New Terra Therma Is...

77 replies to this topic

#1 Digous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 117 posts
  • LocationThrough the deepest void, a blackened paradise i walk alone.

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:13 PM

EPIC!!!

Frantic pace and chaotic war scenes!!!!!

Great to see a nice new map after the kingdom of bore called polar highLRMnds!!

#2 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 323 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:21 PM

therma is also lrm heaven and i am not enthralled with it.

#3 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:25 PM

Yep I agree.

I'm sure there will be people who don't like it for one reason or another. Hot maps are never that popular and a lot of people can't adapt to the challenges a battle field throws at them but I love it.

Mind you I didn't mind the old one either :)

#4 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:27 PM

The map is great so long as both teams don't go the middle pass.

Just like the old Terra Therma funnily enough.

#5 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:37 PM

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 18 October 2016 - 04:21 PM, said:

therma is also lrm heaven and i am not enthralled with it.

Perhaps, but, unlike Polar, Lurmers will overheat themselves long before they kill you.

#6 UnofficialOperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:39 PM

No one is choosing it.... fml

#7 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:41 PM

Just played it, and I like it a ton. It is a bit LRM-heavenish, though. Was in a CPLT-C1 with dual LRM15As, and I didn't really stat heating up until the started cresting and I was throwing Medium Laser batteries in.

Once you get the heat, though, it stays, and I love it.

Sorry to the the guy I team killed, though. I didn't mean it, guy - Was just trying to kill that Arctic Cheetah, and it only took 6 damage to kill you.

EDIT: Also, thank God I did well on my first try. Seems like no one wants to vote for it - Pretty sure I only got in because someone dumped a mega-multiplier on it. But my event is done and I don't have to worry about it now!

Edited by Bombast, 18 October 2016 - 04:42 PM.

#8 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:43 PM

Played new Terra Therma a few times. Love it.

See you around, old Terra Therma. You will not be missed.

Edited by Mole, 18 October 2016 - 04:43 PM.

#9 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 18 October 2016 - 05:17 PM

The new Therma is a cool map, but I like the old one better. What's up with all these long-range, open, one-sided maps that PGI's been churning out lately? This new one feels like a hot Polar with pillars sticking straight up here and there and a smattering of pits. The old map volcanoes and spider-web paths were a lot of fun for running gunbattles.

Also, what's it take to get all our old maps put back into the rotation? Can't we keep them and have the new maps too for more options?

I'm finding myself forced to abandon my brawlers more and more often as PGI systematically eliminates brawling maps. It's frustrating.

Original Terra was also one of the last good Conquest Maps with the well place and distant cap points.

Edited by Nightmare1, 18 October 2016 - 05:18 PM.

#10 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 18 October 2016 - 05:25 PM

Love the new TT. More varied routes to take even though pilots gather for some spooky camping tales around the different lava pits / volcanos. More nooks and crannies to hide behind for lights and those annoying missiles. I admit there was one place on that map that seemed to be good enough for lurming, but otherwise its not as lrm friendly as polar highlands or even HPG and Caustic. And its dark, gloomy, intimidating and looks so awesome and atmospheric with all these added effects and the changes themself to the map.

I found the old center volcano place too (or at least a smilar onewith that broken down metal piece). It felt a bit bleaker and abandoned. We got new hunting grounds in hell now for sure.

#11 UnofficialOperator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:17 PM

Played it once and it was nice :)

#12 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:21 PM

So far I like the new TT. Lots of interesting places to fight with good mix of open ground, concealment, and dense cover.

Kudos, PGI.

#13 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:56 PM

New Terra Therma is great, keep an eye for UAV's and LRM's are less of an issue. Assault is still terrible as it is on every map (if only they just made it asymmetrical it would be a good game mode), but, domination is awesome. More so I since don't get hung up everywhere due to the slops were too steep and parts of the map far too dark. This is a huge boon for playing anything bigger than a medium and prevents the issue of protecting trundling assaults being forced to move at 20kph due to the slope.

Big thumbs up to the team on this one, now they need to iron out the bugs and this will be a fine patch.

#14 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:00 PM

Love the map, hate the minimap. With my colorblindness, and general bad vision, I can't see enemy indicators on the minimap at all. I can barely see the icons over their heads. I need colorblind support for TT to be anything less than pain.

#15 Trollfeed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:11 PM

For some reason I keep getting very close matches in new terra therma. I think it's because terrain on it gives more survivability as you can always retreat to cover. With some people who can manouver and shoot you can really turn snowballing matches around with good play from few guys.

#16 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:12 PM

Well, just played Domination on Therma for the first time.

And just like that, enthusiasm gone. Exit game from match (After death), and finding something better to do.

Edited by Bombast, 18 October 2016 - 08:13 PM.

#17 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:11 PM

I like it. Much more interesting and a worthy successor. I like map diversity, hostile alien environments as much as balmy coastlines and city scapes. People who complain that maps are too hot, or dont have full visibility or are not perfectly optimal for their play style are butt hurt whiners who cant adapt and the same people who like to blame the map for their poor performance. I say, bring on the hostile alien worlds. Whiners can suck it.

#18 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:21 PM

View PostBombast, on 18 October 2016 - 08:12 PM, said:

Well, just played Domination on Therma for the first time.

And just like that, enthusiasm gone. Exit game from match (After death), and finding something better to do.

Domination has that effect on most maps...

That said, faster 'Mechs have an easier time flanking now, since the routes are shorter.

#19 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:21 PM

I love the look and feel of the new Terra map. Far, far better than the old TT map.

Well... the potential to be....

My main problem is after two days the majority of my drops have already started to follow the typical set pattern of hopping off the drop ship and making a dead run to the Epsilon area.

This makes me sad.

All that awesome map to use and so far it's pretty much ignored. I simply have no idea why so many people (oddly who also complain loudly about the game being the same boring thing match after match...ironic...) simply log on and repeat the same exact action drop after drop.

I've started moving to other parts of the map. A few folks come with me often.
Of course we get yelled at for not following the sheep, but hey, at least a few of us are having fun?

All that said, pretty solid job on the new map PGI!

#20 ChapeL

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:26 PM

Nice map, fun battles... hard to see with all thoser very bright zones right next to very dark ones ( and the usual sea of ECM ) Definately challenging.

Just get rid of that buzzer ( really ) and don't invite whoever let that slip through QA to the christmas party. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users