The Module Shuffle

58 replies to this topic

Poll: Allow for automatic module equipping (53 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to have modules automatically un-equip themselves from one mech, and re-equipping onto the current mech you are configuring?

1. Yes (31 votes [58.49%])

Percentage of vote: 58.49%

2. No (22 votes [41.51%])

Percentage of vote: 41.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 a gaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:48 PM

View PostEgomane, on 25 September 2014 - 09:30 AM, said:

So what is your solution for those problems?

Two solution suggestions:

1) Get rid of modules so all mechs of the same type are on equal ground, every battle? ;)

2) Get rid of modules altogether so we can just grind for more mechs and weapons instead of the weightless, "magical" modules :P

#42 VixNix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 441 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:01 PM

View PostHeroForHire, on 25 September 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

1) Get rid of modules so all mechs of the same type are on equal ground, every battle? ;)

2) Get rid of modules altogether so we can just grind for more mechs and weapons instead of the weightless, "magical" modules :P

Okay, then get rid of all the unlocks for basic, master elite crap too...

EVERY ONE on equal footing right from the get go

oh and refund all my c-bills spent on modules and as we wont need mech or gxp any more turn all that into c-bills and refund all the xp spent unlocking crap as c-bills

and on, and on...

#43 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:50 PM

View PostVixNix, on 25 September 2014 - 02:01 PM, said:

Okay, then get rid of all the unlocks for basic, master elite crap too...

EVERY ONE on equal footing right from the get go

oh and refund all my c-bills spent on modules and as we wont need mech or gxp any more turn all that into c-bills and refund all the xp spent unlocking crap as c-bills

and on, and on...

That's a good idea. If PGI wasn't using time & resources on balancing modules (or planning and engineering "pilot skills") that's time & resources that could be invested in other game modes, CW, more maps, and more mechs.

#44 Ayrmoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 541 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:09 PM

Personally, I would like to see a button (some where, maybe under he module button in Mechlab) that would strip ALL modules from ALL Mechs and return them to the inventory to be used. That way you can always reconfigure your current Mech with any module(s) that you own quickly. No more looking though EVER Mech to find the one module you accidently left behind.

Just my two cents,
Ayrmoon

#45 DAEDALOS513

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:17 PM

View PostThe Iron Chancellor, on 25 September 2014 - 08:41 AM, said:

Well maybe 'the content' would rather spend more of his time within games in which progression is not so great of a burden, and spend his money there.

Unlocking modules with GXP and requiring 3 variants of the same mech is enough of a time consuming progression system.
But this module-uncomfortableness (and more to the point, the desire to avoid said uncomfortableness)
bloats progression out of any reasonable boundry.

Perhaps some people love Grindy-Korean MMO type experiences, I personally despise it, and would rather invest elsewhere,
where my mind is more on the subject of having fun and less about avoiding menial-tasks that shouldn't be there in the first place.

It's amazing how players of the same game can have such varying views; or maybe Egomane just has too much time on his hands to do anything else? Well I'm with you Chancellor! I would rather spend my hard earned C-Bills on a cool new mech rather than buying identical modules.. no matter how many modules you purchase, you will NEVER have enough! Having multiple modules DOES NOT improve the game, it only helps you avoid navigating the atrocious UI. For this reason, I refuse to fall prey to the Module Money-Pit. I have much better things to do than to grind out a 10th seismic module.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 25 September 2014 - 06:18 PM.

#46 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:22 PM

View PostVixNix, on 25 September 2014 - 08:53 AM, said:

Why cant mech xp be used to buy modules?

IMO it's because you wont spend real money to convert useless mech xp to GXP to unlock modules...

nothing to spend the mech xp on after you have elite on your mech.

YES! They should work on that definitely. Even if it's slight, there should be ways to improve your mech as you gain more and more XP on it. Maybe allow you to spend it on adding more torso twist, or speed, or something.

#47 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:26 PM

View PostEgomane, on 25 September 2014 - 08:55 AM, said:

Ok... I have already seen a thread that asked for all equipment to be available for all mechs once bought, without the need to rebuy it. Now modules and what is next? Mechs and mechbays?

If we do that, what is left of the game that PGI can use as an incentive for players to buy premium time, to earn XP and c-bills faster? This game lives by players grinding for the next big thing. Be it mechs or modules. Take that from the game and you will kill a lot of the financial input and incentive to play. How do you expect to replace that?

No, I stand by my reason. You want it multiple times, you have to earn it multiple times and by that be a part of the game.

Wow you really DO have low expectations from PGI don't you. Don't you think they should come up with BETTER reasons to PLAY and earn CBILLS than to purchase multiples of the same EXPENSIVE modules. Besides, there are SO many modules available now, there is plenty of stuff to buy even if you buy ONE of each module. I'm sure there are more modules coming down the pipe-line as well.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 26 September 2014 - 04:57 AM.

#48 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:31 PM

View PostHeroForHire, on 25 September 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

BORING! You want everyone to have cookie-cuttter mechs with new personality or roles??

#49 VixNix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:05 AM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 25 September 2014 - 06:31 PM, said:

BORING! You want everyone to have cookie-cuttter mechs with new personality or roles??

I'm not sure that's what it is.

but given a newer player and a long time player who own the same mech the modules (skill level aside) can make the difference and that just isn't right to me.

AND, each mech is still customizable with load-outs...

Edited by VixNix, 26 September 2014 - 04:06 AM.

#50 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:00 AM

View PostVixNix, on 26 September 2014 - 04:05 AM, said:

I'm not sure that's what it is.

but given a newer player and a long time player who own the same mech the modules (skill level aside) can make the difference and that just isn't right to me.

AND, each mech is still customizable with load-outs...

Then one might say that the two pilots will have different skill levels at outfitting a mech's loadout, so it isn't equal after-all. Equipping a mech is a skill in itself.. ultimately, to satisfy your argument you would have us all running the exact same mech with the exact same loadouts.

Although this may make sense if it is one v one to truly determine the better pilot, this is a team based game, and there are many variables that determine victory.. eg. loadouts, map, heat-efficiency, modules, teammates skill, ping, etc.

Therefore modules do NOT add an advantage any greater than those other variables.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 26 September 2014 - 05:06 AM.

#51 The Iron Chancellor

• PipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 06:13 AM

There are two additional solutions that come to mind, if modules were to continue being on a mech-by-mech basis.

The fourth solution, would be to cut module prices down greatly, thinking around 20%-10% of their original price.

Quoting my prior example of improved gyros, Info Gathering and weapon modules on 9 brawlers :

18 Mil + 36 Mil + 54 Mil = 108 Mil

If prices were cut down to 20% :

3.6 Mil + 7.2 Mil + 10.8 Mil = 21.6 Mil.

A reduction to 10% would probably be ideal, as it would cut down even the most expensive module prices down
to Gauss Rifle/AC20 price tags

1.8 Mil + 3.6 Mil + 5.4 Mil = 10.8 Milion.

Thus making modules mech-by-mech, desirable, and far more affordable for large collections of mechs.

The fifth solution, simply would be to increase earnings overall from matches, however truth be told, I would not know the first
thing as to how much the sums would have to be increased to remove so great a grind barrier, but it is an idea.
It is however the least likely idea to happen simply because of how this might affect (arguably) their biggest
income factor from this game, the slow process of accumulation of wealth.

As it stands, I see five potential solutions, some far more ideal than others.
In order of my own personal priority, Id prefer :
1.Shared Modules
2.Auto Pull Checkbox from other mechs
3.Cut down Costs (Prefferably 10%)
4.Increase earnings (Unlikely, but its an option)

I do not consider find module mechanics to be a good solution,
it would reduce the frustration of dealing with the UI somewhat, but not eliminate the core of the problem effectively, as you'd still be required to perform menial clicks to avoid spending ludicrous sums, resulting in less games being conducted over the course of the day, and ultimately, players who might seek greener pastures due to frustration (thus spend less).

Three of the above four ideas could also be implemented towards purely cosmetic pieces,
like cockpit items and camos, this would motivate people to purchase them, knowing it's 'fire-and-forget' eye candy, Thus making 'micro-transactions for cosmetics' a far more tangible and appealing concept in this game,
Wide scale micro-transactions would compensate whatever premium time whales exist out there
because of this flaw.

But as it currently stands, most people don't bother, and I don't blame them, its enough of an effort with modules that grant a noticeable benefit, why add more nuisance on top of it with eye-candy that you have to move around or otherwise fairly restricted with?.

Again, I'd love to hear an official response, but after seeing so many threads come and go on this subject, I must say,
overall, I am quite pessimistic that it will ever happen.

Edited by The Iron Chancellor, 26 September 2014 - 06:39 AM.

#52 VixNix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:20 AM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 26 September 2014 - 05:00 AM, said:

Then one might say that the two pilots will have different skill levels at outfitting a mech's loadout, so it isn't equal after-all. Equipping a mech is a skill in itself.. ultimately, to satisfy your argument you would have us all running the exact same mech with the exact same loadouts.

Although this may make sense if it is one v one to truly determine the better pilot, this is a team based game, and there are many variables that determine victory.. eg. loadouts, map, heat-efficiency, modules, teammates skill, ping, etc.

Therefore modules do NOT add an advantage any greater than those other variables.

I am having trouble getting my idea out of my head on into writing.

I think that having to grind out the exp on three variants to unlock what should be pilot skills and not added abilities devalues the game and just puts undo pressure on players to buy mechs they don't want and grind out the number of matches they need to get the unlocks, personally i then stripped and sold those mechs...

Modules are another grind, admittedly for a reasonable perk, or you wouldn't do it.

BUT

In my opinion the game would be more balanced w/o them.

I spent more then 20 million c-bills on my Raven 3L and then they changed the module rules and i can only put half the modules on it i wanted...

:(

#53 Stickjock

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:16 PM

Personally... voted No...

Automatically being taken off my mech when I switch to a new one?? Nah... I'll do it the old fashioned way and do it manually... typically try to do that anyhow. Stop running one mech I'll strip the Modules off... that way I don't forget WHAT mech they where on and have to go hunting... that's my only gripe.

Now, if they added a way to show WHERE our modules are (what mech they're on)... I'd go for that... ;)

Oh, and Mod Hat on:

Remember to keep it civil everyone...

Edited by Stickjock, 26 September 2014 - 02:18 PM.

#54 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:03 PM

View PostStickjock, on 26 September 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

Personally... voted No...

Automatically being taken off my mech when I switch to a new one?? Nah... I'll do it the old fashioned way and do it manually... typically try to do that anyhow. Stop running one mech I'll strip the Modules off... that way I don't forget WHAT mech they where on and have to go hunting... that's my only gripe.

Now, if they added a way to show WHERE our modules are (what mech they're on)... I'd go for that... ;)

Oh, and Mod Hat on:

Remember to keep it civil everyone...

You're just not getting it. They aren't 'automatically' taken off a mech when you switch to a new one. You have to request it. So instead of locating the module among 70 or so mechs.. it is pulled from it upon request without all the moronic clicking that is currently required.

Also, many people don't just play one mech at a time like you do.. they play 2, 3 or maybe more. So your solution of stripping the modules when you are done doesn't work.

Thanks for letting us know why you voted 'no' and please change it to yes if I cleared things up for you.

#55 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 03:41 PM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 25 September 2014 - 06:31 PM, said:

Gimme a break -- a mech's weapon & electronics loadout determines its role. Not the modules it has installed. Modules are just a way to use use up C-bills and GXP after you've unlocked a mech's "skills." And to give the module user an edge the enemy might not have.

And the only 'cookie cutter' mechs in this game are the "meta builds" which I'm proud to say I don't use.

View PostVixNix, on 26 September 2014 - 04:05 AM, said:

I'm not sure that's what it is. but given a newer player and a long time player who own the same mech the modules (skill level aside) can make the difference and that just isn't right to me. AND, each mech is still customizable with load-outs...

DAEDALOS513, see above. VixNix is correct.

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 26 September 2014 - 05:00 AM, said:

Then one might say that the two pilots will have different skill levels at outfitting a mech's loadout, so it isn't equal after-all. Equipping a mech is a skill in itself.. ultimately, to satisfy your argument you would have us all running the exact same mech with the exact same loadouts. Although this may make sense if it is one v one to truly determine the better pilot, this is a team based game, and there are many variables that determine victory.. eg. loadouts, map, heat-efficiency, modules, teammates skill, ping, etc. Therefore modules do NOT add an advantage any greater than those other variables.

Though I use modules I honestly think they are bullsheet.
For example, let's say we both like piloting missile mechs, we both have been playing MWO for 1 year, both have a 1.0 KDR, are both in a Stock Summoner B, and are dueling.
I have ECM Deprivation, Target Decay, LRM20 cooldown, and SRM4 cooldown modules installed, and you don't.
I have a serious edge that borders on making the making the match unfair.

You do realize that, right?

#56 VixNix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 441 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:10 PM

I think he said what i was trying to say...

:D

#57 GabrielSun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:02 AM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 23 September 2014 - 04:13 PM, said:

Good point. Then there should be an option to 'LOCK IN' the module. If you do try to re-equip a 'LOCKED IN' module, the UI can then ask you for confirmation before moving it.

Why not just have a re-equip check box like you have to re-supply expendables? Every time that mech is dropped it has the module, regardless of whatever other loadout has it.

#58 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:31 PM

Why not extend this to all equipment... I only have one 210xl engine that's been swapped hundreds of times?

#59 Omaha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 559 posts
  • LocationAnywhere

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:27 PM

lol Stop cbill hoarding, and spend em. You wont regret it! SPEND IT ALL!

Then sell them for half the price!

Personally i dont care bout being efficient with cbills. I do what I gotta do when I gotta do it! I think I''ve actually bought n sold everysingle engine in the game 3 times over already. (for each mech, well the ones I own anyways... xD)

Edited by Omaha, 04 January 2017 - 11:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users