Where The Mad Dog (Vulture) Went Oh So Wrong. Offically Closed! Problem Fixed!

223 replies to this topic

#81 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:43 AM

Bishop...remember when you got so defensive on PGIs behalf and called dario and others ungrateful for offering a potentially better way to have done something?

Hahaha....good times.

Now see, I could call you an ungrateful complainer for your constructive criticism of Alex's work and the PGI team's implementation of it...if I followed your previous line of thought on previous, similar threads. But you just made my point for me here so I leave with that.

As to your OP. I kind of like this rendition of the MDD myself although some minor tweaks not unlike what you ask about wouldnt hurt my feelings.

#82 Alaric Hasek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 169 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:19 PM

I've seen it in a few drops and I took a close look at a couple of Vultures - I like them. I'm not sure they look that much like the tabletop art, but then Vultures always looked terribly fragile. The ones I saw actually reminded me more of Warhammers in profile - low-slung single PPCs and a missle rack on top.

Watching them in games, they don't seem any more impressive that a Stormcrow, maybe less so?

#83 Asyres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:22 PM

View PostAlaric Hasek, on 24 September 2014 - 12:19 PM, said:

I've seen it in a few drops and I took a close look at a couple of Vultures - I like them. I'm not sure they look that much like the tabletop art, but then Vultures always looked terribly fragile. The ones I saw actually reminded me more of Warhammers in profile - low-slung single PPCs and a missle rack on top.

Watching them in games, they don't seem any more impressive that a Stormcrow, maybe less so?

I mean, they're five tons heavier, and 16.2kph slower. Basically, they trade speed for more armor and guns.

#84 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:40 PM

Mad Dog definitly looks like he needs some little blue pills for those pathetic little pew-pew arms.

i would in general like to see ALL laser visuals change depending on the size of the laser. Also make Pulse, ER, (and standards for IS) all look visually different. But thats just gravy on top of all of it.

#85 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:42 PM

View PostKamikazeRat, on 24 September 2014 - 12:40 PM, said:

Mad Dog definitly looks like he needs some little blue pills for those pathetic little pew-pew arms.

i would in general like to see ALL laser visuals change depending on the size of the laser. Also make Pulse, ER, (and standards for IS) all look visually different. But thats just gravy on top of all of it.

Why should they look different? It's better to keep them guessing as to what you are packing till you open up with them... on top of that a pulse laser just has a timing circuit put into it to make it pulse, so it should look no different from a standard laser.

#86 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:46 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 24 September 2014 - 12:42 PM, said:

Why should they look different? It's better to keep them guessing as to what you are packing till you open up with them... on top of that a pulse laser just has a timing circuit put into it to make it pulse, so it should look no different from a standard laser.

uh...cause it looks cooler? didnt think i'd need to explain that one...

also, variety, laser looks like a laser, but all the ACs look different, missle systems all look different. also, 90% of the time there is a little box in the corner that tells people what you have equipped....so...yeah.....not really gonna surprise me with which lasers you have.

#87 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:53 PM

The Gauss rifle should look different from an AC, a PPC should look different from a laser. But an ER-PPC should look like a PPC. missiles either SRM or LRM should look alike, just the missile count should be different.

Personally, I think having all the weapons look different would be stupid... but then again that's coming from what I do for a living. The only difference between the lasers should be the lens colour, corresponding to the beam wave length, Red-Green-Blue for IS and Pink-Yellow-Cyan for Clans.

Edited by Metus regem, 24 September 2014 - 12:53 PM.

#88 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:17 PM

I like the maddog, I like the way it looks, feels, moves and I don't have an issue with any of it.

If anything I think it's a fantastic face-lift and a clear upgrade over older work.

#89 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:19 PM

The current Mad dog looks very squashed...still cool looking, but the original still wins the cosmetic contest.

#90 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:35 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 24 September 2014 - 07:03 AM, said:

Bishop, I can agree with you on most of the points, but this one:

I deal with lasers a lot in my line of work, and there really isn't much of a physical size difference between a 1 mili-watt red laser and a 100 milli-watt Violet laser, there is a weight difference though. So long as the focusing lessens look different (colour) I don't have an issue with it. Also for a laser, it is kind of pointless to have a long barrel really so that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

As I had mentioned before, I think the Mad Dog is going to be the new whipping mech for the "Nerf the Clanz into the ground" group. It's a 60 tonner that moves like a medium, and hits harder than an assault mech with the right build... not heat efficient, but neither is the Timber Wolf if it goes for hitting like a truck freight train. And is very, very survivable due to the hit boxes and the way Clan XL engines work.

Are your lasers for military application?

For them to be 6.5 tons difference and the same size implies a lot of dead space in the .5 ton one. Miltary weapons are only as large as needed. I don't claim to be a laser engineer, so IDK exactly what comprises the weight, but you are talking over 600% increase in mass.

View PostEcliptor, on 24 September 2014 - 08:04 AM, said:

I own that old armourcast mad dog :)

been trying to find one (affordably) for years. I had the summoner, and meant to get the Mad Dog... never happened.

#91 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:40 PM

I agree, the arms are way to short.

But I'm okay with the legs. There are so many original artworks of certain 'Mechs with legs so thin you wouldn't believe they could ever walk without breaking.

#92 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:42 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 September 2014 - 01:35 PM, said:

Are your lasers for military application?

For them to be 6.5 tons difference and the same size implies a lot of dead space in the .5 ton one. Miltary weapons are only as large as needed. I don't claim to be a laser engineer, so IDK exactly what comprises the weight, but you are talking over 600% increase in mass.

been trying to find one (affordably) for years. I had the summoner, and meant to get the Mad Dog... never happened.

I'd love to talk about what they get used for Bishop, but they are attached to several classified projects, and well this really isn't the place to discuss something like that.

I can tell you about how we've managed to prove that we can use them to make an object move in space through diamagnetism. In-fact we are secluded to be putting the prototype into space in the next couple of years to prove that it can be used to move a satellite, as a new form of space propulsion. I can provide links to videos to where we proved the theory in a controlled environment if you'd like.

#93 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:59 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 24 September 2014 - 01:42 PM, said:

I'd love to talk about what they get used for Bishop, but they are attached to several classified projects, and well this really isn't the place to discuss something like that.

I can tell you about how we've managed to prove that we can use them to make an object move in space through diamagnetism. In-fact we are secluded to be putting the prototype into space in the next couple of years to prove that it can be used to move a satellite, as a new form of space propulsion. I can provide links to videos to where we proved the theory in a controlled environment if you'd like.

sounds interesting, actually, even if I would need the "laser for dummies" version.

What I am curious is what would comprise most of the "barrel" of the laser, which I can only assume is a hold over from when people didn't know better (though a gun barrel is also by nature a very tough, and hard to externally damage target, thus, maybe they would be tougher? :wacko: )

I know some of the aerial use lasers being theory crafted and such for future aircraft seemed to be a bubble shaped lense on the aircraft with actuating lenses inside allowing for a pretty insane field of fire.
lenses, Regardless, be it capacitors, lenses, actuators, or whatever. Most the military is testing seems to be some form of chemical laser, but I would guess the Battletech ones to be Diode or Free Electron Lasers of some sort?

​Anyhow, what comprises most of the mass differencebetween systems like LaWS or the YAL1 COIL system?

#94 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:10 PM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 24 September 2014 - 06:21 AM, said:

The New Mad Dog looks bad. And that's all that really needs to be said.

This is what it should look like in a modern game:

Posted Image

That's from Assault Tech (by MekTek). Smooth, rounded edges, No LEGO blocks, proper classic look all the way back from MW2,

just those legs would be enough to make me swoon.

View PostSarlic, on 24 September 2014 - 06:41 AM, said:

I like this design, and people nowdays with their silly demands, personal letters, and loads of that cr@p is getting old fast. Be happy that PGI is improving and more.

I mean we have other things who are more important then just a visual fix.

Stop squeezing so many useless threads.

stop commenting on them, then you wont have to offend your eyes by looking at them. Silly rabbit.

View PostFoxwalker, on 24 September 2014 - 06:47 AM, said:

You got my vote.

Whinnyest silly post ever. Mech was free and looks pretty good to me. (Wish I had one).

As you said, "So considering the way in which we have gotten it, being heavily critical of the design may seem highly ungrateful." ...You think?

Some of my teammates have said as others here as well, hitboxes may need some work.

But here:
http://www.highgrowt...-gift-horse.png

which is why oddly your opinion is in the stark minority here. Huh. ;)

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 24 September 2014 - 06:54 AM, said:

All good points raised by Bishop. I think he hit the nail on the head.

I still think it is an awesome looking mech. The Mad Dog design wise was always one of my favorites. Overall I like the look and am fairly happy. If I was to change anything on the mech, I would make the changes Bishop highlighted. If only one change could be made, give us the long gun barrels.

and I'm the flip side of that coin. I'd be fine with the arms....if the legs were fixed, lol.

Neither is going to happen, but what the haters don't get....is the Devs do read this. And if it can impact how they think through future designs, it is worth it.

View PostBrody319, on 24 September 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

Looks the same as the pictures to me

http://www.mayoclini...on/prc-20019041

;)

#95 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:18 PM

View PostEdustaja, on 24 September 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

It's fine. Stop your bellyaching about minor cosmetics.

only if you quit your bellyaching about my bellyaching.

#96 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:18 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 September 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

sounds interesting, actually, even if I would need the "laser for dummies" version.

What I am curious is what would comprise most of the "barrel" of the laser, which I can only assume is a hold over from when people didn't know better (though a gun barrel is also by nature a very tough, and hard to externally damage target, thus, maybe they would be tougher? :wacko: )

I know some of the aerial use lasers being theory crafted and such for future aircraft seemed to be a bubble shaped lense on the aircraft with actuating lenses inside allowing for a pretty insane field of fire.
lenses, Regardless, be it capacitors, lenses, actuators, or whatever. Most the military is testing seems to be some form of chemical laser, but I would guess the Battletech ones to be Diode or Free Electron Lasers of some sort?

​Anyhow, what comprises most of the mass differencebetween systems like LaWS or the YAL1 COIL system?

I know that later in the time like the Hell's Horses do go about using Chemical Lasers, starting in 3059....

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Lasers

Honestly I couldn't tell you about those differences between the LaWS or the YAL 1 COIL system, as I don't have anything to do with those projects, my company works more on the advanced protoypes. And I just work in the advanced weapons division of my company.

#97 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:22 PM

View PostDomoneky, on 24 September 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

Bishop I'm gonna have to disagree with you however I do respect your opinion. Personally I like the new look. To me it seems more viable. The older designs had the legs too skinny for my tastes like it skipped leg day or something. The newer designs have it where the legs are large enough to support the upper frame of the Mech itself. Granted the Barrels could be longer. It would be nice to see larger focusing lenses between sizes but all in all I like this new design.

Now to the ones who want to lynch me for even stating my opinion...Too bad.

get a rope. :ph34r:

View PostMischiefSC, on 24 September 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

The problem with digitigrade legs is that they need to be semi-erect to work. If they have it rigged to anything like physics for moving you can't have something as steep as the original artwork and have it look right when walking. It's unstable as hell.

It's the animation of digitigrade leg movement that creates a problem, you get an extreme version of a chicken-walk.

Also... armor. It's supposed to have armor. If you can have a pencil-thin War Dog leg sport about the same armor as the Thor leg... why are the thors legs 10x bigger? Bad armor? Wasted mass in exoskeleton?

Without that sort of continuity you have artwork that doesn't give with everything else.

so how did 3 previous MW iteration get the walking animation right?

#98 Edustaja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:26 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 September 2014 - 02:18 PM, said:

only if you quit your bellyaching about my bellyaching.

Deal :)

#99 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:28 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 September 2014 - 02:22 PM, said:

so how did 3 previous MW iteration get the walking animation right?

I'd go so far as to say MW 4, didn't.

#100 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:29 PM

View PostLukoi Banacek, on 24 September 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

Bishop...remember when you got so defensive on PGIs behalf and called dario and others ungrateful for offering a potentially better way to have done something?

Hahaha....good times.

Now see, I could call you an ungrateful complainer for your constructive criticism of Alex's work and the PGI team's implementation of it...if I followed your previous line of thought on previous, similar threads. But you just made my point for me here so I leave with that.

As to your OP. I kind of like this rendition of the MDD myself although some minor tweaks not unlike what you ask about wouldnt hurt my feelings.

pretty sure there is a significant difference between critiquing a design, and demanding PGI change how they do a give away of stuff they didn't even have to give away.

And as stated in a previous reply on this thread, it's more food for thought for future designs, much as my thread about weapon scaling. It's unlikely they will do anything excessive to stuff already IN game. But pointing out stuff in the hopes of seeing it avoided in the future?

One can hope.

27 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 27 guests, 0 anonymous users