"challenge".....

52 replies to this topic

#41 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:55 PM

I think this was a much better challenge than the previous, but I will say that for a "Lance" challenge it is really more of a solo challenge with the arbitrary requirement of being in a group of four. It is honestly uninspired, but like I said at least it is an improvement over the last one.

#42 Mad Strike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:13 PM

If theres something like a real challenge is the Planetside 2 directive system. Now if we have something like this we could have sustained Achivement/challenge hybrid for the whole game's lifetime : Diferent objetives , Diferent rewards that could be skins or diferent aesthetics something make atractive the use of diferent roles (brawler , support ,recon...etc)

Edited by strikebrch, 07 September 2014 - 09:15 PM.

#43 Grantham Besat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:09 PM

What if they reversed it so the solo challenege used the point system and the group event counted wins? I would think that might have been better. I personaly hate small groups. I would rather sol or drop in a ten or twelve. Small groups to be are the worst of both group and solo play.

Edited by Grantham Besat, 07 September 2014 - 10:12 PM.

#44 Mad Strike

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:10 AM

UPDATE: Challenge complete , 2 new anti-LRM boat challenge builds: ARP (All Range Puncher) and Zeus.

#45 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:14 AM

View PostBigbacon, on 06 September 2014 - 07:00 PM, said:

actually, the biggest problem of this challenge is just getting 4 people together.

I didn't have a problem.
NG:NG Was a breeze
Steiner hub: was easy as well. and the Team I was on almost completely changed in the Hours I played.

Keeping a 4 man together was as easy as hitting the TS channel Lobby and saying, "We have room for 1 on dropship X."

#46 Hagoromo Gitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconic Combine, outscirts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:17 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 08 September 2014 - 02:14 AM, said:

I didn't have a problem.
NG:NG Was a breeze
Steiner hub: was easy as well. and the Team I was on almost completely changed in the Hours I played.

Keeping a 4 man together was as easy as hitting the TS channel Lobby and saying, "We have room for 1 on dropship X."

Actually I found this challenge weekend assault friendly... as for me. :lol:

#47 CN9 ACE PILOT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 306 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUNKNOWN

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:37 AM

Derp

Edited by CN9 ACE PILOT, 09 September 2014 - 01:42 PM.

#48 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:54 AM

View Poststrikebrch, on 05 September 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

uhhmmmm rare for me to say this directly to PGI but,...... Your challenge point system is asking for LRM boat matches and guess what....it worked....no fun ....just LRM BOATS EVERYWHERE....we had the same thing on the last challenge how's that you didn't see this coming ?

really ?!!!!
LOL, I ran a LRM boat less than 5 times during the challenge, and ran a spotter probably only 10 times, most of the rest of the time I was either in my Firebrand with dual gauss, dual ML's, or in my Direwolf with dual gauss, dual C-LPL's.

So, again, YMMV.

The missiles were abundant, yes, and when you ran against one or two lances that KNEW how to use them... Ouch!

However, this sort of challenge brought out the "thought" in this "thinking man's shooter"...

So all I can say is, while it is difficult to do so, some of us just, please, learn to "think", you'll enjoy this game oh so much more!

I enjoyed the hell out of this challenge. It wasn't drudgery, it wasn't having to worry about accidentally TK'ing someone who jumps in front of you trying to steal your kill, or who tries to shoot through you (killing you in the process) trying to steal your kill.

No, in this case it was actually a lot of lances COORDINATING for a change.

It was awesome!

Plus, the solo queue when I wasn't helping my guildies after I finished the challenge myself, was actually QUITE bearable!

#49 Mad Strike

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:56 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 08 September 2014 - 09:54 AM, said:

LOL, I ran a LRM boat less than 5 times during the challenge, and ran a spotter probably only 10 times, most of the rest of the time I was either in my Firebrand with dual gauss, dual ML's, or in my Direwolf with dual gauss, dual C-LPL's.

So, again, YMMV.

The missiles were abundant, yes, and when you ran against one or two lances that KNEW how to use them... Ouch!

However, this sort of challenge brought out the "thought" in this "thinking man's shooter"...

So all I can say is, while it is difficult to do so, some of us just, please, learn to "think", you'll enjoy this game oh so much more!

I enjoyed the hell out of this challenge. It wasn't drudgery, it wasn't having to worry about accidentally TK'ing someone who jumps in front of you trying to steal your kill, or who tries to shoot through you (killing you in the process) trying to steal your kill.

No, in this case it was actually a lot of lances COORDINATING for a change.

It was awesome!

Plus, the solo queue when I wasn't helping my guildies after I finished the challenge myself, was actually QUITE bearable!

The only thing that save me from this nightmare was a 5 ppc DW with targetiing computer MK7 XD XD

#50 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:21 PM

View PostCN9 ACE PILOT, on 08 September 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

You mean Saturday night? When my lance, you, and the rest of the hodgepodge group of pugs were up against a 12 man drop? No one had the balls to take charge so i stepped up? I asked for some one to climb up to F5(HPG Manafold) and get me visual so i could plan our next move, no one did so i had to maneuver my CN9 up there having to duck in and out of the out of bounds? Because i was trying to see if there was a spot i could fit a lance+ with cover to draw their attention, while i moved the rest in and slipped into a hole i could not get out of because my out of bounds countdown had not fully reset?

Yeah, i messed up, and cost us the match. I took charge, I took a gamble to give us the edge because no one else was willing to do so and lost, and was up to me to lead by example since i took command.

So tell me, what exactly did you do? But instantly jump on the bandwagon of calling me **** after no one else had the balls to step up?

What does that have anything to do with missiles? I'm assuming it was a jab stemming from your shortcomings, I'm willing to live with the fact that i took command and failed, but you are not even willing to send that question on a private message.

I was asking because there were some in my lance that believed that you were either working with the other team or intentionally trolling us by making us wait a 10 minute standoff and then suiciding. They and I believed that you are not a bad player to suicide by accident. I wanted to hear your side of the story, which is harder to explain in game. As for what I was doing, I was piloting a LRM stalker and was at the same place that you died at earlier in the match scouting. From that point however they were able to see me from the center and shoot at me with ER lasers. I decided that it was a disadvantage to stay there and get shot at so I got down and waited with the team. We almost beat them :-/

Edited by Soulscour, 08 September 2014 - 08:23 PM.

#51 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:25 PM

View Poststrikebrch, on 05 September 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

uhhmmmm rare for me to say this directly to PGI but,...... Your challenge point system is asking for LRM boat matches and guess what....it worked....no fun ....just LRM BOATS EVERYWHERE....we had the same thing on the last challenge how's that you didn't see this coming ?

4 days of this "#$ really ?!!!!

I dunno. I had boat loads of fun and so did the three other brand new players I brought into the game. LRMs are not hard to beat. They're part of the game, can we stop complaining about them now? Been this same nonsense since beta.

View PostBhelogan, on 07 September 2014 - 02:26 PM, said:

I'll say it again. Bringing LRMs yourself does not help you personally with this challenge. It helps everyone else on the team that is spotting for you. Really, just throw in LRM5 with 2 tons onto your build. You don't need a dedicated boat to give someone a spotting assist. You can run your direct fire builds, and be just fine. But your not helping anyone else on the team get points that way.

Also just do what this guy says. I've been running a 2D2 for the entire event and I think I still got more kills with my single AC5 than I did the with the 4LRM launchers it had. And all I did was make it even EASIER for the new guy in our group to rake in points after he fell in love with the Raven.

Edited by Pika, 08 September 2014 - 08:38 PM.

#52 CN9 ACE PILOT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 306 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUNKNOWN

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:53 PM

View PostSoulscour, on 08 September 2014 - 08:21 PM, said:

I was asking because there were some in my lance that believed that you were either working with the other team or intentionally trolling us by making us wait a 10 minute standoff and then suiciding. They and I believed that you are not a bad player to suicide by accident. I wanted to hear your side of the story, which is harder to explain in game. As for what I was doing, I was piloting a LRM stalker and was at the same place that you died at earlier in the match scouting. From that point however they were able to see me from the center and shoot at me with ER lasers. I decided that it was a disadvantage to stay there and get shot at so I got down and waited with the team. We almost beat them :-/

I apologize then for my lapse of retardation then, the question was so vague i assumed the worst.

After i died I tried to explain what happened in game, but was quickly bombarded with "STFU" "BS you did it purpose" etz.

It was not my intention to "troll" and the "stalling" was a group consensus to "defend" but i knew people were getting anxious and itching to fight, and the other team was smart enough, to not only not underestimate us, but clearly know it was suicide to go after us. I can show you in PM's the invisible wall i was trying to get to if you want, as to not further derail the thread.

On topic.

I stick with at least one ERPPC, to temporarily disable enemy ecm's, one shot uav's, and slowly poke their defense line, as well as being able to quick fire and go back in cover before full duration of lasers and missile speeds.

Missile boats are incredibly vulnerable at close range, but you can't blindly charge at them and expect not to be mauled by their front line. Being impatient is one of the top reasons why people die to LRM's and start screaming like a child on the chat bar.

#53 Mark Brandhauber

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 291 posts
  • LocationYorkshire United Kingdom

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:16 PM

IMO, negative side effect of the weekend challenge is aggression has all but disappeared from the group queue.... making for long slow frustrating games, many players are not seizing the opportunities the map presents them to advance on lrm boats. Watching derps missiles line up and chuck missiles at each other is as boring as the jump sniping wars of old.
I can't believe I'm saying this but it's time to increase the cooldown rate on LRMs and increase the heat to make them less easy mode.
The positive effect was i haven't felt so useful in raven since when they we're broken and almost impossible to kill.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users