Where The Mad Dog (Vulture) Went Oh So Wrong. Offically Closed! Problem Fixed!

223 replies to this topic

#141 Griggio

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:14 PM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 25 September 2014 - 09:00 AM, said:

Wow, this thread went crazy. One persons critique of a design met with such rage. Crazy.

Because over aggressive e-bullying or acting over offended is more effective and takes less effort then actually debating a counterpoint like adults.

#142 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:14 PM

View PostVerdic Mckenna, on 25 September 2014 - 05:32 AM, said:

Excellent example of my joke. We're all involved in our own way. And to others its completely misguided. You have to laugh at it. Its amazing what the human mind tells itself. For example, I really thought my personal story about MW would positively impact someone. You realize that thread was buried in a matter of seconds? Its crazy. People would prefer to complain, than they would to share stories of how this universe has POSITIVELY impacted them. Human nature. Laugh or cry.

Well, if it makes a difference, I did appreciate your story. It was a nice change of pace from all...this.

#143 KAT Ayanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:02 PM

The Lore says that the Mad Dog has the legs of the Timberwolf?

I thought PGI Lore said that ALL MECHS have almost identical Legs!

#144 TyphonCh

• The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationDue North

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:36 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 September 2014 - 05:08 AM, said:

2) Long weapon arms? Nope. Stubby as heck. PGI modelers have done a lot of things right in this game, but the dynamic weapons are very hit and miss. In this instance, even using the generic "box" lasers, they are at the least, 2-3 times too short in barrel length. The PPC also could use a boost. This also largely points out the ludicrous nature of using the same little barrel for a .5 ton Small Laser and a 7 Ton Large Pulse Laser.

Yes. That drives me nuts

#145 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:23 AM

View PostTeam Chevy86, on 25 September 2014 - 06:36 PM, said:

Yes. That drives me nuts

Yeah, though the weapon scale issues far predate the Mad Dog for me.

That said, visual complaints aside (really in game, it's the gait that bugs me most, though that is the issue with a lot of mechs, like the Dire Wolf, too), The Mad Dog Prime has become my go to mech on my Clan Account. Little thing can be a beast used right. It has it's share of weaknesses, BUT if one recognizes them and plays accordingly, it's very effective, without the boring ezmode cheeze of the Timberwolf.

Finally breaking 1000 damage in the MDD actually feels like an accomplishment in it, whereas it's just another day at the office in the TW.

#146 King Arthur IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:32 AM

the design is fine but the real issue is, its 60 ton and not 75 ton. if it was 75 and had more armour...... noone would complain.

the mech imo is fine and even op in the 60ton weight class. if this game had weight balancing instead of class, all the lighter mechs would have their place.

#147 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:51 AM

Still looks WAAAAAY closer to original then Nova... Always loved my stumpy nova in battletech.

#148 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:56 AM

View PostMad Ox, on 14 October 2014 - 07:51 AM, said:

Still looks WAAAAAY closer to original then Nova... Always loved my stumpy nova in battletech.

Yes, but the Nova had no choice. To compete, a torso twist was mandatory. Many of us would prefer how the old one looked...but I doubt any of us would want it to actually play worse than it does now to achieve that.

View PostKing Arthur IV, on 14 October 2014 - 07:32 AM, said:

the design is fine but the real issue is, its 60 ton and not 75 ton. if it was 75 and had more armour...... noone would complain.

the mech imo is fine and even op in the 60ton weight class. if this game had weight balancing instead of class, all the lighter mechs would have their place.

how is that in issue? Never really was talking about it's combat effectiveness, which btw, imo, is fine. But yes, not a TW.

#149 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:18 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 October 2014 - 07:56 AM, said:

Yes, but the Nova had no choice. To compete, a torso twist was mandatory. Many of us would prefer how the old one looked...but I doubt any of us would want it to actually play worse than it does now to achieve that.

how is that in issue? Never really was talking about it's combat effectiveness, which btw, imo, is fine. But yes, not a TW.

the issue is everyone wants every mech to be as tanky as their heavier counterparts within that class. so not the directly the mad dogs issue.

#150 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:30 AM

View PostKing Arthur IV, on 14 October 2014 - 09:18 AM, said:

the issue is everyone wants every mech to be as tanky as their heavier counterparts within that class. so not the directly the mad dogs issue.

I sure don't. I do want offsetting pros and cons, though.

TWolf (as an obvious example) is heavier, but essentially runs the same firepower, speed and agility (essentially, agility difference is so minor as to be a non factor) as the Mad Dog. With better armor and heat dissipation.

To me, good game balance, for that, is not restricted to Class or Tonnage. But if the TW is as good or Better in essentially ALL regards to the MDD, then the TW does in fact, become the "end game" mech, meaning all other mechs are less desirable.

THAT, is bad design and balance. There should never be an "Endgame" design. The MMD, should have marked better agility, or other quirks to make it able to hold its own against the TW, with each doing different things BETTER. That's the only way to make all chassis truly viable, is to avoid Power Creep and Endgames.

It's a microcosm of the Class System, where Light Mechs can't outgun or out armor an Assault, but they can outrun, and out maneuver them, giving them a fighting chance, and role. true "equality" is impossible, but the difference, the imperfect balance, should be small.

In the TW/MDD example, there really is no role difference overall, and as such, (and in conjunction with the TW still being crazy broken), from a pure "competition" perspective, the Mad Dog is strictly inferior, in every way, and as such, if one is "serious", the Timber Wolf is the only sensible choice.

At which point even making other designs at all, is pointless.

#151 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:36 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 October 2014 - 09:30 AM, said:

TWolf (as an obvious example) is heavier, but essentially runs the same firepower, speed and agility (essentially, agility difference is so minor as to be a non factor) as the Mad Dog. With better armor and heat dissipation.

To me, good game balance, for that, is not restricted to Class or Tonnage. But if the TW is as good or Better in essentially ALL regards to the MDD, then the TW does in fact, become the "end game" mech, meaning all other mechs are less desirable.

THAT, is bad design and balance. There should never be an "Endgame" design. The MMD, should have marked better agility, or other quirks to make it able to hold its own against the TW, with each doing different things BETTER. That's the only way to make all chassis truly viable, is to avoid Power Creep and Endgames.

It's a microcosm of the Class System, where Light Mechs can't outgun or out armor an Assault, but they can outrun, and out maneuver them, giving them a fighting chance, and role. true "equality" is impossible, but the difference, the imperfect balance, should be small.

In the TW/MDD example, there really is no role difference overall, and as such, (and in conjunction with the TW still being crazy broken), from a pure "competition" perspective, the Mad Dog is strictly inferior, in every way, and as such, if one is "serious", the Timber Wolf is the only sensible choice.

Meh, its because of the lack of diversity in the game modes. its all...kill the enemy before he kills you. So you go with a mech that can pack big enough guns to kill well, enough agility to evade fire and move around, and enough armor to withstand hammering if you need to......hence, the Timber Wolf has been an always will be the perfect balance of this, so its no real wonder its the go to mech....

Unlike PLanetside 2, where despite it being a FPS, and the Heavy assault, getting C4, Rocket Launchers, 100-200 round LMGs AND a shield to protect himself from fire, making them the most tanky class, you still see mounds of Medics, engineers, sniper classes and the whole gambit. There is a role and a point to every class in that game.....Even if the heavy assault is insanely annoying to fight against....you do see a mass amount of HA, but still, other classes are played plenty...unlike MWo, its TW/Dire Whale or else....

#152 Mothykins

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:36 AM

Just popping into to say, 100% that the legs should probably be re-rigged. would do wonders for the 'Mechs look.

Edited by Cavale, 14 October 2014 - 09:36 AM.

#153 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:39 AM

View PostCavale, on 14 October 2014 - 09:36 AM, said:

Just popping into to say, 100% that the legs should probably be re-rigged. would do wonders for the 'Mechs look.

agreed. I think the scale, the model could be left untouched then. Would not be 100% ideal, but visually would go a long way.

#154 Ph30nix

• 2,444 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:52 AM

im fine with it, i want a hero version with the laser turret like MW4 had.................. (Hides :ph34r: )

to me the worst part is the thing is a damn oven.....

#155 Tuefel Hunden

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:54 AM

Love my Mad Dog. Love it.

Did I mention that I love it?

#156 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:47 AM

View PostPh30nix, on 14 October 2014 - 09:52 AM, said:

im fine with it, i want a hero version with the laser turret like MW4 had.................. (Hides :ph34r: )

build better!!! ;)

#157 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:55 AM

View PostPh30nix, on 14 October 2014 - 09:52 AM, said:

Hero variant with CT energy hardpoints?

#158 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:22 AM

Have to agree with many others, that all in all the mech looks good. Legs I'm really happy with how they designed it, same with the mechs overall stance. Arm lasers could be extended but thats a very minor concern really.

#159 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:31 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 October 2014 - 09:30 AM, said:

I have to agree fully. The MMD handles like a Stalker, very disappointing, and the Twolf runs circles around it even without jj's. Looks wise they both need to crouch lower on there legs. Not a big fan of the Twolf's flat ass either.

#160 Xarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 997 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:49 AM

I want longer guns.
I want longer guns on most mechs in general.

And the MDD is 15 tons lighter than the TBR. If and when we separate mechs by tonnage rather than class, that 15 tons will be important.

Edited by Xarian, 14 October 2014 - 11:50 AM.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users