Banned Players

192 replies to this topic

#1 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:26 PM

Well we have told you it's a fresh start since the return of all the publishing rights from IGP and were really just 1 week into that process now. Between the town hall, CW post and follow up post, increased forum activity, and the potential to work with the community on some design feedback starting with ECM. I think were off to a good start and I hope you do to.

Part of a fresh start is to give others a second chance as well. I have been mulling this over all weekend and have come up with a process I would like to try.

I had a new email created called: feedback@piranhagames.com

STOP! please don't do it. Don't start spamming that address with every thought. If this address gets bombarded with every design idea and thought players have in an uncontrolled fashion it will severely impact my ability to use the email account for meaningful initiatives.

I will be using this address to help with the growing player initiative to provide feedback and design input around ECM.

But in this thread I want to discuss how past players who have been banned may email me directly, discuss their situation with me and request their ban be removed. I felt this was the best approach as I didn't want to just blanket unban everyone and then have people present that really didn't want to participate and help in this new era.

Again I am not doing this with any interest at all in raising the toxicity of the forums but to possibly invite players back that want to get involved in helping MWO continue to evolve and grow. Although the players coming back will be given a full new opportunity, I wouldn't describe it as a complete new slate, if they immediately turn to negativity without trying to be constructive there return will be short.

So if you see someone back on the forums after a long break, just welcome them back and enjoy discussing the upcoming features such as CW.

I believe the email address is active right now - for now I should only be getting emails from those players that would like to request return.

#2 DrXitomatl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 138 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:32 PM

Thanks for your continued involvement with the community

#3 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:32 PM

I think this is a smart move and shows a new leaf.

#4 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:34 PM

Nice move Russ. Two thumbs up.

#5 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:45 PM

Who are you, and what have you done with Russ?

I mean, Clan weapon balance changes that were actually pretty reasonable and even improved a couple weapons' usability (poor pulse lasers notwithstanding), the ECM player initiative thingy (which is sort of evil genius, IMHO), actual dropship mode really coming, this...?

:blink:

I really, really like the new PGI. Thanks.

#6 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:52 PM

It remains to be seen if it is what you say it is, and what you actually mean.

#7 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:55 PM

72 page document standing by.

Lol

I'm joking...can you imagine?

It's actually 73. :D

#8 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:55 PM

Interesting.

I hope those who return show they want to be part of the community, not just be a problem. But still a needed move, regardless.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 15 September 2014 - 06:49 AM.

#9 Prezimonto

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:00 PM

I too will be interested to see how this pans out. I know there's a few who likely will make good use of this.

I'm also happy to hear that the email is there for direct help in working to set up community involvement with ECM changes. That's potentially very useful, if it's not so over spammed that important issues can be rapidly dealt with by Russ.

Edited by Prezimonto, 14 September 2014 - 07:10 PM.

#10 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:14 PM

I really hope this gets used appropriately, I think it's a good idea! :)

#11 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:18 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 14 September 2014 - 06:52 PM, said:

It remains to be seen if it is what you say it is, and what you actually mean.

Posted Image

mmm, hmm, yes. remains to be seen it does.

#12 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:23 PM

Personally, I like the fact that this opportunity for a return comes with a sort of probation (as stated . . . not necessarily a clean slate). That atmosphere around the forums, especially with all of the improved communications from PGI, has improved significantly. Anyone who wants to return, but doesn't want to be part of something constructive or positive for MWO's future, really doesn't need to be around.

However, that said, the fact that PGI is extending this olive branch to people who may have been disillusioned in the past is a very noble thing to do.

In other facets . . . I like the fact that we're going to be working towards rebuilding/tuning some game aspects between PGI and the community. I hope that email address isn't bombed into oblivion, because I would love to see it put to good use. For ECM (since it's been brought up), making it so that ECM slows target locks and only allows minimum targeting data (like using a UAV), would be a wonderful change of pace and far more akin to what ECM was like in lore.

#13 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:24 PM

I haven't been playing at all but i've seen a change on the forums that makes me interested in playing again.

#14 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:41 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 14 September 2014 - 06:26 PM, said:

But in this thread I want to discuss how past players who have been banned may email me directly, discuss their situation with me and request their ban be removed. I felt this was the best approach as I didn't want to just blanket unban everyone and then have people present that really didn't want to participate and help in this new era.

Posted Image

Edited by ThisMachineKillsFascists, 16 September 2014 - 01:32 AM.

#15 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:44 PM

So if you see someone back on the forums after a long break, just welcome them back and enjoy discussing the upcoming features such as CW.

Could you pass that onto your mods? They didn't get the memo previously and had been banning people for giving criticism 'without playing the game recently'.

#16 orcrist86

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:44 PM

This is a good move, and hopefully will provide a bridge for some to return who would like to. For those looking to return, welcome back, lets get things done together.

#17 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:45 PM

Awesome idea, I hope we don't bugger this up. Greatly appreciate you taking the time and effort.

#18 L Y N X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 629 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:48 PM

Classy! Let's hope any that reach for the Amnesty Brass ring will be classy as well.

#19 Cmdr Rad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:48 PM

Well we have told you it's a fresh start since the return of all the publishing rights from IGP and were really just 1 week into that process now. Between the town hall, CW post and follow up post, increased forum activity, and the potential to work with the community on some design feedback starting with ECM. I think were off to a good start and I hope you do to.

Part of a fresh start is to give others a second chance as well. I have been mulling this over all weekend and have come up with a process I would like to try.

(snip)

Again I am not doing this with any interest at all in raising the toxicity of the forums but to possibly invite players back that want to get involved in helping MWO continue to evolve and grow. Although the players coming back will be given a full new opportunity, I wouldn't describe it as a complete new slate, if they immediately turn to negativity without trying to be constructive there return will be short.

(snip)

Russ, I think this is a rather magnanimous gesture. But you should just blanket unban everyone (Except for those who were banned for spamming, real life threats, or other bans that relate to real world crimes).

Two Reasons:
  • The way it may be taken is that you want them to beg to come back on the forums. This drives away anybody who is stuck on their pride, though still may be a valuable contributor to the new process that PGI is attempting with their community.
  • What about the people banned who will return 6 or 8 months from now, unaware of this process? Wouldn't you rather they have found out that they were unbanned, and join in the new, vibrant community that will have been theoretically have been forged over all this goodwill?
Instead, what you can do is:
  • After separating the rest of the bans from the spammers and such, you mark all of the player accounts you plan to unban with the "Ban Amnesty" tag, or moderation group, or however you guys manage that stuff logistically.
  • You (Russ) then send a mass Private Message on the forums to this group, explaining why they were unbanned (Goodwill, fresh start, etc.), and that they are still to be careful despite this unbanning, as they're on probationary status until (Insert Date Here).
  • Should this be unmanageable somehow, you can even sort the player accounts to unban by game activity and money spent, since you have all this data linked. Then, if the banned player accounts meet those minimum requirements of game activity OR money spent, they will be unbanned automatically. Meeting either of those requirements demonstrates that they're not just some alt account, sock puppet, etc.
And that's how I'd do it Russ. Complete fresh start, the players can then return, and their accounts will be on probation for a time where they can be easily moderated if they go too far out of line. You guys have the databases and tools, it should be relatively easy. Don't let your magnanimous gesture get simply dismissed as a token gesture.

I mean, how many players did you ban exactly?

Edited by Cmdr Rad, 15 September 2014 - 10:28 PM.

#20 Jess Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 643 posts
  • LocationFrozen in Time Somewhere IDK?

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:49 PM

+1 to you Russ Bullock for being a stand up guy, answering 3 hours worth of questions last week on NGNG, and becoming your own publisher!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users