#61 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:08 PM

View PostE N E R G Y, on 27 September 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

Yeah buddy, I suggested that on page 1 already....

also, 6 is stupid man, sorry to put it bluntly.

We ran 4/5 medium lasers with the 2gauss 2largepulse PRE-clan weapon nerf, but now even most of us only run 3 Medium lasers, I could see 4 doable but with lower DPS due to heat that's not worth 1 medium laser IMO and also 6 is just absurd, was pre-patch, post patch that's just funny.

I've had way too many 4-6 kill 1000+ damage matches to make me think this doesn't work.

I have thought about losing 1 or two and replacing them with heat sinks occasionally but on maps that aren't Terra Therma I seem to be doing ok managing the heat on this sucker.

I put this on my Dire Wolf B and now my W/L and K/D are rapidly catching up to my prime which was been my best Dire Wolf run witih 2 PPC 2 Gauss since I first got it.

Edited by Kain Thul, 27 September 2014 - 02:09 PM.

#62 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:21 PM

View PostKain Thul, on 27 September 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

I've had way too many 4-6 kill 1000+ damage matches to make me think this doesn't work.

I have thought about losing 1 or two and replacing them with heat sinks occasionally but on maps that aren't Terra Therma I seem to be doing ok managing the heat on this sucker.

I put this on my Dire Wolf B and now my W/L and K/D are rapidly catching up to my prime which was been my best Dire Wolf run witih 2 PPC 2 Gauss since I first got it.

Well, I can already assume you are not alpha firing, because in 2 alphas you would be shut down.

Stacking multiple weapons, even for an alpha, means 0/zip/jack when you cannot fire high alphas in sucession, and even more-so against skilled player who are aggressive playing you.

So I would already logically deduce that you are group firing the mediums separate from the large pulse and that from the gauss.

Again, it works suitable at LOW ELOs pug matches, where teams generally aren't doing coordinated Aggro-uber rushes. I can actually poke at you with a 70-80 point alpha (3medium lasers same build with the rest though) and fire almost 3-5 alpha's non stop before shutting down.

#63 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:24 PM

This thread is a joke right? I'm guessing the OP hates direwolf pilots and is trying to trick them to use garbage builds so they won't be so powerful.

#64 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:25 PM

View PostMadPanda, on 27 September 2014 - 02:24 PM, said:

This thread is a joke right? I'm guessing the OP hates direwolf pilots and is trying to trick them to use garbage builds so they won't be so powerful.

apparently. you know , it's that typical MWO forum plague thing, where novice mechwarrrior pilots who don't have teams, nor play at high ELOS, nor understand give advice about putting LRMs or machine guns on a mech ;)

Oh yeah, let's not forget the supposed 1,000 damage they do in their mechs while playing players that are decimal number stats (is negative possible?)

#65 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:32 PM

View PostE N E R G Y, on 27 September 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

Well, I can already assume you are not alpha firing, because in 2 alphas you would be shut down.

Stacking multiple weapons, even for an alpha, means 0/zip/jack when you cannot fire high alphas in sucession, and even more-so against skilled player who are aggressive playing you.

So I would already logically deduce that you are group firing the mediums separate from the large pulse and that from the gauss.

Again, it works suitable at LOW ELOs pug matches, where teams generally aren't doing coordinated Aggro-uber rushes. I can actually poke at you with a 70-80 point alpha (3medium lasers same build with the rest though) and fire almost 3-5 alpha's non stop before shutting down.

I have them grouped where each arm has 1 LPL and 3 ERML. If I'm less than 40% heat I Alpha them then alternate whenever it drops to around 65 or so until I have a chance to cool down.

As far as who I'm up against yes, I PUG only.

#66 FearNotDeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 305 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:03 PM

View PostKain Thul, on 27 September 2014 - 02:32 PM, said:

I have them grouped where each arm has 1 LPL and 3 ERML. If I'm less than 40% heat I Alpha them then alternate whenever it drops to around 65 or so until I have a chance to cool down.

As far as who I'm up against yes, I PUG only.

You don't find gauss in the torso kinda sketchy?

#67 Bespoke Cheese Cake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 225 posts
  • LocationThem Interwebs, often in K-Town

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:43 AM

2 builds I've seen that work are
I: 4 ultra ac5, 6er med lasers
II: 4 ultra ac10, 4er med lasers
Just my 5 cents, but Auto Cannons seem to do the job.

#68 Just wanna play

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 28 September 2014 - 04:33 AM

My friend has been running dual lbx-20 and dual uac/10, actually worksat well, and loud :)

And energy, Someone whos only been playing 3 months is gona care a lot more about how well they do then peole whov been playing for awhile now and play just to play (that is what sims are all about after all)....just want to point that out. Me and various other people i know just run around in silly fun **** and giggles builds (will be unbeatable king of solaris /o/) i ran a locust with just dual ams and a small laser (lrm disposale team :3), an lrm100 19kph no reverse stalker, 3 ac/5h hunchback (that actually works very well...) and a bunch of other fun junk for giggles, only time i worry about winning is when i wants the money, and elo lets me run those silly builds and not just get rofled stomped with out having any fun (such as the ams locust XD) but still have a decent amount of difficulty in my proper fighting mechs. And sounding arrogant is NOT a way to get people to listen to you. Yes people will pay attention, but they won't be influenced by what yo say

Edited by Just wanna play, 28 September 2014 - 04:34 AM.

#69 Aratan Aenor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 132 posts
  • LocationWhere Einstein wasn't looking...

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:33 AM

I'm a LRM40 Warhawk guy myself, but there is one Dire Wolf build I like to pilot:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5bdefcb32863ee9

Makes quick work of any 'mech with less than 45 armor in its head section. Alternatively, if I want to look impressive on the end of game stats, I can spread my shots around enemy torso sections for ~1100 damage per match.

#70 Bolgani

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:00 PM

This is written from the perspective of a casual player who only plays in PUG matches . . . so if you're a master mech pilot who always gets 4+ kills and does 1500+ damage, you may as well skip this. (Unless you're easily amused. ;-) )

I just finished unlocking Basic efficiencies, so I suppose these are early impressions . . . I've had a number of good matches with 1000+ damage, several kills, and scores in the 130 - 150 range, which frequently topped the charts in the matches I've played. (Big fish, small pond? Minnow in a puddle?)

On the other hand, I've had some terrible matches where the numbers I put up were downright embarrassing - when your team runs away (as usually happens if you happen to spawn in, say, River City near either the cargo ship in D2 or the grounded aircraft in the upper city near the tunnel) you're going to have a short game; your team doesn't have to outrun the enemy, they only have to outrun YOU, which is easy if you're in a Dire Wolf.

A Dire Wolf alone in an open map (e.g., Alpine or Caustic Valley) is also easy prey to LRMs if the other guys have someone spotting - only one omnipod has AMS, and that can only do so much.

So what good is the Dire Wolf? Well, it has armor and firepower; IF you get support from your team, you can thoroughly tear up lighter mechs. Had a match yesterday where an Atlas D-DC and my DW led a push against the enemy team and pretty much steamrolled them. Other good games involved ambush and concentrating my mech's firepower on an already-engaged opponent. (Too many PUG games devolve into a bunch of 1 vs 1 contests.)

Speaking of 1 v 1 contests - in the case of a Dire Wolf vs. an Atlas - experience tells me the smart money is on the Dire Wolf.

So this mech has virtues and limitations - overall I like this mech. But I just have to deal with having an occasional bad - I mean, really bad - match.

Oh, and my current build is 4 UAC5, 4 CERML, max armor, BAP, and all the ammo and DHS I can cram in. Currently using Adv Zoom as my mech module, but a number of times I really could have used seismic.

Edited by Bolgani, 29 September 2014 - 04:05 PM.

#71 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:05 PM

TL:DR?

1) Pack as much pinpoint firepower as you can onto the DWF

2) Don't wander off on your own

#72 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:08 PM

View PostBolgani, on 29 September 2014 - 04:00 PM, said:

This is written from the perspective of a casual player who only plays in PUG matches . . . so if you're a master mech pilot who always gets 4+ kills and does 1500+ damage, you may as well skip this. (Unless you're easily amused. ;-) )

I just finished unlocking Basic efficiencies, so I suppose these are early impressions . . . I've had a number of good matches with 1000+ damage, several kills, and scores in the 130 - 150 range, which frequently topped the charts in the matches I've played. (Big fish, small pond? Minnow in a puddle?)

On the other hand, I've had some terrible matches where the numbers I put up were downright embarrassing - when your team runs away (as usually happens if you happen to spawn in, say, River City near either the cargo ship in D2 or the grounded aircraft in the upper city near the tunnel) you're going to have a short game; your team doesn't have to outrun the enemy, they only have to outrun YOU, which is easy if you're in a Dire Wolf.

A Dire Wolf alone in an open map (e.g., Alpine or Caustic Valley) is also easy prey to LRMs if the other guys have someone spotting - only one omnipod has AMS, and that can only do so much.

So what good is the Dire Wolf? Well, it has armor and firepower; IF you get support from your team, you can thoroughly tear up lighter mechs. Had a match yesterday where an Atlas D-DC and my DW led a push against the enemy team and pretty much steamrolled them. Other good games involved ambush and concentrating my mech's firepower on an already-engaged opponent. (Too many PUG games devolve into a bunch of 1 vs 1 contests.)

Speaking of 1 v 1 contests - in the case of a Dire Wolf vs. an Atlas - experience tells me the smart money is on the Dire Wolf.

So this mech has virtues and limitations - overall I like this mech. But I just have to deal with having an occasional bad - I mean, really bad - match.

Oh, and my current build is 4 UAC5, 4 CERML, max armor, BAP, and all the ammo and DHS I can cram in. Currently using Adv Zoom as my mech module, but a number of times I really could have used seismic.

+1 for specifying your expected audience!

#73 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:26 PM

View PostE N E R G Y, on 29 September 2014 - 04:08 PM, said:

+1 for specifying your expected audience!

I would assume that any "guide" posted here is for the 98% of people who play PUGs only.....people who are on organized teams (the vast minority) I'm sure would like to keep their secrets in house.

#74 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:48 PM

ENERGY, many forum goers seem to have issues with self-confidence and insecurity. If your post is not written in a kid friendly way, any valid points you've made will be ignored and even bashed. Unfortunately that's going to prevent them from becoming better players and teammates, but not my problem. I'll be happy to meet them on the opposite side of the match and I'll challenge myself to carry them if they're on my team.

Edited by BlackhawkSC, 29 September 2014 - 04:56 PM.

#75 John Wolf

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 347 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:24 PM

Hello Mechwarriors,

First, I want to thank every player that puts forward a guide. This helps encourage players to try new builds, to comment and offer other views and allow everyone to enhance their concepts or ideas towards a mech or a build.

There are clearly people who believe that Build Y is better than Build Z and that is fine. However, what is not fine is any kind of response which belittles or is rude to the person who was willing to take the time to write up their builds, opinions and share those with other people in the community.

I'm going to remind everyone to be constructive. You are welcome to disagree with a build, provide your own input on what you think a different build can do and why a different configuration may be more beneficial to the chassis. But if it is not done constructively then perhaps you should simply not respond.

We have so many players, with so many different playstyles. Providing an LRM boat build doesn't do anything for a person who enjoys running in and brawling, and a sniper doesn't have much use if he's in the open and focused by LRMs, or counter fire. There are so many different situations to MWO and the combat system that there is no 'This Mech Wins' every time.

Remember that even in a competitive system or environment that people are still respectful to their opponents and the people around them. Not everyone is here to play the game the same way another player is, or thinks they should. Some are here to have fun, to play a game that has been with them since their childhood, and enjoy that either alone or with groups of their friends.

So please, be polite and constructive or simply allow people to enjoy the game the way they are playing it.

One engine size does not fit all.

Thanks for your time everyone.

John Wolf

#76 FearNotDeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 305 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:44 PM

Posted Image
4xUac5, 2Lpl. This build just works makes me wish I had the DireWolf pre clan nerf and not the warhawk. Going to tool around in it a ton more then put in a bunch of hours with the dual gauss.

#77 CuriousCabbitBlue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 228 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:23 PM

eh its not the exact build but my prefered dire wolf is~ 2 uac5 an 2 uac10s<3

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c43f30de9e028cc

I also have one with nothing but 6 ER LL an a ton of heat sinks xD

#78 FearNotDeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 305 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:56 PM

View PostBolgani, on 29 September 2014 - 04:00 PM, said:

Could I ask why the bap? Also why not both for your modules? Are you still mastering out your dire?

#79 Bolgani

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:56 AM

View PostFearNotDeath, on 29 September 2014 - 10:56 PM, said:

Could I ask why the bap? Also why not both for your modules? Are you still mastering out your dire?
Trying to see if BAP does any good . . . jury is still out now, maybe more ammo would be better. (Forgot to mention I also have the Mk III targeting computer.) I *just* finished unlocking Elite on one DW variation, so I have two more DW variations to Elite before I can even start on Master and get that second useful module slot.

Edited by Bolgani, 30 September 2014 - 09:56 AM.

#80 Arctcwolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:48 PM

with the new cooldown reduction to lvl 5 im not surprised seeing more quad UAC5's walking around. almost constant juggling while lasers do the real damage, whether its 4x meds or 2x lpls doesnt matter much other than regarding range.

but have you ever watched a quad uac5 get juggled? watch shots fly everywhere or not at all. doesnt help if u get popped first

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users