97 replies to this topic

#81 Yasuoka

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:55 PM

View PostJohn Wolf, on 18 September 2014 - 03:45 PM, said:

Lets be nice gentlemen. Even if the presentation didn't come across as intended by the OP lets stay constructive and not belittle anyone.

Gamers are gamers, no matter their attire or sound of their voice. Treat everyone fairly, especially those that make mistakes.

Play nice everyone!

I treat everyone like ****. I dont care who they are. FULFILLING MAH JOB.

#82 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 22 September 2014 - 10:02 PM

View PostYasuoka, on 22 September 2014 - 08:55 PM, said:

I treat everyone like ****. I dont care who they are. FULFILLING MAH JOB.

This, this is how you get banned. Just sayin.

As for the thread. While the original post does come off as odd, the subsequent replies were far far worse. It has become trolling. The poor OP is probably too uncomfortable/embarrassed to explain himself now after being ACCUSED of stalking, creeping, sexism, etc.

This thread should be closed, but I'm sure that the moderators are too afraid of the backlash that it could cause because of how dramatic people on here can be.

Bottom line, WoofieDog made an odd request and should have gone into more detail, but he didn't. People make mistakes, and it's not like the dude can cause any serious harm over TS3. The most he's going to do is lead a chick along to, in the end, creep her out. Oh no, the common awkward young male strikes again, making female gamers slightly more cautious! What is the world coming to!
Give the guy a break, and try to look at things from his perspective. He was making an odd request for the sake of RP is my guess, and now he probably feels terrible for it.
The odds of him finding female MechWarriors interested in a BattleTech roleplay group are extremely low, so it makes sense that he came to the official forums in an attempt to find interested players.

TL;DR Don't assume the worst in people, don't make accusations, but DO be cautious of others. Caution=/=trolling and making someone else feel embarrassed about their one faux pas.

EDIT: Also love that everyone ignored that OP mentioned that he wanted "as well as other wolfs out there" along with the, in particular, female commanders. That includes dudes, furries, omnisexual pandasprites, whatever.

Edited by Pezzer, 22 September 2014 - 10:16 PM.

#83 Yasuoka

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 10:22 PM

View PostPezzer, on 22 September 2014 - 10:02 PM, said:

This, this is how you get banned. Just sayin.

Since I hit the post button before I checked and I was also working on another topic when I wrote it, it would appear that not all of my post is there. I like to copy and paste since I hate the reply boxes and I messed up and did not grab everyhting I wrote from notepad. Any way, The rest of my post consisted of me giving him advice on his actions and the fact that his website does not have forums. Anyone who did click that link would know that there is no forum on their website and that automatically makes me not want to go back.

Second, it doesnt matter if he added that he wanted everyone else too, the fact that the request was for "female" was a bit creepy.

Nice white knight routine though.

#84 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:50 PM

View PostCMetz, on 21 September 2014 - 02:22 PM, said:

Look, the fact of the matter is that equality IS important. As Glory said, its hard enough for women in the gaming world. This type of post (at least worded the way it was and defended as poorly as it was) does absolutely NOTHING to make this a welcoming environment for female mechwarriors.

Frankly, with all of the positive changes lately I believe it is our duty as a community to make people (male, female, whatever) want to play this game. The more the community grows the more effective matchmaker can be, more game modes can be added, and more development can happen.

-end minor rant-

This, Nail head, Hammer.

#85 Joanna Conners

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:01 AM

There are now five pages of male pilots discussing their opinions on the post, giving very little mind to anything any of the (at least two) female pilots have said.

Perhaps you would all do better not to debate what is and is not good for us as though you have a say in it, hmm? We are grown women. We can take care of ourselves.

I find the OP to be odd for a number of reasons, most of which include non-Clan language and the lack of Trials to prove that a man or woman is a competent warrior.

Women are not some oddity to be put behind glass or on pedestals in games. I have been a MechWarrior for nineteen years. I have been playing games longer than many of the young men who debate my presence in games have been alive.

If all this thread is going to do is continue to troll the OP or debate women as though we are not a part of this community or discussion then I agree, it should be closed, the show should be over, everyone should move on.

#86 justin xiang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 585 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:14 AM

Damn clanners. You guys and gals love having sex with your sibkin. Nasty incestors.

Edited by justin xiang, 23 September 2014 - 10:17 AM.

#87 Chocowolf Sradac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts
  • LocationStar Colonel, Clan Wolf, 4th Wolf guard, Alpha Galaxy

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:19 AM

View PostDemona, on 23 September 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

There are now five pages of male pilots discussing their opinions on the post, giving very little mind to anything any of the (at least two) female pilots have said.

Perhaps you would all do better not to debate what is and is not good for us as though you have a say in it, hmm? We are grown women. We can take care of ourselves.

I find the OP to be odd for a number of reasons, most of which include non-Clan language and the lack of Trials to prove that a man or woman is a competent warrior.

Women are not some oddity to be put behind glass or on pedestals in games. I have been a MechWarrior for nineteen years. I have been playing games longer than many of the young men who debate my presence in games have been alive.

If all this thread is going to do is continue to troll the OP or debate women as though we are not a part of this community or discussion then I agree, it should be closed, the show should be over, everyone should move on.

I fully agree I found the OP to be quite sexist even if his original intentions are good which again studies do show. However this guys lack of clan language gave me a very good idea of what kind of group it is and I fully agree with you that women are not something to put on a pedistial in gaming. Gaming is and will always be for both genders and should be seen equally

reading the replies this should get closed before it gets worse then what it already is

#88 Joanna Conners

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

View Postjustin xiang, on 23 September 2014 - 10:14 AM, said:

Damn clanners. You guys and gals love having sex with your sibkin. Nasty incestors.

The Lannisters send their regards.

Posted Image

Edited by Demona, 23 September 2014 - 10:25 AM.

#89 justin xiang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 585 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:23 AM

Did you play MW2 MercNet?

#90 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:27 AM

I think the op did nothing wrong. I for one would like to see the male to female ratio evened out

#91 justin xiang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 585 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:30 AM

OP didn't do nothing wrong. Stop hating.

#92 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:32 AM

View PostDemona, on 23 September 2014 - 10:21 AM, said:

The Lannisters send their regards.

Posted Image

This.

#93 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:37 AM

I feel silly for contributing to the storm; while it is true that the OP did come across a little awkwardly, I tend to agree with what some of you are saying.
In the end, I suppose we can just call it a learning experience for him. Try to be a bit more clear with your intent, so less is left to speculation (and subsequently being labled as something not necessarily accurate) and things should be a bit better in the future.

#94 Kitty Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 320 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUtah

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:40 PM

View PostWonderSparks, on 23 September 2014 - 10:37 AM, said:

I feel silly for contributing to the storm; while it is true that the OP did come across a little awkwardly, I tend to agree with what some of you are saying.
In the end, I suppose we can just call it a learning experience for him. Try to be a bit more clear with your intent, so less is left to speculation (and subsequently being labled as something not necessarily accurate) and things should be a bit better in the future.

I agree with you here. If he had worded it better it would of sounded more than he just wants female gamers as the leaders of his corp. To me, it sounds like he wants girls to join just because they ARE girls. I did not become where I am in my corp because I am a girl, I had to work hard for it and I want to be treated as a Warrior rather than just a female, and I expect any females who want to be commanders want to do the same thing, earn the right.

There are girls out there who are all for having everything handed to them because they are what they are, but for the rest of us we want to earn it just like you guys do.

Sorry for the little rant :P

#95 John Wolf

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 347 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:51 PM

Evening folks, since this thread has been derailed and some subsequent comments getting worse since the last time I looked in here I'm going to lock it down. The OP has his contact information in the OP if you'd like to reach out to him, if not, lets find another place to be constructive!

Thanks for your opinions and time.

John

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users