117 replies to this topic

#41 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:18 AM

View PostShinVector, on 15 September 2014 - 04:43 AM, said:

It just gets hard when you get to the stage where SOLO MM expects you to carry teams.
I haven't Elited the 1X and 1R but we will see how it goes. These two just doesn't have what it take to easily survive the front lines.

The 1X I dropped all the MGs and went with 220xl, 2 AC5s, 2 ML, 5 tones of ammo or you could take 4 and add 2 JJs. Its not fantastic and still can't be a front of the pack attacker but you can lay down some damage at good ranges. It isn't a conventional build and lacks if you get caught alone.

#42 Shell Game

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:31 AM

I would have to call the Vindicator a COMPLETE failure. I sold off all three of mine. My main complaint was the large size of the mech and hitbox. I find the Centurion and Shadowhawk vastly superior to the Vindicator. The Centurion has a favorable Zombie hitbox and the Shadowhawk has a much better weapons loadout. My least favorite mech around this weight, the Hunchback, is better than this. Heck, even the Blackjack, at the same weight, is vastly superior as well. At least with the Blackjack I wasn't shooting up dirt the whole time from behind cover. When I see Vindicators in battle they are a source of easy kills. They are generally slow, easy to hit, and have extremely weak loadouts and hardpoint locations. What a shame as this mech had great potential.

It's time for PGI to get serious and introduce the next generation of Inner Sphere Mechs "capable" of competing with Clan mechs. Introducing extremely weak models of mechs, such as the Vindicator, and then nerfing Clan mechs to make them viable is a flawed process to begin with.

Edited by EpicWarlord, 15 September 2014 - 05:48 AM.

#43 Trevor Belmont

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:13 AM

The Vindicator is far from weak. Sounds like you just had some bad luck.

#44 Shell Game

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:24 AM

View PostTrevor Belmont, on 15 September 2014 - 06:13 AM, said:

Maybe you need to support your point unless you consider Assault mech guard duty as a strong role? The Vindicator is a extremely weak when compared to almost all of the medium mechs in the game. I gave this mech more than a fair shot, I had mine all mastered in the first few days they were available.

#45 Trevor Belmont

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:03 AM

I can't explain why I have plenty of 3 kill/500 damage games in mine. Perhaps I have a good build. But it works.

FYI I'm in a 1AA with 1 er ppc, 3 medium lasers, 1 SRM 6, 4 jump jets, 280 XL (top speed of 110) and max armor.

#46 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:13 AM

View PostEpicWarlord, on 15 September 2014 - 05:31 AM, said:

I would have to call the Vindicator a COMPLETE failure. I sold off all three of mine. My main complaint was the large size of the mech and hitbox. I find the Centurion and Shadowhawk vastly superior to the Vindicator. The Centurion has a favorable Zombie hitbox and the Shadowhawk has a much better weapons loadout. My least favorite mech around this weight, the Hunchback, is better than this. Heck, even the Blackjack, at the same weight, is vastly superior as well. At least with the Blackjack I wasn't shooting up dirt the whole time from behind cover. When I see Vindicators in battle they are a source of easy kills. They are generally slow, easy to hit, and have extremely weak loadouts and hardpoint locations. What a shame as this mech had great potential.

It's time for PGI to get serious and introduce the next generation of Inner Sphere Mechs "capable" of competing with Clan mechs. Introducing extremely weak models of mechs, such as the Vindicator, and then nerfing Clan mechs to make them viable is a flawed process to begin with.

I have NO PROBLEM in my Vindi's. Even 1v1 some BJ's and other Vindi's a few nights ago and she held her own no problem.

I prefer the SIB and the 1R, 1R has 2 Large Laser 3 Mediums and a SRM 6 as well as max engine 2 JJ's and as much armor as i can fit.

SIB runs ER PPC, 2 Medium Lasers and 2 SRM 4's....

I find they work best hunting lights and shooting back of assaults just like other Jumpy Mediums. Don't try to take peeps head on (not an A/C20 BJ), be sneaky and get lost in the terrain and back as much as possible. Always keep something in between you and the target especially when out tonned. This is one of my fav tactics in Lights and mediums, find a rock to play around and become erratic and unpredictable with movements and the places you choose to pop out from.

Defiantly is not going to steal the SHD or BJ's places but its outshines some of the more bland variants IMO.

The 3rd Variant i own is the VND-1X, 1x PPC, 2x Medium Lasers, 1x SRM4, 2x MG's and a UA/C-5...defiantly the slowest but he does well when you stay with the fatties.

#47 Draken X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 320 posts
  • LocationGMT+8

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:36 PM

Seconded. I had tough luck to enjoy my ride with my Vindi most times, because I always pinned down by a bunch of LRM boats whenever I encountered them and when they got my attention.

Although I barely get a kill with it, but I enjoy assisting my team and survive the match. Scoring a kill is secondary/tetiary.

Also, I think Vindi is not meant to really competing against Clan mech 1v1, but rather against other IS mechs.

Maybe there are people don't get the definition of "workhorse". But time and again, Vindi is not perfect yet far from weak, even though it was made to perform any tasks with less than "expected" optimal results in a degree of successes. It is more effective when fighting in group, and thus Vindi was probably introduced for faction/communtiy warfare.

Edited by Draken X, 15 September 2014 - 06:40 PM.

#48 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

View PostBigbacon, on 15 September 2014 - 05:18 AM, said:

The 1X I dropped all the MGs and went with 220xl, 2 AC5s, 2 ML, 5 tones of ammo or you could take 4 and add 2 JJs. Its not fantastic and still can't be a front of the pack attacker but you can lay down some damage at good ranges. It isn't a conventional build and lacks if you get caught alone.

A 5t heavier Clint?
Gonna try that out.

#49 Shell Game

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:47 PM

View PostTrevor Belmont, on 15 September 2014 - 07:03 AM, said:

I can't explain why I have plenty of 3 kill/500 damage games in mine. Perhaps I have a good build. But it works.

FYI I'm in a 1AA with 1 er ppc, 3 medium lasers, 1 SRM 6, 4 jump jets, 280 XL (top speed of 110) and max armor.

That actually does look like a strong build for the 1AA, but how about the rest of the Vindicator variants that get much smaller max engines? I stopped playing most of my PPC load-outs after the recent Direwolf dual PPC/ dual Gauss nerf. I would have been a lot happier had the 1X model been given a larger engine max as this model features a ballistics load out on the left arm.

#50 Draken X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 320 posts
  • LocationGMT+8

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:15 PM

1AA variant is technically a 1R that trade-off half of its armor for bigger engine for more speed, more JJs for more manuveurability, minus 1 energy hardpoint and extra AMS. However, due to its lighter armor, gotta play it as a heavy light mech.

It's ironic that the 1AA was an unsuccessful variant in the BattleTech fluff.

It's actually possible to make 1R to be comparable with 1AA.

#51 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:02 AM

View PostEpicWarlord, on 15 September 2014 - 09:47 PM, said:

That actually does look like a strong build for the 1AA, but how about the rest of the Vindicator variants that get much smaller max engines? I stopped playing most of my PPC load-outs after the recent Direwolf dual PPC/ dual Gauss nerf. I would have been a lot happier had the 1X model been given a larger engine max as this model features a ballistics load out on the left arm.

Yup.. The 1AA is fun to play with.

#52 ShadowbaneX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:37 AM

View PostBigbacon, on 15 September 2014 - 05:18 AM, said:

I think I mentioned up thread that I considered something like that for the 1X (ie Dakka), AC.5s or an AC/10 (not AC/2s, not a fan of those), but really, the ER PPC weighs half as much when you factor in ammo, which means bigger engine, backup weapons and no ammo dependance.

#53 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:53 AM

i tried the er ppc on the 1x but it didn;t really work too well for me. for unknown reasons though when i dropped the dual AC5 to an AC 2 and AC5 while keeping the 2MLs suddenly i'm doing much better than i did with the dual AC5s. 4MPLs still work fine on the AA as long as i'm patient in the first half of matches. it shines in the later half of matches.

#54 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:14 AM

View PostTanar, on 16 September 2014 - 05:53 AM, said:

i tried the er ppc on the 1x but it didn;t really work too well for me. for unknown reasons though when i dropped the dual AC5 to an AC 2 and AC5 while keeping the 2MLs suddenly i'm doing much better than i did with the dual AC5s. 4MPLs still work fine on the AA as long as i'm patient in the first half of matches. it shines in the later half of matches.

i may have to try the AC5+AC2. how much ammo do you carry for each one?

#55 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:07 AM

View PostBigbacon, on 16 September 2014 - 06:14 AM, said:

i may have to try the AC5+AC2. how much ammo do you carry for each one?

2 tons for the ac5 and 2.5tons for the AC2. i do have ams and 1 ton of ammo so i could drop that to a half ton if find myself running out of ammo for one or the other. so far i've been ok. xl 200 (i think) engine 72kph w/o speed tweak. 1JJ

#56 Delta One

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:17 AM

I use them quite well i enjoy the mech. I cant remember the variant but it has dual ams i use lrg pulse 2 med pulse and deal anywhere from 250-500dmg a game flanking and sticking with the bigger mechs on my team.

#57 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:34 PM

Made the VND-1R actually do something with my old energy Blackjack build.

#58 Orkdung

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 296 posts
  • LocationCCAF Sian

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:58 PM

Agreed.

Posted Image

#59 Trevor Belmont

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:31 AM

2.91 K/D ratio. Seems fine for a medium.

Posted Image

Edited by Trevor Belmont, 17 September 2014 - 04:32 AM.

#60 Sagedabluemage

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:09 AM

i got mine recently working on the AA. Its a nice mech but it feels a lil sluggish on turning other than that i likes it i can see very well and move around like crazy. Just turning and redirecting myself on the fly seems a bit lacking for me. maybe i just need to get used to it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users