Non Useless Nova

70 replies to this topic

#61 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:49 PM

ahhh, i keep forgetting about coolshot. I need ot add that.

I don't like MGs so I don't waste my time with them and SPL, you get the extra 1 damage and sligt faster duration but you lose out on extra cooling of more DHS.

Edited by Bigbacon, 01 December 2014 - 01:51 PM.

#62 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:42 AM

View PostKain Thul, on 01 December 2014 - 01:38 PM, said:

Here's what I'm running:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e0d46113340a562

The DPS is just bananas and will send pretty much anyone running. The problem is the short range--I have to be aggressive and go in first and the Nova is like paper so typically I go in guns blazing, pop both of my coolshots and do 400-600 damage before I hit the heat cap a third and final time. It is usually a suicide run since I have to get so close......which is why I started thinking about CERSML instead.

I only used the build before the changes, its fun but very situational, on many maps you are useless if the battles take place in the wrong areas, but then there are those maps where you can go beat with it xD. Especially post change it should even be a bit better. CSPL are the horror of light mehchs, no freaky tricks of cheating hitreg as its happening to the ML. But you should put the ammo in the head. C-ERSL work fine too, a lot more heat efficient, but less pinpoint.

View PostBigbacon, on 01 December 2014 - 01:49 PM, said:

ahhh, i keep forgetting about coolshot. I need ot add that.

I don't like MGs so I don't waste my time with them and SPL, you get the extra 1 damage and sligt faster duration but you lose out on extra cooling of more DHS.

you also get more into heat issues, due to one more laser. 4 MG's go quite fine with the CSPL.

Edited by Lily from animove, 02 December 2014 - 06:44 AM.

#63 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:29 AM

You pretty much hit the nail on the head for why post-PL change I wanted to try this.

Right now the C-SPL is flat out the most efficient laser we have for D/H--compared to the stock Prime and its 12 C-ERMLs you give up 1 damage per laser but generate half as much heat and the damage occurs over .75 seconds.

Of course, there is one very serious drawback and that's the range. I guess I need to practice staying patient with this build as even with both LV 5 modules C-SPL is 182m "ideal range" and C-MG is 132m.

Running such a situational build will try your patience, that's for sure. It is fun seeing lights run away (and sometimes even bigger 'mechs) when they see your loadout and you get close to them.

I racked up 900 damage in forest colony in a very short period of time just trying to hold the entrance of the cave. Every time someone thought about coming out I got at least 3 arm salvos in them before they retreated and playing peekaboo like that gave me time to cool off.

#64 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 07 December 2014 - 02:33 PM

Just had my new high for the SPL/MG build on Viridian Bog, a good ambush map:

Posted Image

I pretty much wiped out their whole light lance. This build is just brutal against them, I love giving FIrestarter A a taste of their own medicine. THe smart ones run when they see your loadout.

#65 McHoshi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 December 2014 - 02:37 PM

6 CMl 4 CMg Rest double heatsinks Ammo and a Targeting Comp... <--- Killer Nova !

Posted Image

#66 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:07 PM

View PostRiverboat Sam, on 17 September 2014 - 10:32 PM, said:

The Stormcrow is what a medium mech should be.

Scat C - just sayin'

#67 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:32 AM

Has anyone tried using something like this: NVA-S

Basically sitting far off and poking at anything that doesn't have ER PPC or ER LL, until you run out of ammo and go pew pew with 6 poor-man's IS ML.

#68 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:45 AM

View PostKain Thul, on 07 December 2014 - 02:33 PM, said:

Just had my new high for the SPL/MG build on Viridian Bog, a good ambush map:

Posted Image

I pretty much wiped out their whole light lance. This build is just brutal against them, I love giving FIrestarter A a taste of their own medicine. THe smart ones run when they see your loadout.

yeah spl's are true light killers, since they do not suffer from the hitreg issues as much as CERML.

I am playing with 6 CERML and 6 SPL atm, of course not hte bets heat efficient build, but still I get soem range and I don't wanna miss the shiny yellow lasers xD

but ptobably we know now the role of the Nova: light hunting. basically lorewise Nova was invented to be an anti-infantry mech, and looks like SPL's are the weapon to go for the MWO infantry, aka lights.

Edited by Lily from animove, 11 December 2014 - 01:47 AM.

#69 michaelius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:54 PM

View PosteFTy, on 11 December 2014 - 01:32 AM, said:

Has anyone tried using something like this: NVA-S

Basically sitting far off and poking at anything that doesn't have ER PPC or ER LL, until you run out of ammo and go pew pew with 6 poor-man's IS ML.

I don't see a point in those AC2 - just put 2 ER LL in hands and you will have much nicer poking effect ;)

#70 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:06 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 11 December 2014 - 01:45 AM, said:

yeah spl's are true light killers, since they do not suffer from the hitreg issues as much as CERML.

I am playing with 6 CERML and 6 SPL atm, of course not hte bets heat efficient build, but still I get soem range and I don't wanna miss the shiny yellow lasers xD

but ptobably we know now the role of the Nova: light hunting. basically lorewise Nova was invented to be an anti-infantry mech, and looks like SPL's are the weapon to go for the MWO infantry, aka lights.

I love piloting this 'mech--almost every match someone spectating me says "holy **** look at how many SPLs" or "damn check out this NOVA with 16 weapons". I don't think people realize how much cooler they are than the CERML at the same tonnage. Eventually they will see me encounter someone and realize it is no troll build.

It seems very consistent too--it can just put out so much raw damage in a short period of time even if you make a positioning mistake (which is easy since you have to get so close) and it basically turns into a suicide run getting 1-2 guys first and doing 500 damage isn't hard to do with good aim and burning both cool shots.

On Mining Collective I got a bit too aggressive and dropped down from above to take out a DWF only to have some ECM buddies show up--in less than a minute of fighting I got 3 kills and 450 damage.

It seems in other 'mechs if I make a terrible mistake like that I'm lucky to put out 100 before they get me.

#71 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:07 AM

View Postmichaelius, on 11 December 2014 - 02:54 PM, said:

I don't see a point in those AC2 - just put 2 ER LL in hands and you will have much nicer poking effect ;)

My standard build with the -S has been 2x ERLL & 4x ER SL. I Elited it with this build. I just want to try something. I realize UAC2s might be better, but I already bought the AC2. At least they don't jam, and on chainfire you can fire them constantly, like a 900m range MG that actually does damage...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users