General

36 replies to this topic

#1 DasSibby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 259 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:50 AM

Bear with me. (And I'm not talking about the Golden Mechs!)

PGI has secured exclusive marketing rights now from IGP. Promptly afterward they reward us with this HUGE anniversary gift (right in time for my Birthday too!), then start actually TALKING to us, and working directly with the community for ways to fix problems (ECM, balancing, etc, etc..)

I think we're seeing the beginnings of a Mechwarrior golden age. What say you? Have the developers come to live among us mortals?

Posted Image

#2 Kitty Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 320 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUtah

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:52 AM

I really hope so. If they deliver CW by the end of the year like they say they are doing, that will be the biggest sign PGI has turned it around completely and IGP was the ones pulling them down.

#3 Pendraco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 469 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:53 AM

View PostDasSibby, on 18 September 2014 - 09:50 AM, said:

Bear with me. (And I'm not talking about the Golden Mechs!)

PGI has secured exclusive marketing rights now from IGP. Promptly afterward they reward us with this HUGE anniversary gift (right in time for my Birthday too!), then start actually TALKING to us, and working directly with the community for ways to fix problems (ECM, balancing, etc, etc..)

I think we're seeing the beginnings of a Mechwarrior golden age. What say you? Have the developers come to live among us mortals?

Posted Image

Exciting times!!

Posted Image

#4 Alex Wolfe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:11 AM

Posted Image

Short answer: no.

Long answer: nooooo, they're just scrambling to save their main product after Transverse failed to take off, and showing off some good will to get people happy and complacent and most of all eager to buy that newest Clan package, and create threads like this one.

We've already had an era when "the developers lived among us mortals" making nice promises, it was called Closed Beta in 2012. In fact, some of those very promises that are being repeated now.

Edited by Alex Wolfe, 18 September 2014 - 10:22 AM.

#5 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:27 AM

Golden Age huh?

Posted Image

#6 Ristle

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:37 AM

I personally wouldn't refer to this as a "Golden Age" just yet, since it's become a case where PGI has realized they need to step their proverbial game up over here on the MWO front, after all the events lately. Renaissance would be a more fair and interesting term for what's going on lately, due to the exchange of ideas, and what looks like renewed passion from the devs at PGI. This is good, but it needs to be honestly applied, so people should wait until there's actual ingame tweaks over the ECM discussions and whatnot.

Golden Age to me would be Steam release (which Russ said may actually be a thing in 2015 or later), improved net code (face it, Lights should melt with the firepower going around nowadays, but they still seem more durable than most Assaults, as well as hits seem a bit off on normal mechs at time and the current desync issues), and they have plans setup beyond the "4 Pillars" they've promised since before beta. These would all put the game in a great position for Joe Blow to consider picking up and playing, which means new blood. New blood means potential new customers for Russ and pals, which means the rest of us have a game to play for that much longer.

The comic lover in me is just used to Golden Age being used for when things are at their best, and I honestly want to see MWO improve both as a game and product before it gets that title.

#7 Alex Warden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:46 AM

Golden Age is normally followed by extinction... /AngelOfPessimism :)

#8 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:48 AM

View PostMercules, on 18 September 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

Golden Age huh?

Posted Image

She from Dragon Age not the Golden Age!

#9 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:52 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 18 September 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

She from Dragon Age not the Golden Age!

Felicia Day doing, "Do you wanna Date My Avatar." which is from the web series The Guild. ;)

#10 Griggio

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:02 AM

View PostMercules, on 18 September 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

Felicia Day doing, "Do you wanna Date My Avatar." which is from the web series The Guild. ;)

Great now I'm going to be day dreaming about Felicia Day ......all day :P

#11 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:04 AM

View PostGriggio, on 18 September 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

Great now I'm going to be day dreaming about Felicia Day ......all day :P

get started... you have catching up to do. I started back during Dragon Age 2!

#12 Vaerhoren

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:01 PM

Golden age?
You have the memory of goldfish, that's all I'm going to say.

#13 Carrie Harder

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationCarrying pugs up Mount Tryhard

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:10 PM

It's a great start no doubt, but the real test is to see how long this trend continues.

#14 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:13 PM

No. Because an age would be UPON you, not AMONG you.

#15 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:53 PM

Yea no, we're FAR from a golden age, we might be a tinfoil Posted Image stage, but we have a long way to go (well about 3 months) for a golden age. They're definitely making progress and taking steps, but right now, it's still words on paper so to speak. When things start getting implemented then I'll talk about golden ages

#16 StandingCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,069 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:19 PM

Russ has made some good small steps toward rebuilding trust between the customer and PGI. But, not only does that forward progress and communication need to continue, I would also need to see action before there is even a thought of opening my wallet again. I have watched the cycle of perpetration and apology go on for too long with PGI to believe yet.

Now it's time to prove that they are serious. Let's see some actual changes in game such as:
1. UI 2.0 needs to be redone. This has been a wall preventing me from wanting to play again.
2. Get rid of Ghost Heat.
3. Better weapon balance
4. More GOOD maps
5. A good iteration of CW
6. Not a huge deal anymore, but I would like to see 3PV gone.

Edited by StandingCow, 18 September 2014 - 06:24 PM.

#17 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:30 PM

If Civilization taught me anything, it's that this is only going to last seven turns. Make the most of it while you can!

#18 Tkhaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 264 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:37 PM

Still too early for that yet...

Wait till CW comes out/or not... :)

#19 Felbombling

• 2,978 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:35 PM

If PGI continue in the same vein as they have been for the last month ANNNNNNNNNNNND deliver Community Warfare on time... yeah, I could go with a golden age of sorts. If they sell a ton of Wave II Clan Packs and fail to deliver Community Warfare, though... torches and pitchforks.

#20 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:05 PM

I VOTE YES.

Pessimists will always pessimist. Things already look great. Russ has increased his post count by approximately lots in the last week or so alone. he's actually answering direct questions. There's lots of new shiny stuff arriving.

KING CRAB.

More than anything, i'm happy about the mood in the forums. Despite a determined few trying to apply old vitriol to see where it sticks, things are actually pleasant, people seem excited, and reading the forums is actually enjoyable, rather than being darkly amusing.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users