King Crab With Xl?

112 replies to this topic

#1 IronLichRich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:25 AM

I think if you run something similar to the clanbuster upgrade (2 gauss) you will be fine. But what are the thoughts on running an xl engine in a double ac20 king crab?

#2 PrototypeIV

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:36 PM

100 ton crab is going to need STD contrary to crack pot popular beliefs XL is not going to cut it. Awesome standard high quality hit boxes on the side torso`s are going to be a ***** to manage. I`m sticking with gauss but that`s just me.

#3 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:46 PM

Yes, the Side Torso size is quite legendary on the KGC.

#4 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:31 PM

Of course, PGI could do something random and give it small side torsos. Do we even have final art yet? It's hard to know anything at this point.

#5 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:37 PM

I cannot wait to see art and hard point layouts they go with.

STD is probably a must though... the torsos have to be huge. Assaults and XL just do not go well short of a Victor.

#6 MalodorousMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 283 posts
  • Location, location, location

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:41 PM

I predict the side torsos will be huge for the king crab, since it's traditionally a very stout mech.

You won't be able to run dual AC20 on the King Crab along with an XL engine. Not enough slots.

EDIT:
Also, XLs aren't as necessary with 100 ton mechs. With an atlas, you may be able to fit more on with an XL, but really, it's slots that you will tend to run out of before tonnage.

Edited by MalodorousMonkey, 16 September 2014 - 04:42 PM.

#7 Mauadib

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:40 PM

View PostMalodorousMonkey, on 16 September 2014 - 04:41 PM, said:

I predict the side torsos will be huge for the king crab, since it's traditionally a very stout mech.

You won't be able to run dual AC20 on the King Crab along with an XL engine. Not enough slots.

EDIT:
Also, XLs aren't as necessary with 100 ton mechs. With an atlas, you may be able to fit more on with an XL, but really, it's slots that you will tend to run out of before tonnage.

You realise that the default King Crab has the AC/20s in the arms right? The XL takes up side torso slots not arm slots. The only things the XL would mess with are the ammo for the AC/20s, the LLas, and the LRM 15/ammo that is in the Left/right torsos.

#8 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:47 PM

That depends. Some workups for the AC/20s KGC use split-location arm/torso autocannon in order to retain the upper arm and/or hand actuators. The original version has no lower arms or hands and mounts them entirely in the arms.

Either way, the XL engine wouldn't prohibit the AC/20s, so you're right on that, Mauad.

Something else to keep in mind is that the KGC is meant to have actual long-range support weaponry as well, which not only makes it a much more feasibly dual-20s mount than a Jaeger, but also leads me to wonder if it might have been the origin of the Dire Wolf.

This has probably actually been explained already and I'm wrong, but there are a lot of holes in my knowledge of lore history.

#9 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:53 PM

Should actually wait to see the hitboxes first. If the STs are tiny, then XL might be viable. If it's got big STs, then a nice STD engine would do it. It's a 100 ton assault mech, so you can afford to have a big STD engine, and still get big guns in there.

#10 MalodorousMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 283 posts
  • Location, location, location

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:12 AM

View PostMauadib, on 16 September 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

You realise that the default King Crab has the AC/20s in the arms right? The XL takes up side torso slots not arm slots. The only things the XL would mess with are the ammo for the AC/20s, the LLas, and the LRM 15/ammo that is in the Left/right torsos.

Ah, I was mistaken. I've been messing around with MegaMekLab recently and confused myself. Though, in MegaMekLab, it shows that both arms have lower arm and hand actuators. I guess in the TT you could put two of the AC20 slots into the side torsos? (Never played the TT in anything other than MegaMek.)

If the King Crab has lower arm and hand actuators in its arms, would it be able to fit AC20s in them?

#11 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:15 AM

View PostMalodorousMonkey, on 17 September 2014 - 02:12 AM, said:

Ah, I was mistaken. I've been messing around with MegaMekLab recently and confused myself. Though, in MegaMekLab, it shows that both arms have lower arm and hand actuators. I guess in the TT you could put two of the AC20 slots into the side torsos? (Never played the TT in anything other than MegaMek.)

If the King Crab has lower arm and hand actuators in its arms, would it be able to fit AC20s in them?

No. Lower arm actuators can't be in there if it's strapping AC 20s. Look at the Jagermechs.

There are 16 slots total in each arm. an AC 20 takes up 14. With the default Shoulder slot + Upper Arm Actuator slot, you can't have lower arm actuators and still slap an AC 20 in there.

#12 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:20 AM

We'll probably get 10 percent arm movement like Victor and Highlander have. Or none at all, like Stalker.

#13 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:22 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 17 September 2014 - 02:20 AM, said:

We'll probably get 10 percent arm movement like Victor and Highlander have. Or none at all, like Stalker.

We get that movement on those mechs because the other arm has a lower arm actuator.

However, the king crab will have a similar lay out to the Direwolf, or Jagermech.

#14 Fauxwise

• PipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 66 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTropical Sweden

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:25 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 17 September 2014 - 02:15 AM, said:

No. Lower arm actuators can't be in there if it's strapping AC 20s. Look at the Jagermechs.

There are 16 slots total in each arm. an AC 20 takes up 14. With the default Shoulder slot + Upper Arm Actuator slot, you can't have lower arm actuators and still slap an AC 20 in there.

No, the arm location of every 'mech has 12 slots. And the AC 20 takes up 10. Otherwise you are correct in that two slots are left over if you mount an AC 20 in the arm, and those go to the shoulder and upper arm actuator.

Edited by Fauxwise, 17 September 2014 - 02:27 AM.

#15 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:27 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 17 September 2014 - 02:22 AM, said:

We get that movement on those mechs because the other arm has a lower arm actuator.

However, the king crab will have a similar lay out to the Direwolf, or Jagermech.

Who cares about arm movement when the AC20s magically converge at any distance :-)

#16 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:27 AM

View PostFauxwise, on 17 September 2014 - 02:25 AM, said:

No, the arm location of every 'mech has 12 slots. And the AC 20 takes up 10.

Lol, you're correct. I added 2 more slots because I mixed up the tonnage cost for slot cost on the AC 20 (14 tons, thought 14 slots)

#17 Slarticus

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:44 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 17 September 2014 - 02:27 AM, said:

Lol, you're correct. I added 2 more slots because I mixed up the tonnage cost for slot cost on the AC 20 (14 tons, thought 14 slots)

They can solve this very simply by adding the Crab a quirk that grants 2 extra slots in the arms and takes to slots from the side torso.
then they don't have any problems.

#18 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:14 AM

It's also realistic that we might get a Cross Sectioned CT like on the battlemaster given Alex's initial rough sketch thats been around forever.

That would make it less of an XL nightmare but will still suffer punishment from angled fire and LRM's.

#19 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:44 AM

View Post101011, on 16 September 2014 - 12:46 PM, said:

Yes, the Side Torso size is quite legendary on the KGC.

Too true that. You can imagine an Atlas torso turned 90 degrees to the side, strap a pair of legs to the bottom part and you will have the King Crab.

The introduction of the King Crab will deffinitely move the AWS to second place for easy to target hitboxes.

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 17 September 2014 - 03:44 AM.

#20 Grey Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 480 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:07 AM

View PostMauadib, on 16 September 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

Not exactly what I feel we're going for. More of a question of whether the KGC will be XL safe or not. Which it won't. Because look at the pictures of that mech on sarna.
Posted Image

No way that thing will be XL safe.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users