13 replies to this topic

#1 mongo2006

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis Mo. USA

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:26 PM

I live in the USA where governments, congress, senators, and other elected officials no-longer do the peoples bidding but rather do what's in their best interest. MWO has no traceable representation as it is, with months of forum ninjas fighting over various topics getting us nowhere, now some of you want to elect a council to decide the fate of my gaming experience behind closed doors? Hell NO.

I have no faith that a hand full of people can accurately represent my wishes for this game. I would rather have the opportunity to represent myself with a VOTE. This is the only way I can assure that my wishes and the wishes of others for that matter are fully and accurately represented.

A voting process is the only way that we can be assured that we don't suffer from being dragged through the mud of stupidity by the elected or the most popular, political factions would have no power to unbalance the game for one faction or the other. PGI would be forced to have a policy of transparency because they have no council to influence, not saying they would, but I would relieve them of the opportunity as a precaution.

If PGI went against the popular vote they would at least be compelled to explain why, not so with a council, it would just be another IPG vs PGI situation, one pointing the finger at the other.

Transparency alone would be enough to say NO to a council. But the feeling of inclusion in the direction of this game that is quite capable of consuming the next 5 years of my free time demands that (I) represent myself.

All votes should be able to be visually counted.. not just some big numbers on a web page.. sorry I write many scripting languages we need to be assured that 1 vote isn't 1.5 votes dictated by simple variables in the sql or write statement. Lets keep it real.

#2 KraftySOT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:29 PM

To be fair, all of the people being nominated, have thousands of posts, and post multiple times a day, about the issues that are being discussed, and have all written lengthy articles and had lengthy discussions over them, all in this forum, in public.

Pretty sure thats as transparent as you can get brah.

Edited by KraftySOT, 14 September 2014 - 12:29 PM.

#3 Targetloc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 963 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:29 PM

Well, you're in luck, friend.

The point of the council is to parse down a nearly infinite number of possible ideas into a few distinct proposals so that the community at large can vote on it.

#4 mongo2006

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:36 PM

View PostTargetloc, on 14 September 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

Well, you're in luck, friend.

The point of the council is to parse down a nearly infinite number of possible ideas into a few distinct proposals so that the community at large can vote on it.

I understand that bro.. but PGI will only do what they can actually do with the framework of the game. As a programmer myself they will only have 2-3 options at any given time, easily presented to the community. So it matters not if there are millions of ideas, PGI already know what they can and are willing to do. Those 2-3 options are what we need to vote on.

Edited by mongo2006, 14 September 2014 - 12:46 PM.

#5 mongo2006

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:43 PM

View PostKraftySOT, on 14 September 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

To be fair, all of the people being nominated, have thousands of posts, and post multiple times a day, about the issues that are being discussed, and have all written lengthy articles and had lengthy discussions over them, all in this forum, in public.

Well I appreciate they may have spent hours and hours of posting, but what does that have to do with what I want or for that matter what YOU want.. Is it fair that my representation is is taken away and given to someone that I have never agreed with on any of their posts? I don't think so and some of the best ideas have come from people who have less than 10 post.

Some people get tired of some of the crazy ideas and rants and offer some of the best solutions coming from years of play.. I don't think the fact that a person has 6000 post is an automatic qualification to represent me or anyone else for that matter.

#6 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:47 PM

View PostKraftySOT, on 14 September 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

#7 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:59 PM

View Postmongo2006, on 14 September 2014 - 12:26 PM, said:

I have no faith that a hand full of people can accurately represent my wishes for this game.

Then for you, nothing will change. Did you feel that you could accurately represent your wishes for the game before? That seems very naive, to imply that the developers are more open to your suggestions.

PGI has a track record of not listening to feedback and/or just listening to the loudest whiners. The majority of changes up to this point have done nothing except anger the community and introduce more gameplay problems the community neither needed, nor wanted. All to appease the vocal minority that would then immediately start complaining about the next thing.

If you were part of this vocal minority, then yes, you won't have as much influence over the game.

Here's the thing:

View Postmongo2006, on 14 September 2014 - 12:26 PM, said:

...represent my wishes for this game.

It isn't about YOUR wishes for the game. It's about the community's wishes for the game. I (just like everybody else) have our own visions of the perfect MechWarrior game. It will be up to the community spokesmen to suggest changes that the overwhelming majority of the community wants, and it may not (correction: WILL NOT) line up with everybody's personal vision.

The best part about the whole thing, is these aren't permanent employees. If the community as a whole doesn't have faith in some of the spokesmen, or some of them attempt to get things changed that go against the community's wishes, then they can simply be replaced, right then and there.

#8 Rick Rawlings

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:06 PM

I will be on the council. Then I can warn them (fruitlessly, I'm sure) about the impending Cylon attack.

#9 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:19 PM

View PostRick Rawlings, on 14 September 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

I will be on the council. Then I can warn them (fruitlessly, I'm sure) about the impending Cylon attack.

But what if Paul is a Cylon?

#10 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:22 PM

A council just opens up a whole new line of crud to fight over. Ideas can be presented here and trends can be followed. If PGI needs to reach out to us then let it be all of us. I get the whole thing about understanding the subject matter but a council does nothing to raise awareness to the masses. It just excludes them more than right now.

Bringing it to the body of the game would interest more people to learn and understand. There is no downside to that. Unless more informed players is bad.

#11 Mothykins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:23 PM

You seem to have missed what the counsel is actually for: taking all the complaints, looking at how everything works, and coming up with solutions for the community to vote on.

This post is disruptive, misinformed, and stupid.

You can't rightly think that throwing random ideas at it will actuality work.

Edited by Cavale, 14 September 2014 - 01:24 PM.

#12 mongo2006

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

View PostCavale, on 14 September 2014 - 01:23 PM, said:

You seem to have missed what the counsel is actually for: taking all the complaints, looking at how everything works, and coming up with solutions for the community to vote on.

This post is disruptive, misinformed, and stupid.

You can't rightly think that throwing random ideas at it will actuality work.

Trust me dude I know what a counsel is and does.. if PGI can't handle or deal with our wishes, what makes you think some unpaid, bunch of guys can when they don't have the data that PGI has. You're right random ideas are a waist of time.. But PGI giving the community a few ideas that we can vote on will work.

#13 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:56 PM

If PGI really wanted a consensus they would just put a poll up. Not sure what a "council" will do that a poll wont do better.

#14 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:49 PM

View PostRick Rawlings, on 14 September 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

The council does not want to hear your warmongering!

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users