Better Gauss Rifle Fix

5 replies to this topic

#1 Joshua Rael

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:12 PM

I haven't seen anyone suggest this method so I'm putting it in. As someone who has played Mechwarrior since MW1 and even dabbled in the tabletop, the Gauss has been one of the most feared weapons in every game. The recent changes requiring it to be manually charged like the Bombast laser seems to have generated a lot of negative reactions.
The fix I propose seems simple, though I don't know how hard it would be to program in. In some of the lore there was a reason given that it was rare for a mech to mount 2 Gauss Rifles, and more than 2 was even rarer. This stemmed from the power demands required to regain the charge needed to operate the magnets. Recharging two simultaneously could cause a dangerous under-voltage in another critical system or systems. As such power had to be cycled to each in turn. This reduced the firing rate if they were not employed correctly.
To clarify: if you have 2 Gauss Rifles with a recycle time of lets say 4.75 sec(4 sec recycle, .75 sec charge currently) and fire both at the same time, you will now have to wait a full 9.5 sec before both are recharged and ready to fire. You would still be able to fire 1 every 4.75 sec.
Adding this feature to the game instead of the charge feature, I feel would be a better approach. It would limit its ability to be spammed, while still maintaining its usefulness in both long and short range engagements, and make it much more useful against moving targets.

Edited by Joshua Rael, 04 September 2014 - 08:13 PM.

#2 Calamus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 383 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:46 AM

I like this idea.

Support.

#3 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:29 PM

Epic idea. It has my support.

#4 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:45 PM

View PostJoshua Rael, on 04 September 2014 - 08:12 PM, said:

I haven't seen anyone suggest this method so I'm putting it in. As someone who has played Mechwarrior since MW1 and even dabbled in the tabletop, the Gauss has been one of the most feared weapons in every game. The recent changes requiring it to be manually charged like the Bombast laser seems to have generated a lot of negative reactions.
The fix I propose seems simple, though I don't know how hard it would be to program in. In some of the lore there was a reason given that it was rare for a mech to mount 2 Gauss Rifles, and more than 2 was even rarer. This stemmed from the power demands required to regain the charge needed to operate the magnets. Recharging two simultaneously could cause a dangerous under-voltage in another critical system or systems. As such power had to be cycled to each in turn. This reduced the firing rate if they were not employed correctly.
To clarify: if you have 2 Gauss Rifles with a recycle time of lets say 4.75 sec(4 sec recycle, .75 sec charge currently) and fire both at the same time, you will now have to wait a full 9.5 sec before both are recharged and ready to fire. You would still be able to fire 1 every 4.75 sec.
Adding this feature to the game instead of the charge feature, I feel would be a better approach. It would limit its ability to be spammed, while still maintaining its usefulness in both long and short range engagements, and make it much more useful against moving targets.

You get used to charging it after a while.

But yeah, they still need to fix alot of things lol, the list is so long its absurd. Let's not forget the broken PPCs.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:24 PM

View PostJoshua Rael, on 04 September 2014 - 08:12 PM, said:

Ironically, PGI already had this idea, tied it in with PPCs... Said they finished it but wanted to ask our opinions before turning it on. (....since when do they do this? I think they just wanted to find out before they tried it how bad the reaction would be).
And the players said it was too complicated.
<.<; Personally I was in favor of the idea on Gauss Rifles, and 30 threshold would pretty much fix the PPCs on its own.

Edited by Koniving, 05 September 2014 - 06:26 PM.

#6 Fire and Salt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:13 AM

I think the currant gauss charge is awesome. This has nothing to do with balance... It just makes the weapon fun to use. It's like a super awesome slingshot of doom.

I would be very sad to lose the charge mechanic from the game because it makes the weapon so fun.

I do often wonder if it would have been more appropriate on the PPC, however...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users