Mad Dog Too Fragile

36 replies to this topic

#1 Delas Ting Usee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 548 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:19 PM

Hmmm, even when playing conservatively, it just seems so fragile.
Side torsos go in a blink of an eye.
All you other Mad Doggies pilots out there having the same experience?
Share your thoughts?

#2 Lord de Seis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationEdmonton Alberta, Canada

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:20 PM

Trade off for the amount of damage they can output, they seem fine to me.

#3 ColonelMetus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 430 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:25 PM

in the opening cinematic for mechwarrior 4:Vengeance, Dressari's maddog takes tons of damage with out going down. thing tanks PPCS and LRMS like there is no tomorrow before he dies and now revenge will happen

#4 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:25 PM

I haven't driven one, but they definitely do seem to go pop relatively quickly. Carrying the armor of a 60 tonner doesn't help matters.

#5 Kilo 40

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:27 PM

It's a support mech

#6 Delas Ting Usee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 548 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:32 PM

@Fup Dub - I agree. It's almost like it has the armour of a medium - a lightly armoured medium.

@ Lord De Sais - I agree the trade off is fair...but I personally think the mad dog needs just a slight tweak with it's hit boxes much like how the dragon's centre hitboxes got tweaked way back when.

Still it seems to me that the mad dog should be regulated to a support role.
Seems a shame though, as it's classified as a heavy and there's nothing it can do that a timber wolf can't.

#7 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:35 PM

View PostDelas Ting Usee, on 26 September 2014 - 09:32 PM, said:

@Fup Dub - I agree. It's almost like it has the armour of a medium - a lightly armoured medium.

@ Lord De Sais - I agree the trade off is fair...but I personally think the mad dog needs just a slight tweak with it's hit boxes much like how the dragon's centre hitboxes got tweaked way back when.

Still it seems to me that the mad dog should be regulated to a support role.
Seems a shame though, as it's classified as a heavy and there's nothing it can do that a timber wolf can't.

100+ pt alpha's. It is a glass cannon.

#8 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:48 PM

full disclosure:I don't have a Mad Dog.

It can only bring a fraction more armor than a 55 ton medium ,so I'm going to go with "yes"

#9 Ghostwolfe

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 85 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:50 PM

From what I've been seeing , Mad Dog pilots are mostly running in like they are an assault mech and getting pounded fast and hard. It's a 60 ton support mech and I'm not seeing it played like one.

#10 Mordin Ashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:56 PM

Apologies but I fail to see the purpose of this topic. Yes, it is fragile. It is tall and only a 60 tonner meaning its armor can be ripped open in one well-placed alpha and taken away by second one. Even the prodigal Timber Wolf isn't immune to that, I end up most of my games in TW with only a running half-mech, it gets stripped very fast.

Right now there are two things one can do to stay alive longer. First, stay at range. Mad Dog is a fire support, very good one at that, but it is far from being a good brawler. No JJs and such.
Second, you can use the current influx of Dire Wolves in game and simply stand a personal guard to one. The DW will be happy because you will cover his flank, you have always something to hide behind and your team will be happy because the team's workhorses will stay alive longer, thus increasing your chance for victory.

Edited by Mordin Ashe, 26 September 2014 - 09:58 PM.

#11 Firemage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 120 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:08 PM

So i've long mastered and played Dragons, and i have to just say, WELCOME TO 60 TON game play. You can't tank damage like a 75 toner you have you keep moving like a medium. Also the Mad Dog has the same basic pod space of a T Wolf after you max the armor. So really you still carry a boat ton of firepower. Even more so considering the weight of Clan weapons.

#12 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:18 PM

View PostFiremage, on 26 September 2014 - 10:08 PM, said:

So i've long mastered and played Dragons, and i have to just say, WELCOME TO 60 TON game play. You can't tank damage like a 75 toner you have you keep moving like a medium. Also the Mad Dog has the same basic pod space of a T Wolf after you max the armor. So really you still carry a boat ton of firepower. Even more so considering the weight of Clan weapons.

In other words....welcome to the bottom of a weight class.

20 ton lights
40 ton mediums
60 ton heavies
80 ton assaults

Just won't take damage like their upper tier brethren.

#13 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:19 PM

A lot of Vulture pilots I see run in like there's no tomorrow and try and point blank half the other team. From what I understood, the Vulture was always a long range support 'Mech. Just because it can run large amounts of SRMs doesn't mean it should.

The more successful ones stick back on the second and third lines of battle and pepper the opponents with LRMs before engaging in mid range combat with lasers. Haven't actually seen any use ballistics yet.

#14 Reitrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:23 PM

Mine survives plenty of punishment.
The biggest hurdle is learning to stop presenting your massive side torsos when in close range.
The extremely narrow profile lets it facetank wonderfully in brawls.

#15 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:24 PM

View PostColonelMetus, on 26 September 2014 - 09:25 PM, said:

in the opening cinematic for mechwarrior 4:Vengeance, Dressari's maddog takes tons of damage with out going down. thing tanks PPCS and LRMS like there is no tomorrow before he dies and now revenge will happen

i also watched this movie once and this dude got shot like 10 times, bombs hitting him and spear through the heart and he still didn't go down.
My COD and BF gaming experience was so ruined.

on another note.

this is why we need weight balancing and not class balancing. lighter chassis of a class have a harder time to compete with the heavier chassis with the current game mechanics.

Edited by King Arthur IV, 26 September 2014 - 10:30 PM.

#16 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:25 PM

its a support hit N run mech, using speed and torso twisting as part of your defense.

#17 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:25 PM

View PostAUSwarrior24, on 26 September 2014 - 10:19 PM, said:

A lot of Vulture pilots I see run in like there's no tomorrow and try and point blank half the other team. From what I understood, the Vulture was always a long range support 'Mech. Just because it can run large amounts of SRMs doesn't mean it should.

The more successful ones stick back on the second and third lines of battle and pepper the opponents with LRMs before engaging in mid range combat with lasers. Haven't actually seen any use ballistics yet.

One of the stock loadouts is a load of SRMs, so it's not "always a long range support mech". Mad dog A stock is 6 SRM6s.

#18 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:41 PM

It's the same tonnage as the Dragon, with a similar profile, but taller. What were you expecting?

At least it does tons and tons of damage, unlike the Dragon.

#19 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:00 PM

This mech is the same way the Vindicator is. Everyone bitched about it being weak, underarmored and armed, and fairly useless. Well, that's because they're both second line mechs. They're not meant to go toe to toe with a first liner, but sit back and assist/ambush/snipe/try not to take damage.

Granted, I don't have the issue others are seeming to have. The first 4 games I played were between all 3 STOCK variants of the Mad Dog (2 games in 1 of the variants) and I came out with 9 kills and 0 deaths. Its a different kind of mech than people are used to, whiners will whine about it not being their face bumping tanks they're used to.

#20 9thDeathscream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 563 posts
  • LocationDown Under. 260 pinging.

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:20 AM

They don't come with full armour as default + they are support

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users