242 replies to this topic

#21 Milocinia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:49 PM

Interesting question... but has PGI actually contacted HG to discuss the situation?

#22 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:50 PM

That is one sexy mech. Would buy a pack if that thing came in it.

#23 Texugo87

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 179 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:51 PM

View PostYoseful Mallad, on 27 September 2014 - 03:46 PM, said:

and most understand this. But look at the other Un-seen Re-seen mechs that we just got (Phoenix Mech). Yeah PGI has gotten the rights to use the Crusher Joe Mechs... Battle Master, Locust, Wolverine, Shadow Hawk, Griffon and Thunderbolt. And yeah they dont have to worry about litigation. But what did PGI do anyway? They still re-designed each of these mechs based off of their Phoenix Mech profiles and they all still came out IMO better looking than the original designs that they could legally use. PGI has the rights to do any of the Phoenix mechs... so that means the Marauder and Marauder 2 and 2C, as well as the Riflemen mechs and Warhammer mechs and Archer mechs, can all be done and added based off of the Phoenix Mech art. And PGI can re-design them in their own image just like they did with every other mech in this game.

as i said above, HG cant claim anything if PGI just goes off of the Phoenix Mech Art and re-image the mech as they see fit.

I agree with you that it sucks. The problem is that while HG's claim likely wouldn't be successful they could still try, and hope they cause enough headaches for PGI that they are willing to settle even though it's unlikely HG would succeed. From what I remember of looking to past litigation around the unseen that is what I expect HG would do. I would also be willing to bet that HG has deeper pockets than PGI.

#24 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:52 PM

But either way I keep saying to myself, as much as I adore the Marauder... it just doesn't look IS in any way. It just doesn't FIT.

I know I know I need to inflict serious harm upon myself. I just cannot see an IS Marauder working in this particular game.

#25 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:54 PM

99% chance it's legal.

Do you seriously think they wouldn't have simultaneously made more money, and more BT fans happy by including Marauder or Warhammer in the Phoenix pack over the Thunderbolt?

#26 Tezcatli

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:57 PM

Couldn't they just offer them a cut of the profits? Not even to use the original art. Just some hush money to avoid a pointless legal battle. Since HG would lose some money too in the process. Instead they both make some money. HG from an IP they can't seem to make any use of.

Edited by Tezcatli, 27 September 2014 - 03:58 PM.

#27 Scratx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:04 PM

View PostShalune, on 27 September 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

99% chance it's legal.

Do you seriously think they wouldn't have simultaneously made more money, and more BT fans happy by including Marauder or Warhammer in the Phoenix pack over the Thunderbolt?

Likely would've, but unlike the Marauder/Warhammer, the IP owners of the art behind the Phoenix mechs are not <self censors some very not nice words and descriptions>.

View PostTezcatli, on 27 September 2014 - 03:57 PM, said:

Couldn't they just offer them a cut of the profits? Not even to use the original art. Just some hush money to avoid a pointless legal battle. Since HG would lose some money too in the process. Instead they both make some money. HG from an IP they can't seem to make any use of.

Would HG settle for reasonable terms? Or any terms at all? They're trying to do new Robotech products, they may just feel allowing MWO to use the likeness of any of their robots would dilute their IP.

Honestly, I'd just avoid anything HG has staked a claim on and avoid the f'ing lawyering. That's the smart thing to do businesswise, even if it hurts the loyal fanbase because we're missing some of the iconic mechs.

#28 BumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 527 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:07 PM

View PostIceSerpent, on 27 September 2014 - 03:20 PM, said:

"Old Guard" are the only people who even know what a Marauder is, you can easily fool the rest of the playerbase by creating an oversized Shadow Hawk and naming it "Marauder". The big question is if it's not an original, why bother with it at all?

By the way, "reseen" Marauder is very ugly:

Posted Image

Actually, I like it. Sure, it doesnt look a lot like the Officer Pod, but that is the point.

The redesign art would fit into MWO with very little tweaking needed too.

#29 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:09 PM

Also a lot of people dont seem to realize that PGI doesn't own the IP of mechwarrior/Battletech, they are only licensed to use it to make a PC game. Fighting over the IP is not PGI's business.

#30 BourbonFaucet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 767 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:13 PM

So lemme get this straight,

If PGI were to create a 16 legged 'mech with three arms and title it "marauder", HG would still flip their **** because they're waiting for the use of that name?

It's funny to think about.

#31 Spr1ggan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:24 PM

View PostTechorse, on 27 September 2014 - 04:13 PM, said:

So lemme get this straight,

If PGI were to create a 16 legged 'mech with three arms and title it "marauder", HG would still flip their **** because they're waiting for the use of that name?

It's funny to think about.

No. Only if it resembles the original design. HG have no claim at all on the names.

#32 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:33 PM

View PostKyocera, on 27 September 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

Interesting question... but has PGI actually contacted HG to discuss the situation?

I've always wonder what the exact amount HG wants in royalties is. It must be an insane number.

#33 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:45 PM

Harmony Gold.. they want it ALL, after that.. they want more.

#34 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:55 PM

View PostKevjack, on 27 September 2014 - 04:33 PM, said:

I've always wonder what the exact amount HG wants in royalties is. It must be an insane number.

Yeah if it was easy as just negotiating a percentage then we wouldn't have to worry... but...

#35 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:02 PM

View PostShalune, on 27 September 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

99% chance it's legal.

HG are known for being {Richard Cameron} =l Some reseen mechs in the later MW games were forced back to Unseen afterwards because HG just hates battletech. This is why we have no longbow or other mechs that became unseen then reseen then reunseen.

#36 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:47 PM

Kitbash it!

Just kidding, don't be so serious. :ph34r:

Edited by Grey Ghost, 27 September 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#37 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:23 PM

Because the following scenario.

PGi makes robot.
Harmony gold sues.
Court has to investigate.
Robot release delayed.
More money poured into 'investigation.'
Months or years later, it's found that PGI were in the right, but no one cares at this point.

#38 Reitrix

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:47 PM

PGi should do an "Unseen Kickstarter", using all proceeds to pressure HG into giving up its claims >_>

#39 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:53 PM

Either way the "Marauder" must follow certain design cues. HG will then pick up on the Marauder name and find these certain "cues" in its design. They are happy to proceed tentative legal action which neither PGI nor the players here want.

For crying out loud just look at the unseen and reseen Marauder (those reseen with big unseen cues). How much does this mech NOT fit in with everything Alex has done with this game so far?

The Marauder just does not work within IS lore at all! And this is coming from an IS fan! It is a mech, which we know and love massively, that just doesn't have a place within the design structure of MWO.

I want to see it too but for crying out loud, IT JUST WILL NOT WORK. Please, for this generation just put the Marauder to bed for the love of Kerensky.

Edited by Kyocera, 27 September 2014 - 06:53 PM.

#40 Iron Riding Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:08 PM

View PostKyocera, on 27 September 2014 - 06:53 PM, said:

Either way the "Marauder" must follow certain design cues. HG will then pick up on the Marauder name and find these certain "cues" in its design. They are happy to proceed tentative legal action which neither PGI nor the players here want.

For crying out loud just look at the unseen and reseen Marauder (those reseen with big unseen cues). How much does this mech NOT fit in with everything Alex has done with this game so far?

The Marauder just does not work within IS lore at all! And this is coming from an IS fan! It is a mech, which we know and love massively, that just doesn't have a place within the design structure of MWO.

I want to see it too but for crying out loud, IT JUST WILL NOT WORK. Please, for this generation just put the Marauder to bed for the love of Kerensky.

when the king crab looks much like the reseen Marauder i think it fits in with IS just fine hell chang the name to Mad crab so HG will not pick up on it ill be okay with that

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Iron Riding Cowboy, 27 September 2014 - 07:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users