Art

20 replies to this topic

#1 Aurawind

• PipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:56 PM

I've always loved the idea behind Battletech and Mechwarrior, waging war in giant walking tanks with tons of weapons. I loved how there was so many different mechs. Most of the art I had seen had been from the Battletech CCG I've collected when I was a kid. Some mechs on the cards looked good but others were pretty ugly. It made me dislike the ugly mechs.

When I saw MWO for the first time I fell in love with Alex Iglesias mech designs. Every single mech that I previously disliked had been transformed into the most beautiful design I've ever seen. I thought "This was exactly how all theses mechs are suposed to look like." Then I began thinking "I wish the Battletech CCG had the MWO designs." So I decided to whip out photoshop and see what I could do:

Posted Image
This is the original card from the Commander's Edition which had the much nicer layout than the first sets.

Posted Image
This is the same card with the MWO concept art from Alex Iglesias painted by Hayden.

Posted Image
This is my final version. I didn't like the rusted metal background so I decided to do something different but keep the metal look. After playing around with different metal textures I stumbled upon the black and yellow hazard sign and immediately I knew it was just perfect for the background. Pretty fitting since I had painted the bases of my Battletech miniatures with the black and yellow hazard lines. For some reason it just screams Battletech/Mechwarrior.

Hope you guys like em. I do plan on doing all of the MWO mechs this way. I'll probably print them and put them over top the original cards lol.

Edited by Aurawind, 09 April 2016 - 03:33 PM.

#2 Aurawind

• PipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:07 PM

Here's a tribute to the Vulture / Mad Dog since alot of people were waiting for that mech to be released. Unfortunately the quality of the scanned card was not the best, I just felt I had to make it anyways. I will be redoing it at another time with a better quality scan.

Posted Image
Original

Posted Image
MWO version

Enjoy!

Edited by Aurawind, 21 September 2014 - 05:44 PM.

#3 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:26 PM

You know how it could be even better? Using in game screenshots of the mechs.

BTW:
MWO Chess.

#4 Aurawind

• PipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:11 PM

@Odanan

Personally I find artwork looks better in CCGs and board games compared to "In Game" screenshots. There is also alot of details in the artwork that cannot be translated to "In Game" models. Alex Iglesias' artwork is the reason for me modifying the cards. Best part is theres lots of talented people doing repaints to the art, which gives me lots of options and variations. I'm also looking into having unique battlefield backgrounds behind each mech.

As per your suggestion, here's a Mad Dog with the "In Game" Prime model:
Posted Image
*couldn't find a good full body image...

BTW: That MWO Chess game seems interesting, reminds me of a game I have called Navia Dratp, I'll have to try it some day. I've done some custom board and card games before in the past, but for these I liked how the game played and just wanted to make the mech cards nicer using the MWO art. Didn't want the headache of creating rules and stuff lol.

#5 Aurawind

• PipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:20 PM

I had to do this one!:

Posted Image
Original

Posted Image
MWO version

Enjoy!

#6 CarnageINC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 216 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:46 PM

Very Nice!!! Oh back in the day....I so miss that game very much. I still have all my cards...hundreds and hundreds of them :wub:

#7 Dark DeLaurel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 579 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWarShip Sleipnir, Spinward-Coreward Quadrant

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:05 PM

i wish i would have gotten in to that when it was out. What a missed opportunity, there was a game store that went out of business by me when the CCG was out and had boxes for cheap :(

#8 Aurawind

• PipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:32 AM

Been a while since I last touched this project, but after seeing Odanan's repaint based on the old King Crab card, I felt I had to redo the card with the new artwork.

Posted Image

Odanan's enthusiasm about the CCG and my project reignited my desire to make all the MWO mechs for the CCG. In addition I'm working on making my template able to create custom variants with different stats, factions and text. I want to try to match the text font as close as possible to the original, that way the cards will look like they belong.

I did a test print on regular paper just to see how it looked, it's much bigger than a card but it looks good, would look better on photo paper...

Posted Image

Let me know what you guys think, once I got my template 100% done I'll be able to take requests, should be fun!

#9 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:34 AM

Very nice! :)

One thing I will admit I miss about the CCG art was the way it presented each 'mech in some sort of action scene.

#10 Aurawind

• PipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:26 AM

View PostDingo Red, on 11 April 2016 - 06:34 AM, said:

Very nice! Posted Image

One thing I will admit I miss about the CCG art was the way it presented each 'mech in some sort of action scene.

That's true... Unless Alex Iglesias makes his mech design artwork with action scenes, all I could really do is try to add special effects like lasers or explosions, which may end up bad like the Star Wars Blu-Ray effects :P Also most of the mechs in his concept art don't really have dynamic poses... Oh well, still love Alex Iglesias' designs too much, so I don't really care about the action scenes.

#11 Aurawind

• PipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:16 PM

I've updated my template to have a higher resolution and also have the proper card size for printing. Almost fully done my template, after I'm done with that I'll be able to start working on all the MWO mechs!

Posted Image

#12 Muraro

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 01:55 AM

Pretty nice job! Will you distribute the layout files to download?

#13 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:38 AM

I made an excel template that calculate the stats for the cards, based on the TT sheet:

EDIT: updated stats: https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Still need some adjustments, like:
- inclusion of asset cost (A, T, L, M, P).

Mechs are more expensive in my calculations (more granulation = more accurate balance), but I have some ideas of how fix that in the game (something like each player can start with 2 resource cards deployed - something that also reduces the greatest unbalancing issue of the game: the first rounds starvation of resource cards).

Edited by Odanan, 26 April 2016 - 05:51 PM.

#14 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:33 AM

View PostAurawind, on 11 April 2016 - 06:16 PM, said:

I've updated my template to have a higher resolution and also have the proper card size for printing. Almost fully done my template, after I'm done with that I'll be able to start working on all the MWO mechs!

Posted Image

Any news about this?

(I can help)

#15 Johnny Kurita

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 11 posts
  • LocationTukayyid

Posted 21 October 2017 - 04:00 AM

I remember getting that King Crab card in 1997 when I was just a kid. I think Franz Vohwinkel is the artist.. still the best Crab picture ever done, I think :) Also this thread totally rules, great idea.

#16 Wanderer of the Mists

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 89 posts
  • LocationAlabama UAS

Posted 16 July 2019 - 04:39 AM

I would love for an official card game to come out. heck using the commander setup from MTG(magic the gathering) having a known hero for a faction as commander. Or one like the deck building games like Privateer Press High Command and clame planets. or do a dice builder game like Dice Masters could be fun as well.

#17 sCOREscream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 859 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 16 July 2019 - 05:35 AM

Hey Aurawind, nice idea with the cards. If you're looking for some cool pics take a look here: https://mwomercs.com...e-art-of-score/

#18 Strichnine

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 06:29 AM

I really wish I could get a hold of Aurawind. I remade the resource cards in the same theme as his mechs and I wanted to share it with him.

Here is an imgur link to the Resource cards I made : https://imgur.com/gallery/Nlg34w4

If that isnt working here is the reddit I made for it: https://www.reddit.c...h_ccg_redesign/

My profile has my email address if you are interested in collaborating.

Edited by Strichnine, 24 June 2020 - 06:43 AM.

#19 shameless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 491 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 07:55 AM

I still have uncut sheets from winning tournaments...

#20 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 25 June 2020 - 08:17 AM

View PostAurawind, on 11 April 2016 - 08:26 AM, said:

That's true... Unless Alex Iglesias makes his mech design artwork with action scenes, all I could really do is try to add special effects like lasers or explosions, which may end up bad like the Star Wars Blu-Ray effects Posted Image Also most of the mechs in his concept art don't really have dynamic poses... Oh well, still love Alex Iglesias' designs too much, so I don't really care about the action scenes.

Now with MW5 we can do all of these scenes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users