• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:10 AM

http://www.reddit.co...lassic_element/

From Victormorrison on Reddit:

For those of you that are unfamiliar with Table Top, running hot is very dangerous. The hotter you get, the worse it gets, but ultimately it causes these effects:
  • Masive movement slowdown
  • Massive aiming penalities
  • Constant risk of ammo cook off
  • Risk of the Pilot Blacking Out
Also if an engine takes a hit, it begins making massive amounts of waste heat; a Clan mech losing a side torso is probably going to be crippled in effectiveness, and the primary advantage is simply not dying and being able to escape.
How does that translate to the future of MW:O? With heat being revisited, I think it's time to revisit these effects - a way to punish high heat builts without arbitrary numbers.
What I'm suggesting is this:
  • Once you pass a certain thershold (say 60%) heat effects begin by slowing the 'mechs top speed
  • As the heat gets worse, the impact on top speed grows.
  • This might also impact torso & arm turn rates dramatically, depending on the heat level.
  • Past MW games featured massive HUD distortions when running hot to make it harder to aim. I'm all for upping this in MW:O.
  • At extremely high heats (risking ammo explosion) the screen could even begin fading/washing out, making it harder to see, possibly accomponied by a labored breathing SFX.
Also I'd suggest that Clan 'mechs losing a side torso begin outputting a massive amount of waste heat, slowing the cool down process dramatically and making the minimum heat level far higher than the ambient tempature.
Long story short, is if someone packs very hot weapons and then uses them rapidly, they pay the price. Sure you might be able to fire all 4 PPCs at once, but your top speed might be 28 for a few seconds afterwards, so popping back to cover isn't an option.
Also I think this would totally bring the Clan XLs into line. They shouldn't be able to ignore losing a side torso, even if they aren't dead. They should be crippled by it but functioning.
Long story short, I think rewarding people for running cool builds would be a huge help and this would go towards addressing the meta they want to, while at the same time moving closer to the franchise.

#2 Draykin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:54 PM

Heat penalties? In my Mechwarrior Online? Please, PGI, do something like this. It adds a whole new level of skill to 'heat management' than just keeping below 100% with the biggest weapons possible. It helps curb extremely high heat builds (Which are not usually that fun for either the pilot or the enemies), and it adds a better sense of that Battletech feel.

Please, if anyone at PGI reads this, please pass the idea of scaling heat penalties around. It could add so much to the game.

#3 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,713 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:52 PM

Remove the ammo cooking, primarily since stock mechs are not existent.

Missing part of the heat scale, the fact that in MWO is actually scales, dependent on what type of heat sink being used (SHS or DHS) and the number of sinks. So a mechs max heat threshold is not set, which means with more DHS a pilot fire more before hitting the threshold.

As for the Clan XL and the loss of a side torso: additional heat being added, or a reduction of dissipation rate and max heat threshold equal to 10 SHS (or 5 engine DHS)

If the heat foundation was more in line with Battletech/Solaris rules, though not necessarily identical, would Ghost Heat and the variety of weapon heat cost increase have entered the game, least in their current form?

#4 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:14 PM

View PostDraykin, on 21 September 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

Heat penalties? In my Mechwarrior Online? Please, PGI, do something like this. It adds a whole new level of skill to 'heat management' than just keeping below 100% with the biggest weapons possible. It helps curb extremely high heat builds (Which are not usually that fun for either the pilot or the enemies), and it adds a better sense of that Battletech feel.

Please, if anyone at PGI reads this, please pass the idea of scaling heat penalties around. It could add so much to the game.

Holy crap, Victor with good ideas, the world is ending XD

#5 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:07 PM

View PostDraykin, on 21 September 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

Except it also destroys energy based mechs that always run hot

Maybe after some serious chassis quirks but not before

#6 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:36 PM

Yes we need more of a barrier then 99% heat? Your fine! People complaining time to kill is too fast... this is your answer.

Edited by ManDaisy, 21 September 2014 - 07:36 PM.

#7 Thunder Child

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:57 PM

Indeed. However, with the BT Heat system (modified for MWO, of course) implemented, Ghost Heat would need to be removed.
I'd also be in favour of NOT increasing the Heat Threshold with more Heatsinks. Instead, have the Sinks drop heat faster. So, firing in rapid succession is more preferable than firing an Alpha.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users