Where The Mad Dog (Vulture) Went Oh So Wrong. Offically Closed! Problem Fixed!

223 replies to this topic

#21 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:21 AM

The New Mad Dog looks bad. And that's all that really needs to be said.

This is what it should look like in a modern game:

Posted Image

That's from Assault Tech (by MekTek). Smooth, rounded edges, No LEGO blocks, proper classic look all the way back from MW2,

Edited by General Taskeen, 24 September 2014 - 06:23 AM.

#22 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:28 AM

View PostBacl, on 24 September 2014 - 05:35 AM, said:

Overall they nailed the design, it could have been much worse and yet we still have the essence of the Vulture. Seriously if i had to give them a grade i would grant a 85%, not perfect but very honorable.

The first time I met it I could barely reconize it. Maybe I have too much lore in the eyes :)

More seriously, I think the design have hitboxes issues.
Two time I went 1 on 1 with my shadowhawk, and blew SD with an alpha and then legged them in a minute.

I think Bishop pointed out where the design's problems are.
Beside I think that longer arms (like in the original TRO) could be positionated to protect both SD and CT, covering them.
More prone legs can be more difficult to hit.

I don't know... maybe a 65% it's fair

#23 Jin Ma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:31 AM

They should bend its legs more so it looks shorter. And then increase the length of the laser barrels. I think that would do wonders for how it looks.

#24 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:35 AM

I would just like to say I really like the new design. And the gun barrels of the original were always too long anyway.

#25 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:37 AM

I have been waiting a long time to see an updated Mad Dog Alex made a good looking mech... there were a few versions of the same mech that used different legs. this is the version I preferred http://assets.enjin....full/606084.jpg

#26 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:41 AM

I like this design, and people nowdays with their silly demands, personal letters, and loads of that cr@p is getting old fast. Be happy that PGI is improving and more.

I mean we have other things who are more important then just a visual fix.

Stop squeezing so many useless threads.

Edited by Sarlic, 24 September 2014 - 06:41 AM.

#27 Foxwalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 962 posts
  • LocationLost on Thunder Rift

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:47 AM

You got my vote.

Whinnyest silly post ever. Mech was free and looks pretty good to me. (Wish I had one).

As you said, "So considering the way in which we have gotten it, being heavily critical of the design may seem highly ungrateful." ...You think?

Some of my teammates have said as others here as well, hitboxes may need some work.

But here:
http://www.highgrowt...-gift-horse.png

#28 Sergeant Random

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 462 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:47 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 24 September 2014 - 05:55 AM, said:

I still want it Bishop, cankles and all. Not as badly as the King, but I want it. It's payday. The money that should probably be put towards.... oh, i dunno, eating... is just lying fallow. It's so SAD there, being unspent and whatnot.

Yay spending! Whales (don't) rule! (Or else, P2W)

View PostRangerGee412, on 24 September 2014 - 05:57 AM, said:

The original version looks cool but those pencil legs look like they could snap at any moment.

The new version looks like a proper mech that would be able to take damage.

Plus spider leg hitboxes are hard to hit.

#29 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:52 AM

Longer barrels, smaller legs with a more pronounced bend in the knee to get it more crouched. Done.

I like the design overall but some small tweaks would make it cooler

#30 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:54 AM

All good points raised by Bishop. I think he hit the nail on the head.

I still think it is an awesome looking mech. The Mad Dog design wise was always one of my favorites. Overall I like the look and am fairly happy. If I was to change anything on the mech, I would make the changes Bishop highlighted. If only one change could be made, give us the long gun barrels.

#31 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:54 AM

I think its fine, but would agree that longer barrels would make it sexier. Otherwise its probably for the best its not so wide front to back otherwise it will suffer the same fate as the Dragon.

#32 Maxx Blue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:56 AM

I could live with the legs.
I could live with the stubby nose (Honestly, it would either have side torsos like an awesome or a nose like a catapult in terms of explode-ability if it were as long as the original art!)
I don't even mind the shoulder position.
But those stubby little arms....yeah, that is a problem for me.

They badly need a longer structure out of the front of the arms. They don't have to be 'barrels', but there needs to be SOMETHING to make the lower arm long and slender, even when you have lasers mounted. As it is, it looks like the whole mech is about to fall over backwards.

All that said, based on the times I ran into MDD's last night, it is still a very effective mech, so I'm pretty sure everyone will still be playing the hell out of them, especially once they come out for MC and CBills.

#33 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:59 AM

I miss the longer barrels on the arms, thats it. The non (I) variants legs look about right to me.

#34 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:03 AM

Bishop, I can agree with you on most of the points, but this one:

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 September 2014 - 05:08 AM, said:

2) Long weapon arms? Nope. Stubby as heck. PGI modelers have done a lot of things right in this game, but the dynamic weapons are very hit and miss. In this instance, even using the generic "box" lasers, they are at the least, 2-3 times too short in barrel length. The PPC also could use a boost. This also largely points out the ludicrous nature of using the same little barrel for a .5 ton Small Laser and a 7 Ton Large Pulse Laser.

I deal with lasers a lot in my line of work, and there really isn't much of a physical size difference between a 1 mili-watt red laser and a 100 milli-watt Violet laser, there is a weight difference though. So long as the focusing lessens look different (colour) I don't have an issue with it. Also for a laser, it is kind of pointless to have a long barrel really so that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

As I had mentioned before, I think the Mad Dog is going to be the new whipping mech for the "Nerf the Clanz into the ground" group. It's a 60 tonner that moves like a medium, and hits harder than an assault mech with the right build... not heat efficient, but neither is the Timber Wolf if it goes for hitting like a truck freight train. And is very, very survivable due to the hit boxes and the way Clan XL engines work.

Edited by Metus regem, 24 September 2014 - 07:07 AM.

#35 Asyres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:05 AM

I might be alone in this, but I feel like the legs look fine. The T-rex arms I'm okay with too, even if they make it hard to shield the torso - but that's only because long laser barrels make the engineer in me sad.

That being said, I think a lot of the old TRO art is terrible, so that probably affects my opinion, too.

#36 Anarcho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 538 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:15 AM

I dunno how you guys can defend the old designs... they look horrible. They look like kids toys...

#37 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:24 AM

View PostAnarcho, on 24 September 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:

I dunno how you guys can defend the old designs... they look horrible. They look like kids toys...

Posted Image

#38 Anarcho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 538 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:27 AM

They do... every time I go to sarna for some info I laugh and thank god for the new re-designs...

#39 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:27 AM

the issue with the current legs is earodynamic. These mechs run 90kph, thats quite fast so they would have a bit more areodynamic designs from the front vew, because currently they would hinder the mechs speed a lot by being such a huge flat area.

The original legs were well shaped in earodynamic ways and got their durability by some depth.

Edited by Lily from animove, 24 September 2014 - 07:30 AM.

#40 Augustus Martelus II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 476 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMontréal, QC Canada

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:28 AM

Me its the dynamic place of missiles rack that annoye me. Try the 4 srm rack on each sides and it look strange

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users