Who Else Is Really Excited About The New Game Pgi Is Making?

252 replies to this topic

#41 Torgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:09 PM

I'm going to LOL so hard if they're doing some Star Citizen copy.

#42 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:12 PM

View PostTorgun, on 06 September 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

Derp

Edited by Johnny Z, 06 September 2014 - 12:16 PM.

#43 Torgun

• 1,598 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:14 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 06 September 2014 - 12:12 PM, said:

I think Mechwarrior pre dates Star Citizen in the sci-fi realm.

I don't see your point, what has that to do with if they try to take on Star Citizen with this new game?

#44 CN9 ACE PILOT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 306 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUNKNOWN

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:14 PM

View PostFDJustin, on 06 September 2014 - 12:05 PM, said:

Exactly. Now, the main topic was some rumour about a new game. Is that based on truth, or just trolling?

So you have the time to post, but not the few seconds it takes to check for yourself? But i digress.

No, it's not "some rumor". Yes it's based on truth. Yes it's a sarcastic stab at IGP/PGI, or trolling as you would call it.

http://auniversetoexplore.com/

#45 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:16 PM

god...this is disheartening

#46 FDJustin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:17 PM

View PostCN9 ACE PILOT, on 06 September 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

So you have the time to post, but not the few seconds it takes to check for yourself? But i digress.

No, it's not "some rumor". Yes it's based on truth. Yes it's a sarcastic stab at IGP/PGI, or trolling as you would call it.

I did check. I clicked on PGI's little icon at the bottom of the page. Looked around there, didn't see it, then asked what you're talking about. Thanks for the link, someone already pointed it out though.

#47 Torgun

• 1,598 posts

View PostEcliptor, on 06 September 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

god...this is disheartening

Still we have all been warned, it happened before with Mechwarrior tactics, it's not that surprising it's happening again. But the whole "biggest project ever for Piranha" does tell us MWO is really going to play second fiddle from now on.

Edited by Torgun, 06 September 2014 - 12:18 PM.

#48 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

View PostMcgral18, on 06 September 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:

"I Am Human" is the pass.

So it's going to be bigger than the game they already can't keep up with?

Sounds like so much thought went into this!

#49 Jhaele

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:19 PM

Excited....... No

Curious...... Sure, why not.

Willing to spend any money on it...... Not a chance

I think it's time I nerf something. That thing is my wallet. Think of it like a range nerf. It can no longer be reached.

#50 FDJustin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:20 PM

I think it's more likely to be like star conflict (Which is World of Tanks in space) than Space Citizen. Space Citizen is a huge project, and I don't think PGI has the resources to pull it off.

Maybe their publisher is doing that publisher thing where they give you money to make a game, hence this new project.

#51 CN9 ACE PILOT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 306 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUNKNOWN

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:22 PM

...Let the nit picking begin -_-

CONGRATULATIONS!
Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Bryan Ekman, Creative Director and Co-Founder of Piranha Games. 14 years ago I founded Piranha Games with my business partner Russ Bullock to build exciting and engaging games that we love to play. Piranha is best known for our latest endeavor — MechWarrior Online, an online free-to-play giant robot combat game. MechWarrior Online's incredibly successful Founder's Program proved that we can work directly with our backers to help build a game for the community.

On Sep 9th, 2014 at 12:00PM PDT we invite you to join us for the reveal of our next project. It's a big one, it's going to be the largest production ever undertaken here at Piranha, and we want YOU to be part of it.

It's epic, it's online, it's sci-fi.

Just below you will find a registration form. Filling out this form will register you for our new game and grant you an exclusive in-game item when the finished product goes live. By registering now, you can also name your Pilotyes that's right, pilot. Ok, no more spoilers…

I look forward to the future, and our journey to the stars.

Sincerely,

Bryan Ekman

Creative Director/Co-Founder
Piranha Games

@bryanekman / #AUniverseToExplore

.......aaaaaaand countdown to doomsday begins.

Edited by CN9 ACE PILOT, 06 September 2014 - 12:22 PM.

#52 Torgun

• 1,598 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:23 PM

View PostFDJustin, on 06 September 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

I think it's more likely to be like star conflict (Which is World of Tanks in space) than Space Citizen. Space Citizen is a huge project, and I don't think PGI has the resources to pull it off.

Maybe their publisher is doing that publisher thing where they give you money to make a game, hence this new project.

You think, since MWO has this huge popularity and such a huge gamer population it has to be kept a secret? Much more likely they are sifting the income from MWO to make whatever this game is going to fail at becoming.

#53 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:27 PM

PS...

We can't give you guys what you want because we don't have the manpower, we're a small studio.

But we can totally develop two games with the existing staff!

Moneygrubbing S****

Edited by DV McKenna, 06 September 2014 - 12:28 PM.

#54 DivideByZer0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:29 PM

I had a boss that I hated once who used to always say :
"You don't have to re-invent the wheel, you just have to copy it."

Definitely reeks of a star citizen clone. I don't care what happens, I'm never giving PGI another cent of my money.
I gave them money in exchange for a promise to make a certain game two years ago, ever since then they have taken every opportunity available to mislead the community and consistently ask us to lower our expectations of their product.
This is what you can expect from PGI, in my experience.

Also (and I know someone will come up with some argument for this) I sincerely doubt PGI has the resources to execute an actual MMO game, they have in no way proven this with MWO.
MWO was supposed to be MMO, remember.

I'm still waiting for my mechwarrior game.

#55 Kazvall

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:31 PM

Incredibly successful founders package, huh? All those founders mechs really do work these days. And all that money we gave them for CW where in three years we have a non-functional map and a tag next to our name. Glad to know the clan update they've been milking people for will probably be the last major update to this game, what with the minimized staff and all. I am holding out hope they will make something of MWO but I'm quickly losing faith.

Hi-Rez did it to Tribes
Super Monday Night Combat got sidelined and is 99% dead due to them making Planetary Annihilation

Come on PGI and don't screw the pooch.

#56 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:31 PM

View PostCN9 ACE PILOT, on 06 September 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:

On Sep 9th, 2014 at 12:00PM PDT we invite you to join us for the reveal of our next project. It's a big one, it's going to be the largest production ever undertaken here at Piranha, and we want YOU to be part of it.

It's epic, it's online, it's sci-fi.

Just below you will find a registration form. Filling out this form will register you for our new game and grant you an exclusive in-game item when the finished product goes live. By registering now, you can also name your Pilotyes that's right, pilot. Ok, no more spoilers…

I look forward to the future, and our journey to the stars.

Im about to get in Elite Dangerous so they can forget me if they think they can get more milk from me. In fact they can forget me if they think they can get more milk from me for any other game than MWO.

But it would go in line with what a lot of people thought they would be doing, take MWO cash and do something else with it, after all just in the crowdfounding they got over 5millions, they must have gotten 25 millions since then and what do they have to show for all that cash?

#57 A DRUNK GUY

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 83 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:32 PM

Wow, I'm not spending another dime on this game. This announcement is pretty much spitting in our faces.

#58 FDJustin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:33 PM

View PostTorgun, on 06 September 2014 - 12:23 PM, said:

You think, since MWO has this huge popularity and such a huge gamer population it has to be kept a secret? Much more likely they are sifting the income from MWO to make whatever this game is going to fail at becoming.

Could be. It's all conjecture unless they bother to tell us. It's not like their website shows their company roster, or they post any quarterly earnings. It's a private company, and they keep as many "KPI" points hidden as possible.
Since we're all kept in the dark on these things, we've only got guesswork.
Either they made enough money off this game to either a: split development with whatever team they have, or b: hire a new team..
Or they received outside finances to create a prototype. This assumes they actually made something so far that isn't just concept art and a rendered trailer. It's possible they plan to try and get all the funding out of a crowdfunding campaign and haven't really dedicated much to this at all.

#59 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:34 PM

I think what they are trying to do is make a competing game in that Genre, I think they can do a good job.

#60 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:35 PM

View PostFDJustin, on 06 September 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

Could be. It's all conjecture unless they bother to tell us. It's not like their website shows their company roster, or they post any quarterly earnings. It's a private company, and they keep as many "KPI" points hidden as possible.
Since we're all kept in the dark on these things, we've only got guesswork.
Either they made enough money off this game to either a: split development with whatever team they have, or b: hire a new team..
Or they received outside finances to create a prototype. This assumes they actually made something so far that isn't just concept art and a rendered trailer. It's possible they plan to try and get all the funding out of a crowdfunding campaign and haven't really dedicated much to this at all.

" Hey guys did you see how much money Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous made just by making statements and promises.......we should totally copy this method, except we won't actually deliver 90% of our promises"

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 06 September 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

I think what they are trying to do is make a competing game in that Genre, I think they can do a good job.

And your still a moron thanks for confirming this.

Edited by DV McKenna, 06 September 2014 - 12:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users