#61 FearNotDeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 305 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:25 AM

View PostMisterPlanetarian, on 10 October 2014 - 10:37 PM, said:

Thing is the KGC might also have variants that could mount 4xUAC5 for example which might warrant an XL to deal with the enormous ammo consumption.

Now If UAC5's get ghost heat put into them, which I'm predicting since a 100t mech using 4xUAC5 without penalties even if it's Inner Sphere is OP as hell especially with frontloaded UAC5's

What could be overpowered about basically a full auto ac20 with extreme range? Seriously though it should be really fun to give a test drive.

#62 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:49 AM

View PostIronLichRich, on 16 September 2014 - 11:25 AM, said:

I think if you run something similar to the clanbuster upgrade (2 gauss) you will be fine. But what are the thoughts on running an xl engine in a double ac20 king crab?

everything is speculation until we see the final model and know where the hitboxes are.

#63 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:24 AM

This thing will be like a 100 ton Stalker - think about the Dire Whale and I'm guessing the KGC will be close. As with any of the huge mechs, a STD will mean it can brawl better, but if your plan is to hang way back like a super-sized dual-gauss Jager, then an XL will probably be fine.

Me? I'll be running mine pretty much stock. Dual-AC20s, maybe a LPL (since I favor them...I know: it's weird). I'll see what the actual build-outs and hardpoints are, but this mech should be a lot of fun to brawl in.

#64 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:23 PM

I just pray its nice and wide while being very flat on top...

#65 SilentSooYun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 426 posts
  • LocationTikonov

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:14 PM

I don't think I would install an XL, because the whole thing looks like an LRM landing pad. The best that can be said is at least your legs should be protected from the rain. Also, the claw-guns look to be mounted so low that bringing them to bear exposes your entire torso. Maybe a range build with PPCs and/or LRMs would be safer with an XL... King Crab looks like it can hull-down like a Locust with those back-mounted weapons. Just watch for counter-battery fire with that vast catcher's mitt of a hull.

Of course, this is all speculation. Quirks haven't been announced, so far as I know, so they may just redress any issues with the large sides.

#66 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:25 AM

View PostChrona, on 24 September 2014 - 02:18 AM, said:

Going by the concept art, something tells me it's gonna have xbox huge legs and relatively tiny/balanced torso hitboxes. I hope I'm right.

Why? Well, let's say I fired up MML yesterday and managed to get dual AC/20 and an XL400 in...

EDIT: Also, I'm seriously hoping the ''pincers'' end up working like missile bay doors - not because I want that 10% damage reduction on my King Crab's arms, but because opening 'em up to reveal two autocannons is gonna look BADASS.

My guess is this thing will be capped near a 360 engine rating like the Atlas. Only the Boar's Head Atlas can do an XL400.

However, if we can cram that 400 in there... It should be easy to fix two AC20s and plenty of ammo, as well as a backup energy weapon. Plus, there would finally be a use for the XL400 besides the wubmaster.

Edited by Greenjulius, 25 November 2014 - 08:34 AM.

#67 Sandtiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 262 posts
  • LocationVernal Utah

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:36 AM

I think we should see some interesting builds upon release. I for one am thinking of the dual guass, with back up short range weaponry. Of course, as it has been said. This is all just speculation until we actually get some statistics. =]

#68 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:37 PM

View PostGreenjulius, on 25 November 2014 - 08:25 AM, said:

Plus, there would finally be a use for the XL400 besides the wubmaster.

I've been running the 400XL in 3 of my 6 BLRs for a while now, none of those 3 are pulseboats.

#69 SilentSooYun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 426 posts
  • LocationTikonov

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:57 PM

What I really want is an Energy slot in the head so I can mount a flamer. Fire breathing monster!

But really, a zombie slot can only help sell this Mech.

#70 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:58 AM

View PostSilentSooYun, on 26 November 2014 - 09:57 PM, said:

What I really want is an Energy slot in the head so I can mount a flamer.

Berserker. A 100-ton mech with 2xLPL, 1xERPPC, an AMS, an ECM, a head mounted flamer, 400XL with MASC (allows bursts of over 80 kph), and a 7-ton hatchet. Because a hatchet wielding, fire-breathing, monstrosity that doesn't show up on radar (and ignores missiles) coming at you with that kind of speed is scarey.

#71 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 27 November 2014 - 02:33 AM

View PostEscef, on 27 November 2014 - 12:58 AM, said:

Berserker. A 100-ton mech with 2xLPL, 1xERPPC, an AMS, an ECM, a head mounted flamer, 400XL with MASC (allows bursts of over 80 kph), and a 7-ton hatchet. Because a hatchet wielding, fire-breathing, monstrosity that doesn't show up on radar (and ignores missiles) coming at you with that kind of speed is scarey.

Lore wise ECM will not protect you from missiles, only from missiles carrying Artemis... which in this time period is rare =P

Also go look at the kodiak.

100 ton clan battlemech with 8 ER medium lasers, 1 ER large laser, 2 CS SRM 6, and 1 UAC 20 running 64 kph with max armour with mother fooking claws on both hands capable of ripping a mechs cockpit right out of the mech.

Or if that's not bad enough there is a variant* with enough jumpjets to make the jenner look like a joke and MASC so it can run about 80-ish kph... MASC also makes it able to claw at you faster and (I think, do not quote me here) makes it do more damage...

*It is a variant, even though it's a clan mech it doesn't make it automatically an omni mech, this is still a battlemech and instead of using alternate configurations as the technical term it uses instead variants

Edited by Nightshade24, 27 November 2014 - 02:33 AM.

#72 Apocryph0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 325 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:37 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 27 November 2014 - 02:33 AM, said:

Lore wise ECM will not protect you from missiles, only from missiles carrying Artemis... which in this time period is rare =P

Also go look at the kodiak.

100 ton clan battlemech with 8 ER medium lasers, 1 ER large laser, 2 CS SRM 6, and 1 UAC 20 running 64 kph with max armour with mother fooking claws on both hands capable of ripping a mechs cockpit right out of the mech.

Or if that's not bad enough there is a variant* with enough jumpjets to make the jenner look like a joke and MASC so it can run about 80-ish kph... MASC also makes it able to claw at you faster and (I think, do not quote me here) makes it do more damage...

*It is a variant, even though it's a clan mech it doesn't make it automatically an omni mech, this is still a battlemech and instead of using alternate configurations as the technical term it uses instead variants

Yup, Kodiak is a standard Battlemech, no omni. I still want one. For science.

#73 theta123

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:28 AM

Whats the maximum engine size the King crab can take?

#74 SilentSooYun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 426 posts
  • LocationTikonov

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:16 AM

View Posttheta123, on 27 November 2014 - 05:28 AM, said:

Whats the maximum engine size the King crab can take?

We don't know for certain yet.
Considering it's low canon speed, it's most probably going to share the Atlas' limitation of (IIRC) 360.

#75 theta123

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:27 AM

If it has 350, i am satisfied. As most of my builds use this engine

#76 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:45 PM

I was talking about the AMS. Also, "ignores" can simply mean "pays no attention to", not "immune to". If I ignore the fact that bleach is poisonous it will not make me magically survive drinking it.

And I'm aware of the Kodiak, been at TT since '87, I have a reasonable awareness of most pre-Dark Age mechs.

Edited by Escef, 27 November 2014 - 04:45 PM.

#77 Trickstick

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 11:23 AM

...with mother fooking claws on both hands capable of ripping a mechs cockpit right out of the mech.

The claws on a Kodiak are purely for aesthetic value, not combat effectiveness.

#78 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 29 November 2014 - 04:47 AM

View PostTrickstick, on 28 November 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:

The claws on a Kodiak are purely for aesthetic value, not combat effectiveness.

Thats not what I read from the battletech books.

And I think it would be at least better then a punch thrown by a mech due to physics.

#79 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 November 2014 - 04:54 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 29 November 2014 - 04:47 AM, said:

And I think it would be at least better then a punch thrown by a mech due to physics.

By game rules, the Kodiak punches no better or worse than any other 100 ton mechs with full sets of arm actuators.

#80 SilentSooYun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 426 posts
  • LocationTikonov

Posted 29 November 2014 - 07:55 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 29 November 2014 - 04:47 AM, said:

Books involve heavy use of artistic license to tell a story; they should not be used as rules reference guides (overheating a Locust? Really?).

Also, we're playing a game with giant bipedal war machines. Physics has no place here.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users