Is Not Mounting Ecm Ever Justifiable?

127 replies to this topic

#121 King Arthur IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:20 PM

View PostTarogato, on 26 September 2014 - 01:11 PM, said:

* (you can lock friendlies, and this allows you to see their paperdoll and loadout, and they get a blue box instead of red)

pffft... you mean chilly or sea salt flavour dorito, have come consistency!

#122 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:11 AM

No.

#123 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:36 AM

yes

#124 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:16 AM

It's so unjustifiable that just asking "Is not mounting ECM ever justifiable?" is not justifiable.

#125 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:43 PM

View Postaniviron, on 26 September 2014 - 07:07 PM, said:

The only builds I have ever even considered not running ECM on are KFX-D variants. There's something to be said for the Splatfox, 4SRM6. It's hard to say if the loss of ECM makes up for the greatly increased damage potential. The KFX-C arm with ECM is just such a huge hindrance, since the other arm is going to have a max of two hardpoints, and then at best you're putting two MGs in the torsi. That means you need to make a three-weapon mech work, which can be done, but leaves you lacking punch.

Of course, if you're running LRMs, there's no reason not to just go with http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a42c047d79eccaa which only sacrifices 5 tubes and one ton of ammo over the default build, and gets ECM and a laser in exchange.

I would say TAG over the CERMED, but then I'd be called a heathen or a pariah...

:ph34r:

#126 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:53 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 27 September 2014 - 01:43 PM, said:

I would say TAG over the CERMED, but then I'd be called a heathen or a pariah...

:ph34r:

It's really flexible. TAG, cERml or just more ammo are all good choices. Maybe even a pair of jumpjets. None are bad choices, and all will serve you well, depending on the map. It's hard to say which one you want in advance, though. :]

#127 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:56 PM

View PostMarsAtlas, on 25 September 2014 - 08:55 AM, said:

Every now and then I encounter variant in Mechwarrior Online that can mount ECM not utilizing the mount, and pretty much every time I see them, they're ironically torn apart by LRMs or abandoned by teammates because, well, would you stick around the guy who has the sense, or lack thereof, to pilot a Atlas D-DC without ECM? I also see a lot of Kitfox pilots not using the arm omnipod that contains the ECM, and while there are different potential weapon mounts for each arm, I'm skeptical as to whether they're more valuable than ECM. Its also very light, 1.5 tons Inner Sphere, 1 ton Clan.

I just personally can't see how not mounting ECM can really be justifiable outside of an extremely organized team-drop. Anybody have any counter-points?

NO.

Not on a mech that can equip it. Blasphemy.

#128 Kassatsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:04 PM

View PostDocBach, on 26 September 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

A lot of people think balance is in the best spot its been in since the game launched the closed beta -- that said, ECM is just a poorly implemented mechanic and information warfare can be changed to be better without relegating ECM useless as a missile cancelling system or team stealth system (which currently actually makes Stealth armor obsolete before we ever get it, if PGI ever decides to fast forward the time line for expansion packs with new weapons and equipment).

Stealth armor is also supposed to remove your heat signature, so there's that. Cause thermal vision is just SO useful, right? I guess you could pretend to be shut down and people wouldn't realize it until you spin around and blast them in the face, but since you've already exposed your rear to an alpha (or three)... Totally worthless item that shouldn't ever get added because ECM already does that for you and every teammate within 180 meters for 1.5 tons, 2 crits and exactly zero penalties. Though if just adding stealth armor took say, 6 crit slots, had the same weight and damage ratios as standard armor with no heat penalties, then maybe I could see a use for it... On ECM mechs.

EDIT: I've got it! You equip stealth armor on an AC40 jagermech and put a 70/30 rear/front armor ratio. Then spin around when an enemy runs up behind you and starts shooting and kill him. Best item ever.

Edited by Kassatsu, 27 September 2014 - 02:11 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users