42 replies to this topic

#1 jaxjace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 987 posts
  • LocationIn orbit around your world

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:36 PM

Its pretty ridiculous that EVERY time i get legged its going 15 kph. Its especially annoying for light.

PGI please fix.

#2 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:37 PM

That's... not a bug. If you get legged, your speed is capped at 50% or 40kph, whichever the slower. If you take a hit, it drops to 15kph.

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:43 PM

It's not a bug, just a poorly thought-out feature. It's especially funny that weapons like Flamers and MGs can trigger the 15kph "speedlock."

Edited by FupDup, 19 September 2014 - 06:44 PM.

#4 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:07 PM

Yeah, the stun lock on damage when legged isn't a bug, it was actually added to the game around a year ago. It's a bad mechanic, no question.

#5 Scratx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:12 PM

Not a bug, working as designed.

#6 Flying Blind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 776 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:16 PM

Actually he may have a bug, my son ran into this the other day: he was in an ember, got legged and could only go 15 kph even after we killed the guy who legged him and he was not being shot at all.

so: legged mech not being shot stun locked at 15kph.

#7 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:23 PM

Bug or not, there really isn't any good reason for a mech's speed to drop arbitrarily when legged and getting hit.

#8 Sandslice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:42 PM

View PostFupDup, on 19 September 2014 - 06:43 PM, said:

It's not a bug, just a poorly thought-out feature. It's especially funny that weapons like Flamers and MGs can trigger the 15kph "speedlock."

Nah, there's an actual bug. If you get legged but take no other damage, you can be stuck at 15kph; the only way to get out of it is to take more damage after dropping your leg.

#9 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:10 PM

View PostSandslice, on 19 September 2014 - 07:42 PM, said:

Nah, there's an actual bug. If you get legged but take no other damage, you can be stuck at 15kph; the only way to get out of it is to take more damage after dropping your leg.

Nope - when you're legged it takes 3 seconds of no damage before you can get to your max one leg speed. So the damage from the leg getting destroyed limits you to 15KPH and you have to (somehow) not take any damage for 3 seconds before you can get to 40KPH or whatever your new max speed is.
Again - it's a crappy mechanic and like many others it is completely unexplained in game or documentation. It's mentioned only in the patch notes of when it was released, or if you file a bug report on it to support.

#10 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:16 PM

I still believe if you get a leg wrecked you should drop to 15kph for 5 seconds then 50% speed period. (additional hits do nothing)

Then if you get the 2nd leg wrecked you fall down for 5 seconds then get back up and are capped at 15 kph.

Dramatically improve this game for the better.

(But but But......- remember, legs are not blown off in MWO, just ruined)

#11 Jack Avery

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 234 posts
  • LocationSwimming in the lava pools of the Pug Zapper of Mordor, Planet Terra Derpa

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:18 PM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 19 September 2014 - 08:16 PM, said:

I still believe if you get a leg wrecked you should drop to 15kph for 5 seconds then 50% speed period. (additional hits do nothing)

Then if you get the 2nd leg wrecked you fall down for 5 seconds then get back up and are capped at 15 kph.

I'd be okay with that. You're still basically dead anyway.

#12 Sandslice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:25 PM

View PostEgoSlayer, on 19 September 2014 - 08:10 PM, said:

Nope - when you're legged it takes 3 seconds of no damage before you can get to your max one leg speed. So the damage from the leg getting destroyed limits you to 15KPH and you have to (somehow) not take any damage for 3 seconds before you can get to 40KPH or whatever your new max speed is.
Again - it's a crappy mechanic and like many others it is completely unexplained in game or documentation. It's mentioned only in the patch notes of when it was released, or if you file a bug report on it to support.

If that's the case, then the bug I'm thinking of was fixed between the last time I played (a few weeks ago, World of Warcraft beta's had me for a while) and now.

#13 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:40 PM

View PostJack Avery, on 19 September 2014 - 08:18 PM, said:

I'd be okay with that. You're still basically dead anyway.

Exactly and at least it gives that mech a chance to fight back instead of feeling like they got cheesed every time they get legged.

#14 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:40 PM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 19 September 2014 - 08:16 PM, said:

Most of my 'mechs have half decent arms. Be nice to be able to crawl too. Don't care if it is only 5kph and have to stop to shoot only torso weapons. I'll do it!

#15 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:42 PM

View PostNathan Foxbane, on 19 September 2014 - 08:40 PM, said:

Most of my 'mechs have half decent arms. Be nice to be able to crawl too. Don't care if it is only 5kph and have to stop to shoot only torso weapons. I'll do it!

Crawling would call for a rework of the animations -MASSIVE JOB- considering how many mechs we have.

But the animations for falling down are all within the game already. So having someone plop over once they get 2 legs wrecked then do the stand back up animation is the easier approach.

At least for a FPS game.

If this was a Tactical turn based then I would definitely push for mechs doing the zombie crawl.

Edited by Carrioncrows, 19 September 2014 - 08:43 PM.

#16 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:45 PM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 19 September 2014 - 08:42 PM, said:

Crawling would call for a rework of the animations -MASSIVE JOB- considering how many mechs we have.

But the animations for falling down are all within the game already. So having someone plop over once they get 2 legs wrecked is the easier approach.

I know, but it is still nice to have on the wish list. I'm one of those players who looks at a fully armored Atlas wandering of and says, "Come back here I still have a machine gun!"

#17 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:51 PM

View PostNathan Foxbane, on 19 September 2014 - 08:45 PM, said:

I know, but it is still nice to have on the wish list. I'm one of those players who looks at a fully armored Atlas wandering of and says, "Come back here I still have a machine gun!"

+2 points for "almost" quoting Stackpole's Shin Yodama

Posted Image

Edited by Carrioncrows, 19 September 2014 - 08:51 PM.

#18 Quxudica

• Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:55 PM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 19 September 2014 - 08:40 PM, said:

Exactly and at least it gives that mech a chance to fight back instead of feeling like they got cheesed every time they get legged.

Problem is that's exploitable by heavy chassis, they can lighten their leg armor for more ammo/weapons/engines/whathaveyou and no longer risk death by legging. I've killed many an LRM boat by shooting out its knee-caps and even a brawler or two.

Losing both legs should still be death, but the arbitrary speed reduction on taking damage can be removed without an issue I think.

#19 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:56 PM

View PostFlying Blind, on 19 September 2014 - 07:16 PM, said:

Actually he may have a bug, my son ran into this the other day: he was in an ember, got legged and could only go 15 kph even after we killed the guy who legged him and he was not being shot at all.

so: legged mech not being shot stun locked at 15kph.

Has happened to me: I'll second that. Was also in an Ember. Got legged, got knocked to 15kph, then stayed there. No one shooting at me: the fight was on the other side of the map. 15kph for the rest of the match.

#20 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:18 PM

View PostQuxudica, on 19 September 2014 - 08:55 PM, said:

Problem is that's exploitable by heavy chassis, they can lighten their leg armor for more ammo/weapons/engines/whathaveyou and no longer risk death by legging. I've killed many an LRM boat by shooting out its knee-caps and even a brawler or two.

Losing both legs should still be death, but the arbitrary speed reduction on taking damage can be removed without an issue I think.

You are very wrong there sir.

It doesn't matter what mech you are in, If you are legged it is a death sentence. Period.

I regularly leg heavy mechs, then I leave him because they are not in the fight anymore, they are not an issue.

This is what I hope to fix.

Losing both legs isn't a death in tabletop, why should it be in MWO? As mentioned you don't lose legs in MWO, they only get ruined. They don't pop off, they don't blow up, they just stop working as effectively.

What I am advocating is something called game balance. (Read my signature)

This is just one of those instances where curbing the negative feelings and hatred is well worth stretching the Battletech rules a bit. Because the benefit is a net gain for everyone.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users