The Solaris Arena Thread - Should It Happen?

33 replies to this topic

#21 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:21 AM

Solaris should eventually happen. But not after community warfare.

We still need role warfare and information warfare after community warfare.

#22 SaltBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:22 AM

Yes, Solaris must be a part of this game. Solaris in MW4 was the best part of that game when c-bills were low.

#23 Solomon Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:26 AM

Melee

Death From Above

than Solaris

and i am happy.

#24 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:13 AM

1v1's are quite fun and it would definitely be a great addition to the game to have that support built in. I have quite a few vids from our Blazing Aces tourney a while back in this playlist:
https://www.youtube....prvqUQqMahhoSv6

#25 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:04 AM

I don't think we'll see it for quite a while. Keep in mind that with more and more 'game modes' to play (Russ confirmed fighting for planets in CW and pugging with mixed IS/Clan tech will be two separate things), the playerbase within each mode decreases significantly, and that means longer wait times, etc..

#26 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:31 AM

Eventually, yes, and that's where unlimited customizable machines belong - in the Solaris Arena.

#27 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:39 AM

View PostSaltBeef, on 09 September 2014 - 05:22 AM, said:

Yes, Solaris must be a part of this game. Solaris in MW4 was the best part of that game when c-bills were low.

That was always my favorite part of MW4: Mercenaries too. As soon as it was available I completed all the available tiers.

Nothing like that "oh ****" moment when you see that you have been spawned with a Fafnir and Warhawk right in front of you.

#28 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:05 AM

View PostKhobai, on 09 September 2014 - 05:21 AM, said:

Solaris should eventually happen. But not after community warfare.

We still need role warfare and information warfare after community warfare.

Role warfare and information warfare are great concepts ... but I don't see any concrete plans on how to make it happen. You can't make players drive a certain mech in a certain way ... you can only provide the tools.

What are the tools in this case?

- improved experience tress so that you can make a mech excel at a certain role ... bonuses to module/weapons/maneuverability/armor/toughness ... so that by choosing to spend your experience in a certain way you are then able to pilot a mech to fulfill a role

- reward bonuses (better and more thought out than the current ones) that will reward players for taking actions associated with a role ... for example ... currently good use of a UAV can strongly influence the outcome of a match ... but the match rewards for using one are generally pitiful ... a few cbills and some xp that is generally useless if you have already mastered the mech. In addition, anyone can use one equally ... there is no role here ... I can pop one from my Jester or Atlas as easily as from my Jenner. Scout mechs need bonuses to the use of scout modules ... a reduction in cost to start for example with to go with the role. (If you ignore premium time and bonus cbills ... using a UAV can sacrifice 1/3 to 1/2 of your average earnings in a typical match).

- mech quirks to support role behaviours ... not to force people to use the mech that way but to make it beneficial for folks to do so.

Anyway, although role and information warfare are part of the original "dream" ... I think there are higher priority and more fundamental issues that should be addressed before (or in conjunction with) features that support different roles in the game.

#29 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:27 PM

We technically got 1v1 Solaris, but I'd much prefer a 4v4 or free for all 8 mech Solaris mode.

#30 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:50 AM

Who can forget?

#31 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:00 AM

View PostMadMaxMKII, on 08 September 2014 - 11:34 PM, said:

this would be so awesome. hopefully with a possibility to join matches as spectator.

only if betting.

#32 The Silent Protagonist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 647 posts
  • LocationUK, Buckinghamshire

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:15 AM

Solaris is something I'd love to see! It'd give an opportunity to add something which I have always felt this game sorely lacked: Small lance vs lance games. Don't get me wrong, I love mass 'mech war as much as the next mechwarrior but the most fun I have in this game is when my lance and I get engaged on our own by a similar sized force. Whether we win or lose the fight, it's always close-fought and more importantly fun.

What would be interesting in my mind is if the rewards for Solaris games were jacked way up, but you would have to pay drop costs and repairs, like it was back in beta; adding a further level of depth to lance composition and risk vs. reward. Tonnage limits a must, of course.

#33 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:27 AM

View PostThe Silent Protagonist, on 13 January 2017 - 10:15 AM, said:

Solaris is something I'd love to see! It'd give an opportunity to add something which I have always felt this game sorely lacked: Small lance vs lance games. Don't get me wrong, I love mass 'mech war as much as the next mechwarrior but the most fun I have in this game is when my lance and I get engaged on our own by a similar sized force. Whether we win or lose the fight, it's always close-fought and more importantly fun.

What would be interesting in my mind is if the rewards for Solaris games were jacked way up, but you would have to pay drop costs and repairs, like it was back in beta; adding a further level of depth to lance composition and risk vs. reward. Tonnage limits a must, of course.

To expand upon this idea. What if the next MW:O tournament were held in a Solaris Arena instead of 8v8 matches?

#34 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:42 PM

Solaris is about the only thing that would get me to come back at this point.

And I mean a full on FFA mode solaris with some form of automated commentary.

But at this point, I expect that I have played my last MWO match. PGI just doesn't have the ability to deliver.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users