Diversity... It Will Die

129 replies to this topic

#1 lordoverboard

Banned - Cheating

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:30 AM

I was looking forward to the DW release, to test my first "real" Clan mech. After 50 battles played, its clear to me that this thing is the nr.1 in assault mechs. There is absolute no contester (no surprise here i guess).

Ofcourse... there is this one situation, where you are left behind the team and get owned by 2-3 scouts... and, there is this one situation where you made a stupid move and get LRMed to death instantly. But besides that there are alot more situations where nothing can stop you except superior numbers or another dire wolf.

There is absolutely no reason for me to grind another assault mech.

I guess, the same will happen when they release the Stormcrow for C-bills. This will be my medium first choice forever (?) and will stop any further medium mech grinding. And about the heavys...... its the Timbi obviously.... until they bring the mad dog (ofcourse).

I am quite new to this game, and i went for a Ilya as my main mech to grind the C-Bills. I was doing very well in it, but facing all these mad dogs/timber wolves made me stop playing and stick to my DW.

Somebody will say, the reason for the Mad Dog - DW Spam is just the release date.... But i doubt that anyone will go back to an Atlas/Stalker/Victor after feeling the power of the DW. and the OPness of Crow-Timbi-Maddog compared to IS mechs of same weight is way higher. The light class is probably the only one where IS mechs have a good stand.

For now, this is no problem for me, since i still enjoy my fresh bought DW. And since Crow is coming soon, i also have sth. to play in the near future. But at some point i will start to miss the diversity that i´ve seen when i started this game.

I dont think there is a solution in terms of balance. You just cant nerf Clan mechs until they are like IS mechs... Clan mechs are supposed to be stronger. Introducing a 12 vs 10 system would kill the MM, since more people will tend to play the stronger mechs, getting people wait too long for their matches.

The only possible solution i can think of is a IS vs IS and Clan vs Clan system, to avoid the balance problems.

Faction fighting Clans vs IS is just Utopia in my books.

Edited by sirzorn, 24 September 2014 - 04:35 AM.

#2 Iyica de Tylmarande

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:33 AM

1/10 troll. I give the 1 for effort of a long post.

#3 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:34 AM

I have a DWF and I plan to play my DDC more now that I have my DWF mastered. Heck, I just bought an Awesome too. DWF is a fine mech, but it's not the end all be all you proclaim. Sure, like you, there are others who will feel the same way and they'll be in their DWFs. But there's also people like me who can find viability in other chassis as well and will give the DWF a run for it's money.

Diversification is a choice.

#4 Nauht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:34 AM

You saved your cherry post to complain about clans?

#5 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:36 AM

You keep your Whales, I'll keep my WubShee.

DoomCrow will likely be the best Med for the time being, with the Viper eventually being a 40 ton Ember with 5 ERMLs and 5000 rounds.

Maybe one day the IS will get a good hardpoint inflated 75 tonner, but today is not that day. A 75 tonner will outdo a 60 tonner in just about every way.

Edited by Mcgral18, 24 September 2014 - 04:36 AM.

#6 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:37 AM

Well there is the King Crab coming out soon. It should make life for the DW... Interesting.

But as a medium pilot i welcome this vision of yours. The more DW there are on the field the easier my life gets. After all they are about as agile as a dumptruck ans have the average speed of a glacier. You either pick them apart with hit and run or you hump them to death.

The stormcrow otoh... That is a tricky beast... =P

#7 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:41 AM

View Postsirzorn, on 24 September 2014 - 04:30 AM, said:

I was looking forward to the DW release, to test my first "real" Clan mech. After 50 battles played, its clear to me that this thing is the nr.1 in assault mechs. There is absolute no contester (no surprise here i guess).

Ofcourse... there is this one situation, where you are left behind the team and get owned by 2-3 scouts... and, there is this one situation where you made a stupid move and get LRMed to death instantly. But besides that there are alot more situations where nothing can stop you except superior numbers or another dire wolf.

I guess, the same will happen when they release the Stormcrow for C-bills. This will be my medium first choice forever (?) and will stop any further medium mech grinding. And about the heavys...... its the Timbi obviously.... until they bring the mad dog (ofcourse).

I am quite new to this game, and i went for a Ilya as my main mech to grind the C-Bills. I was doing very well in it, but facing all these mad dogs/timber wolves made me stop playing and stick to my DW.

Somebody will say, the reason for the Mad Dog - DW Spam is just the release date.... But i doubt that anyone will go back to an Atlas/Stalker/Victor after feeling the power of the DW. and the OPness of Crow-Timbi-Maddog compared to IS mechs of same weight is way higher. The light class is probably the only one where IS mechs have a good stand.

For now, this is no problem for me, since i still enjoy my fresh bought DW. And since Crow is coming soon, i also have sth. to play in the near future. But at some point i will start to miss the diversity that i´ve seen when i started this game.

I dont think there is a solution in terms of balance. You just cant nerf Clan mechs until they are like IS mechs... Clan mechs are supposed to be stronger. Introducing a 12 vs 10 system would kill the MM, since more people will tend to play the stronger mechs, getting people wait too long for their matches.

The only possible solution i can think of is a IS vs IS and Clan vs Clan system, to avoid the balance problems.

I bet you anything I can kill every DW in my (not any more so but still)-agile Victor.

You can't kill what you can't get in front of your reticule.

#8 lordoverboard

Banned - Cheating

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:46 AM

View PostTexAss, on 24 September 2014 - 04:41 AM, said:

I bet you anything I can kill every DW in my (not any more so but still)-agile Victor.

You can't kill what you can't get in front of your reticule.

I highly doubt that. We can do a private match this evening, if you want to show me.

#9 Lemming211

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:53 AM

I have purchased the Phoenix Overlord, Masakari, and Man-O-War packages. That said, I just purchased a Spider for C-bills and I'm having fun with it, took down a couple of clan mechs in my first game, assists on 6 others. I RARELY play my Stormcrow, Timberwolf or Dire Wolf mechs.

Edited by Lemming211, 24 September 2014 - 04:54 AM.

#10 keith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:54 AM

the timeline just needs to advance a bit. CW needs to come out and pgi needs to jump up about 5 or so year. giving IS their new toys, clans will get a new line of mechs. IS will get ALOT of new weps to fight clans. then balance should happen. fear the H guass, thought it will probley have a 2 sec charge up. light guass with a 1 sec charge up and a long range will tear into clan mechs

#11 5ardaukar

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:56 AM

Sounds like a conquest player, and what I mean by that is someone who plays purely for winning and not the variety, teamwork, camaraderie, and great battles, even if it's a loss.

Yes. The Direwolf is the best assault mech, it's supposed to be and in the fiction arguably was at the onset of the clan invasion. But it's kind of a boring mech to run, especially compared to the victor or banshee. That is unless you find winning the only thing thats fun.

#12 Andross Deverow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 458 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:58 AM

I will take any of my Atlas up against any Dire Wolf any time anywhere. The Dire Wolf will fall. They are simply too slow and they turn like a loaded down super tanker. Atlas arms soak up obscene amounts of damage coupled with torso twisting. An Atlas with a 350 in it will core out a Dire Wolf and still walk away at 60%-70% durability.

Regards

#13 lordoverboard

Banned - Cheating

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:05 AM

View PostAndross Deverow, on 24 September 2014 - 04:58 AM, said:

I will take any of my Atlas up against any Dire Wolf any time anywhere. The Dire Wolf will fall. They are simply too slow and they turn like a loaded down super tanker. Atlas arms soak up obscene amounts of damage coupled with torso twisting. An Atlas with a 350 in it will core out a Dire Wolf and still walk away at 60%-70% durability.

Regards

Show me in private match please. Its not that i want to show off my awesomeness (as i said, i am actually quite new to mwo), its just that i cannot believe in what you are saying.

#14 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:09 AM

View PostAndross Deverow, on 24 September 2014 - 04:58 AM, said:

Regards

A 350 isn't required. 300 works just fine.

#15 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:11 AM

I have been watching some footage of the Warhawk on YouTube, and it kind of reminds me a bit of the Victor.

The Warhawk can't carry the load out of the DW, but it seems pretty fast and maneuverable for an Assault. I could see it as a Heavy mech in Assault clothing (and armor). It seems like a descent alternative to the whale style of play.

#16 Cabal668

• Pip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:12 AM

Why do people always whine and still have no solution. Sure Clan Tech is way better than IS but this is how it should be in Mechwarrior.
The Solution is very simple, just put in the Battlevalue like it is used in the tabletop.
The IS have weaker tech but will have more Tons on the Battlefield to compensate.

#17 5ardaukar

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:14 AM

View Postsirzorn, on 24 September 2014 - 05:05 AM, said:

Show me in private match please. Its not that i want to show off my awesomeness (as i said, i am actually quite new to mwo), its just that i cannot believe in what you are saying.

Ive seen good atlas pilots rock direwolves before. Mind it is very loadout dependent. I think the banshee has a better chance, honestly. The DPS of a properly equipped banshee is insane.

#18 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:15 AM

View PostCorvus Corax, on 24 September 2014 - 05:14 AM, said:

Ive seen good atlas pilots rock direwolves before. Mind it is very loadout dependent. I think the banshee has a better chance, honestly. The DPS of a properly equipped banshee is insane.

Whats a properly equipped banshee to you? (not that I disagree, I have 3 of em, just curious).

#19 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:16 AM

People like to pack as many weapons as they can on a Dire Wolf and I've had great fun coring them out while they're shut down.

Other day I had a 1 v 1 against a DW in my Commando-3A. He got my right arm but I got the kill.

Edited by Voivode, 24 September 2014 - 05:17 AM.

#20 5ardaukar

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:18 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 24 September 2014 - 05:11 AM, said:

I have been watching some footage of the Warhawk on YouTube, and it kind of reminds me a bit of the Victor.

The Warhawk can't carry the load out of the DW, but it seems pretty fast and maneuverable for an Assault. I could see it as a Heavy mech in Assault clothing (and armor). It seems like a descent alternative to the whale style of play.

No kidding. Warhawks are like pocket battleships. I actually fear them more than direwolves for two reasons. They're typically played by good pilots, or at least compared to direwolves that is. They are fast and maneuverable for their weight, surprisingly so. I find I really have to be careful when engaging a warhawk because when I decide to engage, Even in a medium, I don't have the speed to create the delta to disengage cleanly if I need to. I stay away from them. lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users