Electing A Player "council" Of Sorts

1306 replies to this topic

#641 KraftySOT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:11 PM

And I think most of the most mentioned people here all have great ideas. Stjobe's heat article from last November is excellent.

So long as theres people out there familiar with the Btech arc of progress, and at least aware of Megamek, im satisfied. Between most of the front runners, theres alot of good articles. I dont agree with every one of them, but all of them are well written, and are referencing the TT as well as coming up with out of the box ideas for how to really take the game to the next level.

This is a great idea, and will really pay dividends for the community imho.

#642 Dragcos

• Pip
  • The Merciless
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBush

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:12 PM

"Pay to balance? lol That is a horrible idea. "

Interesting, very badly done on your part I did not state anything about pay to balance. Warframe is doing fine with Design Council, in fact it's player base is larger then MWO's.

Let me put this in another way for u. The Council should have the ability to suggest changes but not the power to force changes, that is a Very bad idea, Look at MQEL, they listened to their vocal player base and balanced to what the most posts where saying needed to change or "balancing." This destroyed the game balance and many of the founders left.

The council should not have any power to make any changes but be able to be heard more so then other players ergo listening to your core player base, your core players will spend more money then your regular f2p players. So having a council that Anyone can be part of, all they have to do is pay some cash get mc and the ability to be heard is much better then a "popular" vote. IMO.

#643 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:21 PM

Well that came and went quickly.

But to answer that dudes question. I believe the idea of the player council (or at least the long term goal) is to eventually put an end to tweaks entirely. New systems may need to be tweaked, but after a pass of player council attention, you should be in a more balanced position than you were before, so theres no need for refunds or some silly thing like that.

I dont think you get a refund because you bought a 6 PPC stalker and player council leads to a 30 heat scale ala btech and its not feasible anymore.

The whole point of the player council, I think, is to attain a balance that fleshes out the pillars of the game. Namelythe role warfare. You wont have your lrm boat made useless all of a sudden one patch for no reason. The goal is to make all the possible builds viable and balanced within the game. Which of course makes stuff you might have bought viable, and makes all the other mechs you might have wanted but never bought because you enjoy winning, attractive.

Id think when this is finished, youd want to spend more money, not get a refund. *shrug*

Ive been wanting to drop money on this game for years, and just cant bring myself to do it because every few months is some disaster that makes its way to reddit.

I finally decided to get involved in the forums. Cant whine if you dont participate.

Edited by KraftySOT, 14 September 2014 - 12:23 PM.

#644 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:25 PM

And I seem to understand that, the player council, will do its damnedest to try and see out every eventuality of any proposed changes.

And failing that, Russ or a dev would step in and say "But how does your plan effect ______" and it might be back to the drawing board.

This is FAR superior to having a publisher make these decisions based on projections that have nothing to do with the desires of the people actually playing, or who want to play but dont.

#645 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:34 PM

First I missed out on Prom King. Now no nominations for this?!

;)

#646 shadowfax21

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:36 PM

colonel pada Vinson

#647 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:41 PM

View PostKraftySOT, on 14 September 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:

Well that came and went quickly.

But to answer that dudes question. I believe the idea of the player council (or at least the long term goal) is to eventually put an end to tweaks entirely. New systems may need to be tweaked, but after a pass of player council attention, you should be in a more balanced position than you were before, so theres no need for refunds or some silly thing like that.

I dont think you get a refund because you bought a 6 PPC stalker and player council leads to a 30 heat scale ala btech and its not feasible anymore.

The whole point of the player council, I think, is to attain a balance that fleshes out the pillars of the game. Namelythe role warfare. You wont have your lrm boat made useless all of a sudden one patch for no reason. The goal is to make all the possible builds viable and balanced within the game. Which of course makes stuff you might have bought viable, and makes all the other mechs you might have wanted but never bought because you enjoy winning, attractive.

Id think when this is finished, youd want to spend more money, not get a refund. *shrug*

Ive been wanting to drop money on this game for years, and just cant bring myself to do it because every few months is some disaster that makes its way to reddit.

I finally decided to get involved in the forums. Cant whine if you dont participate.

I know this is a troll topic but im taking the bait anyway lol. What do you mean cant complain unless the players what? Anyone, even F2P can either play this game or not depending if they like it, maybe some see improvments that should be made etc, but replying on the forums doesnt make any more difference than anyone just having fun in the game and not posting.

This is an excellent example of the attitude that happens when some think others cant complain or what ever their opion might be. I am of course talking legit players and not negative trolls trying to start more negativity.

The whole idea is silly.

#648 DeRazer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:25 PM

Konivig for me.

#649 Crohnic

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

I have no idea if the outcome of a player council to resolve the ECM issue will be successful or not, but I see it as a great opportunity for everyone involved. Even if this turns out with mixed results, it should be seen as a positive for both players and PGI. Perhaps even a chance to do something to build upon in the future. Using this kind of structure to improve the game may not be perfect, but what is? And why not make an attempt help a resource limited developer who has plenty on their plate already?

Koniving
Homeless Bill
Roland
Roadbeer
Rasc4l

#650 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:44 PM

I will accept any nominations for me. Thank you.

I'll be running on the "Say No to HoverJets" campaign.

Edited by ArchMage Sparrowhawk, 14 September 2014 - 01:47 PM.

#651 Kaijin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

I know PGI said no polls, but I have to wonder why the heck not? Or maybe this council could come up with all the gripes against ECM in it's current form, throw up a non-anonymous poll with them as options, and then see if there's a majority opinion on what is wrong with ECM. Then the council could come up with what a vaiety of things ECM should do, and those can be thrown into a non-anonymous poll, and again we could get a majority opinion on that.

In any event, this council must have half of it's members be in support of LRMs as a viable weapon in MWO, otherwise it'll just be a kangaroo council.

#652 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:12 PM

View PostHeffay, on 12 September 2014 - 01:31 PM, said:

The forums aren't representative of the player base. Never have been, never will be. The forums only represent the people who have nothing better to do than post on forums.

95% of the player base never even comes here. 95% of the council should match that demographic.

So 95% percent of the council should be uninvolved, uninformed, and unaware of many game mechanics?

#653 vettie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 1,620 posts
  • LocationThe Good Ole South

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:30 PM

I see a lot of the same names posting in this thread.

I would hope, given this opportunity from PGI, that we, the players, would make the best of it and select players that would represent what is best for the game.

I would like to suggest the following players

Lusankya
Redshift2k5
Reno Blade
Homeless Bill
Saxie

Thanx to PGI for giving us this opportunity

edited for spelling

Edited by vettie, 14 September 2014 - 03:30 PM.

#654 Valcoer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII Silesia

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:47 PM

who does the electing?

#655 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:05 PM

View PostValcoer, on 14 September 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

who does the electing?

Russ said something about Tuesday for a poll.

#656 vettie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 1,620 posts
  • LocationThe Good Ole South

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:08 PM

View PostValcoer, on 14 September 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

who does the electing?

basically, for what I can see, we nominate players / members and then a POLL will possibly be set up to vote for the nominees.

So, to answer you directly, nominate people you think would do a good job.

#657 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:41 PM

No disrespect for anyone that has been 'nominated' by this thread, but this is just a popularity contest. Do we really need to jump through all these hoops just to have people say "Make it like TT but add those active/passive sensors from that other MW game"? PGI can easily find proposals to ECM in a ton of past threads. I really fail to see the point of all this. What people have been suggesting (from what I have seen) are complete rewrites of several core mechanics. Do people really think they are going to redesign the game at this point?

#658 LCCX

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:49 PM

View PostDavers, on 14 September 2014 - 04:41 PM, said:

No disrespect for anyone that has been 'nominated' by this thread, but this is just a popularity contest. Do we really need to jump through all these hoops just to have people say "Make it like TT but add those active/passive sensors from that other MW game"? PGI can easily find proposals to ECM in a ton of past threads. I really fail to see the point of all this. What people have been suggesting (from what I have seen) are complete rewrites of several core mechanics. Do people really think they are going to redesign the game at this point?

Several suggestions have not involved complete rewrites of core mechanics.

The point of the council is to follow Russ's suggestion/request to form one in order to better facilitate communication between PGI and the community (at least the part of the community that wants to be heard), starting with considering the balance issue(s) around ECM *and only ECM*. In a way, it is for its own sake. However, there is some future hope of better community and a better game to be found in the council's success.

#659 Richard Hardslab

• Pip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:53 PM

I vote for Peiper

#660 nonnex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:00 PM

The community, here the "com"
com want to have changes, com want to have a voice, com want what they want, com want to have some individuals to speak for them, com want a lot of things, com dont know what they want, com is jealous, com is pride, com lies, com is truthfulness, com is an animal.

Edited by nonnex, 14 September 2014 - 05:04 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users