44 PM, said:

They need at least a basic player chat lobby before they can do this. You know, I type in, "looking for team/lance". Or some type of List where I say the same thing with a series of check boxes.

You mean like an in game lobby? What a great idea. I bet nobody has ever done that in a game before. Maybe they will put that in before we get out of beta... oh that's right, they claim they are already out of beta, my bad.

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 04 September 2014 - 10:36 PM, said:

Well, if it is in this way it works I won't play at all.
I don't want to play just to let a lance win/lose the prize...
Me, a target... no way.

That's understandable. too bad you feel that way but I certainly can not blame you. I suppose the fact that I am on here instead of ingame means I feel the same way.

View PostCurley GumboKiller Bradley, on 05 September 2014 - 11:58 AM, said:

Options?

Add to the fact that people will be dropping in and out of your lance all the time reduces the actual amount of valid gameplay even more.

Yep, pretty much. Supposedly there are community servers out there, but the few that I have found always seem to be dead. I suppose if I was a forum commando I would know all of the good ones but in my reality I only get a limited amount of free time to relax and enjoy myself. I would rather drop in MWO, another game or some other sort of entertainment than waste my time on some forum, so I guess I am just out of luck like many other players unless I get lucky enough to see my unit's TS server drop or add a few people before I log off.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users