#auniversetoexplore - Part Deux

215 replies to this topic

#101 Daemir

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:31 PM

And if you somehow found the people to work on a new, bigger project than MWO, why the hell you couldn't find more people for the MWO project to get it up to where it should be in a timely fashion?

#102 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:33 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 06 September 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

I appreciate the apprehension. Bryan will have much juicier stuff to share early next week.
Otherwise, with regards to communications. I've already put together and effected a stronger social media policy for PGI which codifies the expectations for a healthier community. Everyone has been on-board with the new set of rules and even helped me find the holes in it's wording and logic in the initial drafts. The overarching goal of this all is to have a have a forward-facing policy which not only we, but you too can hold us to. One which embraces the philosophies of honesty, timeliness[size=4] and effective knowledge management.

:huh:

#103 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:35 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 06 September 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

I appreciate the apprehension. Bryan will have much juicier stuff to share early next week.
Otherwise, with regards to communications. I've already put together and effected a stronger social media policy for PGI which codifies the expectations for a healthier community. Everyone has been on-board with the new set of rules and even helped me find the holes in it's wording and logic in the initial drafts. The overarching goal of this all is to have a have a forward-facing policy which not only we, but you too can hold us to. One which embraces the philosophies of honesty, timeliness[size=4] and effective knowledge management.

Yes, please, we need to be assured that MWO is not being abandoned or only being left with a skeleton crew and minimal development until your license runs out.

#104 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:37 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 06 September 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

Yes, please, we need to be assured that MWO is not being abandoned or only being left with a skeleton crew and minimal development until your license runs out.

Im not overly sure how you expect them to show you this ?

#105 SirLagsalot

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:47 PM

I only have 1 question:

Given that PGI has yet to deliver what they promised years ago for MWO, why should we care about #AUniverseToExplore?

#106 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:56 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 06 September 2014 - 02:51 PM, said:

Don't panic!

We may need to hand out some towels though :lol:

#107 Prezimonto

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:58 PM

I realize from the last thread that MWO has a full team of members, what I'm curious about is how many people, particularly core people were moved from the MWO team to the new game and then replaced with new hires?

What percentage of art team was moved from MWO to this new game?

What percentage of code team members was moved from MWO to this new game?

Over the last year we've seen a pretty large decrease in the quality(less grebels, angles and fun bits to chassis), uniqueness(many reused assets between mechs), animation(ice skating and skipping of quite a few recent mechs), and really bad scaling(PPC's on the firestarter's arms the size of small lasers, GIANT VCR's of doom on the Catapult) of mechs, particuarly compared the first 6 mechs. Has this been due to only work-flow issues, or is it one of the first casualties of inexperienced employees coming in and taking up the reigns of MWO?

Will the new game be part of the battletech universe? Will it have a different well know brand label? If not why are you looking to start a newer more ambitious game with seriously huge and direct competition in the open sci-fi genre?

#108 White Panther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:59 PM

We're going to see a handful of individuals move on from MWO to take senior roles in the new project; Don't panic

Thanks Niko, good to know. This will extinguish the concerns of everyone and restore faith in pgi.

Thanks for that..

#109 A DRUNK GUY

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 83 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:01 PM

Im nervous about spending any more money on MWO.

What kind of lifespan for MWO do you plan on having or want to have for it continuing into the future?

#110 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:03 PM

"Things will be different from now on"

Ok Niko. We'll see. Work's cut out for you guys though.

#111 Mal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 995 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:07 PM

Will the new game have pie? Since we know the cake is a lie? :P

Seriously though, can you make it a Cyberpunk/Shadowrun-esque game set in space? Because, that'd be cool, and differentiate from the E:D/SC 'sim' genre pretty easily.

#112 kuangmk11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 627 posts
  • LocationW-SEA, Cascadia

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:08 PM

There may come a time when MWO can be called "feature complete",

There may come a time? That is not reassuring at all.

#113 Bartholomew bartholomew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:12 PM

Already jettisoned to off topic??

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Bartholomew bartholomew, 06 September 2014 - 03:12 PM.

#114 Why Run

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:13 PM

IAMHUMAN

#115 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:16 PM

What Is your plan Of actions with Maps. As far as i can see it, CW is wrapping up nicely. What about the 3000+ planets. We need maps on a regular scheduled basis. That is the only thing I have a concern with.

#116 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:17 PM

There may come a time when MWO can be called "feature complete", I think we can safely say we're not even close to that point yet. In the weeks to come, We're going to see a handful of individuals move on from MWO to take senior roles in the new project; Don't panic! We're also going to see (and are already) seeing many new fresh-faces on staff. If it helps the mental imagery, Bryan was rummaging around the office with a measuring tape the other day trying to figure out how we're going to fit all the extra workstations needed. We're going to get to benefit from the added wisdom and experience of these new team-members too. :)

Niko, I am glad that PGI is diversifying and seems to be fairly successful these days, but seeing how MWT was handled (a game which I also bought in to), I am not so reassured.

#117 RedDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:20 PM

Bryan, this is an honest question.

How can you believably promote your new game with the sentence

MechWarrior Online's incredibly successful Founder's Program proved that we can work directly with our backers to help build a game for the community.

After openly admitting in the past that the Founders, the "backers" are no longer your target audience? After telling them that their voices are not to be heard because they are but a vocal minority?

Really, this is not a loaded question, although it may sound so. I honestly would like to know how you can arrange this disparity with your conscience as spokesperson for PGI and this new game.

#118 Mal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 995 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:20 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 06 September 2014 - 03:17 PM, said:

Niko, I am glad that PGI is diversifying and seems to be fairly successful these days, but seeing how MWT was handled (a game which I also bought in to), I am not so reassured.

PGI had no involvement with MWT.

#119 Why Run

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:26 PM

1) Do you know why people reacted they way they did? And we know you must know why, so if you were truly honest, you would have gotten out ahead of this, since you admit knew it was coming. But, given that you didn't bother to do that, you simply rolled out a new teaser website and sat back looking forward to the fall back, do you not understand how insulting that is to us PAYING CUSTOMERS?

2) Now you tell us that you're taking some senior staff to a new program. And 'new' people will replace them. a) How long will this delay the development cycle? b.) is this why you have not made any substantial progress on the meat of the "PLAN"?

Edited by Why Run, 06 September 2014 - 03:27 PM.

#120 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:27 PM

After court cases where your having to defend against claims of over diversifying.

The slow, developement of MWO (which remains unfinished, and unstable)

Which with this new venture seems to justify the case

How can you expect anyone, whether it be a single player, or company to invest and have faith in your words, as this is now the second time money from mwo players put into your company, has been spent on other projects

Edited by Cathy, 06 September 2014 - 03:30 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users