Is It The End For Mechwarrior: Online, Or Finally A Much Needed Fresh Start?

543 replies to this topic

#21 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:04 PM

Well isnt the Q&A on the new game today? It would be pretty tough for :ph34r: "them" to be deleted and locking to many topics about it really.

#22 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:09 PM

Good post, Bishop.

I think people also forget or as, perhaps only ever being consumers, that PGI is a business. What they do with their profits is their business.

If MWO can keep itself afloat with its current revenue, and PGI thinks it can expand into a new franchise, thats fine by me.
Time will show if it is/was a wise business decision.

If they let MWO slide, they will likely lose players/revenue.

I think perhaps the only players with a REAL gripe would be the Founders/early adopters. Promises were made. Only some of them have begun to be enacted.

New players who can read about what has happened, well, Caveat Emptor. Look before you spend.
I went with the minimum buy-in for the Clan release and am happy so far. I got to experience a new shiny during a pivotal(i hope) advance for the franchise.

Ill stick with it until its no longer fun, or my friends all leave. I will only ever spend 'real' money if i think PGI goes the extra mile and blows my socks off. Same as i expect from any other product. If you think MWO will only be 'Chipotle' and not a hot new 5 star restaurant, well, spend accordingly.

#23 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:09 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 08 September 2014 - 01:02 PM, said:

Don't you want to know why that came to be?

2 sides to that story, McGral. And the ones some embrace as BDHs, are viewed as one of the big causes for the negativity, by others.

#24 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:15 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 08 September 2014 - 01:02 PM, said:

Don't you want to know why that came to be?

I do know why it came to be.

People payed money for a pack of some sort and expected special treatment. They acted like they bought stock and should have a say in the game. They feel like because the devs don't listen (they do, btw) to their post that suddenly the game is doomed. They have this unrealistic sense that they could fix everything about the game and do better than PGI. Then, when they start being abusive and behaving like children PGI has to ban them and censor them, only making them more angry. BattleTech's "biggest fans" or "oldest players" are ruining the game because of their temper and behavior problems.

#25 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:18 PM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 08 September 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

I do know why it came to be.

People payed money for a pack of some sort and expected special treatment. They acted like they bought stock and should have a say in the game. They feel like because the devs don't listen (they do, btw) to their post that suddenly the game is doomed. They have this unrealistic sense that they could fix everything about the game and do better than PGI. Then, when they start being abusive and behaving like children PGI has to ban them and censor them, only making them more angry. BattleTech's "biggest fans" or "oldest players" are ruining the game because of their temper and behavior problems.

Collisions will be back soon

4 pillars

CW 90 days after OB

Soon™

#26 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:21 PM

Some people look at something and see what they will enjoy about it. Some look at it and wonder what they can complain about. Some people see a problem and begin working on a solution. Some people see a problem and start crying and screaming in the belief that they will get attention and someone else might fix it if just to shut them up.

Bad business decisions and software bugs can be fixed. Relationships can be mended, incorrect decisions walked back. Broken people though are a whole other issue. This community, like many others, has a lot of broken people. I am fully in support of mods working to try and keep the forums as useful as possible. Arguments, disagreements, all that is productive. Streams of insults, tantrums and the like are not. If someone can not distinguish between a rational argument or disagreement and an insulting rant than fixing that is outside a forums scope and mods should moderate.

Never had an issue with mods here. Only some posters.

#27 Tatula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 683 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:24 PM

I think MWO is in no way shape or form "finished", but that hasn't stopped me from playing whenever I can spare the time. Few of us here really know what it takes to develop a game like this, but I am somewhat knowledgeable about software cycles. It may be that MWO is at a point where the next BIG thing (CW) is complete by the developer and is now going through the QA phase. While QA is going through, the developers are just waiting to hear back to see if there are bugs they need to fix. In the mean time, they can spend their time planning another project. I sincerely hope they're going to continue work on MWO, even if their new baby becomes a booming success.

#28 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:25 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 08 September 2014 - 01:21 PM, said:

Some people look at something and see what they will enjoy about it. Some look at it and wonder what they can complain about. Some people see a problem and begin working on a solution. Some people see a problem and start crying and screaming in the belief that they will get attention and someone else might fix it if just to shut them up.

Bad business decisions and software bugs can be fixed. Relationships can be mended, incorrect decisions walked back. Broken people though are a whole other issue. This community, like many others, has a lot of broken people. I am fully in support of mods working to try and keep the forums as useful as possible. Arguments, disagreements, all that is productive. Streams of insults, tantrums and the like are not. If someone can not distinguish between a rational argument or disagreement and an insulting rant than fixing that is outside a forums scope and mods should moderate.

Never had an issue with mods here. Only some posters.

As everyone knows, I always maintain complete self control and am 100% completely serious all the time. But this bout of locks has been especially tight, and i am guessing they wont be doing big mysterious reveals often so....

I was assuming the poster you had issue with was me. :)

Edited by Johnny Z, 08 September 2014 - 01:27 PM.

#29 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

Who is excited about this new game? The feedback was so negative on the first one that they had to close the feedback thread down and try it again.

I love how all the posts in General Discussion get locked and swept under the rug.

#30 orcrist86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:32 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...s-igp-feedback/

New beginning... definitely a new beginning

#31 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:38 PM

It is bad business practice to use funds which are pitched to go to one project and then use it for another, if I took a deposit on a order and then did another customers job with it what happens if i make a mistake or trash what i was working on? Where is the money for material? Man power? etc?

I do not think PGI will use the funds from this game on MWO or vice versa, that is bad and unless one is seriously turning a profit as compared to the other keeping money made by one product in that product and its development is the best route both fiscally and from a business stand point. But at the same time making more money as a whole is never bad, increasing man power, resources and material will only allow for more staff as a whole and even a influx in players coming to your development company. But thinking this game will either help or hinder MWO is pretty silly. They are two different things from one publisher yes but as a single person if i only worked on one job at a time i would be twiddling my thumbs a lot during the day waiting for the previous to "DRY" so to say.

Juggling jobs, customers and CFO is something that HAS to be done and often is not easy also something most business' dont just tell the world about. How are you suppose to make money if you give our your money making secrets to the internet?

Aside from that, everything Bishop said is spot on, STOP BEING A CANCER, Stop strapping on your forum flamethrowers every time there is a nerf. And what is this NERFS DONT GET ROLLED BACK talk? CERLL? Was 2.0 duration now its back down to 1.6 or 1.5 so there is a perfect example of someone being negative for no reason other then to try to support a argument that only makes them sleep better at night. LET STOP THIS! Negativity only creates more of the same and no one needs it or wants it. Not new players, not old players and from the looks of it not even most of the top guys. So who is doing this and why? What do they have to prove? Other then there butt hurt?

No need for hugs and mech back rubs but the toxicity level is absurd and chokes out any chance of new players finding this place as home IMO.

Edited by DarthRevis, 08 September 2014 - 01:40 PM.

#32 Reitrix

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:01 PM

View PostDarthRevis, on 08 September 2014 - 01:38 PM, said:

It is bad business practice to use funds which are pitched to go to one project and then use it for another, if I took a deposit on a order and then did another customers job with it what happens if i make a mistake or trash what i was working on? Where is the money for material? Man power? etc?

Technically speaking, any profits a company makes that has multiple games don't go in big buckets labeled with that games name, which the developers of that game exclusively are allowed to touch.

Profit is simply PGI making money and having extra after paying its Staff. Regardless of where that money came from.
If this new game turns out to be something that gets popular/successful, theres nothing stopping PGI from using the extra profits generated to assist in the development of other titles.
In fact, Doing so is a smart move as it allows for the less successful game to be improved so as to be more successful and bring in more revenue for the company as a whole, allowing it to expand.

As a Founder/Overlord/Clan package buyer, I have never felt that PGI owed me something, ever. I looked at the state of the game, made a decision to buy some stuff, and then got on with the game/life.
There are games where i genuinely regret buying into Founder packages (Scarlet Blade >_<) but i don't feel that here. What i bought still has value within the game.

Sure, MWO needs some help. But i remain optimistic that dropping the 3rd Party Publisher was a huge step in a very good direction.
It means Russ is solely responsible for decisions governing promises.
I would very much like to know (obviously without having PGI just rail on IGP) how much of MWOs development issues stemmed from having an impatient Publisher forcing public deadlines on them. We already know IGP borked the Clans, how much more of the "Promises" people regularly complain about was IGPs fault?

This is a good change, and i really do look forward to what PGI does with MWO over the next few months.
Edit: Also, that PGI doesn't have to pay IGP anymore means that much more money can be funneled into MWO.

Edited by Reitrix, 08 September 2014 - 02:03 PM.

#33 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:08 PM

Too long; did read.

Great post Bishop. That bit about detailed support tickets was really good. I don't know how common it was or just limited to a few, but good tickets got the White Screen of Death crashes fixed in a patch.

#34 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:15 PM

View PostDarthRevis, on 08 September 2014 - 01:38 PM, said:

I do not think PGI will use the funds from this game on MWO or vice versa, that is bad and unless one is seriously turning a profit as compared to the other keeping money made by one product in that product and its development is the best route both fiscally and from a business stand point. But at the same time making more money as a whole is never bad, increasing man power, resources and material will only allow for more staff as a whole and even a influx in players coming to your development company. But thinking this game will either help or hinder MWO is pretty silly. They are two different things from one publisher yes but as a single person if i only worked on one job at a time i would be twiddling my thumbs a lot during the day waiting for the previous to "DRY" so to say.

Juggling jobs, customers and CFO is something that HAS to be done and often is not easy also something most business' dont just tell the world about. How are you suppose to make money if you give our your money making secrets to the internet?

Aside from that, everything Bishop said is spot on, STOP BEING A CANCER, Stop strapping on your forum flamethrowers every time there is a nerf. And what is this NERFS DONT GET ROLLED BACK talk? CERLL? Was 2.0 duration now its back down to 1.6 or 1.5 so there is a perfect example of someone being negative for no reason other then to try to support a argument that only makes them sleep better at night. LET STOP THIS! Negativity only creates more of the same and no one needs it or wants it. Not new players, not old players and from the looks of it not even most of the top guys. So who is doing this and why? What do they have to prove? Other then there butt hurt?

No need for hugs and mech back rubs but the toxicity level is absurd and chokes out any chance of new players finding this place as home IMO.

It's actually standard practice. You think Blizzard doesn't use money from WoW to fund other projects? Rly?

Or the Limited, doesn't use funds from Abercrombie and Fitch at Victorias Secret, or vice versa?

#35 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:28 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 September 2014 - 02:15 PM, said:

It's actually standard practice. You think Blizzard doesn't use money from WoW to fund other projects? Rly?

Or the Limited, doesn't use funds from Abercrombie and Fitch at Victorias Secret, or vice versa?

That, and regardless of what PGI has or hasn't done with MWO, it is a company and I'd imagine sticking too long a single project will only stagnate them. Now, I want PGI to keep working on MWO, but to be frank they've left a lot of core features very late. Time will tell if they still have the drive to finish. Regardless of the fact I won't be playing their new game (unless it does manage to be different from the rest of the space sims), a company has to survive, and they've obviously deemed having a second project running parallel is going to help them keep going.

#36 Kirkland Langue

• Bad Company
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:35 PM

Number of issues brought up here. I'll only respond because I care about one of them.

1. Forum Moderation - who cares? Seriously though, Forum Moderation doesn't matter one way or the other. If the product is good then you'll use it without bothering with the forums; if the product is bad then it doesn't matter how good the forum experience is.

2. Using funds from one project to fund a second project. Once again, so? It doesn't matter to me what they do with the money I've spent on project #1, as long as that project is fulfilling my expectations of it.

3. Future of MWO - In reality, I feel dumb coming back to MWO. I left at the end of Closed Beta, sick of PGI breaking promises but returned because I heard that Community Warfare was finally being implemented (I was told August, obviously that was wrong). No amount of new Mechs or Maps will change this. desync is annoying, and the UI is horrible - but none of that surpasses the repeatedly broken promises of a delivery on Community Warfare. MWO still has potential but, without Community Warfare, the game is little more than a B-grade FPS with no PvE content.

#37 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:41 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 08 September 2014 - 01:18 PM, said:

Collisions will be back soon

4 pillars

CW 90 days after OB

Soon™

Bush lied

Bring back eight-track tapes

Remember the Alamo

View PostKirkland Langue, on 08 September 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

I heard that Community Warfare was finally being implemented (I was told August, obviously that was wrong).

Yep, PGI never promised that. Planetary warfare was scheduled for fall as early as last Christmas.

(And no, I don't care how it was scheduled before that. I got over that months ago, like a normal person.)

#38 ZealotTheFallen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:42 PM

To answer OP. Yes it is now on life support and doesn't look good for game or PGI. Respect for Russ or Paul is gone from the world, that I would bet my life savings on.

#39 Reitrix

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:46 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 September 2014 - 02:15 PM, said:

Blizzard would be ******** not to throw WoW profits at other games. How do you think Hearthstone and HOTS came about? XD

#40 Kirkland Langue

• Bad Company
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:48 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 08 September 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:

(And no, I don't care how it was scheduled before that. I got over that months ago, like a normal person.)

"like a normal person" - bit of a passive aggressive remark meant to put down anyone who remembers back when Community Warfare was going to be added before the game ever "launched".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users