• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:56 PM

View PostYiazmat, on 20 September 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

Posted Image

Looks to me it goes to the bottom of the Atlas' chest XXX's

Now my nova is sad and really feels fat.

but its ok so short, that has it's very own pros and cons. Better to hide, harder to hit stuff with those low arms. looks probably awesome when walkign in the water of some maps and all the legs are hidden in the water just the Torso on the water surface.

Edited by Lily from animove, 20 September 2014 - 02:58 PM.

#22 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:57 PM

It's mech pron. Embrace Alex into your visual stimuli.

#23 Onmyoudo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 955 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:58 PM

View PostJin Ma, on 20 September 2014 - 02:34 PM, said:

a bit too short for a 100ton imo

Because it's super wide. From the scale there it looks like an Atlas and a half? Imagine an Awesome, but with another Awesome duct-taped flat to its head and all the damage from front or down goes to the same CT. That's a King Crab.

#24 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:00 PM

I wonder if those ballistics are actually shielded by doors that can be toggled, like the catapult for its LRMs.

I'm, all for more flappy bits

#25 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:01 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 20 September 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

You are a legendary founder so you should be all set for the Atlas and the King Crab.

Btw don't take the comparison to the Atlas as being how it will be sized in game. Not sure why Alex did that but the scaling will come from the modelers and they will do side by side comparisons of the art before they begin to model.

Oh, I know I was in it. Even without my LegFound, I have pre-ordered every pack, boss. But was curious if all FOunder Packs were indeed pre-order? That was the confusion, but thanks for the quick response!

#26 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:06 PM

View PostHawk819, on 20 September 2014 - 02:54 PM, said:

afaik, no. they are not consider such, and I bought all of them. Founder's Pack; Phoenix Pack + Re-Enforcement Pack; and the Clan Package.

So much for me being a supporter. I'll buy the MC, etc. But as far as they are concerned, I will not be receiving anything but the Mad Dog, if it at that.

That's not what I was told by a friend of mine. I guess he didn't qualify. And I shouldn't let him sway me in a manner that may be detrimental to my character. So I'm going to take a wait and see approach and go from there, Russ.

Did you pre-order? If so, then you get the Atlas. and since you are a Legendary Founder, Overlord Phoenix or Masakari Clan.... that would be top tier as long as any of them were pre-order, and thus, the King Crab.

http://mwomercs.com/...21#entry3724421

View PostLily from animove, on 20 September 2014 - 02:56 PM, said:

Now my nova is sad and really feels fat.

but its ok so short, that has it's very own pros and cons. Better to hide, harder to hit stuff with those low arms. looks probably awesome when walkign in the water of some maps and all the legs are hidden in the water just the Torso on the water surface.

Eh, read Russ's responses. That is NOT to scale.

View PostSadist Cain, on 20 September 2014 - 03:00 PM, said:

I wonder if those ballistics are actually shielded by doors that can be toggled, like the catapult for its LRMs.

I'm, all for more flappy bits

that is the goal, I am led to understand.

#27 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:06 PM

View PostMisterPlanetarian, on 20 September 2014 - 01:49 PM, said:

Widen it a little imo. It looks smaller than a Cataphract.

Dont worry, it will be artificially scaled to be 50% larger then it should be...just as hte Atlas is...well, the Atlas is I think 3m taller or something..

#28 Jin Ma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:08 PM

View PostOnmyoudo, on 20 September 2014 - 02:58 PM, said:

Because it's super wide. From the scale there it looks like an Atlas and a half? Imagine an Awesome, but with another Awesome duct-taped flat to its head and all the damage from front or down goes to the same CT. That's a King Crab.

doesn't look that much wider than the atlas in that picture

#29 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:14 PM

That is an absolutely gorgeous rendering of the King Crab...it's the first time I've seen and Assault and felt I had to have it. Though I could see it being wider, I like its proportions and would provably only prefer it was scaled a tad taller, up to the horizontal line in the back drop of the Atlas-King Crab comparison art.

I'll have to do some re-paints for the forum now...I already have a great idea. I'll defiantly be putting $80 toward getting the special release variant.

Edited by CocoaJin, 20 September 2014 - 06:37 PM.

#30 Lucity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 108 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:04 PM

I really hope the King Crab will have "bay doors" functionality on those arm mounted weapons, I really do.

#31 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:06 PM

View PostJin Ma, on 20 September 2014 - 01:28 PM, said:

how's it going to walk with no ankles

Judging by how it's drawn, it will use the Stalker's walking/running animations.

In which case it will not need ankles.

I'm calling it now.

If it does, it will make the torso very survivable despite its size.
However I'm not sure if I would like that sort of walk.

Other external views. Slow walks (near the beginning).

Third person (throughout the video on and off, especially after 6 minutes).

Edited by Koniving, 20 September 2014 - 04:09 PM.

#32 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:10 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 20 September 2014 - 03:14 PM, said:

That is an absolutely gorgeous rendering of the King Crab...it's the first time I've seen and Assault and felt I had to have it. Though I could see it being wider, I like its proportions and would provably only prefer it was scaled a tad taller, up to the horizontal line in the back drop of the Atlas-King Crab comparison art.

I'll have to do some re-paints for the forum now...I already have a great idea. I'll deg insult be putting $80 toward getting the special release variant.

again, that is not to scale. According to Russ. Also, early concept sketch still. Expect the income model to be wider (because they always are) taller and the hips farther forward. As shown the arms clip the hips and it basically has issues torso twisting.

Still....looks bloody amazing.

View PostKoniving, on 20 September 2014 - 04:06 PM, said:

Judging by how it's drawn, it will use the Stalker's walking/running animations.

In which case it will not need ankles.

I'm calling it now.

If it does, it will make the torso very survivable despite its size.
However I'm not sure if I would like that sort of walk.

Other external views. Slow walks (near the beginning).

Third person (throughout the video on and off, especially after 6 minutes).

http://vid1279.photo...zpsfc3c0e6b.mp4
How I want it to stride

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 20 September 2014 - 04:10 PM.

#33 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:13 PM

Hm, my Shadow Hawk can use it as stepladder i guess and my Cent needs a stool when the fight is prolonged.

:D

Fo real, it looks cool!
Wonder if the Claws work like Missile Doors?

#34 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:26 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 September 2014 - 04:10 PM, said:

Was never a fan of your art for the King Crab (too vertical/bulky for my tastes compared to the source mech), but I do love the animation. ^_^ I'm a big fan of animation (as I do that far better than drawing anyway).

My own ideal concept isn't far from the one shown, though I would have given it lower ground clearance, no torso twist (I like to stay true to the originals)...and a body akin to this turret.
Spoiler

That thing is beautiful.

(Had to create my own links to the images due to anti-hotlinking. So uploaded them to my own little hosty place.)

(On a side note: I saw your Cyclops and I love that redesign.)

Edited by Koniving, 20 September 2014 - 04:32 PM.

#35 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:30 PM

View PostKoniving, on 20 September 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

Was never a fan of your art for the King Crab (too vertical/bulky for my tastes compared to the source mech), but I do love the animation. ^_^ I'm a big fan of animation (as I do that far better than drawing anyway).

My own ideal concept isn't far from the one shown, though I would have given it lower ground clearance, no torso twist (I like to stay true to the originals)...and a body akin to this turret.
Spoiler

That thing is beautiful.

that's too vertical?
Posted Image
Don't mind it ain't your cup o tea, but I gotta say the concept and the animation are rather wide (probably too wide, TBH, to fit down half the streets, lol)

If anything, I would say the MWO will be much more vertical than mine. I just wish he had gone with the higher arms.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 20 September 2014 - 04:32 PM.

#36 Mavairo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:49 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 September 2014 - 04:30 PM, said:

that's too vertical?
Posted Image
Don't mind it ain't your cup o tea, but I gotta say the concept and the animation are rather wide (probably too wide, TBH, to fit down half the streets, lol)

If anything, I would say the MWO will be much more vertical than mine. I just wish he had gone with the higher arms.

I wish we had your art, and alex's both in game...

#37 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:50 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 September 2014 - 04:30 PM, said:

Yours is more vertical torso area.
His is vertical leg area.
A bit more of yours' bulk channeled into horizontal (front to back) length would have made me happier.

Posted Image
Has the feet I like and the general proportions; I'd prefer the upper arms and legs more consistent with the bottom however. This does kinda borderline your mech's torso vertical nature though. It depends on what the scale is. Assume the "mouth" is the viewport to the cockpit. Considering its wide arm range and left/right 180 degree arm arc (counting the ranges of both arms and the ability to shoot directly left and directly right at the same time) it'd need that wide view.

The cockpit is the one thing I hate here.
Posted Image
It is true-ish to the body designs.
Posted Image
Not a fan of the missiles along the front of the body on those, however. I prefer the cockpit as the long, very vertically narrow visor. A bit of underbelly to make sure the pilot has enough room to sit. Lots of bulk, but shorter than a Stalker. Like how a Cauldron Born is super squat but super bulky.

Long legs, but squatted down quite a bit.

(Also I'm not a fan as that lack of space between arm and leg actuators in that David White / BT mini model. It makes me think the legs could easily bump the arms and vice versa. Which is why I sort of like the torso better less downward-tilted.)

Edited by Koniving, 20 September 2014 - 04:52 PM.

#38 David McEvedy

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWouldn't you like to know, long live the 331st and the Wolverines!

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:20 PM

View PostHawk819, on 20 September 2014 - 02:54 PM, said:

That's not what I was told by a friend of mine. I guess he didn't qualify. And I shouldn't let him sway me in a manner that may be detrimental to my character. So I'm going to take a wait and see approach and go from there, Russ.

Posted Image

:P

#39 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:21 PM

View PostMavairo, on 20 September 2014 - 04:49 PM, said:

I wish we had your art, and alex's both in game...

eh, mine ain't even in the ball park. But if they wanted some flunkies to do some rough proofs, for Alex to make into his usual awesomeness?

I'd sign up-

#40 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:27 PM

View PostKoniving, on 20 September 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

Yours is more vertical torso area.
His is vertical leg area.
A bit more of yours' bulk channeled into horizontal (front to back) length would have made me happier.

Posted Image
Has the feet I like and the general proportions; I'd prefer the upper arms and legs more consistent with the bottom however. This does kinda borderline your mech's torso vertical nature though. It depends on what the scale is. Assume the "mouth" is the viewport to the cockpit. Considering its wide arm range and left/right 180 degree arm arc (counting the ranges of both arms and the ability to shoot directly left and directly right at the same time) it'd need that wide view.

The cockpit is the one thing I hate here.
Posted Image
It is true-ish to the body designs.
Posted Image
Not a fan of the missiles along the front of the body on those, however. I prefer the cockpit as the long, very vertically narrow visor. A bit of underbelly to make sure the pilot has enough room to sit. Lots of bulk, but shorter than a Stalker. Like how a Cauldron Born is super squat but super bulky.

Long legs, but squatted down quite a bit.

(Also I'm not a fan as that lack of space between arm and leg actuators in that David White / BT mini model. It makes me think the legs could easily bump the arms and vice versa. Which is why I sort of like the torso better less downward-tilted.)

I see where you re coming from. Mine hits a snag, though, one you mentioned at the end. I can't seem to NOT build my designs with things like clipping, real world flex and range of travel, in mind. Not that I don't screw it up still, but the two you mention at the end, the first thing I see after the "Wow, cool" factor, is....those could probably scarcely maintain their balance, let alone bring their guns to bear.

If you look at the animation model Kiriage put together, mine still needed some modifications, but it was more communicating what was not seen to him, then actually issues. WatWatchinge animation run, no clipping or other overlaps. (God I wish I could do what Kiriage does)I stand by my design as mechanically viable,if possibly not as aesthetically impressive.

I'd also say mine, with massive high line arms, leading to heavy side torsos encompassing a small CT, would have much better hitbox tanking capability, and ability to lay down it's firepower with minimal exposure.

But I also may be biased.

Regardless, Alex, as always did amazing.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users