Restore The Gauss Rifle And The Ppc And Make Mwo A Mech-Sim.

Balance

123 replies to this topic

#21 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:49 AM

Only way to remove the Gauss nerfs would be to nerf it some other way. Like, make it take 11 slots, one more than the AC20.

#22 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:03 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 19 September 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

The PPC is just too slow at 850 MPS to hit past 400 meters on moving targets.

The Gauss Rifle is not a sniper rifle. It is too weak at 15 damage for 15 tons to support a difficult de-sync charge-up mechanic and the proof of this is that players will almost always take 2xGauss or none at all. Well that is not how Battle Tech describes the function or use of the Gauss Rifle and it relegates the Gauss Rifle to the Dire Wolf, Cataphract, Jagermech and K2 only, instead of a weapon that is very common on any ballistic capable mech. Now if PGI wants to add an apocryphal mech sniper rifle at 15 tons and say 24 damage, be my guest, but the Gauss Rifle at just 15 damage for 15 tons is balanced to be a long range accurate ballistic that fires normally! A 6 second recharge like an SSRM6 is all that is needed to force it into long range specialization.

I've been having success with PPC and gauss over the last week.

Posted Image

These stats are probably way off, but this says I played 10 games with ER PPC and dealt 4,805 damage which is about 500 damage per game.

Gauss average damage stats are lower, at around 330 average damage per game, due to me being a noob and using them outside 1,000 m for reduced damage (not to mention the range nerfs on them which limit them down to 600 something meters effective range).

I hate to say they work fine, because it is hard to shoot things at extreme ranges from 1200 - 1600 m. Its a lot harder now than it used to be.

But then again, that is far away, maybe it is supposed to be difficult to hit moving targets at that distance? .

Edited by I Zeratul I, 19 September 2014 - 11:04 AM.

#23 Hagoromo Gitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconic Combine, outscirts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:16 AM

View PostUrsusMorologus, on 19 September 2014 - 10:49 AM, said:

Only way to remove the Gauss nerfs would be to nerf it some other way. Like, make it take 11 slots, one more than the AC20.

20 tons, 11 cs... is only Heavy Gauss Rifle, but it have 25 damage. I'm fine give IS HGR. Make IS OP.

#24 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:26 AM

I think the gauss is fine where it is now but PPCs were over-nerfed. I'd like to see them brought up to 1000/1100 m/s so they can actually be useful at range.

#25 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:09 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 19 September 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

If PPC and Gauss are restored, this game will become the mech version of Counter-Strike. I for one, am not going back to 2013.

Currently there are plenty of Gauss and C/ERLLasers around to keep accurate long range fire as an option. Less PPFLD makes the game last longer and actually let me enjoy the combat better.

As opposed to the click-to-attack RPG that is LRM boating?

Yeah, two can play the embellishment game.

#26 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:08 PM

My point is there is a need to keep weapons strong in their tactically defined roles. AC20 is a close range weapon, AC10 is mid-range to close, PPC is long. And so on. That doesn't mean you can't take an AC20 to say Alpine and make it work, it means under average circumstances someone with a PPC or two should beat the AC20 on Alpine, but that's not what happens since the PPC speed nerf. Now there is no long range battling on Alpine like there was 4 weeks ago. Now it is just a 300 meter bum-rush on every map and AC's and lasers always win that battle. That is dead gameplay and it's not MechWarrior which is a map based tactical game. MechWarrior makes you think, plan, evolve. The AC+Laser bum-rush meta in MWO currently, requires no thought, no change, you just repeat what you just did 10 minutes ago.

You will see. I think maybe some players are just too involved with trying to master what has been served up already to see there is a much deeper level of gameplay that MechWarrior can offer. I'll ask you though, how long can you play the same close-range match over and over before you want a new challenge?

It's Booyah!! btw.

#27 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:15 PM

All PPCs were definitely over-nerfed, they need to be brought up to about 1100m/s.

#28 Jonathan Paine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:19 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 19 September 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

Make the game easier for me!

No. Easy mode does not a sim make. Convoluted charging mechanisms, cockpit shake, destruction through overheating, reticle that shakes when a humongous mech runs/jumps . These are things that make this a sim.

#29 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:23 PM

I see gauss and PPC every match.

If PPC was sped back up we'd see no more pulse or large lasers - just like before. Also no need for any ballistic save AC5, since you can get a super-accurate, super-long range AC10 with unlimited ammo on any mech without fear of explosions.

PPC is good where it is. So is gauss. They're not absolutely dominant - which they used to be.

Edited by MischiefSC, 19 September 2014 - 03:29 PM.

#30 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:29 PM

instead of the current gauss charge mechanic just press the button, the gauss charges for 1sec, then fires

instead of the floating photon torpedo that the PPC currently is, put the projectile speed way up and put a .5sec delay on it after you press the button

now that the pinpoint weapons all have different firing delays they no longer sync and you can put all the weapons to the speed you want. may have to adjust to 1.25sec gauss delay / .75sec PPC

since there is now a delay when you fire gauss and PPC it makes pop-tarting a lot harder, and therefore you can put the JJs back to where they were, or at least to a happy medium from where it was to where it is now

#31 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:30 PM

The PPC is the same speed or a bit faster than the AC10. Are we saying the AC10 is totally unusable due to projectile speed?

I'm game with this so long as the AC10 gets an identical speed buff and the AC20 gets a commensurate one. Bump the PPC by 200m/s? Sure, put the AC20 at 200m/s higher and the AC10 at the same speed.

#32 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:41 PM

A PPC should move faster then an AC10, but the standard version is actually 100 m/s slower and the ER version is the same speed.... FYI..

#33 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:45 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 19 September 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

A PPC should move faster then an AC10, but the standard version is actually 100 m/s slower and the ER version is the same speed.... FYI..

An AC10 should have a range measured in miles and a muzzle velocity of ~1,000 and 1,300m/s. It should also hit with enough force to blow a hole clean through a house; in one side, out the other, and still destroy an armored vehicle.

That wouldn't be good game balance though, so we pretend it's got about /14 or less its actual range and about 1/2 its actual speed and a fraction its full destructive force.

All of which is neither here nor there. For game balance reasons the super-high speed PPC screws all other weapon balance.

#34 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

I'm fine with the new ER/PPC speeds. It's because of that change and the Awesome tweak that I started to experiment again with PPCs, after a long time of neglecting them. If anything maybe a slight boost, but it shouldn't be more than ~50 m/s.

But with the Gauss Rifle, if we can fix heat Capacity by lowering it to at least 30, then I can see removing the charging mechanic if this system would be activated, along with a Heat Capacity fix.

And another thing I'd love to see regardless, is have the Gauss be the only hypersonic weapon in MWO! So, it should also get a better sound too.

#35 Lefty Lucy

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:58 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 19 September 2014 - 03:45 PM, said:

An AC10 should have a range measured in miles and a muzzle velocity of ~1,000 and 1,300m/s. It should also hit with enough force to blow a hole clean through a house; in one side, out the other, and still destroy an armored vehicle.

That wouldn't be good game balance though, so we pretend it's got about /14 or less its actual range and about 1/2 its actual speed and a fraction its full destructive force.

All of which is neither here nor there. For game balance reasons the super-high speed PPC screws all other weapon balance.

Most small arms will "blow a hole clean through a house," so that's not exactly impressive.

#36 Jetfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:07 PM

No, I prefer the current mechanics. Maybe a bit of PPC speed buff for IS and drop the damage on gauss explosion when not charged. Brawling was extinct and it should be fully viable.

#37 shadN

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:19 PM

View Postfallenhawk1, on 19 September 2014 - 09:26 AM, said:

So a simple compromise would be removing the charging requirement if the mech only has one Guass Rifle. Now the weapon could be useful once again to the med. mechs. Just a thought.

PLUS you could remove the recharge mechanic on tuesdays and thursdays and if you brother in law´s name is Peter. Or George.

#38 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:21 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 19 September 2014 - 03:45 PM, said:

Fair enough, but still... you have a weapon designed for use at 810 m with the same projectile speed as a weapon designed for use at 450 m. Seems kinda funky, but its fine.

#39 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:36 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 19 September 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

Fair enough, but still... you have a weapon designed for use at 810 m with the same projectile speed as a weapon designed for use at 450 m. Seems kinda funky, but its fine.

The PPC has almost the exact same range profile as the ac10, only the AC10 has projectile drop.

The ERPPC has more range plus no minimum, plus 100m/s faster speed.

Edited by MischiefSC, 19 September 2014 - 04:44 PM.

#40 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:49 PM

Gauss rifles are fine. i would suggest maybe increasing the "hold" time a bit, so you can prep when you're about to crest a hill or round a corner, line up a shot and fire before it times out, but as it is, its manageable, you just have to get used to it.

PPCs are....ok....just that....ok.... which is sorta the whole point....every weapon system should be...ok.... it has its uses, but it can't do everything. otherwise there is no reason to use anything BUT that weapon system.(or conversely NO reason to ever use it)

Take a minute, step out of yourself and your desires, find peace inside yourself, and look at the big picture of balance. sometimes people get too focused on little details like projectile speed, and forget to look at everything that encompasses this whole system.

22 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 22 guests, 0 anonymous users