For Science, Need Player From Permanent Contracted Unit

22 replies to this topic

#1 Scratx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:30 PM

I'd like someone to run a little experiment. For SCIENCE! Of course.

Relax, it shouldn't hurt you. ^_^

First, leave the unit (OMG OMG... relax)

Then, see what is the stated duration of your current contract.

Then, see if you can even break contract, and if the option exists, what does it say?

Then.... go rejoin your unit and let us know! (See? No harm done ;) )

Why, you might ask?

Because I want to know if joining a unit under a permanent contract causes you to inherit a permanent contract as well, and whether you even can break such a contract.

If you do, and you can't, then joining ANY unit with a permanent contract is a TRAP. ;)

Thank you for your attention and cooperation, fellow Mechwarriors. ^_^

#2 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:20 PM

Even if it was permanent, I'm sure asking support they could have that removed. Its not fair if your unit locks you into a faction you hate.

#3 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:26 PM

I was randomly switched to Kurita from Wolf so I had 2 days to wait

#4 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:28 PM

I have done this. It is inadvisable, and I am pretty annoyed about it.

I left my FRR unit, and although I hadn't ever chosen a permanent contract (the unit had), I had to pay a 1,150,000 cbill penalty to break my permanent contract with the FRR. (23 days or something?) I now need to wait 48 hours before I can join my new unit.

It should be cbills or time at the very worst, not both.

#5 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:39 PM

View PostJohn1352, on 15 December 2014 - 09:28 PM, said:

I left my FRR unit, and although I hadn't ever chosen a permanent contract (the unit had), I had to pay a 1,150,000 cbill penalty to break my permanent contract with the FRR. (23 days or something?) I now need to wait 48 hours before I can join my new unit.

That's super lame. I guess they don't want people reaping the benefits of a permanent contract while not having the drawback.

It seems like the duration and the faction should be separate choices. Like, your unit can have a permanent contract, but you can have one of any duration and have it auto-renew so long as you are a member of that unit.

Can the leader change the unit's faction? If so, it seems like the penalties for that should come from the coffer. If the unit can't afford it, the leader should be told to go pound sand.

#6 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:11 PM

That answers both questions... it's costly as eff, but permanent contracts can be broken. And joining a faction can get you stuck with a permanent contract.

Just as I suspected. Well, not absolutely horrible since you aren't stuck if you are willing to part with the c-bills... sucks, though.

#7 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:37 AM

I logged in after the patch and my former unit went clans, so, without been given a choice my faction was also changed to Clans.

I then had to break contract (500k) and now have to wait 48hrs before I can play with my regular IS friends again. Really ****** way of going about it.

View PostFelio, on 15 December 2014 - 10:39 PM, said:

That's super lame. I guess they don't want people reaping the benefits of a permanent contract while not having the drawback.

It seems like the duration and the faction should be separate choices. Like, your unit can have a permanent contract, but you can have one of any duration and have it auto-renew so long as you are a member of that unit.

Can the leader change the unit's faction? If so, it seems like the penalties for that should come from the coffer. If the unit can't afford it, the leader should be told to go pound sand.

This.

"Your unit has accepted a contract for Clan Ghost Bear for 21 days. Do you accept?"

The problem I can see is what happens if your unit's contract is shorter than your own, and then they switch allegiances. What happens then?

This sort of thing should really have been worked out before going live, because right now it's a real pain in the arse trying to find the right unit to join, especially when you can only try a different one every 48hrs if you don't like them.

#8 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:23 AM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 16 December 2014 - 12:37 AM, said:

"Your unit has accepted a contract for Clan Ghost Bear for 21 days. Do you accept?"

The problem I can see is what happens if your unit's contract is shorter than your own, and then they switch allegiances. What happens then?

This sort of thing should really have been worked out before going live, because right now it's a real pain in the arse trying to find the right unit to join, especially when you can only try a different one every 48hrs if you don't like them.

It's this obsession they have with CW being all about units and 12-mans. They should have just made units allow players of any combination of factions, and then if you want to drop in CW together you have to be of the same faction. Separate the two things completely.

If players want a "pure" unit, they will do that. Forcing it is just always going to cause problems for somebody. Who the hell cares if there's a multi-faction unit in the non-CW queues? They need to stop making things so damn complicated for themselves.

#9 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:33 AM

All I know is that when I joined my unit, I was placed on a perm contract. No clue if leaving the unit would set me back to having no contract as was the case before I joined.

#10 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:07 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 16 December 2014 - 07:33 AM, said:

All I know is that when I joined my unit, I was placed on a perm contract. No clue if leaving the unit would set me back to having no contract as was the case before I joined.

Spoiler: It doesn't

#11 NeoLux

Rookie

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:54 AM

Leaving a unit should also cancel the contract as the contract is with the unit and not the player.
Please fix ty

#12 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:03 AM

View PostBrody319, on 15 December 2014 - 09:20 PM, said:

Even if it was permanent, I'm sure asking support they could have that removed. Its not fair if your unit locks you into a faction you hate.

Um... What?
You Like Kurita (for instance)
Your CO takes a contract for Steiner.
You're working for Steiner now and not a DCMS.
You fly the flag of the contracting house.

#13 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:06 AM

why don't you make another testaccoutn for this? then you cna test whatever oyu want as much as you want. Is easier han asking people.

View PostNeoLux, on 09 January 2015 - 05:54 AM, said:

Leaving a unit should also cancel the contract as the contract is with the unit and not the player.
Please fix ty

thats exploitable, because a unit breakign the contract has to pay per duration and member. and so they cna cheaply break a contract by: everyone leaves, the unit for low amount breaks the contract, everyone joins, happiness.

Edited by Lily from animove, 09 January 2015 - 06:08 AM.

#14 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:35 AM

Permanent contract is permanent.

I think you're lucky you have the option to break it at all.

And yes, I'm on a permanent contract. Have no intention of trying to break it, which is why I selected "permanent".

#15 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:37 AM

View PostNeoLux, on 09 January 2015 - 05:54 AM, said:

Please fix ty

For an individual or the whole unit?

#16 Kirkland Langue

• Bad Company
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:06 AM

One idea that others have mentioned, and I believe it is the right idea even though PGI would have to sink significant development time into it, is for every account to have multiple pilots.

When a player creates an account (or logs in the first time after the patch was implemented) - they are first prompted to create a Pilot. Each pilot has it's own name and it's own Faction. Each Mech would have a pilot assigned to it, You can change which pilot is assigned though IS pilots couldn't board Clan Mechs, and vice versa, unless/until a time in which there is a Pilot Skill allowing the pilot to board a different mech.

#17 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:49 AM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 16 December 2014 - 12:37 AM, said:

But CW isn't "Live"

It's Beta. [yes I know the joke will come out about that]

The CW mode is in beta, it's not fully released... it's being used as a testing ground to find out what works and what doesn't! So use this time to critique the F out of it!

View PostOldOrgandonor, on 09 January 2015 - 06:35 AM, said:

Permanent contract is permanent.

I think you're lucky you have the option to break it at all.

And yes, I'm on a permanent contract. Have no intention of trying to break it, which is why I selected "permanent".

Your unit takes on a perminant contract.

You end up falling out with your unit, but do not wish to be Liao anymore for [insert reason here]

Why should you be punished for having a falling out with your unit and leaving it?

#18 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:00 PM

The only players that should have contracts are Lone Wolves.

All other players should be under the contract of their unit. If they leave the unit, that contract should no longer apply to them. The contract isn't with the individual MechWarrior, it's with the unit.

Yeah, sure, that means players could basically switch contracts at will by hopping around between units. But, really... who cares?

#19 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:04 PM

I know they really need to rework contracts, as being a Merc ultimately, I'd like to be able to pick any side at virtually any time to be paid for (winning) matches... instead of whatever we have right now, which is "joining a faction" for a limited time always fighting for it (although, there is "loyalty" in the sense that if one gets paid often enough from one faction... well, you know the deal).

#20 Eboli

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:12 PM

View PostJohn1352, on 15 December 2014 - 09:28 PM, said:

Yep, this. I joined a unit for CW purposes and did not realise that the Unit was on a permanent contract with Steiner. Once realising that CW is not the bee knees I left and went to rejoin by original unit of whom I am a founder.

To do so I had to pay a 23 day (50,000 CBill/day) penalty to get out of "my" permanent contract. I was not particularly pleased over this so the lesson learned is DO NOT join a unit until you find out what type of contact such unit is on.

I would assume that if you wanted to join another unit that had a permanent contract with the same Faction there would be no penalty.

Cheers
Eboli

Edited by Eboli, 09 January 2015 - 01:20 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users