The Solaris Arena Thread - Should It Happen?

33 replies to this topic

#1 headclot

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:07 PM

Hey everyone,

So Solaris arena was mentioned in the Town hall meeting as a suggestion. With PGI in full control of MWO not IGP.

Should they work on a Solaris arena game mode post Community Warfare and UI 2.0 work is done.

#2 MadMaxMKII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 275 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:34 PM

this would be so awesome. hopefully with a possibility to join matches as spectator.

#3 Kaspirikay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:01 AM

yes solaris

#4 Lynx7725

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:07 AM

Yes please. Those who can't adapt to battlefield conditions can have their fun in the Solaris Arena, those who prefer to fight on battlefield can fight against others with similar preferences.

It'll split the user base, but it's hard to gauge the effect on the wait times IMO.

#5 Fooooo

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus.

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:58 AM

View PostLynx7725, on 09 September 2014 - 12:07 AM, said:

Yes please. Those who can't adapt to battlefield conditions can have their fun in the Solaris Arena, those who prefer to fight on battlefield can fight against others with similar preferences.

It'll split the user base, but it's hard to gauge the effect on the wait times IMO.

Im sure you would find a lot of unit players participating in the solaris tournys. Especially if there are decent prizes and also if there is more than just 1v1 or FFA. (IE team battles up to 5v5 or something in the arenas etc)

Random solaris battles maybe not so much I guess but still, I'd say everyone would play around in it in some form so I don't agree that it would split the playerbase in a totalitarian? way.

IE I don't think you will see 1/3 the playbase only play solaris and 1/3 only play non-solaris and 1/3 only play CW etc etc etc.

Edited by Fooooo, 09 September 2014 - 12:59 AM.

#6 Lupin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 955 posts
  • LocationKent, UK.

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:14 AM

I would like solaris with a good rating/achievement system. And Duncan fisher is MUST.

Also think it would be good for newer players and give MWO another avenue to explore.

#7 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:28 AM

Yes, absolutely! There's a lot of interest, it would be fairly cheap for PGI to do, and it would open up a whole new range of potential challenges and competitions.

Plus, George Ledoux is still doing MW stuff out of the kindness of his heart, so I can't imagine he would ask too much money for this job. (The Duncan Fisher guy)

Edited by Nicolai Kabrinsky, 09 September 2014 - 01:29 AM.

#8 ZeusAlbatros

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 23 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:08 AM

Add spectators to every map and mabye a wall around the map border BAM instant Solaris...

#9 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:13 AM

i think it would be great, with solaris specific maps, yeah i would rather have more community warfare maps but in a perfect world i would want lots of both. spectators could place bets with c-bills, but also i would really hope close combat was implemented if we ever get solaris.

#10 Hades Trooper

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationWillow Tree, NSW

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:14 AM

bring it on

#11 Kain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationZenith-Jumppoint, Tukayyid

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:48 AM

If they want to bring the e-sports aspect into the game they should definitely bring solaris into the game.
With solaris specific ranking ladders/leagues and leaderboards.

but i don't mind if they would focus on a singleplayer campaign/pve mode post CW (which also Russ mentioned as good feature)

#12 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:54 AM

If you haven't noticed, We are already doing Solaris style fighting. We gain no ground, no factories, no Power. Just money and fame. What more are you looking for? :huh:

#13 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:21 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 09 September 2014 - 03:54 AM, said:

If you haven't noticed, We are already doing Solaris style fighting. We gain no ground, no factories, no Power. Just money and fame. What more are you looking for? :huh:

I get what you're saying, but this sort of posting is really counter-productive, in my opinion. Whether people are asking for role warfare, community warfare, Solaris, stock mech mode, or a number of other big additions to the game, that would all help generate new interest and revenue, there's always some dude who goes: "Nah, we already have that."

Some people say it sincerely, others ironically. Regardless, I think it's better to show support for other players who want to encourage new content, rather than suggesting we have all we need right now.

I'm sure you feel the same way when you discuss your desire to see more realistic warfare with multiple objectives, to show what warfare in the 31st Century is supposed to look like... and then someone comes back with "But we already have Conquest mode and artillery consumables."

#14 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:24 AM

He asked. I answered. In a thread asking for opinions, I will provide on if I have one. If I was rude that was not intended. But the games we play now only require crowd cheering to make it a true Solaris experience. Oh and a Play by Play announcer.

#15 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:35 AM

+1

I think additional game modes will add more life, energy, players and revenue to the franchise. Just my opinion though.

If PGI can make this a game worth playing for more than the instant action on the field during a match then I think they will see more people playing, greater retention of players over the longer term and more spending on an individual basis.

#16 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:43 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 09 September 2014 - 03:54 AM, said:

Hi,

Although you are correct and we already are already essentially playing team arena battles ... simply due to the limitation of the maps (and lack of CW) ... it isn't Solaris :) ... and I don't believe it is what the OP is referring to.

Essentially, Solaris is an arena battle with options for more than 2 teams. Anything from a complete free for all ... to 4 teams of 6, 8 teams of 3, 12 teams of 2 ... or the 2 teams of 12 that we already have.

I think that the biggest problem with new game modes might be the fragmentation of the player queues. Depending on how many people are actively playing, the game may or may not be able to support additional game mode options. I certainly hope it will but I can see potential problems if there aren't enough people interested in particular game modes to keep the queues filled.

Edited by Mawai, 09 September 2014 - 04:43 AM.

#17 Blakkstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:47 AM

Solaris should have been the first round of CW. It could have driven the entire early development of the game and given it some direction. Mech stables for "clans" (in the MMO sense), popular maps already built for PGI that just need coded into the game, more flexibility for game modes, easy to implement leaderboards, the whole MMO marketing style of specials and promotions would fit perfectly.

Player lobbies could be set up by arena or by Solaris City district. There could be a built-in Twitch or livestream viewer in the interface for spectators. Maybe even shops where players could run an in-game economy instead of just buying and selling to the computer at fixed prices.

It's depressing to think what this game could be with just a little direction and effort. It would have even saved PGI development time because they could have just cracked open the Solaris sourcebooks instead of trying to design the game modes and maps from scratch.

#18 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:53 AM

I want it! Glory is waiting the MechWarriors brave enough to try!

I would make it this way: Solaris Arena is a game mode; specifically designed arena-like maps, probabably small ones: >"Jungle Arena", "industrial arena", "Colosseum Arena" , etc. I see lot of reusable assets for them.

Random matches ("quick match") would be 1vs1, and players should be able to join as a spectator. You should earn loyalty points if you win as you are representing your faction. Specific items could be unlocked.
Battles like 5vs5 could be by invite only, basically a private lobby with rewards.

EDIT: oh, and of course DUNCAN FISHER!

Bonus thing: if your faction owns Solaris in CW, you should get a bonus to your rewards ;)

Edited by CyclonerM, 09 September 2014 - 08:15 AM.

#19 UnsafePilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:54 AM

I'd like me some free for all arena.

#20 Blakkstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:14 AM

View PostMawai, on 09 September 2014 - 04:43 AM, said:

I think that the biggest problem with new game modes might be the fragmentation of the player queues. Depending on how many people are actively playing, the game may or may not be able to support additional game mode options. I certainly hope it will but I can see potential problems if there aren't enough people interested in particular game modes to keep the queues filled.

That can be handled easily enough. Use the Halo method of bundling several game modes into a larger playlist (Lone Wolves, Team Slayer, Big Team Battle, etc), or just have players set soft preferences that MM can override to fill games. You only get into problems if players are allowed to choose single game modes where there is no overlap. There's queue segmentation right now because players can turn off game modes they don't like. I don't see more game modes as any sort of obstacle.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users