#auniversetoexplore - Part Deux

215 replies to this topic

#41 Rasc4l

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 496 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:26 AM

With this "PR-storm" about a new game, do you have any plans of showing your dedication to the MWO community by taking MWO further to the direction of a thinking man's shooter by implementing e.g. this, which would give you information and role warfare.

You answered that you would take it to the dev team so just wondering what they said?

#42 DeathlyEyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • 940 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMetaphorical Island somewhere in the Pacific

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:28 AM

Is Paul going to be designing the new game or continuing designing this game?

#43 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:33 AM

View PostRasc4l, on 06 September 2014 - 08:26 AM, said:

With this "PR-storm" about a new game, do you have any plans of showing your dedication to the MWO community by taking MWO further to the direction of a thinking man's shooter by implementing e.g. this, which would give you information and role warfare.

You answered that you would take it to the dev team so just wondering what they said?

(Side note) We did, and it has lots of merits. I can ask the designers to reply.

#44 Icould

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:33 AM

What game engine will you use in auniversetoexplore? I'm concerned if it will be cry engine because that one turned out to create problems for MWO.

#45 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:35 AM

Okay, I have one more question. Right now, IGP is behind you and Mechwarrior Online. IGP is also behind Mechwarrior Tactics. Is this new announcement related to IGP and/or Mechwarrior Tactics in any way?

I feel the need to ask, because MWT has been unavailable for about two weeks now. I feel the two could be related, and a lot of people here invested in MWT, and I think they'd be more content with at least some sort of response on any front.

Edited by MarsAtlas, 06 September 2014 - 08:37 AM.

#46 Lord Ikka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:37 AM

Why doesn't PGI stick to one project and finish it?

#47 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:41 AM

View PostLord Ikka, on 06 September 2014 - 08:37 AM, said:

Why doesn't PGI stick to one project and finish it?

How does one finish an MMO?

How many new people have you hired on for this project (that weren't previously associated with MWO)? How many are actually assigned/working on it?

#48 Vertigo 1

• PipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 88 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:43 AM

• When did this new game begin development?
  • When development began, did staff who had been originally working on MWO start working on both, or was new staff hired to work solely on this new game to ensure both games were properly staffed?
  • Was any money obtained from the MWO Founders Program used to fund this new game's development at any point?
  • (Not trying to be impolite here, serious question) Did you honestly believe, when many of the promises made to the Founders have still not been implemented 2 years later, that this announcement would not cause such an uproar?
Thanks for answering our questions!

#49 Aluminumfoiled

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationErehwon

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:44 AM

Has this affected netcode progress and map producton? (desyncs and 0 ping)

If Factory and Jungle maps were out there would a lot less heat over this. Little feeling of progress except new mechs.

BTW good job on Vindicators. At 45t I expected it to be very bad just due to being on the low end of the class.

#50 DeathlyEyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • 940 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMetaphorical Island somewhere in the Pacific

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:44 AM

View PostDarth Futuza, on 06 September 2014 - 08:41 AM, said:

How does one finish an MMO?

Community warfare, hill climb, map desgin, performance issues, SLI/crossfire, multicore support, Smurfy style mechlab. My R9 290 + 5 ghz FX 8350 not getting 30 FPS. etc.

Edited by DeathlyEyes, 06 September 2014 - 09:09 AM.

#51 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:46 AM

Will this new game be on Steam?

#52 GaussDragon

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:56 AM

Who is going to be the lead gameplay designer for MWO from here on out?

#53 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:00 AM

will the development of this new game affect the development of mwo. if so, how?

#54 TKSax

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:02 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 06 September 2014 - 06:53 AM, said:

Our first thread contained the (expected) unruly responses. We've packed it up, given it to Superman, and he's on his way to the sun now. :)

If you got the "expect unruly responses how to expect this new game to be successful.

Also If this new game fails how will it affect the future of PGI and MWO.

In other words to be blunt the money lost on a fail venture like cause PGI to shut its doors. This has happened to a lot of other devleopers in the gaming indurstry so I think it is a fair question.

Edited by TKSax, 06 September 2014 - 09:04 AM.

#55 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:08 AM

View PostDeathlyEyes, on 06 September 2014 - 08:44 AM, said:

Community warfare, hill climb, map desgin, performance issues, SLI/crossfire, multicore support.

That's barely even scratching the surface. I don't think you understood my point. You can't "finish" an MMO.

==

Since you guys seem to have extra resources/enough money to make a new game, how about a single player Mech Warrior Title like originally planned too? I'm still pinning after this trailer:

#56 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:08 AM

pshh. as if Superman would ever work for you guys....

#57 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:28 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 06 September 2014 - 06:53 AM, said:

Our first thread contained the (expected) unruly responses. We've packed it up, given it to Superman, and he's on his way to the sun now. :)

Let's try again:

Please post questions you may have regarding MWO and #auniversetoexplore. Quality questions that show respect will be answered on Monday!
  • Please keep it civil, no swearing, insults, jabs, call outs, etc.
  • Personal opinions can be saved for a later date, only questions.
  • Be polite, avoid discussing the questions, as this creates a noisy thread.
This thread will be actively moderated to keep it focused and on track.

Here are some examples to help:
  • How does your new game impact the production of MWO?
  • Are you sharing resources (money, team members) between MWO and the new project?

Really? Is there anything to say that isn't really, really obvious?

Here's my question then.

Why would you expect MWO past and present players to show any interest in supporting your new title following on from 2+ years of prioritising revenue generation significantly over actual feature delivery, consistently making game decisions that don't jive with what the community actually want (3pv, consumables, ghost heat etc), and appearing to under-resource MWO development when compared to its original ambition to that point that we are multiple years behind and counting on any reasonable interpretation of community warfare?

Statement: There is no reason to assume that any PGI titles subsequent to MWO will be treated any differently, especially if this new game is an F2P as well, meaning that we can have no confidence that you as a company will deliver whatever you are going to put on the tin.

If you take this as an insult or a jab, there's really not much I can do about that, there aren't really any nice ways to question why we should expect better than what we (Or I suppose, in this case, I, subjectively and personally, but I am far from alone in this) have experienced from MWO to date.

edit: wording.

Edited by NextGame, 06 September 2014 - 09:36 AM.

#58 Tabrias07

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 482 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:28 AM

View PostDarth Futuza, on 06 September 2014 - 09:08 AM, said:

You can't "finish" an MMO.

MWO is not an MMO. It's counter-strike with robots.

#59 xX PUG Xx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:29 AM

1. (I may have missed the info somewhere) What is setting / basis for this new game. Does it have any relevance to the MWO/BattleTech IP?

2. Will development of this new title affect or be linked in anyway to the MWO product?

3. Will the development of MWO be affected / curtailed by the performance of the new title?

4. Can you offer any guarantees that MWO will continue to be developed / supported in the near future and what the life expectancy of MWO is?

Edited by xX PUG Xx, 06 September 2014 - 12:04 PM.

#60 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:35 AM

View PostTabrias07, on 06 September 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

MWO is not an MMO. It's counter-strike with robots.

I suppose that's true after a fashion especially since CW doesn't exist.

==

PGI: Are you considering changing the name? (To be frank with you "A Universe to Explore" sounds really stupid...like some sort of educational game or program).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users