Balance Weapons

99 replies to this topic

#61 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:46 PM

For myself, I tend to agree that the C-ER LL need to still have its beam duration reduced, probably to around 1.3 seconds. Range nerf was fine and I am glad they didn't further increase its heat.

For the C-ER ML I am more than a bit upset at the massive change in heat. The Range nerf is fine and like the OP said the difference between 1.25 and 1.3 isn't even noticeable so just revert it back to 1.3. Heat however, effects a hell of alot more than just that one weapon, it has a cascade effect across the entire mech and every weapon system mounted on it. Adding that much heat, on perhaps the most widely used weapon will totally break builds, especially those that were borderline hot to begin with and that is annoying a hell. Many people will be sent completely back to the drawing board with their builds by this change and some people are going to find that their favorite mechs will be now be total crap. This is not what a dev should be shooting for.

What they should have done instead if they really felt the C-ER ML was a bit too powerful, was what should be obvious to anyone and that is bring the damage down from 7 to 6 and leave heat where it was. I mean lets face facts on something. The C-ER ML really ends up competing against the IS LL both before and after the nerf. Lets look at how it is after the nerf.

C-ER ML - 6 heat, 7 damage, 400m range. 1.25 burn time.
IS LL - 8 heat, 9 damage, 450m range. 1.0 burn time.

However the C-ER ML is only 1 ton vs the IS LL weighing 5 tons so it is hands down still a superior weapon for the Clans in general. The ironic thing is this is the imbalance is what was wrong with the C-ER ML in the first place and they came up with a fix that doesn't even address it. Anyway, the thing is a ML should be competing against a ML. Instead of heat, this is what it should be looking like.

C-ER ML - 5 heat, 6 damage, 400m range. 1.3 burn time.
IS ML -4 heat, 5 damage, 270m range. 1.0 burn time.

So now instead of the C-ER ML being a direct competitor against the IS LL, it actually falls almost directly into balance with what it should be competing with, the IS ML which is ironically another 1 ton weapon.

As far as the Clan Pulse lasers, what the hell PGI thinking. The universal opinion of everyone, even those who stand on the side of "Nerf Clans, Nerf them again, Then Nerf them harder" crowd felt that Clan pulse lasers were generally inferior and needed some buffs yet somehow PGI decided they needed a nerf?? I mean how far out of tune with its players can a developer get!?!?!?.

So yeah, yet again we see PGI at its finest.

#62 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:57 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 05 September 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

Then Nerf them harder" crowd felt that Clan pulse lasers were generally inferior and needed some buffs yet somehow PGI decided they needed a nerf?? I mean how far out of tune with its players can a developer get!?!?!?.

So yeah, yet again we see PGI at its finest.

yea, because everyone just clamored for small lasers to get nerfs because they were so OP. I mean they're so commonly used they needed something to make them less useful
smh

PGI strikes again ;)

#63 Tzukasa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:58 PM

All the other things like the ranges needed to be done, but the base heat changes are too far and should be rolled back. Also All of the small laser changes should be rolled back, seriously wtf lols.

Edited by Tzukasa, 05 September 2014 - 05:01 PM.

#64 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:08 PM

View PostTzukasa, on 05 September 2014 - 04:58 PM, said:

All the other things like the ranges needed to be done, but the base heat changes are too far and should be rolled back. Also All of the small laser changes should be rolled back, seriously wtf lols.

yeah, it's hard enough to close the gap, I mean, had they actually went into the games and did studies, they would have noticed people boating medium lasers and large pulse, but small and medium pulse nah

#65 -Vompo-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:17 PM

I work my ass of to get cersl weapon module to level five (got it yesterday) and now this... Great. Time to start rearming my Novas with guns that fire further than I can throw a stone.

#66 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:17 PM

The small laser nerfs are perplexing beyond belief.

#67 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:20 PM

View PostVompoVompatti, on 05 September 2014 - 05:17 PM, said:

I work my ass of to get cersl weapon module to level five (got it yesterday) and now this... Great. Time to start rearming my Novas with guns that fire further than I can throw a stone.

At least Clan small lasers have 50% more range.

Real stone throwers are IS small lasers.

Edited by El Bandito, 05 September 2014 - 05:21 PM.

#68 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:25 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 05 September 2014 - 05:20 PM, said:

At least Clan small lasers have 50% more range.

Real stone throwers are IS small lasers.

100 vs 150 is more than I thought it was...not 120 VS 150. Both have excessive heat, though.

At least the cSPL has a bit more range. But yet again, extra heat!

Heat is the real limiter on weapons, between ghost heat and just jacked up regular heat it limits more than anything else in the game.

Yet...the ERLLs are down 4 points of heat, while ALL the small and meds are between 120% and 200% heat.

PGI confuses me.

Edited by Mcgral18, 05 September 2014 - 05:26 PM.

#69 Carrie Harder

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationCarrying pugs up Mount Tryhard

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:34 PM

I'm not even going to talk about the Clan weapon changes right now, but the IS ERLL? What the ****? Who ever said it was overpowered? It was certainly a very effective and viable weapon, but overpowered? Hell no.

#70 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:36 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 05 September 2014 - 05:25 PM, said:

PGI confuses me.

I'm sure most people feel the same way.

#71 Screech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:48 PM

Well they won. I will no longer use clan small lasers. Hoorah for the good guys?

#72 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:40 PM

View PostGreen Mamba, on 05 September 2014 - 03:15 PM, said:

Sorry but I very rarely drive a raven I am talking about my spider..Like I said Both Sides ,So no
its Not the Same ..not even close

Are you really worried about Side torsos on a spider of all things?

The spider has some of the best hitboxes in the entire game, do you even know the scale of a Kit Fox vs. a Spider?

http://mwomercs.com/...essions-review/

Posted Image

Sorry, but your Spider has it easy compared to the Kit Fox and the Adder.

Smaller, harder to hit & up to like 50% faster. 50%!!!!

Clan XL means two things for Clan Lights: Jack & Squat.

Again, people leg lights.

#73 mongo2006

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis Mo. USA

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:02 PM

I wish I knew how to say YOU STUPID ******* IDIOTS in some other language so that they wouldn't know what it meant

#74 Tzukasa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:58 PM

After playing many matches with builds using the weapons most effected by the changes, I find that the range nurf is right on the nose. It feels much closer to how it should be range wise (aside from the small lasers which are stupid now and needs to be set back).

However the heat changes, mainly on the c-med lasers/med pulses but also the c-lrg pulse, makes them too inefficient. It will only lead to More lrm boats (like we need more of that...) but also push people back to using cannon boats. Before the changes, playing as IS vs Clan, I never felt their Op'ness was up close. It was their range that raked me to death from way too far away. Once the distance was closed my IS builds held up fine so long as I wasn't overly damaged while outside my range.

So please PGI, change the base heat on the c-med/c-med pulse/c-lrg pulse back to where it was while leaving the other nurfs and shorter range in, or at least step it down by .5 if not the full 1.0 less heat that it was. As it stands now they simply generate too much heat for there to be a balanced meta.

Edited by Tzukasa, 05 September 2014 - 08:03 PM.

#75 Macster16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 576 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:15 PM

Was starting to make efficient use of my 6 x mLas Nova build, but now after this nerf it's just too hot to run now despite loading it up with heatsinks. Have to spend 3/4ths of the time waiting behind cover to cool, can't brawl, can't poke regularly, it's painful and it's only 6 so I'm not even triggering Casper the Ghost.

Oh well, back to using IS I reckon. Atleast they didn't nerf the IS Lpulse which I've started to make some good use out of.

#76 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:17 PM

View PostMacster16, on 05 September 2014 - 08:15 PM, said:

Was starting to make efficient use of my 6 x mLas Nova build, but now after this nerf it's just too hot to run now despite loading it up with heatsinks. Have to spend 3/4ths of the time waiting behind cover to cool, can't brawl, can't poke regularly, it's painful and it's only 6 so I'm not even triggering Casper the Ghost.

Oh well, back to using IS I reckon. Atleast they didn't nerf the IS Lpulse which I've started to make some good use out of.

Use 4x2. still does good damage.

I can use 5x2 with chain fire and it still shreds decently.

It does run a little hot

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 05 September 2014 - 08:18 PM.

#77 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:20 PM

Posted Image

Yeah......cool.

#78 Sable Phoenix

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:00 PM

The heat nerfs need to be rolled back yesterday. The Adder, Nova and Stormcrow are totally boned now, to the point of being very nearly unusable. Clan lasers already had heat problems for the chassis that boated them, but you're pretty much forced to boat them on most of the Clan chassis so it's not like anyone had a real choice. This is once again heavy-handed and extreme nerfing on the part of PGI.

Oh, and the range nerfs on small lasers and pulse lasers are asinine.

#79 Green Mamba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:42 PM

View PostUltimatum X, on 05 September 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

Are you really worried about Side torsos on a spider of all things?

The spider has some of the best hitboxes in the entire game, do you even know the scale of a Kit Fox vs. a Spider?

http://mwomercs.com/...essions-review/

Posted Image

Sorry, but your Spider has it easy compared to the Kit Fox and the Adder.

Smaller, harder to hit & up to like 50% faster. 50%!!!!

Clan XL means two things for Clan Lights: Jack & Squat.

Again, people leg lights.

Not Mine it seems ... of course I don't run Hacks so that might be making a difference ... as far as Clan Xls don't make a difference everyone knows the truth regardless what you say if they actually play the game

#80 Tanreh

• PipPip
  • Private, First Class
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:44 PM

Well...or not well....

this patch shows one very important fact AGAIN to me.

PGI is either way
  • not listening to what is being said on the forums...
  • not caring what is being said on the forums
  • have no idea what they are actually doing
  • are far away from any *scientific* approach to problems
  • have a vastly different understanding on their own game than most of the people playing the game
Perhaps a combination of some of the points above.

After the big negative response due to the changes of the CERLL, they are doing it again...changing multiple variables of a weapon system where one would have been sufficient for balance. (1,2,3,4,5)
They are changing weapons systems which never have been unbalanced (3,4,5)
They are ruining many mechs which have actually been paid for by changing weapons system instead of chassis (3,5)
The forum is bristling with many doable, logical or plain brilliant suggestions how to solve the problems...they are just not being heard (1,2,3,4,5)
Prices for new mechs (read: a part of the game) are much too high...they range in the spheres of complete games...(2,5)

Altogether, the art work in the game is breathtaking...the graphics are fine in my estimation and the mechmodels are very nice. It is something of the shame that the base game systems is becoming worse with every change they are implementing and that they are not really making progress so far in terms of campaigns or goals aside from grinding and short time matches.

My conclusion ( and please note...it is my personal conclusion) to this is that I will not spend any more money on the game from this point on.
It is great as F2P and I will have a look on it from time to time...but if I spend money on a game, I want to play to enjoy the game to have some fun in my leisure time and not to be angered by the lacking development or nerfhammering of bought (!) items or moneygrabbing methods or rows of broken promises or...well...you get the point of it.

*sigh* I am just very disappointed by the course this game has taken....sorry for the ranting...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users